• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I'm still at it for Celebi. 3333 just went by and still nothing but green. Totodile in HGSS has been on hold so I can focus all attention on double hunting Celebi. I also continue soft resetting for Charmander in FR whenever I'm on the go and not able to bring my two 3DS's with me. Gameboy Micro is so convenient for travel.

I'm definitely taking a break from full odds after Celebi sparkles.
So yesterday while making an Ultra Wormhole run in UM, I made it to the 5K + lightyears traveled and found a Shiny Medicham! She's so pretty I love the blue colour! Also during my unloading of my failed attempt at the shiny breeding Magicrap egg hatching I get a Shiny lvl. 100 Kartana in a Love Ball! I felt bad for giving this guy my Magicrap now. I do hope that Kartana wasn't hacked...because I encountered a strange glitch in UM in the castle the recent trade partner was myself, the same character and everything.

It's safe to assume any shiny from Wonder Trade is hacked, or at the very least, cloned.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I must have terrible luck with srs in this game I hit about 950 srs and still no shiny zapdos taking a break from it though and going to go back to mming stuff soon

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Boy do I have a story! Doomdour (aka Benny) and I were doing some Magikarp swapping the other day. I had hatched 82 eggs the day before and was just continuing the breeding while Benny was starting from the beginning. He got a shiny 5IV(-spatk) HA Magikarp in 6 eggs o_O

After looking through our apricorn collection, he settled on love ball Dratini to keep as a Dragonair. Since he was unprepared for swapping, I bred him a 5IV HA Dratini while joking "watch me get a shiny!" Aaaand of course, the second Dratini was shiny XD It was Shed Skin and male, so I swapped it for a 5IV love ball Comfey I had already bred for the swapping occasion. I specifically wanted a male and it still was! Wooo! He's xx/31/31/31/31/31 Bold and I had to use an ability capsule to get him Triage. Same thing happened with my other shiny Comfey... the parent had Triage and it still got Flower Veil. -_- Anyways.

I went back to Dratini and several eggs later I hatched a 5IV HA, which I sent to Benny, and he successfully got his perfect spread Marvel Scale love ball pink Dratini :D

What else is funny is that we were at a friend's house taking care of her dogs while she's away. Now we're joking that her house must be good luck since we got two shinies in eight eggs total...

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I must have terrible luck with srs in this game I hit about 950 srs and still no shiny zapdos taking a break from it though and going to go back to mming stuff soon
You have to remember that the odds are 1/4096 without the charm or 1/1365 with the charm. You're still under. Keep at it and you'll eventually get that shiny. I'm currently sitting at 3352 for Celebi.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
You have to remember that the odds are 1/4096 without the charm or 1/1365 with the charm. You're still under. Keep at it and you'll eventually get that shiny. I'm currently sitting at 3352 for Celebi.
yeah I know about the odds but i went over the odds first time with my blacephalon and then got the charm later on and finally got it so it was over 5,000+ srs including charm before I got it. btw your odds are worse then mine lol

Pyreon

I'm currently hunting a shiny Kartana in Ultra Sun but that thing is playing difficult. Over 1800 SRs already with Charm.
I got Raikou on 256 SRs though so I guess that's fine.

CapybaraMage

Novice Shiny Hunter
I had decided to level up my shiny Tapu Koko to bottle cap its imperfect IVs. So there I was at the Poni Gauntlet on Moon, just grinding away, when a shiny Granbull appeared! I caught it of course, and continued training. Well, that night, I was almost to level 100 when this time a shiny Pelipper popped up! Two randoms in the same day! I’ve only ever found 4 random shinies, including these 2, so I was incredibly surprised that it happened. This was a day or two after getting my shiny charm. I’m still in shock :p

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I finally got a shiny yanmega in the UltraSun wormhole, but unfortunately it was a male. I'll keep trying for a female one, hopefully I'll get it soon.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Well, I finally tried it, and it just worked.
I have been attempting the shiny Magikarp swap method since yesterday afternoon. I hatched a shiny male Magikarp with its HA a few minutes ago, and I swapped it with my HA Excadrill. If the Magikarp had been female, I would have tried to see if a female Salandit would have hatched.
Anyways, the shiny Drilbur does have his HA, and he is everstoned Adamant. His IV spread is...YES. 5 IV, perfect spread. 31/31/31/x/31/31. WOO.
Now THIS was great. I will most likely try this method even more soon.

Good luck to everyone else on their shinies!

EDIT: It worked again.
In the first box of Magikarp eggs I tried after I trained and evolved my Drilbur some, I found a shiny near the beginning of the box. She was female, so I tried Salandit first. That was male, so I put in a 5 IV shiny Hydreigon I got through a trade (I have been wanting to obtain my own high IV one for some time now).
She is everstoned Modest, and she has an IV spread of 31/x/31/31/31/x. I plan on using a Bottle Cap on that speed stat later.

EDIT 2: Make that three times. On the very first egg of the second box, a shiny Magikarp hatched. Time to see what I will swap it with now.
Ok, he has his HA, so I will see what I will go with this time. I went with a shiny flawless Blaziken I got through a trade, and like the Hydreigon, I have been wanting my own. He did hatch with his HA, and has an IV spread of 31/31/31/31/30/31 (I understand that a "Fantastic" IV is 30). So, its IVs are a single point away from both of its flawless parents. Cool, but I can get plenty of Bottle Caps, so I will probably use one on him.

Last edited:

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
Hey guys! Long time no post xD I had a bit of a hunting break, just playing through Platinum and then Pearl for a bit. Got some nice chained shinies in Platinum: three Ralts, three Roselia, a Gligar, a Bronzor, two Ponyta and wait for it....26 shiny Marill. Seems insane, the only reason I got so many is I wanted one with Huge Power. I hadn't chained in so long and had to practice a lot before I got any shinies out of it. Very rewarding seeing the shiny patch, especially if it's before 40! Oh and out of those Marill, only ONE had Huge Power :O. Trained the best of these beauties and beat a file on Battle Rec with an all shiny team <3.

Next I decided to turn to the dark side :p and try using RNG, a helpful Smogon discord member found my SID and I hatched 8 shinies: Two Finneon, a Drifloon, a Buneary, two Piplup, a Chimchar and a Budew. However this method is not for me, as I miss the excitement of full odds hunts! Still cool though, no harm in trying it :).

Anyways, my main news is that I got my first 100% random shiny in two years last weekend! Training that RNGed shiny Buneary to level 5 and a shiny Bidoof appears on Route 202! :O. Male and Sassy nature, maybe the first shiny I ever saw, also a shiny Bidoof, (which I fainted), came back to me after all these years?

In between college and general life I'm back hunting again :D Right now I'm focusing on my White BQ hunt for Snivy, around ~3k SRs ATM. Also have ongoing hunts for:
Oddish-Firered BQ
Aron-Sapphire BQ
Mincinno/Gothita-Black 2 BQ
Starly-Diamond Dream Team Quest.
Congrats on all the shinies while I was gone! And apologies for the lack of pics, I have had internet ATM ugh. Oh yeah, I also got my bf into shiny hunting :p. His first degree hunt was Mewtwo on his Ultra Moon which took him 17k Srs :O but the game made it up to him with a Shiny Rayquaza after only 100 Srs! He's now hunting for Kyurem. Maybe I can get some of the luck and have Snivy be a shiny female starter like Squirtle and Piplup? Best of luck all :D

xEryChan

Demon Child
Well, this happened. I was just looking for a Castform since I am working on completing Akala Island's dex now and out of nowhere, a shiny Passiminan pops out. It completely took me off guard, I was not expecting that at all whatsoever since I was just running through the grass when I encountered it.

I am just so happy now. Today has been really good for me. Happy Early birthday to me :D

byyBbV0.jpg
oEvO8uC.jpg

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Clearly my crazy luck has gone back to normal. I'm at 725 eggs for shiny pikipek (or salandit, depending on whether or not the shiny hatches female). The egg collection continues.

ArcanineRaichu77

My Black 2 BQ proved today that it once again loves giving me short hunts..
https://imgur.com/a/SHMLK
Shiny Gothita after a mere 3800 RE's on Route 5! I was scared I would miss it but it was SO noticeable! My first full odds shiny since Squirtle :D And such a nice one! I think this lines shiny deserves more love. Incredibly happy :D I am now halfway through this Black 2 BQ with four shinies <3
I beat the gym, and my next target on this game is Ducklett on the Drawbridge! I wish everyone luck :D.
PS: How do I get images to show with this new forum layout?

Cyberra

pain in the ***
My Black 2 BQ proved today that it once again loves giving me short hunts..
https://imgur.com/a/SHMLK
Shiny Gothita after a mere 3800 RE's on Route 5! I was scared I would miss it but it was SO noticeable! My first full odds shiny since Squirtle :D And such a nice one! I think this lines shiny deserves more love. Incredibly happy :D I am now halfway through this Black 2 BQ with four shinies <3
I beat the gym, and my next target on this game is Ducklett on the Drawbridge! I wish everyone luck :D.
PS: How do I get images to show with this new forum layout?

You don't put the number in the image tags anymore, I think.

I got a shiny bergmite while REing in Y's friend safari while at the doctor's office today. I know it's female, but I got called into the exam room right after so I didn't have a chance to check her summary.

1,025 eggs and counting for pikipek/salandit.

I got my first Ultra Sun shiny without even hunting for one.

Since I just beat the game a day ago after pushing myself to finally complete it, I've started searching the entire overworld with Stoutland for hidden items and I suddenly stumbled upon a shiny Stufful, which was nice since I don't have that evolution line shiny yet.

After searching all islands I'm probably going to start shiny hunting in this game. I'd like to try this new method using ultra wormholes. And maybe soft reset for shiny Ho-oh since I got a shiny Lugia in Alpha Sapphire back then and it'd be nice to have the full set.

Ravenael

Its been two years since I've been here. I got so much catching up to do on this thread. Congrats on all the shinies so far.

This morning I managed to SOS a shiny eeveelutions and last night I MMed my first shiny eevee. This morning I evolved them and im now the happy owner of a shiny Umbreon and Vaporeon.

I think my current goal is a full shiny Eevee family.

I started shiny hunting in ultra wormholes and ended up finding a shiny Abomasnow. I also stumbled upon Regirock and decided to soft reset for it since I already have a shiny Regice.

And well, a few minutes ago I got a shiny one, didn't take long at all. I ended up using my master ball though since it was running out of PP. I should bring something that can put pokemon to sleep next time I SR for a shiny legendary.

PsychoKing47

Now that I've beaten the Elite 4 and caught the four Tapus, I decided to do some SOS Chaining in Sun for Psyduck in Brooklet Hill - partially for EVs, but mainly to reclaim my only shiny fail so far - and, after a few hours and after killing 226 other Psyduck, a blue duck finally appeared, and I caught him in a Dive Ball. He's Calm nature, and I'm going to check his IVs once I reach the Battle Tree:

iwM2VVo.jpg

zE3AqOi.jpg

Going to EV train some Pokemon in Attack, Defence and Speed in the next few days, so I'll see if any shinies pop up as I go. If not, I'll next return to the Mareanie hunt I put on hold just short of a month ago, or at least I will once I've either reached the Battle Tree or caught some Ultra Beasts, whichever I do first.

ArcanineRaichu77

Thanks for the help Cyberra! As a thanks here's pictures of my shiny Blastoise which evolved whilst hunting Oddish on my Firered a few nights back :D
q3ZZMzR.jpg

Qh81lEr.jpg

She's amazing <3. Congrats on those shinies guys :D

As for my hunts, I'm mainly focusing on Snivy atm. I haven't counted as a I usually do with this SR hunt but I'd say I'm around ~4k so getting there slowly but surely, early days yet. SRing as I type :p. As for my other hunts, I have done 0 RE's for Ducklett since getting Gothita on Monday xD. I'm around 200 Oddish RE's in Firered and a mere 100 RE's for Aron in Sapphire, I haven't touched the hunt in a while. I tend to hunt whatever I feel like at the time, so when I get the urge to hunt in Sapphire again I'll go back to it. On that note, Pickup not being level based makes it so OP in R/S. I got enough Rare Candies from my 5 pickup Ziggies during my Wurmple hunt to evolve a freshly caught Nincada into a level 45 Ninjask for False Swipe, and enough nuggets to make me have more money then I know what to do with :p. As such I'm fighting all the Pokemon in Granite Cave as opposed to simply running. I have also got my bf into shiny hunting, so wish him luck on his hunt for Kyurem in Ultra Moon guys xD.

My birthday's in a couple of months, and I hope to get enough money saved by then to buy a Japanese Black, Platinum and HG. I plan to BQ these games and they will also be useful to get foreign Pokemon so I can actually MM on my 4th and 5th gen games. My cousin is also coming back next month :D I hope he'll be able to fix my Ruby's dead battery so I can actually SR shinies normally on it.

Lately while hunting I've been reading through some old shiny threads. This has made me nostalgic for the days of 3rd gen hunting and reminded me of an old goal of mine, to one day hatch a 1/8192 shiny. I'd like to hear what you guys think of this so:
Would you ever hunt for a 1/8192 or 1/4096 hatched shiny?

Good luck to all! :D

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After 1,530 eggs in US, I decided to take a break from hatching and go look for a red legendary wormhole. So I grabbed my team and went. After about an hour and a half, lunala was running out of steam and got sucked into a yellow wormhole, and I ran into a shiny crustle.

She's female, lonely nature, Sturdy ability, and alert to sounds. Caught in a dusk ball.

On my very next run I blew a curve and skidded into a green wormhole. Found a red heliolisk. Another female, serious nature and mischievous, with Dry Skin.

Two shinies in two runs. Not bad. But also not what I was looking for.

Was about to give up after two hours of trying and not finding a red legendary wormhole. I did pass a yellow one and got sucked into a green one (virizion inside, took a look and left again). Lunala was running out of steam again, so I steered her into a one-ring red wormhole...

...and I found articuno inside.

I am now set up in front of it and already 70 SRs into my first ever legendary bird hunt. I'm not moving till I get my white ice bird.

On a side note, when does the trainer club newsletter come out? I have a Trainer Club account and I did say that yes, I want to get notices and stuff from them (so I can get the codes for the monthly legendaries). But I have not gotten the newsletter yet.