• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

After a few failed Sandygast hunts I was getting tired of sos hunts and decided to go MM'ing again.
I decided to try the swap method. Where the game remembers the egg values of all eggs hatched even if you reset your game.

MM'd for a shiny Magikarp, it shone after about 120 eggs already and turned out to be male so I reset my game, swapped the Gyarados in the daycare for Hitmonlee (since I need 3 shiny Tyrogue) and eventually a shiny Tyrogue hatched after the same amount of eggs.

I wonder why the game even makes this possible. Is it a failsafe in case your battery dies, put in there intentionally, or has an entire different function but happens to be able to be used like this?

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After a few failed Sandygast hunts I was getting tired of sos hunts and decided to go MM'ing again.
I decided to try the swap method. Where the game remembers the egg values of all eggs hatched even if you reset your game.

MM'd for a shiny Magikarp, it shone after about 120 eggs already and turned out to be male so I reset my game, swapped the Gyarados in the daycare for Hitmonlee (since I need 3 shiny Tyrogue) and eventually a shiny Tyrogue hatched after the same amount of eggs.

I wonder why the game even makes this possible. Is it a failsafe in case your battery dies, put in there intentionally, or has an entire different function but happens to be able to be used like this?

Not sure. But here's another little trick I discovered: If you're breeding for a HA shiny and the shiny magikarp is not shiny but the one after it is, you can reject the shiny egg and accept the next one. The shiny value will be passed on from the rejected egg to the accepted egg so it will hatch shiny AND with its HA. This can also be done for IV spread, up to 7 times before the shiny value is lost. For a while when I hatched magikarps, I would check the next few eggs after the shiny for females, then use this trick to try and hatch a shiny female salandit. Eventually it worked and I got my shiny salazzle.

Though when I find the shiny 'karp I don't re-hatch all the eggs. I collect and hatch eggs as I go, and if I get to a point where all the eggs in my inventory have hatched and the nursery lady doesn't have another egg for me, I save there. Keeps the backtracking when I find the shiny to a minimum. Then when I find it, I collect to the egg just before the shiny egg, save, take the karp out, then hatch the other non-shiny eggs and release them. THEN I put in the 'mon I want shiny, save again, get the egg and hatch it. And there, shiny. But everyone has their own way of doing it so meh. At least it cuts down the grind for long-hatch 'mons like dragon-types and pseudo-legendaries with the 10k step hatch timer

Last edited:
Not sure. But here's another little trick I discovered: If you're breeding for a HA shiny and the shiny magikarp is not shiny but the one after it is, you can reject the shiny egg and accept the next one. The shiny value will be passed on from the rejected egg to the accepted egg so it will hatch shiny AND with its HA. This can also be done for IV spread, up to 7 times before the shiny value is lost. For a while when I hatched magikarps, I would check the next few eggs after the shiny for females, then use this trick to try and hatch a shiny female salandit. Eventually it worked and I got my shiny salazzle.

Though when I find the shiny 'karp I don't re-hatch all the eggs. I collect and hatch eggs as I go, and if I get to a point where all the eggs in my inventory have hatched and the nursery lady doesn't have another egg for me, I save there. Keeps the backtracking when I find the shiny to a minimum. Then when I find it, I collect to the egg just before the shiny egg, save, take the karp out, then hatch the other non-shiny eggs and release them. THEN I put in the 'mon I want shiny, save again, get the egg and hatch it. And there, shiny. But everyone has their own way of doing it so meh. At least it cuts down the grind for long-hatch 'mons like dragon-types and pseudo-legendaries with the 10k step hatch timer
Thanks a lot for that tip. I've been thinking of getting female Combee and Salandit this way but didn't know that you can pass on the SV of the egg if you reject it.

Also heard that because of the non-even gender ratios, if you for an instance swap out a female Magikarp for a Salandit egg, it still has 50% chance to be male.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Found a shiny Makuhita in Pokemon Go today. :) It caught me by surprise to say the least.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Thanks a lot for that tip. I've been thinking of getting female Combee and Salandit this way but didn't know that you can pass on the SV of the egg if you reject it.

Also heard that because of the non-even gender ratios, if you for an instance swap out a female Magikarp for a Salandit egg, it still has 50% chance to be male.

That is true. Because pokemon with a 50/50 gender ratio have four chances each to be male or female, depending on what number rolls for gender. 1-4 is male, 5-8 is female. For 'mons with weird gender ratios like the starters, salandit, and combee, to be female the gender roll has to roll an 8 or else it will be male. Getting that shiny female salandit took me a couple months of trying every time I hatched a shiny karp that was female or had females hatching after it

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Got a shiny ariados in the friend safari while waiting out cutscenes in Darksiders today. Female, timid nature and capable of taking hits, with Insomnia. Caught it in a luxury ball.

Lickitung is being stubborn... 2,100 eggs and counting.

Shiny Kangaskhan hatched after only 155 eggs. MM hunts are going pretty fast atm, not expecting that luck to last much longer though.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
*groan* As soon as I switch back over to Y, I get what I least want. A freaking shiny bibarel. Male, quiet nature, likes to thrash about, Moody (HA). It's a shiny, but bibarel sucks so it's not one I'm particularly thrilled about.

Lickitung continues to be stubborn at 2,340 eggs and counting.

Shiny luck persisted and I hatched a shiny female Nidoran after only 56 eggs, probably the fastest MM hunt I've did.

Gonna keep MM'ing, either for a female Salandit or a Porygon.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny oricorio pom-pom style from Melemele Meadow after 295 REs!

I wanted to actually get a shiny that wasn't from the friend safari and lickitung is still not cooperating, so I went looking for an oricorio. Tried to SOS one yesterday but failed at 177 calls... Not sure if it ran out of PP or I hit run by mistake (which happens a lot unfortunately XP). So today I grabbed my shiny ampharos as a static lead and went REing. And I got exactly what i wanted.

As soon as she was caught I used purple nectar to change her into the sensu style because that's my favorite oricorio form (baile style being a close second so I may hunt oricorio again for one).

She's timid nature and somewhat stubborn. No max IVs but "very good" in ATK, SpATK, and SpDEF, "decent" in everything else.

Back to the egg grind... 2,400 eggs and counting

Edit: Ugh, FINALLY. Shiny lickitung after 2,448 eggs. That was a decently long one...

Male, calm nature, mischievous, with Oblivious. 5IVs missing DEF.

Next is drifloon, because I badly want it and have been failing at SOSing it. Then seel.

Last edited:

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Not sure if anyone else is hunting shiny celebi but while I was doing research on ilex forest celebi I found out this specific celebi from VC crystal is guaranteed 5ivs when transferred and that unless you give ANY experience at all to your celebi before tranfer then its a guaranteed timid nature. If you also want a certain shiny celebi nature / are going for just a different nature one then the chart shown below will explain how much exp is needed to move the nature around on the chart. So essentially if you are keeping your celebi NT (not touched) before tranfer it is always a timid nature and can't be any other nature if its NT. Hope this info helps others in their hunts.
http://imgur.com/261c9QG
http://imgur.com/9tRrRCh

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Second shiny oricorio pom-pom style after 720 REs. Promptly changed to baile style. This one is jolly nature and strong willed, with Dancer. Best IVs are HP, SpDEF, and Speed with "pretty good" while the rest are only "decent"

The static trick is quite helpful for getting oricorio.

Edit: Shiny drifloon after only 110 eggs! Maybe the game was trying to make up for lickitung. lol

Female, naughty nature and alert to sounds, with Aftermath. Was trying to get Unburden. But meh. 4IVs, xx/31/31/31/xx/31

The trick of rejecting the shiny egg to pass on the shiny value may have been patched... I was trying it with this drifloon hoping to get an Unburden shiny but the eggs were hatching non-shiny. Will have to experiment.

Seel is next.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
My 7km egg hatched in Pokemon Go and it hatched into a shiny Pichu.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny frogadier from the safari. Male (duh), sassy nature and somewhat vain, with Protean (yes! \o/). Not a bad catch and not the worst nature.

Seel is at 390 eggs and counting.

Edit: And there is the shiny wartortle. Male again, brave nature (meh...) and mischievous, with Torrent.

Changing safaris now...

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
My hunt for a shiny Koffing has FINALLY ended in Pokemon Crystal. After over 200 (nearing 300) hours of hunting, one showed up last night. :p Caught her and named her Toxi (for now).

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny furfrou after 145 SOS calls! Whew, that was a nerve-wracking hunt... I have to breed or catch and train an absol to use as a mega absol for low-rank mons that insist on spamming sand attack. Mega absol has magic bounce which won't let sand attack do its thing. The furfrous had my accuracy so low I'd use up all of a move's PP trying to faint one XP I had to switch callers every 5-10 successful calls just because I'd miss for 12 turns straight along with how infrequently furfrou calls

Furfrou is female, mild nature and mischievous, with Fur Coat. She's 4IVs missing ATK and DEF. Not that I ever intend to actually use her in battle. I just really like shiny furfrou.

Seel is at 540 eggs and counting.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Shiny furfrou after 145 SOS calls! Whew, that was a nerve-wracking hunt... I have to breed or catch and train an absol to use as a mega absol for low-rank mons that insist on spamming sand attack. Mega absol has magic bounce which won't let sand attack do its thing. The furfrous had my accuracy so low I'd use up all of a move's PP trying to faint one XP I had to switch callers every 5-10 successful calls just because I'd miss for 12 turns straight along with how infrequently furfrou calls

Furfrou is female, mild nature and mischievous, with Fur Coat. She's 4IVs missing ATK and DEF. Not that I ever intend to actually use her in battle. I just really like shiny furfrou.

Seel is at 540 eggs and counting.

You know you can use Substitute to nullify Sand Attack, other stat reducing moves and even status afflicting moves? Might make those hunts a little easier in the future.

As for Mew, still yet to get the correct ID in Yellow to allow one to transfer, which is 22796. Have got 3 digits in the correct spots a number of times, but never had 4 or 5 right yet. Guess that's what happens with a 1/65536 hunt!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
You know you can use Substitute to nullify Sand Attack, other stat reducing moves and even status afflicting moves? Might make those hunts a little easier in the future.

As for Mew, still yet to get the correct ID in Yellow to allow one to transfer, which is 22796. Have got 3 digits in the correct spots a number of times, but never had 4 or 5 right yet. Guess that's what happens with a 1/65536 hunt!

I was using substitute. It wasn't helping. Every time I tried to get my accuracy back up they took it right back down XP Jerks...

Edit: Shiny pawniard from the friend safari. I'm hunting absol, but pawniard is nice, too. Male, jolly nature and mischievous, with Defiant

Edit #2: Shiny seel after 1,119 eggs. I wish GF had made it more noticeable... So hard to tell the shiny one from the regular one. Male, everstoned calm, takes plenty of siestas, and he got his HA, Ice Body. Thanks again to TheMaster327 for the HA seels, from our egg trade vivillon hunt (a seel shone for me, still waiting for scatterbug to shine for him, whenever we get back to it. I'm still sitting on four boxes of scatterbug eggs in Sun).

Going to train it, then start working on absol.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
FINALLY, after God knows how many weeks I spent of coming up goose eggs on my SR hunt for chimchar on Platinum, so many that I started playing UltraMoon, I've finally got some new shinies to report. Unfortunately, they're all in UltraMoon, but I'm still trying for that elusive shiny chimchar.

The Ultra Space wormholes have been very kind to me, previously in UltraSun and now in UltraMoon. This week I managed to finally break my long shiny drought with a shiny nuzleaf (one of many), then I got a shiny abomasnow (which I think is a new shiny for me), and finally earlier tonight a shiny crustle (which IS a new shiny for me).

I'm working on filling my pokedex and tracking down the legendaries, so hopefully I'll have more shinies to report in upcoming weeks.