• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Shiny Dreepy after only 239 eggs~
Didn't expect it to hatch that soon.

Next target's gonna be Sobble, still have to hatch a ton of leftover eggs and release them though.

As for the animations, I don't really care if it's squares or sparkles. They also messed up the ratios which make square sparkles super common for wild encounters and the opposite for hatched eggs. No clue how it affects SR's (I think the only ones you can SR for in these games are the fossils or maybe very strong pokemon in the wild area but I'm assuming the fossils fall under the encounter ones).

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Now, I'm back in Sword going for Sobble. I'm one Pokemon away from the Shiny Charm and, rather than take the easy way out and ask for a touch trade, I'm instead playing a little game: which will happen first? Shiny Sobble (1/683) or getting a Sableye via Surprise Trade (1/397 species because Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus can't be traded via Surprise Trade). If the former happens, I'll just ask someone to do a touch trade, but it's keeping me amused right now.

It was Sobble that appeared first. Just seconds ago, after 793 eggs, I hatched a Shiny Sobble. Gonna get my Shiny Charm this evening and I'll start either hunting Galarian Zigzagoon via Masuda Method or start SRing for a Shiny fossil (I have several fossils, but most will end up Arctozolt).

This Silicobra hunt isn't proving to be very fun, especially since it doesn't feel like it's a 30% encounter when I've encountered multiple rare encounters like Heatmor and Torkoal multiple times in a row. It's been quite a few days and I still haven't reached 500 Silicobra encountered, so I think I'm just going to call off on this hunt and maybe Masuda for it instead, or at least give myself a break before I continue with the method I'm using. I think I'm going to go for Rookidee since they're a lot more common and it shouldn't take long to reach 500 on it.

EDIT: HOW.

image0.jpg

This was like 55 encounters in. This Rookidee somehow beat out Toxel for my fastest Shiny Hunt. Well that definitely cheered me up after the disaster that was the dropped Silicobra hunt.

I think I'm going for Sobble via the Masuda Method next, once I power level this girl, who I'm naming Caramel, until she becomes a Corviknight.

Last edited:

SerenaRulez

Hi everyone congrats on the newest shinies! I've been collecting shinies ever since Black 2 when the Shiny Charm key item was introduced which made finding shinies easier and I'm currently trying to find a shiny Tympole because I think it's a cute Pokemon and I wanted a shiny version of it. I'm also preparing to use the masuda method to hatch a shiny Froakie in X because I want to have a shiny Greninja on my team.

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
Hi everyone congrats on the newest shinies! I've been collecting shinies ever since Black 2 when the Shiny Charm key item was introduced which made finding shinies easier and I'm currently trying to find a shiny Tympole because I think it's a cute Pokemon and I wanted a shiny version of it. I'm also preparing to use the masuda method to hatch a shiny Froakie in X because I want to have a shiny Greninja on my team.
Good luck! I got an adorable shiny Tympole in White early last year :) as for my hunts, Lapras is on 16,000 srs atm and is now my fourth longest sr hunt, beating out Charmander. Hoping to move on soon, I wanna go back to my LG BQ and try for Sandshrew again! Congrats to all shinies and good luck!

AzulTheCerulean20

Borne by Valkyries
Update on the Vullaby hunt, 350 eggs in, decided to switch out my current vullaby in daycare with one caught in a dusk ball.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Ran into and caught a second shiny Sawk today in X version. Continuing my shiny Breloom and Machoke hunt.

Last edited:
I have no idea what my luck is lately but I ain't complaining.

image0.jpg

I'm really happy that I got another fast hunt, this maybe took me about five hours in total? I named him Skittles, since he's the son of my starter, Starburst, and she and her team had a candy name theme. I'm going to go after Nickit next, since the route I took in KOing Rookidee for that hunt seemed pretty effective.

Bonus picture of Skittles with his mom.
image0.jpg

EDIT: Another one. Not as fast as Rookiedee, even in terms of total battled, but still pretty fast! I've named him Nicolas, not the most creative nickname in the world but it works.

image0.jpg

I think I'm going back to Silicobra, but only until I achieve 500 battled, before I move on to another hunt. I'm taking Silicobra in stages since it's so frustrating to get consistent grass encounters with.

EDIT 2: Reached 500 and one extra battled just in case, now I'm going after Wooloo. I'm gonna get that pretty black sheep!

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Falinks is great because its six shinies in one

Erron Black

The Outlaw
FINALLY got my Shiny Zigzagoon! After ~1300 Murder Method encounters and ~700-ish MM eggs, I got it!

Hatched as a Female, nicknamed her Pantera. She's the first of my Sword SBQ!

After defeating Milo, I immediately started to MM for Shiny Toxel, hope this is a much faster hunt than Zigzagoon. :)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Got a square shiny Joltik in Sword with 3 battles! Still hunting for shiny Milcery and shiny Rookidee.

DUa9ZXZ.jpg

Cc5P7vR.jpg

Baggie_Saiyan

Shinnies this Gen disappoint anyone else? Gen7 I hunted loads because majority were great but Gen 8...they seem so dull or uninspired. Like Fossils lose all their vibrancy and why would I hunt dull looking shinnies? Starters Sobble line is great but Grookey and Scorbunny no they don't seem worth it. Boltund what the hell is that?!

So many are like that for me like only 4 or 5 currently I feel like worth hunting probably Masuda them and call it a day no incentive for me to get the shiny charm this gen at all.

I took a break from hunting Wooloo since it was taking longer than I was hoping it to. Since Christmas is getting close, I decided to hunt a Milcery since my boyfriend's favorite Gen 8 Pokemon is Alcremie. And eventually this little lady hatched out.

image0.jpg

I'm going to name her Holiday, since to my knowledge you can now rename traded Pokemon so my boyfriend can choose a different name for her if he wants to. I'm going to look for another Milcery to keep for myself though.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
My mom found and caught her first shiny in Pokemon Go today. A shiny Torchic that she named Nugget.

Still working on my shiny Cyndaquil, Breloom and Magikarp hunts.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Imagine long it'd be to get every shiny Alcreime form

Baggie_Saiyan

400 eggs and still no Shiny Nickit! No charm but the longest in SuMo was 200 something preCharm...

Getting to the point of frustration now... but I can't give up!

Thankfully like I said not many Mons I do want to hunt this gen

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was hatching some Yogiras (Larvitar) eggs in SoulSilver version this morning that I had stored in my PC a few weeks ago, and I hatched a Shiny one completely by accident during my box cleaning session. I'm pleased because Yogiras has such a vivid Shiny coloration and I don't plan on evolving it since I don't think the Shiny versions of its evolved forms look quite as spiffy.