• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
It took a catch combo of 154 to get my shiny Geodude in Let's Go Eevee, but moments after I got it, a shiny Zubat popped up! Two more species off my list!

I set myself a goal of the first 150 Pokemon in shiny form in 150 days! I'm on day 26 or 27, and I'm currently at 36 of the 150! (Not counting Mew, because that would require alternative means and I want them legit with my own trainer ID.) (Also not counting regional forms of Kanto Pokemon.)

Last edited:

L4BRUJ4

Hi everyone, which is the fastest & best way to get shiny female venusaur? legal ways only, thanks.

Works for any game, i want shiny dex in home

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Hi everyone, which is the fastest & best way to get shiny female venusaur? legal ways only, thanks.

Works for any game, i want shiny dex in home
Breeding for a shiny female Bulbasaur, Wonder Trading, Masuda Method, soft resetting, Capture Combos (You’ll have a higher shiny rate if you catch more of a particular species in LGPE), etc.

Those are all of the legal ways to get a shiny female Bulbasaur which you can evolve into Venusaur.

L4BRUJ4

Breeding for a shiny female Bulbasaur, Wonder Trading, Masuda Method, soft resetting, Capture Combos (You’ll have a higher shiny rate if you catch more of a particular species in LGPE), etc.

Those are all of the legal ways to get a shiny female Bulbasaur which you can evolve into Venusaur.
yeah, but.... which is the fastest way?

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
All of them and none of them simultaneously. You’re going against the odds and RNG of these methods. You could get what you’re looking for on the first try or never or anywhere in between.

The odds of a shiny are 1/4096 while the odds of a particular Bulbasaur being female is 1/8 so you are looking at a base rate of 1/32,769 of any Bulbasaur obtained from breeding or capturing to be a shiny female. Wonder trade is just luck of the draw.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
There's not sure fire method. I'll cover most methods that I know of from "Quickest to longest"
  1. Pokémon Go's Community Day - At 1 in 25 chance, this is the best chance, You'll often have a good chance of getting at least a Shiny. The Main issue is which Pokémon is available, and when said day is active. Some people maybe inclined to trade soon after an event.
  2. LGPE's Catch Combo - Lure up with the Shiny charm, and you'll just need to combo the Bulbasaurs in Viridian Forest
  3. Masuda Method - You'll need Parent from different Language games, and the ability to do alot of breeding. I'd get a movie or TV Box set ready for this one, It's not hard or needs much concentration, just long. Shiny Charm may help here.
  4. Soft resetting - Viable with Bulbasaur, this could take quite some time and is possible to "Fail:" Accidentally Soft resetting on said shiny!
  5. GTS/Wondertrading - Pure chance. However, there's a few Bots that do send shiny Pokémon which has a questionable origin.

Vindicated30.6

I got two out of three shiny Lycanroc at North Province, Area One in Violet last night! (By the lake with the three towers.) I wish the Dusk form spawned for more than three minutes at a time.

As for the shiny Bulbasaur, I recommend trying the GTS on Home.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Last edited:

Vindicated30.6

Cool find. I also like Sneasel
I caught a second shiny Sneasel right after I evolved my first! Sneasel is my favorite as well! And it looks really cool as a magenta Weavile. My goal is to have two shiny Sneasel and two shiny Weavile, one of either gender, and name them after frozen desserts that can be pink. So far I have Froyo and Gelati, and I need Smoothie and Sherbet.

EngiePa

I caught a second shiny Sneasel right after I evolved my first! Sneasel is my favorite as well! And it looks really cool as a magenta Weavile. My goal is to have two shiny Sneasel and two shiny Weavile, one of either gender, and name them after frozen desserts that can be pink. So far I have Froyo and Gelati, and I need Smoothie and Sherbet.
Good luck with your search. ;)

Li_Syaoran

I've had good luck with Shinys the last few days.
I caught a Shiny Murkrow and a Shiny Alpha Honchcrow in Legend Arceus.
In Violet I caught Shiny Golduck, Ralts and Cyclizar while on my way to Raids.:p

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Hello, shiny community!
It's been years since I made a post on this forum - it's good to see that people are still extracting joy from getting those beloved little shinies!

Just yesterday I finished a hunt I've been working on for nearly a year, if you don't count the first leg of the hunt, which I started nearly ten years ago.

Reuniclus in the original gen V games has always been one of my very favourite shinies, perhaps even my number one, and I managed to snag two japanese dittos from the Global Trade System the day before it shut down for good in 2014. At this point I started breeding for a shiny using the Masuda Method, thinking for some reason that I'd get it pretty quickly. I got discouraged after a few hundred eggs, and gave up the hunt, until:

About two years ago I was playing a Black2 Nuzlocke.
On route 5 what else do I run into than a random shiny Gothita? Seeing as how, if I'd been playing White2/White, this encounter would have been Solosis, exsclusive to White, I felt that it was a sort of sign I should finish the hunt I started all those years ago.

With renewed hope I started hatching again, not knowing it would take me about 330 days and 200 in-game hours to finally hatch this shiny Solosis. It finally showed up yesterday, on egg number 4905 - so counting in the few hundred eggs from nine years ago, it took me over 5000 eggs - placing the odds at 1/1365, the chance of hatching one shiny after 5000 eggs is 97 percent, so I can count myself in the unlucky 3 percent, hah!
Feeling very lucky and very happy now though:>

3FNWNKb.jpg

niex5QN.jpg

It did not get the Magic Guard ability, but it got a Quiet nature, which I am happy about. The IVs are only decent, but if I'm lucky the attack and speed stats are dismal and the rest OK - but I don't even care at this point!

Good luck to everyone else on their hunts.

Archaeus_

Proud Serebii Member
Woo! Today I was bored since I'd EV trained and did all the stuff for my team of Gen 9ers and got bored of the Academy Ace Tourney (did it like 20 times) and I decided to take a walk in Area Zero. I made a Ghost type Shiny Sandwich in hopes of getting a shiny Flutter Mane, and boom. There it was! I kinda used the exploit but it only took me 5 minutes and it appeared by the side of the road so yeah.

Update: OH MY GOD. Shiny Great Tusk and Shiny Scream Tail in one sandwich

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I managed to get my first shadow shiny, and from an admin no less. It was Aipom, whom I don't even have the evolved shadow Ambipom

Vindicated30.6

I hooked my Go Plus+ up this morning and by breakfast time, I had a shiny Roselia and Yanma!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I wasn't focusing on shiny hunting during this Adventure Week; with GO I am generally happy being surprised unless it is a community day, or a Pokemon that could be mega evolved down the line. After a long day using the 5 x XP bonus for new Pokestops in conjunction with Lucky Egg, I managed to find a green Lileep. This is one of those shinies I have fondness for because I like how Lileep and Cradily swap colors with one another

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
so a little shiny story.

favourite new gen 9 shiny is Lokix, so after my friend got a natural encounter (and several other Pokemon) I had made the decision to actively shiyn hunt for one in the games.

I made a shiny bug encounter sandwich and after a few days of resets I caught one.

Then the following week while just raid hunting and not having any sandwhich effects I encounter 2 more natural rate spawned shiny Lokix.

M30WTH

new member here :D
I'm currently hunting bulbasaur in LGE with a catch combo and just phased on a full odds metapod! I haven't been a hunter for long so this was my first actual phase and it's an interesting mix of surprise, happiness and disappointment. found this thread a while ago and thought I might as well post this

p.s. is there any way to keep the smileys as emoticons, not emojis??