• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

DittoPokemon97

Master of the Ditto
I've only hatched 50 eggs in my Cranidos hunt because I'm not a huge MM fan. I do have the shiny charm+MM going so hopefully it wont take extremely long.
I decided I would restart my Platinum file that I had been letting my sister play. Before I restarted it I went through the PC and found that my shiny Torterra was missing. I asked her where it was and she said that she had released it because the sparkles annoyed her. Needless to say I was pretty angry but I set out on a reclaim mission knowing that it could take forever. This particular Turtwig came MUCH faster than the first one. After only 15 SRs I reclaimed my shiny Turtwig!!
004.jpg

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
Congrats on all the recent shinies! I will be finishing up White 2 then joining the community hunt with an MM hunt. I haven't decided what quite yet however...

JAWAYami

Shiny Dragon Master
grats on latios, turtwig, and porygon[nice, didnt know it had 5k steps...might have to try for him later :p] guys

im working on MMing[or trying to, keep wanting to go back REing XD] for a Yanma[hunt been off/on alot :p]

anyways grats and gl on everyones hunts :)

edit: well considering i have 250 super repels left, and that you can repel trick Axew....I might do that, just gotta get a good ability to lvl 31 and put em up front. question though... for the ability should I use ''Run Away'' or ''Luminate''?
edit 2: by the way I dont have a Smoke Ball, I think I sold it[never had to use it before...]

Last edited:

Chingchar

Right I have a question and I can only think of here that can help me Im chaining a beldum in platinum and I haven't gone over the number 16 is there anything anyone can suggest to help me in this hunt? Thanks in advance :)

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Right I have a question and I can only think of here that can help me Im chaining a beldum in platinum and I haven't gone over the number 16 is there anything anyone can suggest to help me in this hunt? Thanks in advance :)
Magnet pull helps.^-^
-----------------------
Currently I'm @600 eggs for Cynda.Hope it decides to shine soon.

Aleh

«Last Hope»
I recently started to MMhunt Feebas, but I'm really lazy so it's taking a lot lol
Congrats everyone though!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
On day 6 for Mesprit and around 2.2k encounters in Abundant Shrine, looks like my luck is cooling off again but I really hope Mesprit doesn't take too much longer. Gratz on the recent shinies like Turtwig, (15 SRs!? lucky you :]) Latios (My fav shiny legendary!) and Porygon! But doesn't that count for the CH? I see some pink. Good luck everyone!

JohnNiles

On day 6 for Mesprit and around 2.2k encounters in Abundant Shrine, looks like my luck is cooling off again but I really hope Mesprit doesn't take too much longer. Gratz on the recent shinies like Turtwig, (15 SRs!? lucky you :]) Latios (My fav shiny legendary!) and Porygon! But doesn't that count for the CH? I see some pink. Good luck everyone!

I couldn't really make up my mind.. I'd pegged shiny Porygon's flippers, nose, and tail as "lavender"... closer to purple than pink. But the more I stare at it, the less sure I am. It makes my head hurt if I look at it too long. If it is pink, it is purely luck on my part, because I tend to mistime or fail the community hunts.

edit: Woooot, I think that's my first completed community hunt.

A thought occurred to me: I'm not exactly big on banners and sigs, at least the huge ones, but aren't CHs ideal for sigging?

Last edited:

Dangertrout

I couldn't really make up my mind.. I'd pegged shiny Porygon's flippers, nose, and tail as "lavender"... closer to purple than pink. But the more I stare at it, the less sure I am. It makes my head hurt if I look at it too long. If it is pink, it is purely luck on my part, because I tend to mistime or fail the community hunts.

Looks light pink to me. Granted, some systems colors look a little than others. and I'm looking at the sprite on a computer screen, rather than a DS...
but I think I shall call it pink and congratulate you on completing the CH :p

Crimson_Blazer

After around 2,000 encounters in reversal mountain i put that Hunt on hold to try to Mm a shiny tepig again. Ive probably done a total of 5,000 tepig eggs, this time around i do have the shiny charm and I've done about 50 with it so far

JAWAYami

Shiny Dragon Master
after about 100 yanma eggs[not many i know XD] i started missing reing so i decided to switch to my axew hunt. im using a lvl 31 illuminate watchog..man i wish i hadnt sold my smoke ball cus shes being eaten alive...XD hope everyone has good luck on their hunts.

...for some reason i find re shinies better then mmed ones...not saying i dont love my mmed 1s but i like red 1s more....

also my watchog has been at 1hp for 150 repels XD

Last edited:

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Breeding with MM in Gen 4: 1/1639
Breeding with MM in Gen 5: 1/1366

Hang on... I didn't think the odds were THAT good. Isn't it 2048 in Gen 4? Gen 5 I'm not too sure about.

EDIT: Game Mechanics page on the main site says 1/2048 in Gen 4.

http://www.serebii.net/games/shiny.shtml

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Bathrezz on the Bagon a while ago, VictorC on Latios, JohnNiles on Porygon, and DittoPokemon97 on Turtwig!

I did 100 SRs for Piplup today. Other than that, I continued on with Black Tower on Black 2. My non-shiny Umbreon is now level 100 and my shiny Umbreon is level 84. On Area 8 atm, will hopefully finish it today or tomorrow and get that shiny Gible (who will sit comfortably in the PC), then go back to Virbank to continue hunting!

Also, last night (after coming home from work after midnight), I decided to work on a new shiny card, since my original one was far too big for the signature rules...So after resizing some pictures, remodeling some boxes, finding different usable fonts I like, aligning all the boxes so they're evenly spaced down to the pixel...I finally made one that abides by the forum rules without having too big of a picture or making my overall signature too tall (It actually ended up being barely the right size, since I'm currently meeting the 420 pixel height maximum :x). But I like it for now. Of course, it won't even last through my badge quest, let alone any other shinies I might find while doing my BQ. I might just have to follow suit then...

Good luck!

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Ok question. Am I still able to SR for shinies on Ruby/Sapphire if the internal battery is dry? I might start a Treecko hunt on Ruby, and Beldum on Sapphire.

EMP_Pinkie_Pie

<---Miku Meloetta
So, after a month and a half hiatus from MM, I'm picking it back up. I'm 6 Seviper eggs away from 420. Hoping I don't break 1000 again.

Also, posting in the Generation I page. ;)

JAWAYami

Shiny Dragon Master
Ok question. Am I still able to SR for shinies on Ruby/Sapphire if the internal battery is dry? I might start a Treecko hunt on Ruby, and Beldum on Sapphire.

im pretty sure that a R/S with a dead battery is like Emerald, so im sure you cant...at least you cant SR very well..for sure...dunno bout other methods...

edit: i found out it is possible depending on how quickly your shiny frame appears, so it IS possible but unsure how likely...

Last edited:

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Well, atm it's only Ruby that has that message, but I've had both of them for quite a number of years now.

EDIT: Well, that sucks. 2 different websites said the same thing. Right shame too, it's the same game that got me my shiny Rayquaza.

At least it won't happen to LeafGreen. After Articuno, I'll try for Moltres. I already have gotten 2 RE shinies on this file, a Zubat in Mt Moon and Goldeen in the Safari Zone, both before I got to the Elite 4 and both just 3 days apart.

Last edited:

Markasdarkas

Shiny Hunter!
Community Hunt Complete!!! After a very short 200 SRs my beautiful Heatran decided to shine ^.^ Since I had such a short hunt I am still deciding on what to hunt next. I will most likely be going for Regigigas to finish up the last of my legendary golems. Keep up the great work everyone and don't give up on your hunts ^.^

Edit- BTW congrats VictorC on that Latios! That is an amazing shiny ^.~

shinyheatran_zps420b693f.png

Last edited:

Rectification

Pale Young Gentleman
As a newbie to shiny hunting, I have two questions. I would greatly appreciate it if these questions were answered, as I'm a tad confused. What version would you recommend starting to hunt on, and how long would it usually take to find a shiny? Time is not a concern, and I am not an impatient man, I would just like to know. Thank you in advance!