• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
did 234 RE's in a friend safari that had Dragonaire and fraxure and got Fraxure on the 234th! it was for a friend. I sent two (somewhat newish to the pokemon series) friends a list of all my safari pokemon i can catch and offered to get them a shiny. Next up is my other friend who asked for sandshrew/camerupt~!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
During a playthrough of a game, what is the earliest in the progress of the game you have gotten a shiny randomly? Excluding Badge Quests and soft-resetting for a shiny starter, of course

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types

Shinyoracle

Hey guys, congrats on all the shinies you've picked up, and good luck to anyone else still hunting for theirs. I know it's a blanket congrats but there's been a LOT of posts since my last, so I figured I'd offer one big congratulations to everyone hunting. I also have a question in regards to shiny Poipole. I don't have the charm yet because I wanted to get started right away, but is is true the shiny charm doesn't affect gift pokemon like Null and Poipole? I have a shiny Silvally I soft reset for in Sun and that took me over 4000 soft resets to get so I'm skipping out on null this time around. Just wanted to ask and be sure.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Hey guys, congrats on all the shinies you've picked up, and good luck to anyone else still hunting for theirs. I know it's a blanket congrats but there's been a LOT of posts since my last, so I figured I'd offer one big congratulations to everyone hunting. I also have a question in regards to shiny Poipole. I don't have the charm yet because I wanted to get started right away, but is is true the shiny charm doesn't affect gift pokemon like Null and Poipole? I have a shiny Silvally I soft reset for in Sun and that took me over 4000 soft resets to get so I'm skipping out on null this time around. Just wanted to ask and be sure.
The Shiny Charm unfortunately does not affect gift Pokemon shiny odds. You're going against full odds.

I'm currently MM'ing for a shiny Skiddo in my UM game. I hope it comes as quickly as my shiny Rockruff did, but I have a hunch it won't. (I also have an awful feeling it won't have its HA if/when I do get it.)

Phillies

During a playthrough of a game, what is the earliest in the progress of the game you have gotten a shiny randomly? Excluding Badge Quests and soft-resetting for a shiny starter, of course

My earliest was in Omega Ruby. I caught a Zigzagoon on my first encounter after the Poochyena on Route 101. That game was awesome. It gave me 4 random shinies.

Zero1999

Found a Shiny Geodude on my Leaf Green on the second chamber of Mt.Ember, it caught me off guard, I was looking for either a shiny Machop or Machoke with them making 60% encounter rate and Geoudude 40%, not what I was expecting but I take it, got my Damp Poliwrath just in case it blew up.

Timid nature,Male and Rock Head as its ability, not the best but oh well.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Found Shiny Thundurus after a couple days! I was so shocked when he shined, it was shortly after starting the hunt back up after coming home from a friend's place. He's a Quiet nature(not the best nature but it's not bad either) and I named him Sanga.

Going to hunt for Alolan Meowth now via SOS.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts! :)

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member

Route 6 in X. Randomly got a Shiny Espurr while looking for Shiny Honedge, which actually pops out not long after the Espurr.

Even better part, me trying to get a Shiny Honedge was also a random whim, for some reason I randomly decided to try getting one even though I normally never shiny hunt during the middle of the story :p

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Thankfully, the swap method does still work.

Shiny jangmo-o after 258 eggs. Male, named Shogun, timid, and somewhat vain, with Bulletproof.

Now I just need an actual shiny magikarp, then I can send the pack over to Sun to train up to match my starter. Along with a moon ball zorua I got from WT because I want to check its IVs for future breeding.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
I've been hunting Lampent in Friend Safari on my X version and SOS chaining for Staryu in Moon. I actually found the Lampent but I was distracted by a YT video I was watching and ran away from it. I caught a glimpse of the blue eyes and off colored fire before the battle screen disappeared. My heart dropped and I just closed my 3DS, mouth agape staring off into space.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
This one, definitely:

[img139]https://puu.sh/yQhcw/a6fa001d69.jpg[/img139]

I know what my next shiny hunt will be.
I imagine that was positively infuriating.

I think my earliest shiny encounter was a Tentacool in my brother's Emerald Version, as it actually appeared prior to post-game. Not only was it my first shiny, but it's also my only random one to date. (I think I have terrible luck compared to most.)

As for my current hunt, I've hatched nearly 300 eggs and not a one of them has given me a lighter-colored Skiddo... I hope it comes soon.

Last edited:

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
FOR THE SECOND TIME IN MY LIFe, A COMPLETE RANDOM SHINY........
flame mama.jpg
*AND* IT CAME WITH THICK CLUB, WHICH IT HAS A 5% CHANCE OF HAVING.

I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR A FLETCHLING TO GET A FLAME BODY POKEMON. I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS AT ALL. it was about 4 encounters in. HGGHGHH?
i did the math and the chances of me encountering a shiny cubone WITH thick club at the volcano park was .00005, or .005%. pretty crazy considering the normal odds of getting any given shiny with the charm is .004 or .4%.

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
so i ended up taking a break with the sring since I was getting a bit annoyed since i wanted to start breeding in my ultra sun so I ended up getting the charm now ^_^ I got some help from some people so now i can continue my hunt for shiny blacephalon with better odds....

good luck to all and congrats on all the new shinies from my last post XD

@kyuu-tales: thanks i saw this post lol "Best of luck to everyone on their hunts! (Especially FairyWitch, who's probably physically hurting for shiny Blacephalon now. Don't give up!)"

Cyberra

pain in the ***
...Okay, what is my luck right now o.o

Shiny magikarp after only 229 eggs. Male, named Susanowo after a Japanese god of storms, Jolly, somewhat vain, with Swift Swim. Will check his IVs when I get him to Sun for training.

Now I'm going to send magnemite, jangmo-o, magikarp, and that moon ball zorua over to Sun for training, some leveling, and IV checks. Then I'll train rockruff in US for a while to get it levels and EV'd as much as I can. Then I'll go face the water trial.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector

Pokémon X on launch day, I caught a shiny Fletchling on the first route. I had already moved on to the forest, but I went back to try to catch something with Pick Up, and it just appeared. I had a pretty lucky beginning in that game. Also caught two Pikachu with Light Balls while I was training in the forest with Shauna to heal my Pokémon.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
so i ended up taking a break with the sring since I was getting a bit annoyed since i wanted to start breeding in my ultra sun so I ended up getting the charm now ^_^ I got some help from some people so now i can continue my hunt for shiny blacephalon with better odds....

good luck to all and congrats on all the new shinies from my last post XD

@kyuu-tales: thanks i saw this post lol
The increased odds should make a world of difference, trust me. ^u^

I still haven't gotten Skiddo, so I decided to start MM'ing for Croagunk to make things less monotonous, since their eggs don't take as long to hatch.

I had a lot of luck over the GTS last night, however--there was a sudden surge in under-leveled Jellicent demand, so I immediately caught some in my B2W2 Versions and sent them over. I got an (unfortunately hacked) Level 100 Shiny Naganadel, a Shiny Palkia, and a Level 100 Shiny Therian Landorus for my troubles!

Zephraxe

So I had been using the Ultra Wormhole to find the legendary Pokémon in Ultra Sun, and in 3 days had come across 5 shiny Pokémon. I believe my catches were Grumpig, Yanmega, Audino, and two others I can’t remember at this moment. I was amazed because I have only random encountered five shinies outside of this over a period of over 10 years. Either I’m incredibly lucky or they’re making it too easy to find shinies now.

Hunter of shiny

shiny huntress

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Stubborn person that I am, I can't pass that wimpod on Route 8 without trying to SR it. Settling in for the long haul, unless my luck is still in and works on SR hunts...