• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Krokodyl

You know that feeling when you get super lucky but not in the way you were hoping? I was working on my Black 2 BQ, doing RE's in Lostlorn Forest. My main targets were Venipede and Cottonnee, but after ~22,000 RE's, what do I get? Shiny male Heracross! Lonely nature, with Swarm. I'm super happy with him! (Thank goodness I didn't get a male Combee after all those RE's...)

Then, I was horde hunting on Route 18 in Y, looking for the dreaded shiny Geodude. I was fully prepared, with my Skill Swap Telepathy Gardevoir, but that hasn't been the problem with getting a shiny Geodude. I was on Phase 5, having gotten 4 shiny Durant in early phases, and was really hoping for a Geodude. Did I get one? Nope, I got a shiny Heatmor instead. :) He's Rash nature with Flash Fire. I think I'll move into Terminus Cave in hopes of getting a Larvitar for Phase 6.

Good luck to everyone on your hunts!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Has anyone here managed to get a shiny starter purely by chance, first go?

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Not a hunt, but I traded for Japanese shiny Jirachi and Arceus today.

I wish

Edit: I had to share this haha
sorry, it's huge

[IMG139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJj7JNyUQAAEYwc.jpg[/IMG139]

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Not a hunt, but I traded for Japanese shiny Jirachi and Arceus today.

I wish

Edit: I had to share this haha
sorry, it's huge

[IMG139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJj7JNyUQAAEYwc.jpg[/IMG139]

*almost snorts pepsi* OMG, whoever came up with that question knows didly about pokemon.

I'm up to 290 fletchling eggs hatched. Took me almost 100 eggs just to get the right combination of nature and ability (Jolly and Gale Wings). Now breeding for color and crossing my fingers I get the HA this time.

TheMaster327

That Jeopardy question only had to add 'in different colours' to the end of that to be correct.

As for my hunts, taking a break from my Smoochum horde hunt (now at 60 phases) to MM Seel in Sun.

shiny_hunter5

I have more to post but I was SOS sandshrew on Holiday and this showed up....anyone know how rare this is? I've been googling for days and can't find its encounter odds.

546c8f5a713bdfdfa83045d91662b27f.jpg

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

I think I did with Chimchar but that was at a time where I didn't know what the hell I was doing with Pokemon so I SR thinking it glitched.

It was either Chimchar or shiny Onix. But I definitely remember SRing.
hello darknesss my old friend

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I have more to post but I was SOS sandshrew on Holiday and this showed up....anyone know how rare this is? I've been googling for days and can't find its encounter odds.

546c8f5a713bdfdfa83045d91662b27f.jpg

In the rain or snow, I think it shows up rather frequently compared to some other SOS random pokemon.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I have a potentially stupid question: If I breed a female beast ball, non-HA gible with a male standard ball gible that has Rough Skin, will I get a HA gible in a beast ball? I want one for my next MM but the three beast ball gibles I got from WT all have Sand Veil. Is it still HA from male, ball (primarily) from female in this gen?

630 eggs hatched for fletchling. Getting a lot of Gale Wings babies, so I'm hopeful I can get a HA shiny, but I'm going to wait and see before I get too excited about it since I haven't been having much luck with HAs recently

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Decided to on occasion DexNav for a shiny Happiny. I just need to keep coming into contact with Happiny while beating them and not making them run away, right?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Decided to on occasion DexNav for a shiny Happiny. I just need to keep coming into contact with Happiny while beating them and not making them run away, right?

Contrary to what everyone thinks, DexNav doesn't increase odds with a chain nor is it static. Your odds increase the higher your search amount is. Also, you can run away from non shiny encounters, all it does is force you to run around for a bit until you can manually use the DexNav again, defeating the Pokemon allows you to continue your 'chain'.(Again, chains don't affect shiny chances, it just affects egg move, IVs, and ability)

TheMaster327

I have a potentially stupid question: If I breed a female beast ball, non-HA gible with a male standard ball gible that has Rough Skin, will I get a HA gible in a beast ball? I want one for my next MM but the three beast ball gibles I got from WT all have Sand Veil. Is it still HA from male, ball (primarily) from female in this gen?

630 eggs hatched for fletchling. Getting a lot of Gale Wings babies, so I'm hopeful I can get a HA shiny, but I'm going to wait and see before I get too excited about it since I haven't been having much luck with HAs recently

Males will never pass down the Ball. They will occasionally pass the HA if bred only with Ditto. Female HA parents pass HA 80% of the time.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!

You can't get the HA from the male unless you breed it with a Ditto but if you're using the same species parents you have a 50/50 chance of getting either Ball. What you want to do is breed the male HA one till you get a female and breed the Beast Ball one until you get a male. Breed those together and you can get the HA Beast Ball one you want :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
You can't get the HA from the male unless you breed it with a Ditto but if you're using the same species parents you have a 50/50 chance of getting either Ball. What you want to do is breed the male HA one till you get a female and breed the Beast Ball one until you get a male. Breed those together and you can get the HA Beast Ball one you want :)

Yeah, both gibles. Definitely noted. Thanks! :D I'll do that once this stubborn bird shines.

Up to 770 fletchling eggs now.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Congratulations to all the recent shinies!

Well, I am back with my latest rendition of my mutli-MM hunting.
This time, I did the same thing (collect 480 eggs across four different Pokémon), and I just hatched a shiny.
I hatched a shiny Stufful a minute ago. She is everstoned Adamant, in a Great ball (from my original Stufful I caught during my initial playthrough of Sun), and has the egg moves Stomping Tantrum and Ice Punch.
For IV's... Come on... Almost every time now, my MM'ed shinies are missing a stat I need. (This one is 31/x/31/31/31/31). So glad for Bottle Caps, but still...Come on...
She did get Fluffy though. I am glad for that. I plan on EV training her once I finish this group of eggs. I have a few more boxes left.

Good luck to everyone else!

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
Quick question for the Masuda Methoders: Where do you put all of your eggs?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

I keep a few Poke boxes open for them. Then I fill them, hatch them... and go on from there.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.

Me? Normally, I will just have a single flame-body Pokemon in my party and hatch manually in batches of five by Tauros-riding back and forth on the Hau'oli City shopping district street. If I'm not up for or am unavailable for doing that, I'll just collect 18 eggs, put 'em in my Isle Avue to hatch, then rinse and repeat.

As for my current hunt, still aiming to get a shiny Fennekin. Currently at 290 eggs.

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
I've done this, but what I mean is don't they stop giving you boxes? I've hit 24 total, and have filled about 17 for a shiny Mimikyu. Do you use Bank, or release them?

JohnnyBlaze

Shiny Hunter
I've done this, but what I mean is don't they stop giving you boxes? I've hit 24 total, and have filled about 17 for a shiny Mimikyu. Do you use Bank, or release them?

In about 6 more boxes, you'll have no more room for eggs since you only get 30 boxes, just start hatching and use pokebank if you have it. That's what I do :D