• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

WaterTypesFTW

Shiny Hunter
Hello, everone! Congrats on all the shinies!

I'm a little late on posting about finding a shiny on Friday. I thought it was pretty funny I found it actually because it was not intentional. I got a little bored with my Aipom hunt so I thought if I did 100 or so encounters I would be a little more motivated to hatch some more (Don't ask why I thought that). I decided to fly to route 11 and I started encountering there. Not even 30 encounters and I found a green Marill. I saw it immediately and reacted, then I questioned the game if I acutally found it. It's stored in my PC so I know it's real, but geez my game's been popping out shinies like there's not tomorrow! XD I love you Black 2! Whoa, I just realized that going for the shaking grass on route 3 while hatching really adds up. Since finding my Tranquil, I encountered 1279 Pokemon when I found Marill. It's still a fairly short hunt though, I found 3 shinies in 8192!

Anyways, I've been alternating between hatching Aipom and RE on route 15, because after I encountered that shiny I realised that I kind of miss RE and I still have no motivation to hatch Aipom unfortunately...

Good luck everyone!

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I really need to catch Volcarona for egg hatching. Sometimes when I hatch eggs, I'm tempted to go into the shaking patches when they show. The problem is, I'm currently hatching Skarmory eggs on Black 2, and my lead is a Lv13 Magby.

EDIT: Hatched 25 eggs today. I'm curious, how do you hatch them? I hatch 5, release them straight away if they're not shiny, then get another 5, repeat...

I save in front on the day care man, refuse the first egg (since I've heard that the first egg generated will always be the same in B/W 2), collect five eggs, and then fly off to the join avenue to have my nursery hatch them. I have a lv10 nursery, so all my eggs can hatch instantly. It's very quick. ^_^

... but I'm now at 2610 Solosis eggs hatched, and that's with both the masuda method and shiny charm odds.

I'm also at 5720 Thundurus soft resets, and 150 encounters for my next Heart Gold badge quest shiny (I'm hunting in route 48).

Good luck guys.

EDIT: Oh, oh! Yes! After 2614 eggs my shiny Solosis has hatched! n__n

He's male, Bold natured and has his DW ability regenerator (although magic guard is probably better, I'm gad it didn't get overcoat). And as you can see from the picture I nicknamed him Jelly Baby (since Reuniclus always reminded me of one for some reason, and I grew up watching Doctor Who :p )

Picture: Care for a shiny jelly baby? I sure would!

He also has some bloody wonderful IV's:

Solosis
Bold nature, capable of taking hits
HP: 27
Att: 11
Def: 31
SpA: 26
SpD: 31
Speed: 30
HP Water 70 (ooh, max power hidden power... can I use this in any way?)

With him hatched, that completes the shiny team I'd been gathering for my new Black play through. I plan on SR'ing for a shiny Tornadus once I complete the game.

Also, does shiny Solosis count for the community hunt, since it does have that little pink, um, thing on its head?

Last edited:

elorasheppard

Oh gosh 5000 eggs sounds like a pain man. Good luck with your Squirtle hunt ! How about we call it a little race to see who gets their shiny first ah ~? u v u

That would be fun, Im hoping to get to 3000 eggs by Sunday before my uni work builds up again (if it doesnt shine by then......) so it will be good to share some motivation.

Congratulations on your totodile btw!! And good luck with trapinch.

Oh and Cocoadragon did a HG BQ and SRd for the goldenrod eevee and got a shiny vaporeon iirc out of it so I would say it can.

Dangertrout

Wow, a lot of pages piled up while I was gone. I skimmed them, and didn't see anyone announce their completion of the CH. (For that matter, I didn't see that many completed hunts >.<)
Don't forget to write "CH complete" if you want to see your name in the OP.

@ whoever asked: yes, the HG Goldenrod Eevee can be shiny.

@Pink Lapras: in BW2 the first egg is always the same when you start the game, so it does matter a little when you're doing the collect 5 eggs/ hatch/ reset thing

I've been super busy, so haven't gotten much done in pokemon. Still working on a non-shiny drifloon for a friend : /

BurningBlaze

Ace Trainer
Wow, a lot of pages piled up while I was gone. I skimmed them, and didn't see anyone announce their completion of the CH. (For that matter, I didn't see that many completed hunts >.<)

@Pink Lapras: in BW2 the first egg is always the same when you start the game, so it does matter a little when you're doing the collect 5 eggs/ hatch/ reset thing

I've been super busy, so haven't gotten much done in pokemon. Still working on a non-shiny drifloon for a friend : /
Just noticed shiny Beldum has a red eye, so community hunt completed I guess. Hopefully I'll get a pokemon that suits the criteria more next time..

Scrufox86

got my 5th bq shiny, shiny chimchar after 1,064 eggs

Congratulations!. Does Chimchar not count for the community hunt?

I feel your pain, last night I went over 2000 eggs for my shiny squirtle :( Im beginning to wonder if this hunt is going to become like the 5000 egg tauros. Im also nearing 3000REs with the shiny charm on Route 15 so Im not having much luck at the moment.

Congrats on the Totodile, Venipede, Drifblim, Clefairy and Beldum and any others that I've missed. Good luck on your hunts everyone.

Don't worry i hit 2904 RE's at route 14 before finding my shiny Drifblim. I also have the shiny charm and went over the odds. Also i have hatched many eggs on a collective hunt with various pokemon since my shiny cleffa and i have not gotten any more of my shiny starters. I'd really like to get my shiny Treecko so it'll count toward the community hunt as well.

Keep going you'll get your shiny!

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
Congratulations to any shinies that have been obtained since my last post!

I hatched 30 eggs of Gastly and nothing shined. So now I'm onto Vulpix, for some reason, egg moves wont work with Vulpix :(.

I'm considering attempting Heatran eventually, but it's not something I wanna set as my main hunt. Whilst REing the Desert Resort, I hit 100 REs. Making it one of my longest hunts so far along with Groudon (Which I've been doing on and off for around a year or so now. Me and my friend doubt he'll ever shine.) and Volcarona (Shows I'm not a active hunter). I realised how awesome a shiny Krokorok looks. So hoping I'll get a Sandile here, but I would take Trapinch over Sandile ANY DAY.

Also, now my "N's Pokémon" box of my PC is more full thanks to my hunt. I must have found around 8 by now.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
I hatched 30 eggs of Gastly and nothing shined. So now I'm onto Vulpix, for some reason, egg moves wont work with Vulpix :(.

Er... how do you mean? Are you sure the moves you're trying to breed onto it are actually egg moves?

I've been doing doing some EV-training on my new shiny Solosis... and I've just noticed that it's caught pokerus at some point (probably from my shiny Simipour that's in my party) so now I have no idea what its EV's are. Great. That was a nice waste of time... >_<

I'm also now at 5820 soft resets for shiny Thundurus.

By the way, does my shiny Solosis count for the community hunt? If so, then community hunt complete!

HGaddict

<--- Newest Shiny

Would Her across or Aipom count for the CH? If so I might be completing the CH soon

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
Er... how do you mean? Are you sure the moves you're trying to breed onto it are actually egg moves?

I looked at Breeding Moves on Bulbapedia, it worked for Gastly. Maybe I selected the wrong Vulpix or something... *shrug*

And as a vague update, 1 egg for Vulpix.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
If you explain to us what you use for breeding the Vulpix (mainly their moves and their gender), it can help us determine why the moves are not getting passed :)

As for me, just did 2 more hours of SR-ing Mesprit, still no shiny. I guess that 1 day Tepig and 5 days Kyurem really took a lot of luck out of me XD

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
If you explain to us what you use for breeding the Vulpix (mainly their moves and their gender), it can help us determine why the moves are not getting passed :)

I have a Japanese Ditto breeding with the Vulpix. The Vulpix is female and has the moves:

Tail Slap
Heat Wave
Flare Blitz
Imprison

Dangertrout

I have a Japanese Ditto breeding with the Vulpix. The Vulpix is female and has the moves:

Tail Slap
Heat Wave
Flare Blitz
Imprison

Only males can pass along egg moves, that's your problem.

edit - Yes, Solosis counts. Aipom also counts. I'm not sure about Heracross, it looks purple to me.

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter

Tail Slap
Heat Wave
Flare Blitz
Imprison

Ah, you're using a female! Only males can pass down egg moves.

Edit: Dangertrout.. you ninja!

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
Oh, okay. Thanks. I feel a tad stupid now. -w-'

Knowing me, I'll forget to get a male. So I'm now hatching a male.

I'm praying Turtwig will shine on my Platinum BQ. Asking the shiny gods will just anger them... It just takes forever to get your starter on the D/P/PL Games.

And good luck to everybody on their hunts!

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is to be mentioned here but, I lost a shiny Zubat while recording a video on Pokémon Tower Defense. Which I believe is still the 1/8192 chance. Not so happy.

Last edited:

It is I-

I have done 120 eggs for my Nidoran M, but have pretty much lost motivation.

Since Nidoran, both genders, have red eyes; am I correct in believing that one would count for the CH if one should shine in a timely manner?

TheEliteEmpoleon

Oh, okay. Thanks. I feel a tad stupid now. -w-'

Knowing me, I'll forget to get a male. So I'm now hatching a male.

I'm praying Turtwig will shine on my Platinum BQ. Asking the shiny gods will just anger them... It just takes forever to get your starter on the D/P/PL Games.

And good luck to everybody on their hunts!

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is to be mentioned here but, I lost a shiny Zubat while recording a video on Pokémon Tower Defense. Which I believe is still the 1/8192 chance. Not so happy.

Hey you wanna do a BQ race since neither of us has our first shiny? That might give me some more motivation...

HGaddict

<--- Newest Shiny
So I know that because of the broken RNG in Emerald, SR hunts are messed up, but if I were to do a RE, would that any different? I really like 3rd generation pokemon and I'd love to hunt in my Emerald. Thank you to anyone who can answer that for me.

Well back to training in Emerald and hunting for Snivy. Good luck everyone!

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Doimg my Marill again. It is just too awesome. XD GL on everone's hunts!!!!!!