• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

ohjeezitskim

Hey, everyone!

Quick update on my Litwick hunt: after 1,024 eggs a shiny Litwick finally hatched!

I was watching Netflix, thinking to myself "after this egg I'll be officially past the odds for the Shiny Charm", and there she was - green eyes and all!!

I won't bore you with the details, but I'm excited to finally complete this hunt and move on to my next, which I'm not sure of right now...

Pictures and video below, and of course, my signature has been updated!

Good luck, everyone!

Litwick: http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/dansbphotobucket/ShinyLitwick_zps8687022b.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmQ39jK4Fxc

Awesome! Congrats! That's one of my shiny hunts too! That's amazing how it was at 1,024 xD

Shiny Lord

600 eggs hatched so far in search of a shiny Cyndaquil with shiny charm. Hopefully it comes soon. Have not had a lot of time to hunt because school work is picking up. Would be nice to get it before Feb is over!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
I never really understood the point of getting a shiny before and after the E4 on a BADGE quest.. I mean, its a bit unnecessary imo.

TheEliteEmpoleon

For those doing badge quests, are you doing a pre and post E4 capture as well? Or just 8 badges, got to 1,301 encounters in my new hunt

I'm just doing one shiny before each badge. Speaking of which, I've lost almost all hope in the little golden runt, I'm barely interested, but I need to start this quest already.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
So I know I haven't been around in ages.......been pushing myself to finish this damn HG hunt and was telling myself I wouldn't post here until I had something good to post about but unfortunately I've now reached 11,100 REs and still nothing...... :(

Well done and good luck on everyone else's hunts though - I'll look back through all they pages I've missed in a minute. ^^;

Dangertrout

Speaking of BQs, I think I'll be doing one on my B2 game. As you know, I've been breeding teams for a few friends. We're doing Gen 5 Scramble challenges. I think I'll take my Scramble challenge and add a BQ component to it.
So my challenge will be to get through the game with this pre-determined team AND obtain a shiny before each gym + E4.
Just need to finish breeding the teams for this crazy plan :p
1.5 teams left to breed and we're good to go :D

ohjeezitskim

Quick question, on your BQs when you are hunting do you save after the hours of searching or do you save before you hunt and then just turn it off?

I might do a BQ but I'm unsure because I usually have bad lucky with random encounter shinies - and tend to get bored easily. But when i'm going for my Litwick I save in the tower before I hunt and then when I'm tired of running back in fourth I just turn it off - I hate seeing my play time so high (for some reason I always think it's going to stop working once I hit a certain play time xD)

I'm still back and forth on a BQ or a nuzlocke :c

TheMaster327

Thanks for the congrats, guys! It has come to my attention that I do not have access to the Iceberg Chamber as I thought... As such, I'll be doing a mixture of bird-hunting in Platinum (now off-sig, casual), and resuming Tauros MM in Black. This will be until March 22nd(ish) when I can get that Iceberg Key...

Crimson_Blazer

Quick question, on your BQs when you are hunting do you save after the hours of searching or do you save before you hunt and then just turn it off?

I might do a BQ but I'm unsure because I usually have bad lucky with random encounter shinies - and tend to get bored easily. But when i'm going for my Litwick I save in the tower before I hunt and then when I'm tired of running back in fourth I just turn it off - I hate seeing my play time so high (for some reason I always think it's going to stop working once I hit a certain play time xD)

I'm still back and forth on a BQ or a nuzlocke :c

Some ppl do it differently, some ppl power down after a hunting session, i personally leave my games on until i get a shiny

Scrufox86

OMG! Finally my very FIRST (not including events) shiny Legendary pokemon..... I am so happy! I began SRing Latios again a few hours ago and well it finally shone for me!
I caught it in a luxury ball very quickly too which was surprising.

Here are the IV's which are not very impressive at all but oh well i wasn't planning on competitive play anyway.

Latios - #381 (Modest)
HP: 14
Att: 21
Def: 15 - 16
SpA: 0
SpD: 17 - 18
Speed: 13

By the way congratulations to all recently acquired shinies!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
For those doing badge quests, are you doing a pre and post E4 capture as well? Or just 8 badges, got to 1,301 encounters in my new hunt

I'm definitely not doing a pre E4 capture, but I have considered a post E4 capture for fun, like Palkia or Dialga. Chances are I won't, and it will just be something out there for the future.

Once again, it's been a long time since my last post, so hopefully a general congrats will do! I've managed to do a bit of hunting for my BQ, though, and I'm now at nearly 9400 RE's. I'm hoping to get to 9800 today, so I can be less than 1000 from topping Machop, but I'll go for more if I have time. Good luck everyone, until next time!

shadorai

wandering trainer
i recently RE'd a tranquill at dragonspiral tower.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to YNCRN on Litwick, Scrufox86 on Latios, shadorai on Tranquill, and Crimson_Blazer on Rufflet!

And thanks Roseheart95 and Heliotrope. I forgot about C-Gear being a live function, but that makes sense. I always like to turn C-Gear on just in case, though the only 2 times I've passed people have been outside of home (once at school, once in the car), but I like to be able to streetpass, so I don't have pokemon on anyways when I go out...So I guess I might as well turn it off :x

Out of curiosity: do people here usually consider PokéRadar (or possibly some other method) shinies somehow "less legitimate" than random encounters? I do maybe a bit. I don't like chaining myself, but I have nothing against people that do it. :p

I kind of do, but it's not like I'm going to condemn people who do it either - "Congrats on your chained shinies, even though you really didn't deserve them"...No...It's just that, even though chaining has its own challenges, it can still make it a lot easier to find a few shinies in one go. Just like I don't anticipate ever getting the shiny charm, I also don't think I'll ever really chain...At least not as serious shinies - maybe I'll try chaining shinies I already have at the time or something. That's just me, people are free to do whatever they wanna do and I'm not gonna hold it against em or think less of them/their shinies for doing it.

Today I only did 350 REs at Virbank and 50 SRs for Piplup =\ Should have been able to get more done but I got distracted >.<

Good luck everyone :)

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
When I can't feel bothered to hunt the Johto Starters all I need to do is look at RaichuArcanine's sig.

260 REs in the Giant Chasm and 90 SRs. I may consider resuming my badge quest, but it takes too long to Soft Reset on it...

EDIT: On teh rubber band thing, isong them helps. But the buttons may brake. On my Groudon hunt they broke after most likely 300 SRs. :(

Last edited:

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
When I can't feel bothered to hunt the Johto Starters all I need to do is look at RaichuArcanine's sig.
Lol I'm glad that my signature motivates someone(I have more pics of each of the starters if you want to see them?). If there's no shiny growlithe in this box, i'll store five boxes of eggs. I've decided to breed Eevee on Black 2 and trade it over to White 2 for my BQ, as hunting in Castelia Park is too annoying for me. So the remaining five boxes will be Eevee. I happen to have a DW female Eevee too, so hopefully it'll have it's hidden ability. Good luck as always.
~RaichuArcanine~

Daisymareep

Beware the cuteness
Congrats all the shinies. I fill almost all my boxes with Dunsparce eggs. I wish it shine soon before end of this month.

Bramble

For soft reset shinies, does placing a rubber band on the 3DS to make soft reseting easier hurt the system? It always has the rubber band on the L and R buttons, so does it make those buttons not work by having it for so long if the hunt goes on for a while?

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
For soft reset shinies, does placing a rubber band on the 3DS to make soft reseting easier hurt the system? It always has the rubber band on the L and R buttons, so does it make those buttons not work by having it for so long if the hunt goes on for a while?

My Kyogre hunt went on for almost a month (if not more) and my DS was fine. Also, I used the same DS to hunt for Ho-oh, which took a while as well. It should not hurt it.

As for me, however, I am starting to hate the fact that I chose to do my Eeveelution hunt... I'm trying to get at least 1 more RE Eevee before switching to just MMing the rest. I am over 4,400 Eevees now in Castelia Park with the Shiny Charm and it is taking forever! :'(

Anyways, congrats on all recent shinies! I would have loved to participate in this months CH, but Eevee has my full attention until I get 9 of them. :/