• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Phase 1 of the Salandit hunt resulted in a shiny male. I wasn't keeping track of the chain this time, but I was only on my second False Swiped Salandit, so it wasn't a very long chain. He's Jolly and Capable of taking hits. I named him White Bandit and I will reserve him for my shiny collection, but the hunt will continue for that elusive female! Good luck on your hunts!

[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/RfXkStum.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/h8MqyGIl.jpg[/IMG139]

Good on Salandit! It took me seven tries to get female Salandit. That means my team of level 100 Pokemon ran out of moves six times and I was on my seventh go before I finally got it. I ended up with one male Salandit before I got a female. The only one that took longer than that was Mimikyu. That stupid thing took 12 tries!

Little tip: Bringing a fainted Cute Charm lead will still work. Then you can just bring your own Salandit in the second spot to be immune to burns. (Not poison though because Corrosion)

4,800 for Type: Null now. Hopefully it shows up over the weekend...

I got my female salandit on the first try, but I was going with straight RE hunting instead of SOS >.>;;;

I'm at 1,830 SRs for the storyline exeggutor. It's decided to be stubborn, evidently

Thanks for the luck and tips. I'm buffing up a male Cute Charm Sylveon for phase 2. I know you can have a fainted Cute Charmer at the top of your party to affect the gender of RE's, but don't they have to stay alive and active in battle for SOS allies to get the higher rate of being female? I want to SOS so they end up with better stats. Luckily Sylveon is immune to Dragon Rage, which has been giving me much more trouble than poison/burns. I think my strategy will be to continue to use Salamence with Intimidate until I get my SOS chain to about 30, then switch Sylveon in to attract the females.

Edit: Sylveon's Misty Terrain protects it from poison/burns and it's immunity to Dragon Rage makes this a much easier fight. Smog and Ember don't do enough damage to stop the leftovers from fully healing him each turn. The Cute Charm is doing the trick as well. Hopefully the next shiny ends up female!

Edit2: Sylveon reached level 36 and often ignores me now -_-'

Last edited:

Hunter of shiny

shiny huntress
Guys I'm so mad, after 13979 RE what i got?....A shiny zigzagoon...Well i guess i should start my phase 2 for that shiny nincada, hoping this time won't take that long

Last edited:

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
Of the starter Pokemon, which do you think has the best shiny...besides black Charizard, that's too obvious

Hm, probably either fennekin (color wise, I hate the evos) or...cyndaquil. Which is actually who I'm SRing for on HG right now.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Of the starter Pokemon, which do you think has the best shiny...besides black Charizard, that's too obvious

Per Generation:
I: Squirtle
II: Typhlosion
III: Mudkip
IV: Turtwig (although, I'm not too impressed by any of their shinies)
V: Probably Serperior purely on coloring scheme
VI: Greninja
VII: Decidueye

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I finally hatched that shiny Mareanie on Moon version this afternoon hee hee. It took thousands of eggs, but I'm glad that I now have something to show for all my efforts, tho this hunt has taught me that I prefer chain fishing over the Masuda method when it comes to shiny hunting. Any ways, I'm going to have a hiatus from shiny hunting in Moon for the time being and I'll simply focus on my other shiny hunts for now.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Phase 2 of my Salandit hunt turned out to be a catastrophe. Once Sylveon hit level 36, he was ignoring me or going to sleep 6-7 times out of 10. Then Salandit eventually started to only get allies every other time it tried to call and it started calling less often. The chain got so tedious. Then I accidentally broke the chain by attacking while there was only one Salandit on the field and Sylveon chose that moment to actually obey. 161 non-shiny Salandit died in vain. The one good thing that came out of this chain was my Mudbray evolving into Mudsdale afterward. I bred a new Eevee using a Ditto from Sun, and worked on getting it to evolve into another Sylveon with Cute Charm. After sending it to Sun for some TMs, vitamins and some leveling, I have started phase 3 and it is going smoothly so far. I almost reached 100 again before work. Good luck on your hunts!

If Charizard is excluded, then definitely Greninja or Decidueye, with honorable mentions to Sceptile, Turtwig, Serperior, and Chesnaught. Those grass pokemon all just look awesome except for Venusaur and Meganium.

Last edited:

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
After all this time, it finally happened.

I was only training some Pokémon for a second living Pokedex (one to keep in generation VI games for shiny charms), so I was not expecting this.
I was training a Pancham to evolve, but I did not want to go through the league just for one level, especially with two slots in my team for it (it, and a dark type). So, I went to victory road to get that one level.
But... what should appear on my very first encounter? My first random shiny (that I can remember, at least) in generation VI and beyond.

A shiny Medicham.
I just caught it with a few ultra balls, and now I am wondering what to do with it. I have one I evolved from a shiny Meditite from the Friend Safari, but I plan on keeping this one as well.

In other news, I am still SR'ing for a shiny Type: Null on my Sun version. I want to join this shiny Type: Null club that is going around lol. And I like SR'ing shinies, and this seemed like a good one.

Congratulations to everyone else!

EDIT!

OMG. I finally got a shiny Type: Null! I am in the club now! WOO.
Synchronize worked also. It is Adamant. Time to go check its IVs.
Ok, it has 31 IVs in Attack, Defense, and Special Attack. I will take it. I can always give it bottle caps if I decide to train it.
But still, woo. So glad to be done with this after all this time.

EDIT 2!

I have been SR'ing for a shiny Dialga on my AS for...let me see... about 40 hours or so.
After about 585 SR's, it shined. Apart from that Type: Null hunt, I am typically lucky when it comes to SR'ing shinies for some reason...
It is Quiet (eh, I will take it), with Synchronize not working here. I have always liked Dialga, and I am glad to have a self-obtained shiny one now.
I wonder what I should do next...

Last edited:

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats on all of the recent shinies since my last post!

I was watching The Lord Of The Rings last night while hatching Burmy eggs in hopes of finally getting a male shiny Burmy. I originally started hunting for a shiny male Burmy back in Diamond version and ended up hatching two females (the last one wa sback in 2011!), then gen 5 came out so I put the hunt on hold, then gen 6 came out and pokeballs could be passed down and I saw that Mothim would be better with it's hidden ability, realized that I didn't have a HA female Burmy in a Quick Ball and now in gen 7, I was able to finally breed down both the ball and HA. So I set up the shiny male Burmy hunt in Moon and after I decided that I was going to do a trial/Alola quest in Moon (Not sure if I should now with UltraSun and UltraMoon on the way) and I sent my Burmy and Ditto over to Sun and continued the hunt there. When I was almost done with the movie, this hatched....
[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/20170620_193838_zps0nb6rhit.jpg[/IMG139]
Unfortunately it's male but fortunately this means I have all of Wormadam's forms shiny so yay. More pictures: OT/ID, Summary and Video. I'm either going to continue until I get a male one or start on Alolan Vulpix. Good luck to everyone on their hunts, especially the stubborn targets!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
4,100 SRs for the storyline exeggutor. Stubborn tree is stubborn. Hopefully it shines soon so I can make more progress toward finishing the game and being able to participate in the next global mission

I don't see any difference from regular Burmy

The body on the shiny is a paler silvery-blue color. A bit hard to spot but there

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Congrats on all of the recent shinies since my last post!

I was watching The Lord Of The Rings last night while hatching Burmy eggs in hopes of finally getting a male shiny Burmy. I originally started hunting for a shiny male Burmy back in Diamond version and ended up hatching two females (the last one wa sback in 2011!), then gen 5 came out so I put the hunt on hold, then gen 6 came out and pokeballs could be passed down and I saw that Mothim would be better with it's hidden ability, realized that I didn't have a HA female Burmy in a Quick Ball and now in gen 7, I was able to finally breed down both the ball and HA. So I set up the shiny male Burmy hunt in Moon and after I decided that I was going to do a trial/Alola quest in Moon (Not sure if I should now with UltraSun and UltraMoon on the way) and I sent my Burmy and Ditto over to Sun and continued the hunt there. When I was almost done with the movie, this hatched....
[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/20170620_193838_zps0nb6rhit.jpg[/IMG139]
Unfortunately it's male but fortunately this means I have all of Wormadam's forms shiny so yay. More pictures: OT/ID, Summary and Video. I'm either going to continue until I get a male one or start on Alolan Vulpix. Good luck to everyone on their hunts, especially the stubborn targets!

I don't see any difference from regular Burmy

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
This hunt has been the most aggravating hunt of my life. Not as tedious as the SR's or MM's, but very nerve wracking. I'm currently on my 5th SOS chain. The first got me the shiny male that I did not want, but actually left me motivated because it was relatively quick. The 2nd and 3rd chains ended because I wasn't paying attention and attacked the sole Salandit on the field, the 2nd being the super annoying chain with the disobedient Sylveon that made it to 161 called; the 3rd chain didn't last quite as long. The 4th chain ended because my count was off and Salandit struggled to death. My current chain is up to 220 calls! only 35 more until the chain resets! If it resets, I'm just going to SR my game and try a different strategy.

Good luck on your hunts and congrats on the recent shinies!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny storyline exeggutor after 5,072 SRs. She's female, rash natured and strong-willed, with Frisk. I named her Arecaceae, which is the Latin name for the family of trees that includes the palm trees.

On with the main story now

SheroGH

Congrats on everyone last shinies!

I started to hunt more on older games this week and after 1435 REs on Eterna Forest in Platinum, I got this guy!

[img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/shiny%20budew%2024-06-2017_zpsrxxreniv.jpg[/img139]

I have not hunted on this game since last year and I got one really quick!
I started hunting on Safari Zone in 3rd gen to see how it does feel the adrenaline!

Good luck on everyones hunt!

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
Congrats to all those who got some new shines, and good luck to the hunters! Now that I know this guy's legit, guess I should post it. Got this bad boy from a GTS trade, offering up a breed-ject Treecko. Decent Impish Nature, and good moveset, I guess. Still over the moon though - loved this Pokémon since Explorers of Time
P_20170624_230643.jpg

Cutty

Forever now
Congrats on the new shinies.

Shiny Oricorio finally hatched after like 300-400s eggs (I lost count again).
5IV too bad minus SpAtk, female 4 EM & in Love ball.

ShinyDancer.jpg

I have some spare 5IV -Atk Oricorio if anyone's interested. Just VM/PM me :)

Good luck w/ your other hunts. I'm going for Shiny Pyukumuku next.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats on all the recent shinies!

Definitely the Treecko line, they're some of my absolute favorite shinies of all time. The Rowlet, Snivy, and Fennekin lines are great as well.

Note to self, I shouldn't make comments in this thread about potentially finding a shiny I don't want, since it always seems to happen lol. After 5528 encounters in Eterna Forest, my Platinum BQ #2 hunt ended with a shiny Bidoof. I was really hoping to avoid this considering all the other great targets in this area (and making matters worse, it appeared next to a Buneary, which was my number one target), but oh well... a shiny is a shiny I guess. I named him Derp xD He has a Gentle nature with the Simple ability. He's now a Bibarel and is actually holding his own in battle a lot better than I thought he would. Maybe he'll be the unexpected MVP of my team!

I've started on BQ #3, which is the Eevee that Bebe gives you in Hearthome City. This is the 4th Eevee I've hunted for, and I'm hoping the shiny ends up with a decent nature for Leafeon, as it's the evolution I want most (I already have Espeon, Umbreon, and Sylveon). I'm currently at 200 SRs. Unfortunately, my other hunts are not being very kind to me right now. Giant Chasm and Slowpoke Well have become my second and fourth longest hunts, at 16,300 and 11,300 REs respectively. I'm also at 5300 REs on Route 3 in Y, 2700 REs at Wela Volcano Park in Sun, and 800 REs at Dragonspiral Tower.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

pokefreak2014

Shiny Hunter!
Congrats to all of the recent shinies! I like seeing some gen 4 hunts mixed in here!

I'm just advertising the International Shiny Hunter Competition one more time to see if anyone else is interested in participating. I've already managed to get a couple of people, so it would be great if two or three more people would like to the team! If you are interested, the deadline is June 30th, so let me know before then! If you need more info, check out the website at ishc.skyrock.com

Good luck on all of your hunts, everyone!

EDIT: I have four people on my team so far, so two more will fill it up! Remember that you need to be able to record your shinies (preferably on Youtube).

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Completed the main game. I can see why GF locked Tapu Koko... There is nowhere to save anywhere between beating Kukui and facing the tapu. You can't even control your character at all except during the battle... It's like a 15-minute cutscene XP

Was very disappointed to discover that drampa is a Moon version exclusive, so I can't hunt it. I have Sun.

Currently I'm 80 SRs into a shiny Type: Null hunt. Had to go back and breed a synchronizer with the proper nature, which took hours since the nature I want just would not appear.

TheMaster327

Completed the main game. I can see why GF locked Tapu Koko... There is nowhere to save anywhere between beating Kukui and facing the tapu. You can't even control your character at all except during the battle... It's like a 15-minute cutscene XP

Was very disappointed to discover that drampa is a Moon version exclusive, so I can't hunt it. I have Sun.

Currently I'm 80 SRs into a shiny Type: Null hunt. Had to go back and breed a synchronizer with the proper nature, which took hours since the nature I want just would not appear.

You can theoretically beat Koko then return there to SR it to your heart's content. For nature only though.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Congrats on the recent shinies, fellow trainers!

Chain 5 went beyond 255 Salandit allies and I didn't have the heart to break the chain, so I just kept attacking until the Salandit struggled after 261 allies. I started Chain 6 and got to 172 before my dog broke the chain. I left my 3DS on my desk when I went to get something to drink from the kitchen. My dog had spotted the cat and chased her into the office. My cat jumped up onto the desk to get out of reach of the dog. The dog put her front paws up on the desk trying to reach the cat and hit the run button and the home button on my 3DS. I resumed the game only to watch as I "got away safely". I decided i needed a break from Salandit, so I expanded my Pelago a bit further, opened the gate to the next area and switched to Sun to get in a few battles in the Tiny Cup tournament. I decided to count the male shiny Salandit from my first chain as a shiny toward my trial quest. I'm not going to bother training him or using him on my team, though. I plan to attempt hunting a shiny female again after I get a bit of a break. I obtained my shiny charm using my living dex from Bank, so hopefully I'll finally get that shiny female.

In the mean time, I started an SR hunt for Wimpod. I'm saved right in front of it so every time my game starts, it dashes right at me. These resets are SO fast compared to the starter pokemon! I'm hoping this one isn't too long.

You can theoretically beat Koko then return there to SR it to your heart's content. For nature only though.

I accidentally did this and came back after catching the other 3 Tapu to see if Koko was back and it was.

Last edited: