• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Congrats too: TheMaster327 on Uxie, Maldoror on Piloswine, Ampharos_Spark on her second Boldore, Blue Shuckle on Shuckle, Scrufox86 on Shroomish, Cpchris on his second Shiny Koffing, cocoadragon on Chinchou, ohjeezitskim on Pawniard, Markasdarkas on Lapras and VictorC on Magikarp! I haven't hunted myself since Wednesday since I needed more study time for my exams which are on for the next two weeks, although I did manage to get my brother to do SR's for Squirtle for me and count them: I'm on 5,300 SR's for that now. I'm taking a break from study since I've been going hard all week(classes have been nothing but revision and I've been studying in all my five classes each hour, in tute, at recess and lunch and for 2+ hours at home) until Monday, since I have Monday and Tuesday off as I have no exams then. So, I'm going to be going very hard for Eevee! I should be able to get up to 13,000 RE's for it: I wonder if it'll shine? Good luck as always guys!
~RaichuArcanine~

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I think I'm somewhere between 1,200 and 1,400 REs for Unown. Next time I randomly decide to RE something, I'll actually make an attempt to keep accurate count. This time, I started while I was away from home and didn't bother to count, and now it's too late to get any sort of accurate count.

Still no shiny. But I'm not leaving these ruins without one

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Community Hunt Complete! sorry for posting this a week later but for my birthday on the 22nd, the pokemon gods shined their love down upon me and I hatched a shiny magikarp. :) b-day magic ftw!
Congrats on all the recent shinies, especially markasdarkas on his lapras that took 2 months to MM.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a7...es/ResizedImage_1369970459026_zpsa56771ad.jpg

Oh, so lucky, the base evolution of my favorite shiny ! I really should try to get one.
How many times it took ? Was it long to box and hatcg eggs of Magikarp ? Was it difficult ? Did you have fun doing this one ? I really want to know if it worth me to try !
Congratulations to the latest shinies and good luck to everyone !

Dangertrout

Update on the CH starting tomorrow: I'm HOPING to post the list tonight at midnight EDT (GMT-4)
Apologies if it ends up being late, I have my uncle's funeral today and I'm not quite sure how long I'll be kidnapped by family for it.

Also, I won't be able to update the list today, so sorry to anyone who finishes the current hunt in its final hours >.<

zozo

SLIMED!
Wow... I'm still in utter shock...

First off, congrats to all the hunters I've missed on their new shinies, and best of luck on the new community hunt! I do hope I'll be able to join you guys.

And second... Well, I've been training up a mono-poison team for a challenge my friend made, and as I was training it, I was reminded of how much I love shiny Weezing. So, I decided that after I bred and trained my team, I'd use my good Weezing and try to MM myself a good shiny version. To that end, I figured I'd use the GTS and try to get a foreign female Weezing to get the highest possible chance of eggs as well as the increased shiny odds. After being disappointed in the lack of female Weezings looking for legal trades, I decided to put one of my Dream Radar Porygons that I can't use and don't want on offer and see if I could get a foreign one by chance. Then I forgot all about it for a few days, until I was reminded about it this morning at work. After the first part of my shift was over, I came home and checked the GTS. In all honesty, I didn't expect anyone to give me a female Weezing for my Porygon, so I was pleasantly surprised when the screen took a long time to load, indicating that the trade had indeed happened.

Then the Weezing appeared, and my jaw dropped. And stayed dropped for a good thirty seconds.
img0888zl.jpg

A magnificent sea green gasbag with clouds of purple swirling around the main body. Level 100, Bold nature, fairly decent competitive moveset. I couldn't believe it. I checked it out with the stat judge in Nimbasa city. It's flawless, probably RNG'd or maybe Pokechecked (I'm guessing Pokecheck is more likely). I checked out the EVs with Bianca and apparently it's not maxed out its EVs, but it's "worked hard" (whatever that means) on HP and Defense.

I'm still in shock. I've never been given a shiny over the GTS. I think either someone really hated this Weezing and just wanted to get rid of it, or possibly a younger sibling/idiot friend started messing with someone's cartridge. It's hard to imagine someone wanting a Porygon THAT badly.

But whatever. Wherever this thing came from and however it ended up being traded to me, I'm really happy about this girl! :D A shiny I've wanted for ages and it came to me in the most unexpected way. Not too shabby! ^_^

Last edited:

maldoror

First off, congrats to all the hunters I've missed on their new shinies, and best of luck on the new community hunt! I do hope I'll be able to join you guys.

And second... Well, I've been training up a mono-poison team for a challenge my friend made, and as I was training it, I was reminded of how much I love shiny Weezing. So, I decided that after I bred and trained my team, I'd use my good Weezing and try to MM myself a good shiny version. To that end, I figured I'd use the GTS and try to get a foreign female Weezing to get the highest possible chance of eggs as well as the increased shiny odds. After being disappointed in the lack of female Weezings looking for legal trades, I decided to put one of my Dream Radar Porygons that I can't use and don't want on offer and see if I could get a foreign one by chance. Then I forgot all about it for a few days, until I was reminded about it this morning at work. After the first part of my shift was over, I came home and checked the GTS. In all honesty, I didn't expect anyone to give me a female Weezing for my Porygon, so I was pleasantly surprised when the screen took a long time to load, indicating that the trade had indeed happened.

Then the Weezing appeared, and my jaw dropped. And stayed dropped for a good thirty seconds.
img0888zl.jpg

A magnificent sea green gasbag with clouds of purple swirling around the main body. Level 100, Bold nature, fairly decent competitive moveset. I couldn't believe it. I checked it out with the stat judge in Nimbasa city. It's flawless, probably RNG'd or maybe Pokechecked (I'm guessing Pokecheck is more likely). I checked out the EVs with Bianca and apparently it's not maxed out its EVs, but it's "worked hard" (whatever that means) on HP and Defense.

I'm still in shock. I've never been given a shiny over the GTS. I think either someone really hated this Weezing and just wanted to get rid of it, or possibly a younger sibling/idiot friend started messing with someone's cartridge. It's hard to imagine someone wanting a Porygon THAT badly.

But whatever. Wherever this thing came from and however it ended up being traded to me, I'm really happy about this girl! :D A shiny I've wanted for ages and it came to me in the most unexpected way. Not too shabby! ^_^

I had a similar incident when looking for a female turtwig to MM. I logged into the GTS and had that same pause and thought "well, now I can get started breeding" and the thing popped up as a level 5 shiny female. It passed the smell test (right location, stats were correct, etc), so I can only assume it was someone's clone.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me

img0888zl.jpg

If its from Pokecheck its RNG abused most likely. There's no real way to tell though, upload it to Pokecheck and see if it matches another poke on there. Pokecheck will also tell you its legal.
But there's no difference between a "hunted" shiny and a "RNGed" shiny.

Last edited:

VictorC

Oh, so lucky, the base evolution of my favorite shiny ! I really should try to get one.
How many times it took ? Was it long to box and hatcg eggs of Magikarp ? Was it difficult ? Did you have fun doing this one ? I really want to know if it worth me to try !
Congratulations to the latest shinies and good luck to everyone !

the karp eggs hatch very quickly actually. i could barely get a full party of eggs before they started hatching, so i just hatched them as i got them. I had a lot of fun with this hunt. i really wanted to get a shiny gyarados with my OT that wasn't the event shiny from gen 4. Was hoping for the DW ability moxie but didn't get it. I am not upset tho cause he has 31 IVs in speed :D if you really want a shiny gyarados i reccomend getting one, it's worth it! :)

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
If its from Pokecheck its RNG abused most likely. There's no real way to tell though, upload it to Pokecheck and see if it matches another poke on there. Pokecheck will also tell you its legal.
But there's no difference between a "hunted" shiny and a "RNGed" shiny.

In a literal sense, no, but there is that satisfaction from the kind of effort it takes to find a "hunted" shiny. That's why shiny hunters are hunters and not RNG'ers, most often. RNG definitely takes great effort to master, but again, it's the type of effort hunters like.

As for my hunt, which is now at 2500 SR's, I've got to thinking about what kind of ball I should try to catch Mewtwo in, when it decides to shine. So I've decided to ask? What would fit best with shiny Mewtwo?

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
Hi~! I'm so thrilled about the community challenge next month~! I cannot believe it so one day away~!
Good luck to everyone on there hunts, and participation in the June shinenge challange~! Lets see some sparkles fly~*
Anyway, Congratiez on the recent shinies, and good luck to all~!

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
In a literal sense, no, but there is that satisfaction from the kind of effort it takes to find a "hunted" shiny. That's why shiny hunters are hunters and not RNG'ers, most often. RNG definitely takes great effort to master, but again, it's the type of effort hunters like.

As for my hunt, which is now at 2500 SR's, I've got to thinking about what kind of ball I should try to catch Mewtwo in, when it decides to shine. So I've decided to ask? What would fit best with shiny Mewtwo?
Hmm... Well personally, I think a Dusk Ball would look very nice. :)

And I was wondering since I must have missed something, what is the community challenge this month?

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
I wish I could participate in the next CH but My exam is getting closer and closer. I'll be hunting for Deino but it'll be a slow hunt. Right now I'm @ 180 eggs.
Anyways, Congratz on the recent shinies and good luck. ^-^

Cyberra

pain in the ***
*whoops and does a happy dance* HUNT COMPLETE! 117 REs into Day 4 of the Shiny Unown Hunt and THIS pops up!

Bold nature, Atk 36, Def 30, Sp. Atk 35, Sp. Def 28, Speed 25. Levitate ability.

I was leading with my Gyarados, since it's only lvl 22 and still knows the move Tackle, which can bring down a shiny's HP in a couple whacks without worrying about accidentally KO-ing it. Three whacks and one great ball and Unown X is ALL MINE!!!

*saves three times, just in case*

Edit: how does one post an actual picture here, and not just a link?

Last edited:

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
*whoops and does a happy dance* HUNT COMPLETE! 117 REs into Day 4 of the Shiny Unown Hunt and THIS pops up!

Bold nature, Atk 36, Def 30, Sp. Atk 35, Sp. Def 28, Speed 25. Levitate ability.

I was leading with my Gyarados, since it's only lvl 22 and still knows the move Tackle, which can bring down a shiny's HP in a couple whacks without worrying about accidentally KO-ing it. Three whacks and one great ball and Unown X is ALL MINE!!!

Congrats! Nice Unown :)

To post an actual picture, you need to make an account on a picture-hosting site, like Photobucket or Snapfish. Upload your pictures to that site, and then put the URL of the picture in between
tags. Then your picture should show up as a picture and not a link. Sites like that also usually have IMG tag links for all of your photos that you can just copy.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I have a Photobucket account, and I have been using the IMG tag link. It still just shows as a URL and not a picture ;_;

VictorC

I highly recommend hunting with a breeloom. It can learn spore which is 100% sleep move and false swipe will never take a pokemons last HP. It also has high speed stats so it generally moves first. Make sure it has poison heal instead of effect spore tho. You don't want any other status ailments preventing you from sleeping the shiny.

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
The IMG tag here is weird. It's [IMG139] for some reason.

ChaoticInverse

<--31,000 incounting
Hey guess, I just got my third HG badge quest shiny!

At 1,788 encounters I encountered a shiny nidoran female, she's bold natured and nicknamed "Tova". I was half hoping, half dreading for a growlithe but Nidoran is pretty great too. I'm just happy it shone so quickly!

Congrats on all the new shinies and good luck with everyone's hunts!

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Congrats, ChaoticInverse, on your third badge on your badge quest!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'll try that, then, Frost Mage...

THERE we go! :D Introducing my Shiny Unown, X-form!

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture091_zpsf4313cf9.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Picture095_zps0075b6a8.jpg[/IMG139]