• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Liltwick

Just your Sleepy FIzzy Mod
Congrats on the Shiny Golbat and others that I have missed since I last posted here. Looking forward to getting this Shiny Cyndaquil. Well, current hunt updates

Cyndaquil- 818 SRs.

Celestial Tower- 0 REs

Bleu

Shiny Catcher!
I might try testing my luck in Diamond with the pokeradar or try and finish my Latias hunt which is stuck at 8k RE's in White 2. So many choices. Good luck to all other shiny hunters.

Hubba98

I've been hatching Emolga eggs and going after Latios.

So far I'm up to 740 SR's on Latios and around 100 eggs for Emolga and I have a shiny charm ;p

starrrah

Shine Baby, Shine!
So I decided to join the community hunt and RE for a Petilil!
I have been trying to get a shiny lilligant forever so this is perfect
Well I would be satisfied with any shiny from pinwheel forest but here is hoping it's a petilil

Last edited:

dan2point5

Congrats on shiny Zapdos! I'd love to own the 3 legendary birds one day!

Started a MM hunt for Mudkip today and already hatched 150. Can't wait to own the little purple rascal!

Best of luck everyone.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Still making my way slowly up in terms of RE's for my BQ, and even though I've had this long break, being at 11600 RE's is not a comfortable count to be at, and this is already going over a month long period, which doesn't help. I have collected another set of Feebas, though, and I've begun to alternate between the two hunts. Maybe something will shine soon. Hopefully. :p Meanwhile, good luck everyone!

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Jelicent on Shinx, Wyverndust on Nidoran, Markasdarkas on Bulbasaur, Starrrah on Feebas,WaterTypesFTW on Basculin, Dan2point5 n Bulbasaur, Missingno. Master on Basculin, TheGreatGoomba on Druddigon, X&Y on Golbat and ChaChi on Zapdos!

Started a MM hunt for Mudkip today and already hatched 150. Can't wait to own the little purple rascal!

I guess we're rivals now ;)
Kidding!

Anyways, updates! As mentioned above, and in my signature, I've decided to swap out Nincada for Mudkip for now as my MM hunt, as I had a sudden urge to hunt for Mudkip! Maybe it's a sign I'll get lucky? Either way, Mudkip is a shiny I've wanted a while now, but my plans to SR it failed when my Sapphire battery finally died sometime last year. So I'm taking it on now! I've got 9 boxes to fill, which is 270 eggs, and I'm doing my personal favourite egg method which is filling up my boxes with unhatched eggs and then hatching them all at once. Releasing the non-shinies after is a pain, but I've tried other egg hatching methods and this one just suits me best!
I also have yet to continue my Snivy hunt, and my Virbank Complex hunt will be continued once I either get a shiny Mudkip or simply decide to switch back to RE for a while! But I'm not giving up on Snivy or Growlithe, just taking a small break to do a hunt I'm more motivated for! :3

Good luck everyone on your hunts, and don't forget to have fun!

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Congrats all.

At 8,920 REs now, so I can only hope it shines sometime before 10,000 and isn't ratatta.

Good luck everyone!

HGaddict

<--- Newest Shiny
Well it's been a while since I've posted here, but I haven't gotten anything, so here's a quick update. I am still going strong for Snivy, although it's been a little over a month now and I still haven't been able to play through the game yet. I might cancel the badge quest and just turn it into a nuzlocke after I get Snivy for the first run-through of the game. Also, now that I have Charmander in leaf green (now a charmeleon) I have been hunting in Mt Moon for a shiny. I'm hoping for a zubat or a geodude at this point. I haven't hunted in my soul silver badge quest for some time though. I'll probably pick that back up after Mt Moon shines.

As for congratulations, from now on I will try to congratulate you all individually. I'll start with you ChaChi since you are the only shiny so far on this page, and you have to start somewhere. So congrats ChaChi on Zapdos! Also congrats to anyone who has gotten a shiny since my last post. Hopefully that will be my last blanket congrats. Good luck to everyone still hunting as well :3

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I'm currently SR'ing for a shiny Totodile in Emerald, but the battery's cooked. I can still get a shiny right? I've been SR'ing for like... an hour or so in total.

I also restarted my Ruby to get a shiny Mudkip, who's battery is dried as well. I can get a shiny right or no? Coz I've heard ye can't get shinies in dead inner batteries, nya~

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
I'm currently SR'ing for a shiny Totodile in Emerald, but the battery's cooked. I can still get a shiny right? I've been SR'ing for like... an hour or so in total.

I also restarted my Ruby to get a shiny Mudkip, who's battery is dried as well. I can get a shiny right or no? Coz I've heard ye can't get shinies in dead inner batteries, nya~
Firstly Emerald's RNG(Random Number Generator which determines things like shinyness IV's etc) is broken. What I mean by this is that whenever you start up a file the RNG is in constant unchanging loop which means that's it's very difficult to hit your shiny frame:if you don't have an "early shiny frame" as in you only have to SR say 50 times to get your shiny there's a good chance that the RNG will skip the shiny frame and you will never get your shiny. In normal games the RNG is different at each start up and can produce different frames-whereas in Emerald each start up of the game will only produce the same frames over and over again. Dry battery Sapphire and Ruby work like this as well which is why people generally avoid hunting on Emerald or Ruby/Sapphire with a dry battery unless they know how to get an early shiny frame. I'm sure someone could explain this better than me as I'm not that knowledgeable about RNG. Up to 1,574 RE's for Eevee-hoping to hit 2,000 tonight. Good luck everyone.
~RaichuArcanine~

telivisionhead

I started pokemon white again and I choose tepig so I can trade him into my main game (black 2) to help complete the pokdex. and by surprize I got a SHINY TEPIG
I have now completed the game, battled cheren and found seven sages..... and its now a shiny emboar btw

dan2point5

Just transferred all my shinies over to 1 game now so they're all together. Just counted and I've obtained 51 (69 if I include chained ones too). Pretty happy with that amount to be fair!
If I had to pick a favourite out of them all I'd say either Altaria or Giratina. Both pretty epic shinies!

How many have you guys obtained and which ones are your favourites?

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
^ Well some of my most favorites are Druddigon, Miltank, Breloom and Bisharp but Vespiquen tops them all! Finally getting that shiny female Combee is definitely my most memorable moment in shiny hunting.

I'm now at day 11 for Registeel and its getting kinda difficult to stay motivated but I know it'll eventually shine. Only 4 more legends, I can do this! My hunt at Victory Road is going smoothly though, around 1.9k encounters there and I bet something will shine before Registeel lol. But for now, gratz on the recent shinies everyone and good luck. :]

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Hey everybody. I haven't posted in ages. Congrats on all the many new shinies.

I haven't found anything new since my Kecleon in Ruby. I've been focusing most of my hunting time on shiny Thundurus; I'm now at 11,700 SR for it. I've been hunting it for four months now. I wish it would just hurry up and shine. It's annoying having to sit through all the different 'seasons' screens before each SR, too... >_>

I wouldn't bother SR'ing for that shiny Totodile unless you know that Emerald file has an early shiny frame, otherwise you'd literally be wasting your time, since you'll never get a shiny (I wasted plenty of time SR'ing for a shiny Cyndaquil/Ho-oh before I found out about Emeralds broken RNG).

Your Ruby game's basically become like Emerald now, so you should change files every 50 SR for so until you get a file with an early enough shiny frame (AKA: until you encounter a shiny starter/uncatchable shiny Poochyena).

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
How many have you guys obtained and which ones are your favourites?

I have 11 shinies, all of which are in my signature, and even with such a small number I struggle to pick a favourite! I'd probably have to say Hibiscus my Meganium and Flare my (soon to be) Infernape though. Meganium is just really pretty, I love her shiny colours and the fact I got a female, plus she only took 3-4 days SRing back in 2010. Chimchar is the first shiny I saw and I wanted one for years, and then I got one in 11 SR's so he's also pretty special, and a really nice colour also :3
Drifblim can have an honerable mention too though for being my first hunt and one of my favourite Pokémon in general :D

Hey all,

Still.. hunting lol

Petalburg Woods 2600 RE

Abra 4113(FireRed) + (3848) LeafGreen

Route 32 - 3000 RE

Shroomish - 3660 eggs - really losing inspiration on this one.

Torchic - 6230 SR

Congrats to all new shinies and good luck everyone.

Daisymareep

Beware the cuteness
I am still hunting for my driftloon and random pokemon in lostlorn forest ( really hoping shiny cottonee and no male combee). I lost count but I know I am not over the odd yet.