1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Dangertrout, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Echo Nacyl

Echo Nacyl Well-Known Member

OMG! OMG! OMG!
    After 5797 SRs (and nearly 3 months), shiny Cyndaquil has appeared to kick off my SS BQ. He's male and Lax (like so many of my random shinies) and just so adorable <3

Katsume - Cyndaquil.jpg

Also caught a shiny Fletchling while EV training Tauros again, but that's not important.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

What do you guys do to pass the time in badge quests anyway? On another note, why is it called a "Badge Quest" anyway?

3. AquaRegisteel

AquaRegisteel Face Oblivion

Badge Quests are named that because you literally catch a shiny for each gym badge. In S/M they're Trial Quests instead, because there are no gyms.

Hey everyone, congrats on the recent shinies! In particular, cpchris on your Gligar and Roselia.

I haven't hunted in my SS BQ in 2 weeks now, mainly because I got busy with college work. Hopefully I can do more this weekend. I'm looking forward to when I can hunt freely during the summer before going to University, honestly. I'd be more successful with my hunts hopefully. In other hunts, I've not touched Onix since going over 100 eggs, and I started SRing Dratini in HG in the Game Corner.

Good luck everyone!

4. Flan

Flan loves birbs.

Hey everyone. So as per usual, it's been a while since the last time I've posted.
    I've since moved away for a semester to study abroad in Argentina, as I'm lucky enough to go to a college that offers such a program at no extra cost, so life has been busy.
    However, in my downtime as I read my historical papers or relax before bed, I've been doing a lot of Masuda Method egg hatching, which has produced a nice amount of shinies despite my general collegiate business.

I've somehow been able to hatch a shiny Starly, Vullaby, Charmander, Fennekin, Froakie, Noibat, Honedge, Tyrunt, Growlithe, and Kangaskhan. I've been awfully, ridiculously fortunate with hunts lately.
    Right now, I'm on the hunt for an Adamant HA shiny Fletching with all the proper egg moves so that I can use my birb in competitive play. I don't know how many eggs into the hunt I am, but it's definitely not that much--maybe only a little over 100+. I'll keep you all updated!

Anyways, congratulations to Echo Nacyl on the success with Cyndaquil and Cpchris on shiny Roselia! Hopefully, you'll get that Ralts--with enough effort, you eventually will.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  5. TheMaster327

TheMaster327 Well-Known Member

So tonight ended my 5th hunt on my STQ. Wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but still a nice shiny after 5,872 REs!

[img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/222846952923070464/307984676893491222/C-m6M1gXsAAV5gS.jpg[/img139][img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/222846952923070464/307986595905142785/C-m8gdaXYAAi9Xt.jpg[/img139]

Yep, shiny Fletchling :) It's Bashful and Likes to run, but I'm somewhat disappointed at the fact it wasn't the other 30% (Salandit) as Cute Charm worked here. Oh well, onwards to the next hunt!

6. Flan

Flan loves birbs.

Congratulations to TheMaster327 on shiny Fletchling! Since yesterday, I have good news to report about the same ol' Smogonbirb that everyone loves, as I got mine too!

Yesterday, I stopped hatching eggs for a while so that I could focus on EV training a large chunk of my VGC 2017 team. I'm a bit late to the party and procrastinated on it lol.
    But after all that was finished, I picked up the hunt again for my shiny Adamant HA Fletchling (with Tailwind of course!) and got him 16 eggs later! I was thoroughly excited, especially since breeding for HAs is always a gamble. Here he is in all his glory! Now I must EV train him as well--plus I have to put a Bottle Cap on his Speed as he's only "Decent" for the rating.

Sorry the image is poorly made, but at least it's clear and isn't too large, haha.

[spoil][/spoil]

I'll probably name him KFC or something silly like that because shiny Talonflame looks fried lol.

7. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

This weekend I did some extreme chain fishing on Y version and Alpha Sapphire as well cuz I had fallen behind on my chain fishing efforts the previous week hee hee. I finished that and immediately did some egg hatching as well for my shiny Mareanie hunt and so far I've had no luck hatching that shiny. I did some soft resets for my shiny Regigigas hunt as well by the way and I've done about 700 in total thus far.

8. RedJirachi

What is the worst shiny to hunt for in your guy's opinion? Not worst shiny as in worst coloration, but worst shiny as in the most frustrating and/or complicated for it to work. Asides Geodude of course, that's a no-brainer

9. tomatohater

tomatohater Golden Sun 4?

Got a second Shiny Eevee after 1644 eggs MM on X. Took way too long and still didn't perfect IV's for an Umbreon, but still 100x better than the last one I got.

-First Shiny Eevee- Male, Careful, 31,31,x,31,31,x w/ Egg Moves: Yawn, Wish and Curse (evolved it into Vaporeon)

-Second Shiny Eevee- Male, Careful, 31,31,31,31,31,x w/ Egg Moves: Yawn, Wish and Curse (now Umbreon)

Obviously the first Eevee didn't have perfect Defence IV's, so that really sucked because it took well over 1000 eggs to finally get, so I decided I would just evolve that to be a trophy shiny Vaporeon and try again to get an Umbreon. Finally after another 1644 eggs (so well over 2.5k in total), I got another Eevee with good enough IV's. Really love the Shiny Umbreon model, but I am so glad this hunt is over. I don't even know why I get so unlucky with MM, as my Trapinch Hunt had way over 2k eggs as well :l This hunt has been going on and off for over 2 years (started in Feb. 2015), so time for another long time desired shiny of mine, a trophy Yanma c:

Good luck Everyone!

10. blastoise92

blastoise92 Member

just hatched a shiny Popplio. I wasn't even hunting for it, i was just trying to hatch one withe the correct nature. But unfortunately it had completely opposite nature then i wanted. He came out Impish, so his SpAt is down and his Defense is up -___-. This is the second time i got a shiny and hit had a nature completely opposite of what you want. My other one was a larvitar with a Bold nature. Which isn't completely terrible, but lowering tis attach really sucks.

11. Vroomer

Vroomer Well-Known Member

Hardest? Imho it's:

Female Combee
    Male Pyroar
    And Pokémon Ranger Manaphy egg - but no one hunts that. You're just freakin lucky!

I have my DS Lite, 3DS, & 3DSXL all going now for the following shiny hunts:

X: Fairy Safari with Mawlie, Kirlia, and Clefairy
    Y: Fire Safari with Magmar, Pyroar, and Braxien
    HG: SR for Articuno

OR: Litwick eggs are on hold.
    Red: Mewtwo is on hold as well.

Zero shinies in friend safaris or eggs since last post.

Congrats to all who have got shinies. 16 is amazingly low! Congratulations! Hoping for some luck with this post.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  12. Flan

Flan loves birbs.

It was realistically less than 200 eggs, as I stopped hatching Fletchlings for a while to EV train lol. It was just nice that I only had to hatch 16 more eggs when I picked up hunting again! :D

I hope something shines for you eventually--you're hunting quite a lot. I'm actually not sure what to go for next, but I do know I want it to be competitively viable since the May International Challenge was announced! I have two weeks to prepare.

13. TheMaster327

TheMaster327 Well-Known Member

Well that took no time at all. Only 473 REs in Lush Jungle and this pops up!

[spoil][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-26H37XkAEQyHW.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-28W0sWsAEg6qw.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-28YT6XoAA5B7t.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-28Y5sXoAEgJKY.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Bounsweet :) Hardy nature, Quick to flee. Caught first Heal Ball :) Got Oblivious, which becomes Queenly Majesty! Now to beat Olivia and move off Akala Island![/spoil]

14. RedJirachi

Actually hunting a Pokemon Ranger Manaphy would require a bored millionaire to waste their money.

What about shinies that aren't dependent on gender?

15. Team Volt Grunt

Team Volt Grunt Pokémon Collector

couldn't you just keep replaying the same Pokémon Ranger over and over?

SR'ing for starters in S/M with that horribly long dialogue and cut scenes.

16. Requiem Aeternam

Requiem Aeternam Dance like an eggplant!

Not necessarily. You can't get a shiny Manaphy on the game the egg is sent to so no matter how many games you get you can't get a shiny. The only way to get a shiny Manaphy is to trade the egg to another file which bypasses the shiny check. Hatch it and if it's not shiny reset, trade it to a different save file and try again. Essentially you only need one Ranger game and multiple gen4 games. Still, definitely not a shiny I'd ever hunt even if I was able to.

The mission in question can only be done once and only once per game card so you can't get more than one egg per game. Even restarting the game doesn't help, you can't do the mission again. Not sure why this is but it's probably to stop people getting endless amounts of eggs.

17. Vroomer

Vroomer Well-Known Member

Here's a YouTube top 10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy5ljomPzAg

Lot of heart ache in this video.

Not sure why someone would shiny hunt in a game where odds are low. I understand some legendaries are locked. So yes, you have to hunt in a precious lower odds game. I get it. For non locket shinies - why would you do that pain?

18. My next shiny target will be a shiny Rayquaza in Ruby, I think. It would be my first Shiny Legendary

19. Twilit Dragoon

Twilit Dragoon *omnious thunderstorm*

Some people actually prefer the 1/8192 odds over the 1/4096 odds in the newer games. For some, it is more challenging getting a 1/8192 shiny over a 1/4096 shiny(or any of the other odds, like MM odds, shiny charm odds, etc).

It all depends on what 'value' you think a 1/8192 shiny has and what 'value' a 1/4096 shiny has. Some people think 1/8192 odds are higher in value just like people think 1/4096 odds are. Different strokes for different folks after all.

20. Terra Force

Terra Force <-- Current Hunt

Why hunt for shinies at all? It's a pain in general, but if the only thing you're getting out of it is the shiny, then cheating is the obvious best option. If that doesn't float your boat, then I guess chain fishing or whatever the next easiest option to hunt shinies should be your go to. But for me, if you offered to trade me a shiny or a regular pokemon, I probably wouldn't take the shiny. Personally, a shiny has no value to me unless I worked for it, at least on some level. As twilit Dragoon said, some people prefer 1/8192 odds and I guess I'm one of those people.

But anyways, I'm at 10,820 SRs for charmander on fire red. Considering doing a shiny quest, if anyone has seen those on YouTube.

Read every post since my last post, and congrats on everyone's shinies. Keep putting that work in.