• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Trainer10913

The Ninja
Congrats Cyberra on that Roggenrola! The blueness is something to behold on a Gigalith. :D Well, I'm currently on 165 eggs for the Solosis, I sincerely hope it doesn't take as long as yours Cyberra!

Sealotic

Congratulation for the latest Shinies ! (especially Cyberra!)
I forgot to post two days ago when I was hunting in the giant chasm where a Shiny Metang appeared after 1396 RE's !
It went very well and it finally was an easy catch even if it has a 3 catch rate !
Docile nature, neutral nature, always good and... IV that are not so good, not so bad.

Now, I think I'll be MMing for that Drought Vulpix since I already done 150 eggs.
If Cyberra can do it, can I ?

Good luck for your hunts !

Growlie19

Well, no new shinies from me yet, other than the Dialga event. I'm currently hunting on Route 5, aiming for a Minccino, but I'll take anything since I haven't gotten a shiny last month. Good luck, shiny hunters!

TheRoaringShinies

Shiny Hunter
Wow, only 2 days into the month, and already... COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE! After 7154 RE's in the Lostlorn Forest hunting for a venipede/whirlipede, a shiny swadloon has appeared in my black 2 version! Today is actually my 15th birthday, so this is a nice surprise! It has a bold nature, so it's going to stay a swadloon. For my next hunt I will MM emolga, and after that I'll probably head back to Lostlorn to try my luck on getting a venipede/whirlipede again. Congratz to everyone who got a shiny since my last post (especially Cyberra on finally getting that roggenrola!), and good luck to everyone!

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
So, i'm new to shiny hunting, do certain pokemon have a better chance of showing up shiny?

With the exceptions of Garented Shiny Pokémon, no Pokémon has a better chance to be shiny.

The Prize for completing the Pokédex in BW2, the Shiny Charm, will boost your chances. As with Breeding two Pokémon of Different Languages.

Drakonekoshi

Congrats to anyone who got a shiny recently! ( especially Cyberra and Frost Mage! )

I'm back to say...I still don't have a shiny Lugia, I haven't been soft resetting much due to boredom of this, and this hunt started on August 9th and refuses to end...Uuugggh

In the meantime I got my shiny Dialga at Gamestop and I'm also trying at a shiny Totodile yet again, over 100 eggs, nothing yet.

Norway

<[¨~¨]>
I got a random shiny seviper 3 days ago right before i went to sleep.

And then i found a random shiny cubchoo when i wake up later that day.
2 shinies in 2 days! Not bad

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Yeah Cyberra, I'm so happy for you after such an unfairly long hunt! Gigalith is an amazing shiny, good job.

Soulink

Just got around to hatching eggs and got two shiny eevee. Not only that but a shiny naive natured chimchar, who has four maxed iv's along with a base 70 hidden power ice! Also hatched a shiny sneasel with max iv's in attack hp and speed. It's a shame she can't use her hidden power grass though.

Last edited:

xKatie0391

Congrats to Cyberra with Roggenrola, TheRoaringShinies with Swadloon, Norway with Seviper and Cubchoo, and Frost Mage for reclaiming Latios. And congrats to anyone else I haven't mentioned ^^

I've been switching around between my Latias, Mudkip and Eevee hunts to mix things up a bit. No luck on any of them so far. I'd like one of them to shine before I start college, especially Latias, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Good luck to anyone still waiting on their shinies too. Hopefully we'll all get some soon :)

Congrats to Cyberra ^_^

I'm hatcihng my next batch of 250 eggs right now putting me at 1000 eggs for my favorite shiny Pokemon. Dratini with DW ability. Hope I get soon. But i did get 2-3 Very near flawless dratinis with DW so it has been worth it. my 31/31/29/0/31/31 Jolly Dratini will be a nice, but I still want that shiny.

maldoror

Holy CRAP!! Funny enough, as I was doing my homework and after only 354 soft resets, my black 2 badge quest is under way with a shiny Oshawott!!!!!!!!!!!! By far my quickest sr shiny. It has a quirky nature so has neutral stats which I am ok with. On to the next one. I will probably be heading to floccesy ranch for step 2, but i expect a long hunt to make up for this quick one. Congrats on all the recent shinies and good luck on current hunts.

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
Well, I stopped hunting for Braviary in White 2 earlier today and decided to RE for a shiny instead. I was originally hunting in the desert, but the slow encounters made me stop. I decided that I was going to hunt in Virbank Complex for anything(using the shiny charm). To my complete and utter shock:

Only a mere eight REs into the hunt, shiny Magnemite appeared :D. I couldn't quite believe my eyes, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, until I saw the sparkles(people on the chat I was on freaked out with me xD). Quite easy to capture, caught it in a critical capture Quick Ball.

Shiny Magnemite
Bold nature

This has been my fastest shiny charm hunt since my 21 SR shiny Kyurem back in January, so I have a feeling I'm in for a long haul.

I'm going to keep hunting in Virbank Complex, I'm already up to 782 REs since shiny Magnemite. Hopefully I won't get another one, I already have two, once from my Black 2 Badge Quest and now this one. I foresee plenty of Magnemite scares in my future :p.

Congrats on new shinies everyone, haven't been here in a while, so sorry for the blanket congrats, way too many shinies to list :p.

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
First of all, congratulations to IndigoTribesman, Ceecee-typhlosion, elorasheppard, Kanima, Frost Mage (I'm glad you reclaimed Latios!), banjonator1, Cyberra, City Of Delusion, TheRoaringShinies, Norway, Soulink, maldoror, BackInClack and Storm_Dragoon!

I fill my PC boxes before I start hatching.

I hatch this way too, it just works best for me and how I choose to hunt. It seems to work fine, since I've hatched over 3000 eggs with this method, even if 1 has been shiny so far heh >3<

Anyways! I have some shiny news, but it's no where near as exciting as everyone elses, for a very specific reason...
I don't know how RNG abuse is taken here, so I'll make this quick! But the other day I decided, since my Sapphire battery is dead and I can never legit SR for Mudkip like I planned to do before it died, I figured just for fun I'd try my hand at RNG abuse for the first (and probably last) time.

So, meet Nero! He's male, relaxed nature but I picked out a decent set of IV's for him (21/30/24/27/23/27). I realise he is not as special as my other shinies, but I love him all the same and plan to have a lot of fun using him throughout my Sapphire playthrough! So I hope it's okay to mention him at least ^~^

Picture ~

(Ignore the name, I plan to change it, but the boyfriend gave me a temporary name so I could save. I hate not using nicknames!)

Anyways, as for my other hunts, Sandile is going well, a bit slow due to life problems and such, but I plan to finish this BQ even if Platinum and SoulSilver aren't going so well...
My Victory Road hunt for Banette or Golurk is going good too! I'm considering moving to Floccessy Ranch so I can try for Mareep, in case the Mega-Evolutions have shiny formes, I looove Mega-Ampharos! But I might give it till 5000 RE's first and then move, in case I get something!

Sandile, Yamask and Golurk all count towards the Community Hunt, so I guess you can say I'm taking part too! I'd love to try and get Woobat though as City of Delusion did, since I adore shiny Swoobat. I may wait though since Woobat is one of my badge quest hunts (number 5!)

Anywho, good luck everyone! It's good to be back, I hope I can stick around this time :3

Edit:
If you want to "legit SR" even though you have a dead battery, you could do the same as what people do to SR for shiny starters in Emerald.
Start a save file, do 20-30 SRs, and if you don't find a shiny, restart your save file and do the same thing over and over.
Eventually, a shiny frame will make its way to the start of the list and you will be able to hit that frame by SRing.

I have heard of the "do a few SR and restart" method, but I'm just not sure if I can be bothered, to be blunt! I'm happy egg hatching for Mudkip (I'm already 660 in) and hoping a Hoenn remake comes out fairly soon. But thank you anyways! Going through the naming screen and all the starting dialogue just sounds really tedious, especially if it takes a lot of SR's to get a shiny.

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone on their recent shinies!

I decided to take a break from Cobalion since it was labor day weekend and I got to see my family, but starting tomorrow I'm going to start SR for him again. Hoping he'll shine soon, then I'll start to MM for shiny Eevee. Good luck on your hunts everyone :).

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
Oh my god, two shinies in one day!

After 941 REs, this shiny Elekid appeared in White 2! I was trying to get to 1000 REs before bed, when I saw the brighter yellow body, followed by sparkles! I was so scared that I'd kill it so I kept switching my Pokemon out until my Watchog put the shiny to sleep so I could faint the other one. Easily caught her in a Heal Ball. She has a Rash nature.

Shiny Elekid
Rash nature

Going to definitely keep hunting in this area, hoping Patrat or Koffing pops up next!

Spawty

Claimed Golduck!
Today was a day off from school, so I had some extra time to do... anything. Decided to chain what the swarming pokemon was today, Voltorb. While my brother was playing Ni No Kuni (pretty awesome game if you enjoy Dragon Quest) on the ps3, I managed to build a chain to 40 and unlike my other chains, the shiny patches shone pretty early. In a matter of fifteen minutes, four shiny patches shone before I accidentally walked one space when my repels ran out and broke my chain. Their natures and other stuff are in the spoiler below if you're bored/interested :)
[IMG300]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/MustardGravy/Snapshot_20130902_zpsafde763e.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/MustardGravy/Snapshot_20130902_2_zps91e57de2.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/MustardGravy/Snapshot_20130902_3_zps6d6b9eaf.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/MustardGravy/Snapshot_20130902_5_zps001d431d.jpg[/IMG300]

I'm gonna evolve the first voltorb, the mild one, into an electrode. The natures could've been better, but it doesn't matter since I'm not a competitive player. After all, they're all still shiny.

[IMG300]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/MustardGravy/Snapshot_20130902_7_zpsd6fed282.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/MustardGravy/Snapshot_20130902_8_zps7a11f5ef.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/MustardGravy/Snapshot_20130902_9_zps8bf350ed.jpg[/IMG300] [IMG300]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/MustardGravy/Snapshot_20130902_10_zps412dd0e6.jpg[/IMG300]

As for the mini Staryu hunt, I'm now at 300 eggs. I've just been busy lately, and MMing isn't really my thing.

Right now,I'm saving up to buy a black 3DS XL. The 2DS looks uncomfortable to hold and I can see myself being clumsy and breaking it, but it is an option to consider...
Also, I'm figuring out what store, in the U.S. , to pre order X from. I know that each store has it's own little pre order bonus, such as Target and its frail pins and Gamestop and its posters, but I'm curious as to Wal-Mart and Toys 'R Us has to offer.

Congrats to those that got a shiny recently and good luck to those that are trying to get one!

Last edited:

Soulink

Have a lot to do in diamond since it's really the only game aside from HG that I play. Also got another shiny eevee with timid nature. Good luck to everyone and their shiny hunts.