• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
7,450 Tauros eggs... this is starting to get beyond a joke...

Junichi Masuda - What gives?

Looks like my prediction isn't going to hold up for much longer. Seriously, that thing needs to shine.

So, my 7th BQ hunt is getting some progress now, at 1700 RE's. With the erratic pattern of encounters, I'm curious to see how this will end up, as well as what will shine. Not being able to use my bike is a little irksome, though, so hopefully my doesn't decide to be too cruel. Though I'd prefer my last long hunt to be here than with Giratina, since SR is so much slower. Meanwhile, congrats on the recent shinies, and good luck to everyone, especially TheMaster with that Tauros!

PokemonTrainerKaden

Congrat's on everyone's shines! No update on my Kyurem. I don't count SR, but it'l still be fun when I get him :)

wiccan11

Shiny Collector
First off congrads to everyone for their shinies. Still have no shiny magikarp. So Master I feel your pain. I'm in the 3000 egg range now. I keep cursing myself blaming the new jp Ditto I'm using since I switched out my shiny one.

TheGreatGoomba

TheShinyGoomba
I'm at 8000 RE for shiny Litwick at Celestial Tower. Although I will be taking a break due to me buying MH3U on my WiiU. It will be taking up all of my time for about the next 2 months or so :)

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic
Last edited:

TheEliteEmpoleon

Well after a long time that didn't seem like one, surprisingly, the Virbank Complex decided to give me what I was looking for. He's a shiny Koffing!! I named him Methane after chuggaaconroy's Koffing, and because that's a cool name for it. I'm excited to finally be able to beat Roxie and move on to the main part of Unova.
I don't know where I will hunt next though... Maybe I'll go for Eevee in the park in Castelia, but those are pretty rare.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to ohjeezitskim on Magnemite and blue8arman on Volcarona! Awesome shinies you two. :]

I'm almost at 5k encounters on Route 15 and day freaking 22 on Registeel >.<! I never thought it would take this long and in just a few more days this hunt will become my longest ever. But I guess I can't complain too much, TheMaster327's MM hunt is over 7k eggs! That is some horrible luck and I hope it shines for you soon. Good luck everyone.

Edit - Gratz TheEliteEmpoleon! Koffing is such a nice shiny.

JAWAYami

Shiny Dragon Master
Grats on the Koffing(i saw that LP aswell Chugga's reaction was PRICELESS :p), Magnemite, and Volcarona

Im at 3200 REs at Route 15 and nothing yet(just hope its not over 10k like most of the ones on youtube are..) hoping for Kangaskhan/Marowak/Throh/Watchog(Luminate)...but Kangaskhan the most...would add Pupitar but i have a shiny male Tyranitar sitting on my Diamond atm waiting for me to get another DS to transfer it. My REs would be higher but i found out the internet im using on my Wii lets me play CoD: MWR without lag so been playing that lately...btw so jealous about that WiiU..wanna get 1 + Black OPs 2 but short on $$$ atm :'(

also City Good Luck on your Route 15 Hunt.

oh TheEliteEmpoleon if your gonna go after Eevee in Castelia Park id use Repel Trick...and/or that Encounter++ Pass Power thing(if BW2 still has it or whatever)

Last edited:

Scrufox86

Hello everyone. Congratulations on all shinies gotten since my last post.

I have an update. Well I have started to hatch my 8 boxes full of eggs on white version and so far after half a box no shiny just yet but I am hoping there is one in there somewhere.

Also I am almost at 5000 RE's on route 5 and I have still not found my shiny. I am not far off double the shiny charm odds either. However I know that even with the shiny charm people have gone up to 10K while REing. I just hope I get my route 5 shiny soon I have been hunting there for over a week now as well as MMing (already hatched over 8 boxes on black 2 with no shiny then decided to RE and go back to my 8 boxes of Totodile).

Well congratulations again to all on their shiny luck. Would you mind giving some luck my way I would really appreciate it lol. Good luck to everyone still shiny hunting I hope it shines soon!

Crimson_Blazer

Well after a long time that didn't seem like one, surprisingly, the Virbank Complex decided to give me what I was looking for. He's a shiny Koffing!! I named him Methane after chuggaaconroy's Koffing, and because that's a cool name for it. I'm excited to finally be able to beat Roxie and move on to the main part of Unova.
I don't know where I will hunt next though... Maybe I'll go for Eevee in the park in Castelia, but those are pretty rare.

You could repel trick in the double grass with a level 19 (or 20, not sure) but itll make eevee 100 percent i think

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
7,450 Tauros eggs... this is starting to get beyond a joke...

Junichi Masuda - What gives?

Damn, that thing's taking forever. Are you still using the Ditto I traded you? ... are you sure your Tauros isn't also Japanese, because that's some really bad luck you're having there. XD

I hope it shines for you soon.

I'm now at about 15,200 soft resets for shiny Thundurus. This thing is taking forever too... >_>

Good luck everybody.

ohjeezitskim

Congrats on all the shinies! Especially the Volcarona and Koffing!
My magnemite has eh IVs:
18 - 19
10 - 11
2 - 3
20- 21
16- 17
2 - 3

Right now I'm going for my Litwick again. I'm just over 1440 REs
After that I'm finding more double grass, outside so I can ride my bike! Everything is so slow without it xD
And it's poop that the OP is MIA and I finally completed my first CH twice :c

And i'm sending tons of good luck your way, TheMaster327

(EDIT: So I heard repels don't let shinies appear :( is that true..? totally lame if it is.)

Last edited:

Kyle Clarthy

Hello again! While I have been lurking the thread, I haven't posted for a few days, so there's been a lot of shiny successes in between. So, here we go ... I hope I haven't missed anyone!

A big congrats to Royal_Qeca, CharlieDoryRose, Lunafloon, Cocoadragon, Shiny Supercow, PaddysTurtwigFanClub, Shadowkrow, ohjeezitskim, HGaddict, AquaCharmander, Saminka, Duppy, Laurelai, Rayze Darr, JAWAYami, Master Leo, Bleu, wyverndust, NintendoFan82, blue8arman, and TheEliteEmpoleon!!! That includes all those lucky people with double shinys, too. Whew! I just know that it feels nice to be congratulated by name, so sorry if I did miss anyone ...

Also, it goes without saying, but good luck to everyone hunting as usual. We all need to support each other at times, because let's face it, it can be quite tedious and frustrating at times! I just wanted to say keep going to CrimsonBlazer, The Master327, Starrrah and Helio with their hunts. I know it probably doesn't mean much, but hey ... Tauros will be so worth it, Master.

Is anyone else thinking of doing a badge quest in X/Y or maybe just SR'ing for a shiny starter? I was thinking of doing a BQ in one game, and maybe just going for the shiny starter in the other. It'll probably depend on how long it takes to receive your starter.

Good question. Things might change, but ... here's what I'm thinking at the moment. I'll probably be getting both games, as usual. I'm thinking of SRing for Chespin. I've always wanted a mammalian grass starter, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I also like the idea that hopefully the vast majority of Pokemon will be undiscovered when I'm playing through, and so will the shiny versions, too. So, I'm thinking of trying to do a Badge Quest on whichever game I get a shiny starter on. I hope that Chespin evolves into something cool, however ...

My Espeon remains nickname-less because I cannot think of something good enough. I wanted to name him something with the sun/morning/light but don't like the Greek words. It just doesn't fit him!

Anyone have any ideas for a Shiny Espeon and a Shiny Dratini?

I'll try to help here, but I find that nicknames can also be personal things, so even if it just gives you an idea then it will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Espeon's nicknames could be Sunny, Beamer, Bryton, Solar, Solaris, Morwen, Manana, Heath, Meadow, Argus, Espy. Not all of these are related to light, but there's an idea. You could also do things like go to Thesaurus.com and put in Sunny as a word and see what other things pop up. Also, look up things related to the Pokemon, like sunlight, or ESP, or psychic or fox. Sometimes there's some good inspiration there.

Dratini could be Drake, Scales, Captain, Jett, Swift, Flare, Zoomer, Boomer, Flash, Drakon. Again, there's quite a lot of room for inspiration here. You could compare it to a jet, or to something fast, and it also has Marine links, so you could look at the ocean or sea. Dragons or armour or something courageous. Hopefully this helps!

Any evolution or name suggestions? All are male.

Well, it depends on what evolutions you choose for each one, so maybe let me know what evolutions you choose first and I can try to help, if you want.

On to my news!

I got my next Badge Quest shiny last night, just before 12. I've been hatching a box of Eevee eggs while also encountering in HG. When I finish a box of eggs, I reset HG and try again. I don't really know why, but I just feel a little refreshed when I do so.

This particular time was dragging on a bit, and because it was late, I probably wasn't so quick with my reflexes as I would have been earlier. It didn't look like anything would shine, so I was looking at my laptop while I had the DS balanced on the side of it, near the keys. I hadn't really noticed that it had slid a bit, and then suddenly after I had ran away from a Pokemon and I was about to encounter another one, the DS slipped off and fell onto the bed. I tried to grab it, but because I was leaning on my elbow, it was kind of awkward, so I just reached for the pad and began to press random directions in the vain hope of running into something.

And I did! Even I could see from my position that the Pokemon was different. And it was the one I wanted! That's kind of rare for me with REs, as I usually don't care what I get, but sometimes I hunt something like Pawniard and get those two Minccino instead! And it kind of shocked me, but not in the same way as Nidoran. This time it was more like a, "Is this really happening? This is hilarious." type of feeling.

So, here's some pics!

[img139]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1271/1000880s.jpg[/img139]
1000879gl.jpg

1000881ct.jpg

1000882y.jpg
Edit: You might notice that black line ... lol ... I only just noticed it then, but I realised what it was. I must have accidentally drew on it while I was in Paint reducing the size of the picture. Sorry about that!

I'd been hunting every spare moment since Gemini the Nidoran, so I'm really happy! And I just need one more shiny and then I can stop calling my Lopsided Heart Gold Badge Quest a Lopsided one! This feels awesome. It will be cool to finally finish this.

I'm not sure whether Webby will stick or not ... err, pun not intended there! I mean, Luna is now Gemini, so hey, Webby might change sometime in the future. Not sure at this stage.

It's a bit of a pity all the Pokemon I want to be shiny in HG are usually out at night time instead of during the day, however. It makes it rather limiting.

Anyway, thanks for sticking through my looooong post, as usual! ;)

Seeya soon, hopefully!

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
(EDIT: So I heard repels don't let shinies appear :( is that true..? totally lame if it is.)

I don't know who told you that, but I can assure you that's not true. My most recent BQ shiny was found using repels, so I'm sure of this. Repels do seem to lower the encounter frequency, though.

Meanwhile, I took a break to hatch some Feebas I have in Black 2, though with no luck. I'm only at 300 though, and I'm still focusing on Acuity Lakefront, which is now at 1900 RE's. Now that the weekend is here, though, I hope to get a lot more progress. As usual, congrats to the recent shinies and good luck everyone!

TheMaster327

Damn, that thing's taking forever. Are you still using the Ditto I traded you? ... are you sure your Tauros isn't also Japanese, because that's some really bad luck you're having there. XD

I hope it shines for you soon.

I'm now at about 15,200 soft resets for shiny Thundurus. This thing is taking forever too... >_>

Good luck everybody.

Yes, still using your Ditto... Been switching for better Tauros parent from the horde of unsuccessful ones... Now at 7,520 eggs...

ohjeezitskim

I don't know who told you that, but I can assure you that's not true. My most recent BQ shiny was found using repels, so I'm sure of this. Repels do seem to lower the encounter frequency, though.

Meanwhile, I took a break to hatch some Feebas I have in Black 2, though with no luck. I'm only at 300 though, and I'm still focusing on Acuity Lakefront, which is now at 1900 RE's. Now that the weekend is here, though, I hope to get a lot more progress. As usual, congrats to the recent shinies and good luck everyone!

I was looking up information on the repel trick and like 5 different people were saying it on random sites were saying it! I was like.. what... no, can't be! D:
I'm so happy that's not true though! I know my next hunt c:

Congrats to Zane Clarthy - I love shiny Spinaark!

PolygonalPorygon

<- Current MM Target
Still REing (DANGIT SHINE ALREADY)
Still not near the odds but I'm just impatient. 495 Encounters
Gratz to everyone on their recent shinies and good luck on you shiny tauros, master!

TheEliteEmpoleon

Thanks JAWAYami and Crimson_Blazer for the repel trick advice! I guess it's settled; I'm going for Eevee now (when I actually get up to that point)!

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I caught a Eevee lastnight in the garden, but it wasn't a shiny Eevee. I love shiny Eevees! I have a shiny Eevee on my Soul Silver that I got using the masuda method. It took a while to shiny it wasn't to bad.