• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Community hunt complete x4!

Yes, only 2 days after Misdreavus shiny Mareep appears on my Soul Silver!

guidinglight_zps2830f25f.jpg

Looks like I win the race! But good luck to Red La Derp, hope you get your pink sheep soon. :] The nature is Jolly which is pretty bad but its also Mischievous which may mean it has a max special attack IV so I may still make it into a special attacker. But yea, was not expecting it to shine this soon but no complaints here. Gratz to Shiny Supercow on finally getting that Porygon and Dangertrout on the random Pansear! Good luck everyone!

TheEliteEmpoleon

For the past few days I've mainly been working on Terrakion. I want to complete the CH twice, since I most likely won't in March, when I'll focus more on my stupid BQ. So good luck to all.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Hi guys havent been here in a while nice to see all the people i remember still doing great finding ive finally accomplished something and thats getting a hunt all they way to 11000 and thats what im hunting atm and its suicune i really hope i get this shiny soon so i can return to my platinum BQ good luck guys and congrats on the recent shinies

kayteemae

Hit To Key
I hate working full time, barely had any chance to hatch anything for this CH, still under 300 eggs and it's almost the end of the month! Come on Mareep, please shine soon!

Ytterbium70

DIE PEOPLE
I have decided to go after a shiny Horsea or Tentacruel in the Whirl Islands. I'm only doing this hunt because it fits the CH and I am searching for a dragon scale to evolve my Seadra. It's my first shiny hunt I plan on actually continuing.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Regirock is being quite stubborn... Nearing 6k now. Hopefully this won't go over the odds...

EDIT: Eeeeeee! The delicious one has appeared! Regichoc!!! 5,926 SRs!!! Pics to come!!!

EDIT2: Battle pic -
235803_zps37937df8.jpg

EDIT3: Shinydex -
001115_zps4f569008.jpg
- Blergh... Timid nature... Worst. Nature. Ever.

EDIT4:
001840_zpsc1b8bb53.jpg

001844_zps2a130ca4.jpg

001856_zps50a12d58.jpg

001901_zps1ced5497.jpg

EDIT5: IVs...
HP: 17-18
Atk: 8-10
Def: 29
Sp.Atk: 11-12
Sp.Def: 2-3
Speed: 20-21

Not bad, there... But terrible nature...

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Jonny7197 on Duosion, Scrufox86 on Druddigon, Shiny Supercow on Porygon, Dangertrout on Pansear, City Of Delusion on Mareep, and TheMaster327 on Regirock!

Sorry to hear about the Wooper, *IZ*.

Did 50 Piplup SRs and 240 REs in Virbank Complex today =\

Also, I've been curious about this for a while...Why does Black 2 keep going even when the system is closed or the home button is pushed? Sometimes I think I'd like to close it and try to get the sparkles if one ever appears (granted, I'll still probably be so surprised that I'd just stare and forget to close it), but I can't since the game keeps going...

Another question while I'm at it. How long will it be before we know if there are shiny locks on the Gen 6 Legnedaries? I mean would it take long after the games come out, or do people just do their RNG stuff right away and they can know?

dan2point5

Congrats on Porygon, Pansear, Mareep and Regirock guys! Great work!

Well I officially started the final hunt yesterday and I finally decided I'd hunt for (hopefully) one of the Nidorans. I'm scared I'll run into an Abra but that's the beauty of the game, the risk haha. I've also set up a mini game in my head for this hunt. I'm hoping to find a shiny before I encounter 100 Yanmas since they are 1% appearance rate. So far my hunt stands at 500RE's (6 Yanma seen lol).

Best of luck over the weekend peeps!

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all the recent shinies everybody :)
Chris, I guess it's probably that people RNG and then they find out... it'll just need a bit of patience.
I had a dream I got my shiny Wobbuffet last night... so perhaps I find it today? xD I'm up to about 600 eggs, and still nothing...
Good luck to everybody still hunting :)

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Also, I've been curious about this for a while...Why does Black 2 keep going even when the system is closed or the home button is pushed? Sometimes I think I'd like to close it and try to get the sparkles if one ever appears (granted, I'll still probably be so surprised that I'd just stare and forget to close it), but I can't since the game keeps going...

You can only 'pause' the game (either by closing the lid or hitting the home button) if you have your C-Gear switched off; otherwise the game just keeps playing. This applies to Black/White as well.

Congrats on the army of new shinies guys! ^_^

No new shinies for me yet. I'm at 7730 SR for shiny Thundurus, 1500 encounters in my HG badge quest and 1800 encounters in Crystal. I've also been doing a little hunting every now and then for shiny Kecleon in Ruby, Landorus in Japanese Black and Kyurem in Black/White 2 (I'm at 2073 SR for it).

Good luck guys.

Ytterbium70

DIE PEOPLE
YES!
snow day for me, should be able to get in lots of encounters
How do you guys keep track of encounters?

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
^I use a calculator. You could just count in your head and make a note of it later.

Anyways, no luck yet. 325 SRs for Rotom, 1000 REs in Pinwheel Forest and 590 SRs for Squirtle. Good luck and congrats on all shinies, including Pansear (awesome shiny if you ask me).

I am planning to hunt in the Game Corner in FR, but I don't know what to hunt yet. I'll see what I want.

EDIT: Gathering up coins in FireRed now for Abra. About 9,500 coins would be enough to buy me 80 Abras XD I think 60 may be enough (7,200 coins)

Last edited:

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Well looks like those ten boxes of Growlithe eggs contained no golden puppy which brings my egg total to 1,119 eggs(withn the shiny charm) which means that I've gone past the odds. I'm going to store up a box and hatch at villiage bridge then repeat as I have a feeling that it's close. Good luck as always guys.
~Raichu~​

JAWAYami

Shiny Dragon Master
^
^ i use the trainer card to keepp track of REs(go to card flip it over and in that box scroll down to # of encounters[write beginning number down and after you succeed or quit write down end number and end number - beginning number, and viola number of REs])

im changing my hunt....again...i was thinking i already have a shiny Dragonite/Haxorus....why not give myself a SHINY DRAGON CHALLENGE...i wont be able to complete it fully until im able to trade over a flygon/salamence...and im not doing the legends....so all i need that i can do is Hydreigon, Druddigon, Garchomp, Altaria, and Kingdra.

...i figured Hydreigon could be my ''Fly'' Poke'....

ill take a break from the dragons after the next CH starts(depends on what the CH will be...)

grats on the recent successes, good luck on all hunts

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Well I've decided to try and squeeze one more shiny for the CH which will be Wynaut via swarm on white. I've always wanted to get a swarm shiny and I should be able to SR this exact swarm if I did it right.. Also, my 7 days or less completed SR hunt streak has came to an end.. yes, Cresselia is now on day 8 breaking the chain but I'm really hoping it doesn't take too much longer. Anyways, thanks for the gratz everyone and gratz to TheMaster on Regirock! Good luck everyone.

Golemite

Out of curiosity: do people here usually consider PokéRadar (or possibly some other method) shinies somehow "less legitimate" than random encounters? I do maybe a bit. I don't like chaining myself, but I have nothing against people that do it. :p Anyways, finding a totally random shiny is so rare that the joy is so much bigger than finding a chained one, IMO! I don't care about having shinies unless I randomly see one. But again: nothing against those who do! :)

That said, I have only one shiny in all of my games right now. That's what you get when you don't concentrate on searching them! :D A Crobat, in Pearl. Caught a random shiny Zubat and raised it.

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Hey, everyone!

Quick update on my Litwick hunt: after 1,024 eggs a shiny Litwick finally hatched!

I was watching Netflix, thinking to myself "after this egg I'll be officially past the odds for the Shiny Charm", and there she was - green eyes and all!!

I won't bore you with the details, but I'm excited to finally complete this hunt and move on to my next, which I'm not sure of right now...

Pictures and video below, and of course, my signature has been updated!

Good luck, everyone!

Litwick: http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/dansbphotobucket/ShinyLitwick_zps8687022b.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmQ39jK4Fxc

dan2point5

Congrats on the shiny litwick, great shiny.

Yeah I myself hold my chained shinies in less regard than all my others. Not sure why, maybe it's cos chaining was getting too easy and was almost guaranteeing a result within about 90 minutes work.

Anyway I've already done a lot of progress on my hunt so far today. 1,500REs (19 Yanma seen). Will continue later.

Scrufox86

Congrats on the shiny litwick, great shiny.

Yeah I myself hold my chained shinies in less regard than all my others. Not sure why, maybe it's cos chaining was getting too easy and was almost guaranteeing a result within about 90 minutes work.

Anyway I've already done a lot of progress on my hunt so far today. 1,500REs (19 Yanma seen). Will continue later.

Out of curiosity: do people here usually consider PokéRadar (or possibly some other method) shinies somehow "less legitimate" than random encounters? I do maybe a bit. I don't like chaining myself, but I have nothing against people that do it. :p Anyways, finding a totally random shiny is so rare that the joy is so much bigger than finding a chained one, IMO! I don't care about having shinies unless I randomly see one. But again: nothing against those who do! :)

That said, I have only one shiny in all of my games right now. That's what you get when you don't concentrate on searching them! :D A Crobat, in Pearl. Caught a random shiny Zubat and raised it.

No i do not consider my pokeradar shinies less valued. I mean i put in all the effort to get a chain up to 40 and to keep restting for a shiny patch so why would they be less valued? I think the majority of pokeradar hate comes from people who cannot chain and so are jealous of those who can. The best thing they can come out with is the "oh well it makes shinies less valued" excuse. For me personally they are my shinies i have gotten so i value them how i like. I never intentionally Random encountered lookng for shinies until Black 2 came out and the shiny charm but i am enjoying it and love it when i see the shiny appear on screen. I don't value the random encounter shinies more at all. Shinies are shinies, all fantastic. Except hacked ones but i don't use cheating devices anyway.

Oh an update - I have been SRing for shiny Latios i think i am up to 350 SR's (including previous attempts to the 45ish ones i have done today). And also i have been MMing Corphish and Treecko but no shiny yet. Egg count is up to 500.

Dangertrout

Meh. I can chain. I just hate chaining because it requires me paying attention to my game. Any other method, I can multitask. Chaining, I have to sit there and pay attention to patches of grass.
I don't value them less.... unless I've chained a bidoof. God, I hate Bidoof. >: (
Anyways, I value shinies based on how much I like the shiny and how much time I put in to get the shiny, not the method used to get it.