1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Dangertrout, Nov 13, 2012.

1. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I decided to hunt for Grimer in Ultra Sun. After two failures I ended up encountering Magnemite and decided "I was going to go after it anyway, so why not SOS chain". And my luck finally arrived with a shiny Magnemite. Just to make it luckier, I also got the Hidden Ability of Analytic on it.

2. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

Been hearing that the 'Murder Method' is currently bugged and you only have a 3% chance to get the 1/512 odds after you hit 500 defeated?

If this is the case... wow, 101% the worst method they've ever introduced.

Anyway, I've stopped using this method for my Zigzagoon after seeing well over 1,000 of them, and decided to go back to Masuda Method. Hoping it shines soon.

3. aisnotanumber

aisnotanumber New Member

Hey guys! Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the whole sparkle-gate debate. Do you like the idea of there being a rare form of shiny now? Or would you rather have had something else, like a rarer color scheme or something? I know some people like this idea of rarer sparkles, but what's your opinion?

Current Hunt:
    [​IMG]
    MM (Gen VI) (750+ eggs)​

SerenaRulez likes this.
  4. Kyuu-Tales

Kyuu-Tales 織田信長☆FAN

I think it's a very interesting concept, but its execution was a bit sloppy. There's really no distinguishing between the two outside of that graphic animation. Maybe they could've done something else to really make the rarer ones "pop", like make the shiny model shimmer or something?

5. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

I don't really have an opinion either way.

Both sparkles are good to me, but they aren't different enough to make me WANT to get one over the other. I guess it's just nice to have a bit more variety in the sparkle though?

6. Shiny Dreepy after only 239 eggs~
    Didn't expect it to hatch that soon.

Next target's gonna be Sobble, still have to hatch a ton of leftover eggs and release them though.

As for the animations, I don't really care if it's squares or sparkles. They also messed up the ratios which make square sparkles super common for wild encounters and the opposite for hatched eggs. No clue how it affects SR's (I think the only ones you can SR for in these games are the fossils or maybe very strong pokemon in the wild area but I'm assuming the fossils fall under the encounter ones).

SerenaRulez likes this.
  7. Draknir

Draknir Fear the Deer

It was Sobble that appeared first. Just seconds ago, after 793 eggs, I hatched a Shiny Sobble. Gonna get my Shiny Charm this evening and I'll start either hunting Galarian Zigzagoon via Masuda Method or start SRing for a Shiny fossil (I have several fossils, but most will end up Arctozolt).

SerenaRulez likes this.
  8. SpookyMimikyu

SpookyMimikyu See me?

This Silicobra hunt isn't proving to be very fun, especially since it doesn't feel like it's a 30% encounter when I've encountered multiple rare encounters like Heatmor and Torkoal multiple times in a row. It's been quite a few days and I still haven't reached 500 Silicobra encountered, so I think I'm just going to call off on this hunt and maybe Masuda for it instead, or at least give myself a break before I continue with the method I'm using. I think I'm going to go for Rookidee since they're a lot more common and it shouldn't take long to reach 500 on it.

EDIT: HOW.

[​IMG]

This was like 55 encounters in. This Rookidee somehow beat out Toxel for my fastest Shiny Hunt. Well that definitely cheered me up after the disaster that was the dropped Silicobra hunt.

I think I'm going for Sobble via the Masuda Method next, once I power level this girl, who I'm naming Caramel, until she becomes a Corviknight.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    SerenaRulez likes this.
  9. SerenaRulez

SerenaRulez Well-Known Member

Hi everyone congrats on the newest shinies! I've been collecting shinies ever since Black 2 when the Shiny Charm key item was introduced which made finding shinies easier and I'm currently trying to find a shiny Tympole because I think it's a cute Pokemon and I wanted a shiny version of it. I'm also preparing to use the masuda method to hatch a shiny Froakie in X because I want to have a shiny Greninja on my team.

10. ArcanineRaichu77

ArcanineRaichu77 Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~

Good luck! I got an adorable shiny Tympole in White early last year :) as for my hunts, Lapras is on 16,000 srs atm and is now my fourth longest sr hunt, beating out Charmander. Hoping to move on soon, I wanna go back to my LG BQ and try for Sandshrew again! Congrats to all shinies and good luck!

SerenaRulez likes this.
  11. AzulTheCerulean20

AzulTheCerulean20 Borne by Valkyries

Update on the Vullaby hunt, 350 eggs in, decided to switch out my current vullaby in daycare with one caught in a dusk ball.

SerenaRulez likes this.
  12. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Don't mess with the bull. You'll get the horns. Staff Member Moderator

Ran into and caught a second shiny Sawk today in X version. Continuing my shiny Breloom and Machoke hunt.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  13. SpookyMimikyu

SpookyMimikyu See me?

I have no idea what my luck is lately but I ain't complaining.

[​IMG]

I'm really happy that I got another fast hunt, this maybe took me about five hours in total? I named him Skittles, since he's the son of my starter, Starburst, and she and her team had a candy name theme. I'm going to go after Nickit next, since the route I took in KOing Rookidee for that hunt seemed pretty effective.

Bonus picture of Skittles with his mom.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Another one. Not as fast as Rookiedee, even in terms of total battled, but still pretty fast! I've named him Nicolas, not the most creative nickname in the world but it works.

[​IMG]

I think I'm going back to Silicobra, but only until I achieve 500 battled, before I move on to another hunt. I'm taking Silicobra in stages since it's so frustrating to get consistent grass encounters with.

EDIT 2: Reached 500 and one extra battled just in case, now I'm going after Wooloo. I'm gonna get that pretty black sheep!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  14. TheMaster327

TheMaster327 Well-Known Member

SerenaRulez likes this.
  15. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Falinks is great because its six shinies in one

16. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

FINALLY got my Shiny Zigzagoon! After ~1300 Murder Method encounters and ~700-ish MM eggs, I got it!

Hatched as a Female, nicknamed her Pantera. She's the first of my Sword SBQ!

After defeating Milo, I immediately started to MM for Shiny Toxel, hope this is a much faster hunt than Zigzagoon. :)

SerenaRulez likes this.
  17. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~ and Animal Crossing

Got a square shiny Joltik in Sword with 3 battles! Still hunting for shiny Milcery and shiny Rookidee.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SerenaRulez likes this.
  18. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

Shinnies this Gen disappoint anyone else? Gen7 I hunted loads because majority were great but Gen 8...they seem so dull or uninspired. Like Fossils lose all their vibrancy and why would I hunt dull looking shinnies? Starters Sobble line is great but Grookey and Scorbunny no they don't seem worth it. Boltund what the hell is that?!

So many are like that for me like only 4 or 5 currently I feel like worth hunting probably Masuda them and call it a day no incentive for me to get the shiny charm this gen at all.

Leonhart likes this.
  19. TheMaster327

TheMaster327 Well-Known Member

SerenaRulez likes this.
  20. SpookyMimikyu

SpookyMimikyu See me?

I took a break from hunting Wooloo since it was taking longer than I was hoping it to. Since Christmas is getting close, I decided to hunt a Milcery since my boyfriend's favorite Gen 8 Pokemon is Alcremie. And eventually this little lady hatched out.

[​IMG]

I'm going to name her Holiday, since to my knowledge you can now rename traded Pokemon so my boyfriend can choose a different name for her if he wants to. I'm going to look for another Milcery to keep for myself though.

Leonhart likes this.