• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz on the Starly, Cpchris! I think you should definitely count it as a BQ shiny, just beat the first two gyms to keep it even. Also, if you don't mind me asking, why Ev train your BQ shinies? Its just, I don't think it'd make that much of a difference in the main game and it could save you some time. It could also remove the chance of getting an unintentional shiny but its up to you!

I've started my secret hunt for the greatest pokemon ever! I'm only about 300 encounters in but wait until you guys see it.. It'll blow your mind!

Last edited:

TomoEGoto

Mr. Robot-O
Well, you know how I said my DS's right trigger stopped working?
I was opening the lid as usual and suddenly I heard a pop, at first I thought it was the hinge...
the funny thing was, it was the hinge. Well, I can safely say, after four years, my limited edition DS is permanently decommissioned.
So with that, my dotting mother is loaning me hers (I'm not opting to touch my 3DS until AC:NL is released since I'm paranoid now).

300 eggs for my target.

pokemaster13

Shiny Hunter!
Community Hunt Complete x2!

I couldn't post this yesterday, but I hatched a shiny Cyndaquil! I reached 1,400 Tepig eggs and got bored of seeing the orange pig, so I switched to my old Cyndaquil MM hunt and finally found one! I would have preferred shiny Tepig, although I really like Cyndaquil as well.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/8401/img0113pf.jpg

And as for my future hunts, I have my next two planned out. First I'll be SRing for shiny Uxie, followed by some REs for a shiny Litwick. My Black hunt has now reached almost 13,000 random encounters in the double grass, so I'm not expecting anything from that hunt anytime soon. Congrats on the recent shinies and good luck everyone!

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I've seen that others have had success at getting a shiny starter doing SRs. Hoping that I'll get a shiny Cyndaquil soon, so that I can start a BQ in HG, only at 170 SRs so far.
I'd also like to ask a quick question. I know that you'll see that the starter is shiny before you fight your rival, but will you know it's shiny when it's walking with you. I'm just not sure, I go as far as talking to Elm then checking stats. Am I wasteing my time doing that, please help.
Congrats on all that got shinies and good luck on ongoing hunts.

Cyndajay

Congrats to YNCRN, ohjeezitskim x2, Cpchris x4, wiccan11, ChaChi x14? (you had some good chains), ZaneClarthy, JohnNiles, Jessara, JAWAYami x2, CityofDelusion x2, Laurelai, Thowra, RedJirachi, 201238, Crimson_Blazer, pokemaster13 and any I missed.

I finished my playthrough of White a couple of days ago and as of yesterday I am now dual hunting to reclaim cobalion on both black and white. I gave up on MMing skorupi on Black as it was just taking to long. So instead on my Black 2 I went back to hunting outside reversal mountain in the hopes of getting skorupi there over the weekend. I spent the weekend both REing and MMing skorupi but changed to an RE hunt only yesterday. After 5,096 encounters with the shiny charm. I did not get the skorupi I've been hunting for nearly 2 months now. I got a Grumpig instead. Still happy as its a shiny I don't have. I'm going to continue hunting at reversal mountain for skorupi though.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fire_ice_air/Shiny%20Pokemon/25FDE4BF-DD9F-4F52-98AF-0203CD5123FB-3594-000002CC3FE7F584_zpsa61d56b9.jpg

Good Luck to everyone on your hunts, especially Helio hope that thundurus shines for you soon

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
Had another break from hunting but came back to it this evening because I needed something to keep me awake. Just hit 1030 eggs for shiny Yanma so I'm over the odds now. Kinda annoyed, seeing as this is going to be my last hunted shiny and I just want to get it done. Will do some more later today after I get some rest.

Congrats on the new shinies since my last post. :)

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
I'd also like to ask a quick question. I know that you'll see that the starter is shiny before you fight your rival, but will you know it's shiny when it's walking with you. I'm just not sure, I go as far as talking to Elm then checking stats. Am I wasteing my time doing that, please help.

Have you never seen the thousands of videos of people getting HG/SS shiny staters or even the picture I posted of my Totodile a few posts up o_o!? You can tell if its shiny before you pick it.

Gratz to Crimson_Blazer on Chikorita, pokemaster13 on Cyndaquil, and Cyndajay on Grumpig! Nice work guys.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Crimson_Blazer on Chikorita, pokemaster13 on Cyndaquil, and Cyndajay on Grumpig!

Thanks 201238, JAWAYami, and Cyndajay!

You're kidding, right ? 101 encounters and you already got it ? Well, what a surprise...
If I was you, I would put it in my PC until I get my first badge. But don't bother you saying if it's too soon, if you look like cheating. A shiny is a shiny and I don't think you should hunt again to get another one (maybe another Starly) at the "appropriate moment" just to hit the 10 000 encounters bar. You're just very very very lucky this week and if I was you, I would be very happy. Don't feel weird because you've got another one, be content, you got another shiny without more efforts than that. And it's a very good thing, if you ask me.
Then, Starly is a beautiful shiny. It's a girl, yeah, but I think Staraptor's shiny form looks more feminine a little bit since of that pale blue on the feather of the head.
I don't know why you feel different because you're lucky. It happens to people sometime, and I'm pretty sure you're not the first one to have a second shiny before their first gym in their badge quest (but again, I haven't made a badge quest in my game so I can't say that like if I was playing through one). You decide what you wanna do with it. You won't regret it, so take it as a BQ shiny.

Oh I'm very happy with it for sure :D I'm just so baffled by all this luck! And I'm not really upset by it being female; to be honest, I was kind of half and half on what I wanted its gender to be from the start.

As for counting it as part of my BQ, I think I just need to take some time to think it over. Though at this point, I'm leaning towards counting it towards my BQ.

Gratz on the Starly, Cpchris! I think you should definitely count it as a BQ shiny, just beat the first two gyms to keep it even. Also, if you don't mind me asking, why Ev train your BQ shinies? Its just, I don't think it'd make that much of a difference in the main game and it could save you some time. It could also remove the chance of getting an unintentional shiny but its up to you!

I've started my secret hunt for the greatest pokemon ever! I'm only about 300 encounters in but wait until you guys see it.. It'll blow you're mind!

Thanks! I was thinking about not EV training them either since it's just in game anyways :x (and I don't have any plans to really battle competitively, and their IVs aren't fit for it either). I guess it just makes them seem more personal (tbh, I'm 99% sure I'm not EV training them how I "should" be, so it's more pointless than you first thought!) in a way. I was still thinking about not even bothering with it like you said, especially since the pokemon I want to use to train Piplup are less common >.<

Good luck on your secret hunt, too (greatest ever?! I assume you're hunting an Eevee to evolve into an Umbreon then ;3)!

Video is up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7bOaUY0kZM
Kind of funny, I was thinking "Not really any point in recording this, since it's not likely I'll find a shiny this early on anyways". 51 encounters in today, and boom, there she is. And I had just saved at 50 encounters, so my first one after saving! *still excited*

I went ahead and beat the first gym, since it didn't really matter with what I was training Piplup (now Prinplup) in. And I think I might go ahead and face the second gym. And then after that, I won't have to worry about finding a shiny too early!

Good luck everyone...Especially those of you with unbelievably long hunts >.< (*throws my undeserved luck at those people*)

HGaddict

<--- Newest Shiny
Well, in result of not keeping up with it, I have a pile of congrats to hand out. Sorry for the delay, but here it goes. Congrats to:
*Murkrow on Sunkern, Dangertrout on Growlithe, VicorC on poliwag, gustavo 14 on Feebas, pokemaster13 on Herdier, ChaChi on emolga (if I have that right), Bird of Paradise on Larvesta and Patrat, JohnNiles on Beldum, Crimson_Blazer on Riolu, 2rsa on Eevee, blue8arman on Boldore, -Staryu on Skorupi, bro on solosis, ohjeezitskim on litwick, Cyndajay on Growlithe, Shine on sandshrew, City of Delusion on Fearow, gustavo 14 on sneasel, PaddysTurtwigFanClub on squirtle, J-tech on Shellder, starrah on horsea, Zane Clarthy on pawniard, HootingLilligant on Eevee, *Murkrow on solosis, TheMaster327 on Registeel, ohjeezitskim on petilil, cocoadragon on buizel, ChaChi on Ho-oh, City of Delusion on Chikorita, *Murkrow on Raticate, Cyndajay on mankey, City of Delusion on Chikorita #2, pokemaster13 on totodile, Master Leo on totodile, *Murkrow on Purrloin, Bleu on deerling, Dangertrout on Charmander, City of Delusion on Eevee, 201238 on tentacruel, ohjeezitskim on cyndaquil, City of Delusion on Chikorita #3 (don't worry, it took me three cyndaquil's and four totodiles and then 4 more months past that to get chikorita, and chikorita is my favorite of the three!), Charizardmaster #1 on mareep, cocoadragon on diglet, Kittykitty3308 on Eevee, TheMaster 327 on Taurous (again, MAJOR congrats!), City of Delusion on Absol (You should give me some of your luck XD), Birds of Paradise on venepide, cocoadragon on chikorita, ChaChi on Cressila, Master Leo on Poliwag, 201238 on spearow, Wyverndust on Shinx, YNCRN on Charmander, ohjeezitskim on mareep, Cpchris on patrat, ChaChi on Palkia, Zane Clarthy on Tepig, ohjeezitskim on totodile, Cpchris on koffing, JohnNiles on Feebas, Jessera on chikorita, petrelicious on Kabuto, City of Delusion on Houndour, Laurelai on Eevee, Cpchris on Piplup, City of Delusion on Totodile, Redjarachi on Terrakion, JAWAYami on pawniard, 201238 on Meowth, Cpchris on starly, Crimson_Blazer on chikorita, pokemaster12 on cyndaquil, and Cyndajay on grumpig,

Phew... Sorry about the huge wall of text, but you guys just got so many shinies o_O Shows me to never get behind on congrats again XD Congrats everyone and sorry if I missed you

No new shinies here, but I'm going strong on my hunts. I've been busy with school so I haven't been able to post lately though. I'm hoping to hurry and push through Beldum to finish the CH though

Good luck on all your hunts! Especially Heliotrope. It'll come soon! Just keep on going

Master Leo

The Dark Side
Have you never seen the thousands of videos of people getting HG/SS shiny staters or even the picture I posted of my Totodile a few posts up o_o!? You can tell if its shiny before you pick it.

lol ikr

Stil no shinies to report since I decided to take the day off from shiny hunting (slacker). Tomorrow I plan to hunt in LG really hard and maybe I'll get lucky :p.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain

Gratz to Crimson_Blazer on Chikorita, pokemaster13 on Cyndaquil, and Cyndajay on Grumpig! Nice work guys.

Yeah I don't do a lot online. Thanks for letting me know, so I'll be looking into that stuff.

My hunt for shiny Sawk is going slowly, only at 525 MMs now. I'm not entirely motivated in this hunt mostly focused on getting shiny starter in HG right now.
Congrats on the recent shinies and good luck on all ongoing hunts.

Last edited:

congratulations to everyone since my last post.
just updating that i started to hunt my favorite pokemon. YES. it will take a loooooooooong time i know, so, my shine-in-anime quest will probably slow down.

Anyway, good luck to ya'll!!

dan2point5

Many congrats on recent shinies guys! There's been quite a few in last few days and would take me a while to mention them all and my short term memory is bad enough as it is haha.

So far my MM hunt for the remaining starters I need is ticking over at a steady rate. I'm currently at 990 eggs hatched but nothing has shone yet. Got 30 left to hatch before I start stocking again.

Best of luck everyone.

Scrufox86

OK firstly congratulations to all shinies since my last post. It has been a while because I have been really trying to get a shiny for this months CH. I have so far hatched between white and black 2 over 2000 eggs with no shiny. On black 2 I have been MMing Totodile only but on white I have been mixing it up between Squirtle and other starters (mainly Bulbasaur to complete my kanto trio). It seems like months have passed since I got my RE shiny Gothita at the start of the month.

Well I have another 3 boxes of Totodile and Squirtle left to go through. I am doing the method of getting three brand new eggs from daycare man and taking two from the box as this has worked before for me. I hope something shines soon... not long left till the month is up and I really wanted to get my MM shiny by then.

Edit - Oh my.... Oh my..... Oh my.... I finally have it! YES! After 2060 eggs I finally have my shiny Totodile! And it is FEMALE too! Another shiny female starter wow! I am so glad I can now move on to something else... and now I can say for this month..... Community hunt complete!

Last edited:

ohjeezitskim

Haven't posted congrats in a while, so if I'm missing someone, I do apologize xD

Congrats to City of Delusion on Eevee/Houndour/Totodile/Chikorita, 201238 on tentacruel, Charizardmaster #1 on mareep, cocoadragon on diglet, Kittykitty3308 on Eevee, City of Delusion on Abdsol, Birds of Paradise on venepide, cocoadragon on chikorita, ChaChi on Cressila/Palkia, Master Leo on Poliwag, Dangertrout on Charmander, 201238 on spearow, Wyverndust on Shinx, YNCRN on Charmander, Cpchris on patrat/piplup/starley/Koffing, , Redjarachi on Terrakion, JAWAYami on pawniard, 201238 on Meowth, Crimson_Blazer on chikorita, pokemaster12 on cyndaquil, Cyndajay on grumpig, Zane Clarthy on Tepig, JohnNiles on Feebas, Jessera on chikorita, petrelicious on Kabuto, and Laurelai on Eevee!

As for me, I started SRing for Braviary yesterday and got to 230... :| I was hoping it would be fast for some reason xD.
I decided I wasn't going to go for DW Riolu yet, and just MM feebas. Might start today. I've ran around in Giant Chasm, up to 1,403 encounters. And that's about it for me, I'm slowing down with shiny hunting it seems. Might want to start a badge quest soon, but I don't know if I want to restart my Black 2, that I JUST finished or my White version.

-Question- I saved in front of Braviary yesterday, didn't do anything else so my save point today was back in that spot and braviary is still there. It's tuesday and I never altered my DS' time. Does that normally happen?

Yes, its normal. As long as you don't leave the area it'll stay there. Good luck!

Okay! Thanks! That's excellent news then xD

Last edited:

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Wow guys!

Congrats to Cpchris, Redjarachi, JAWAYami, Crimson_Blazer, pokemaster12, Zane Clarthy, JohnNiles, petrelicious, and Laurelai! (Sorry if I missed any one!)

I guess I can give away my next hunt - I'm MMing for a shiny Shellder and REALLY hoping it has Skill Link as its ability. My moveset is kind of dependent on it, but II'll enjoy it either way.

I'm at 200 eggs hatched and am still collecting eggs to move up to 300. I'm hatching and checking IV's as I go as my male Shellder has a 1 in Special Attack right now, which I'm kinda bummed about, but I won't be using any Special Attacks anyways, so...

Good luck to everyone!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
-Question- I saved in front of Braviary yesterday, didn't do anything else so my save point today was back in that spot and braviary is still there. It's tuesday and I never altered my DS' time. Does that normally happen?

Yes, its normal. As long as you don't leave the area it'll stay there. Good luck!

@Cpchris - Your luck is crazy right now O_O! Gratz!

Last edited:

I love turtwig!!!

Shiny collector
I'm MMing for a shiny tepig. 600 eggs(been hatching since last year, i like to stop for a little while then start back up after it's been a while) but nothing yet. On soulsilver 5-10 eggs from my swampert and an on accident shiny mudkip. One egg from my hydreigon and an on accident shiny deino. Almost 200 eggs for a shiny shroomish but nothing yet.

Good luck to all those shiny hunters out there!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Thanks HGaddict and ohjeezitskim!

I did it again.

Shiny Machop

Ugh, I didn't even want Machop T_T I was just trying to train...I should have just gone back to Route 203 for Shinx >.< Oh well, it's a shiny. And at least it's male...I normally don't care about genders of shinies I'm not after, but obvious ones like Machop or Abra...Yeah...

Also, I made sure to beat the second gym so in case of another shiny ("Ok, but that's *really* not going to happen this time"... >_>), so this one's certainly official (whoops haven't caught it yet). Wasn't recording, either, so it's not live but that hardly matters.

But yeah, I was thinking yesterday how I'd feel about finding a shiny Machop, and how it'd be kind of annoying to get that instead of something I like (I still have Prinplup and Starly though, so I can't complain!), and I looked up Machop's shiny color so I would remember what to notice. And sure enough, I'm training and it's sliding across the screen..."That's brown, isn't it......."

Ok I caught it. This was after 470 encounters total into the game, 269 REs since Starly. 169th encounter of today. And this now marks 4 days in a row of finding a shiny >.< 5th shiny in a week now.

Ok, Platinum, I love getting shinies, but can you settle down for just a bit until I get all caught up? Then you can be my best friend again. Luck, go to the people who actually need it >.<

EDIT: Forgot to put its stats here...Lv. 6, Gentle nature, Often dozes off, 25//15//9//9//9//10, IVs: 26//15//8//6//6//20

EDIT 2: Good call yesterday, City...But I didn't listen ;_;

Last edited: