• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Scrufox86

Wow so many shinies since my last post here. Well sorry but I will have to do another blanket congratulations to all shinies since my last post.

Ok so update on my shiny hunts. Nothng on W2 yet i have three more boxes of Turtwig left and 2 piplup boxes to go. On black 2 i hatched all 8 boxes and even got new ones form daycare man and no shiny poliwag so what i have just recently finished doing is collected 4 boxes of poliwag again and 4 shuckle boxes and i have put volbeat in the daycare with a ditto to possibly get a surprise shiny. What i am going to do is get two or three volbeat/illumise eggs and then the rest from the boxes and see if i get lucky that way. Black 2 hasn't given me a shiny since Totodile back at the end of July so it is about time it gave me a shiny.

Good luck to all still hunting.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Also, seeing a lot of people completing the Community Hunt lately....so what actually is it? I thought I'd be able to work it out from the shinies but I can't see a pattern lol.

As for me, I'm now up to 14,900 REs on HG and 900 eggs on White. Really hope something shines soon but I have a feeling they'll both be long hunts.....oh well.

The CH is Farewell Unova! You can obtain any shiny 5th Gen Pokemon. This only counts Pokemon that were introduced in the 5th Gen, so that you can't hunt for anything other than Unova Pokemon in BW2.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to cuchifru on Magnemite, Polarix on Slowpoke, *Murkrow on Venipede, Master Leo on Castform, Wyverndust on Eevee and Sandile and Zorua, Growlie19 on Minccino, Automail_Junkie on Latias, Crimson_Blazer on Skarmory, Sealotic on Machoke, and Growlie19 on Bouffalant!

Thanks for the congrats, Wyverndust and ohjeezitskim!

---------------------------------------

Welp…After 4,233 REs…
Ah, why say it. I think you all know what I’m about to say >.<
(Says it anyways) Shiny Magby. Around 10:30 pm…I noticed it right away, and while I was naturally excited to see a shiny, I was kind of let down that it was Magby again. Three Magbies is one thing, since I can get different evolutions out of them all which is cool, but a fourth is somewhat useless at this point…Maybe I’ll trade it to X and Y or something just to have a shiny on there, but I doubt it :x Male, Strongly defiant, Timid, and IVs are: 12—1—12—24—27—26. All things considered, I guess for a Magmar or Magmortar, the high speed and sp. Atk IVs are good, and the timid nature ups speed and lowers attack…Though I’ll never really use it >_>

It was on my 233rd RE for today. At the very least, it could have been a Magnemite, since that’s 25% too =\ And I realize Magby is one of the most common in the complex (granted, only at 25%), but aren’t the odds kind of NOT in my favor to get another Magby?

At least it wasn’t over the odds, especially if it was just going to be a Magby. Well, after 7 months and 49,116 REs, on to Phase 9 of this horrid Growlithe hunt…Hm…I don’t know if I like Growlithe as much as I did before I started this hunt ;p

Oh, I found it while watching Underdog’s stream, but TheRoaringShinies was the only one who seemed to notice :p (Thanks!)

As for my other hunts…

WAIT. BEFORE THAT. I found pokerus tonight! My growlithe caught it tonight, and I’ve been checking every night before I close out my games, even though Bulbapedia and other people have said you need to actually engage in battle to catch it, and not just go into an encounter…Well, I haven’t battled a single pokemon, and my Magby was caught on the first pokeball (and I had checked right after I caught it, he didn’t have it), so it wasn’t from him, either. So let me just say that SO MANY PEOPLE ARE WRONG. Battling isn’t necessary to catch pokerus! My Growlithe has no PP missing and is level 30 (so he can run away from everything just fine ), so I’m positive I didn’t even accidentally battle something. Actually, after posting this, I considered that maybe intimidate could count as battling to catch pokerus (still trying to find out)...But if that's the case, then WTF. I can find a Growlithe with Pokerus but not a shiny Growlithe?!

But why couldn’t it have been a shiny Growlithe instead >.< Ah well, at least I’ve noticed it before it goes away unlike last time…Though my game had just passed midnight when I noticed it (12:01), so I got lucky with a strain of it that takes longer to stop being contagious…I was hoping I’d find it again on Black 2, since even though I have it saved from SoulSilver, it felt more legitimate not having to get it back by trading from SS.

Ok, now for my other hunts. I’ll make it quick since this is now a very long post. 22,900 REs on Platinum, 100 REs on Black 2, 1,400 SRs on HeartGold.

Good luck, everyone!

EDIT:
Just a small update for me. 1674 REs and 565 eggs, no shinies yet. Was kind of hoping for a shiny today, but my game doesn't seem to care how my day goes :p
Can't decide on a target for MM, any suggestions?

Scyther, maybe? Scizor has a pretty nice shiny sprite IMO, and Scyther is otherwise fairly difficult to find through RE, being 5% in the few areas of 4th gen save for one of the routes where it's 15% during the morning. The only other option it looks like would be to SR for it at the game corner in FireRed. So given the difficulty of finding it any other way, it seems like a good target for an MM hunt.

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Just a small update for me. 1674 REs and 565 eggs, no shinies yet. Was kind of hoping for a shiny today, but my game doesn't seem to care how my day goes :p

Monek_OP

bernie2016
I'm beginning my search for my new shiny Zubat now, wish me luck! (It'll be my first shiny after getting my data back!)

Go for a Glameow! They look like Purrloins - its kinda funny.

rosso

DEAD ACCOUNT
A few months back i randomly stumbled upon a shiny Machoke in Victory Road while EV training and got it, been meaning to level it up. Also a little earlier i had gotten a shiny Drifloon from a friend.

Currently MMing for a shiny Ralts, gots a box chalk full of eggs, just need to hatch em.

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
Firstly I want to congratulate everyone on their recent shinies. I wish everyone luck on their shines Especially Monek_OP for his zubat (Crobat looks epic).
As for me I did not get a smeargle yet. 800 RE so far.
But I got two shiny floatzels via pokeradar (Timid and Naive).
Sadly I cant upload pictures as my SD card reader on my PC broke down.(Hope I will repair it soon)

YNCRN

Egg 125!
Hey guys!

First off, congrats to Master Leo, Wyverndust, Growlie19, Automail_Junkie, Crimson_Blazer, Sealotic, and Growlie19 on your recent shinies! Awesome work! Special shout out to Frost Mage who trained up their Latios without using Pokerus - for some reason or another that little smiley ALWAYS bothers me. I don't use Pokerus at all when I train because I don't want the left over smiley...

Good news - my White 2 cartridge seems to be pretty thankful to have gotten its shiny charm.

After only 125 eggs, a male shiny Squirtle hatched!! Only one more Kanto starter before I have all three!

[img139]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m597/dansbphotobucket/ShinySquirtle_zpsab863d52.jpg[/img139]

Here's a video of the little guy hatching!

And of course, my sig has been updated.

Now, to start on Bulbasaur or try and hatch someone else...

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Go for a Glameow! They look like Purrloins - its kinda funny.

That might not be a bad idea, but I think I should MM something 5th gen so I can participate in the CH for now.
Maybe I'll MM Purrloin and try to nab a female. Nothing could possibly go wrong.... :p

Technically, I'm supposed to be recovering for one more week, but I decided to go back to school & work. So less pokemon time for me.
I'll have plenty of time to hunt later. Turns out I have cancer, so I have at least one more surgery ahead of me, with the same 3-4 week recovery time.
Not sure if I have any treatments after that, I only find that out next week.

Anyways, good luck on all your hunts.
I'll be updating the OP weekly, so if your name isn't up there right away don't worry. I'll get to it soon as I can

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
Last edited:

Scrufox86

Oh wow!!! Sorry for the double post but I finally hatched my shiny poliwag!! She unfortunately did not hatch with DW ability so I think I will keep her unevolved for now. I still have two boxes of poliwag to hatch and as others have found out sometimes another shiny is lurking in there and I hope there is but with DW ability for Politoed. This beauty may end up Poliwrath or maybe i'll just keep her as a trophy. Well black 2 finally gave me a shiny since the end of July. I am hatching Lunatone eggs along with poliwag ones now. And I have 4 boxes of shuckle to hatch as well.

On white 2 I am on my last 5 Turtwig eggs and then I have two boxes of Piplup eggs to hatch. I have hatched 12 boxes with no shiny... grrr I know it isn't a guarantee but 12 boxes shinyless... and more than 12 boxes really because I've been getting two/three eggs and then getting more from the daycare man so it works out as more eggs hatched but I have lost track of exact amount. I am sure I have hatched near to 600ish though.

Oh congratulations to all who recently got shinies and good luck to all still hunting. I best hurry and hatch Snivy and Oshawott for the CH (or maybe another 5th gen pokemon).

TheRoaringShinies

Shiny Hunter
Sorry to do this again, but congratz on all the shinies since my last post!!

Oh, I found it while watching Underdog’s stream, but TheRoaringShinies was the only one who seemed to notice :p (Thanks!)
No problem! :) Hopefully you'll finally get that growlithe next!

As for my hunts, I'm now at 3800 SRs for Azelf and 1400 REs for Chansey. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Been on a nostalgia kick lately, and was playing Platinum (I know, I know, not -that- old), and when I was in that area near a cave north of Oreburgh city, I ran into my first ever -real- wild shiny, with knowledge it WAS a shiny. I ran into an orange Zigzagoon once, playing Pokemon Ruby, but was on auto pilot... killed it... thought of it being orange didn't occur to me till /after/ *DREAD* But yes! I caught my first ever shiny, a Machop! I need to get a screencap of it :B Anywho this machop has inspired me to go shiny-hunting in my Black 2.

Dunno what goal I have, I pretty much have a goal of "Find a shiny, cherrish it." Maybe find a shiny Zigzagoon in memory of the one I killed :< (I didn't know what shinies were back then)

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Thesurfing Snivy, YNCRN on Squirtle, Scrufox86 on Poliwag, and ChintzySnail on Machop!

Well, if that stuff is true, which I’m sort of hoping it’s not even though it’s on Serebii, then now I don’t know who to pick as a starter >.< Fennekin’s evolution looks kinda meh…I mean, it looks like it’s wearing a skirt, so what if I ended up with a male since starters are more likely to be male? And why is there a…A stick? Coming out of its tail? Did it get stabbed? Shouldn’t it be in a pokecenter then?

My second choice would have been Chespin, but…I don’t even need to explain this one, do I?

And finally, Froakie, who appears to have the best middle evolution…And it’s not too bad looking in general. Not anything great, but…

So now what?! I can only hope the final evolutions look a lot better, especially for Fennekin. While I liked Turtwig and Torterra, and Piplup and Empoleon, I wasn’t quite as fond of Grotle and Prinplup, so maybe it’s just another case where the middle evolution just doesn’t look very good but the first and third stages look good.

Not sure about this new Mewtwo form. Maybe it’s just the pose it’s in that it looks kind of dumb, because I think it looks significantly more awesome in the in-game pic right next to it.

Garchomp’s new form kind of weirds me out. The sickle appendages are kind of neat, but that face…I don’t know, is it because it looks way too humanoid or something? If not, I don’t know, but I just cannot get over the creepy head.

And as far as the new pokemon go…Don’t really care for the dog, but that male cat one looks kind of neat. The female…Eh, could care less. But the male looks alright. The fossils…They’re kind of meh. It’ll probably depend on their evolutions.

So now ultimately, I don’t know if I’ll even have the motivation to SR for a shiny starter o_O It’d be neat to have one though, but if the evolutions are crap…

Technically, I'm supposed to be recovering for one more week, but I decided to go back to school & work. So less pokemon time for me.
I'll have plenty of time to hunt later. Turns out I have cancer, so I have at least one more surgery ahead of me, with the same 3-4 week recovery time.
Not sure if I have any treatments after that, I only find that out next week.

Sorry to hear the news =\ Hope the surgery goes well! How long away is it?

I got Pokérus from just running around aimlessly in the grass of Route 2 to find N's Purrloin. My lead Pokémon did not have any kind of ability that automatically activated at the start of a battle.
Pokérus is spread from simply engaging in a battle, which is easily verified by having one Pokémon with the Pokérus in your party, then repeatedly encountering Pokémon + running away immediately. Pokérus will spread even though there was no moves used.

Well I know I don’t need to battle to spread it, but to actually catch it in the wild from a wild pokemon, everyone seems to say you need to actually engage in battle. And if you mean you caught it in the wild while on Route 2, the only thing I would question is if perhaps you got it from a Herdier or Stoutland, as they also have intimidate, and that could be similar to an intimidate Growlithe giving it to me =\ My lead Growlithe had Flash Fire, not intimidate (don’t want to have to deal with that activating on every encounter), so I’m wondering if it was a wild Growlithe who had intimidate that gave it to my pokemon…That is, if everyone is correct about needing to battle to catch it (how do they verify that, exactly?).

------------------------

600 REs and 500 SRs today, so 23,500 REs on Platinum, 700 REs on Black 2, and 1,900 SRs on HeartGold.

And I realized tonight that I’ve been incredibly stupid on the papers that I use to record how many REs I do each day…One of the numbers I record on each line is how many total in-game encounters I’ve done. On Platinum, this number has been in the 20k-30ks on this sheet of paper. Tonight, I was thinking how it seemed kind of low. Then I realized that being on a 23k+ phase of the hunt after a 17k+ hunt, that number was impossibly low. For some reason, when I started the new sheet, I’d written down the wrong number…How I didn’t realize that sooner is mind-boggling. And so I went back on all 5 pages and corrected each day’s number…

And while doing so, I found out I’d also written Machop’s number down wrong. I don’t know how I managed to mess up such simple math, but it was actually after 369 REs, not 269…So I’ll have to fix all of that on my shiny cards ;_;

Then I got confused again when I realized how close my number of total Platinum encounters was only 10k REs off of my Black 2 encounters, even though I’d been hunting on Black 2 for months longer…But thanks to checking back on Serebii, I was reminded that I took some time to focus on Platinum and then SRed Chimchar for a bit while I had the second copy of Platinum. So yay, nothing was wrong!

That was my excitement for the night. *shrugs* Since I’ve finished rewatching Korra (prepared for Friday night!), I might just work on that Magby video tonight, though…Ugh, a 4th video for Magby! What’s the point?! (That explains why I didn’t even put it up the same day I got it…)

Good luck, everyone :)

Last edited:

Dangertrout

I wont know anything until Monday. Shouldn't be nearly as long this time around though, hurrah!

As for me, I've passed the 2K mark in REs. I may even go over the odds tonight! *dramatic music*
Maybe I broke my shiny charm again. Poor thing, all battered from constant use... :p

Last edited:

Sara Hysaro

Congratulations to YNCRN, Shadowkrow, Polarix, Cpchris (on the Totodile; hope Growlithe shows up soon!), TheMaster327, gustavo14, Coltron S, Heliotrope, dan2point5, Thesurfing Snivy, Volcanic Typhlosion, BackinClack, Laurelai, pokemaster13 (kinda), IndigoTribesman, cuchifru, Storm_Dragoon (kinda), PaddysTurtwigFanClub, maldoror, City of Delusion, Shiny Lord, Hells Envoy, ChaChi, *Murkrow, Master Leo, Wyverndust, Growlie19, Automail_Junkie, Crimson_Blazer, Sealotic, Scrufox86, ChintzySnail,

Well, I've hit 21,250 REs on Route 2 and still no shiny yet. Getting a bit irritating now, especially since Lillipup doesn't look dramatically different from the normal form so I keep worrying that I'll miss it when/if it pops up. That and I'd like to head off to Wellspring Cave soon.

Well, if that stuff is true, which I’m sort of hoping it’s not even though it’s on Serebii, then now I don’t know who to pick as a starter >.< Fennekin’s evolution looks kinda meh…I mean, it looks like it’s wearing a skirt, so what if I ended up with a male since starters are more likely to be male? And why is there a…A stick? Coming out of its tail? Did it get stabbed? Shouldn’t it be in a pokecenter then?

My second choice would have been Chespin, but…I don’t even need to explain this one, do I?

And finally, Froakie, who appears to have the best middle evolution…And it’s not too bad looking in general. Not anything great, but…

So now what?! I can only hope the final evolutions look a lot better, especially for Fennekin. While I liked Turtwig and Torterra, and Piplup and Empoleon, I wasn’t quite as fond of Grotle and Prinplup, so maybe it’s just another case where the middle evolution just doesn’t look very good but the first and third stages look good.

So now ultimately, I don’t know if I’ll even have the motivation to SR for a shiny starter o_O It’d be neat to have one though, but if the evolutions are crap…

I'm sure Chespin will look fine in its final form. :) I think that it's just in a shell right now, and it'll come out of it or grow more into it with the final evolution. I have no doubts whatsoever that it'll look good. It definitely won't be to everybody's liking, but its reception will be more positive than negative. That's the feeling I'm getting regarding it.

As for Fennekin...I'm a bit sad it's not a quadruped anymore, but apart from that I think it's okay. The stick probably won't be staying in its tail, and if the fur is supposed to resemble clothing I think it'll look more like a robe. Will it still look feminine? Maybe. That said, it is a Pokémon so it doesn't really matter. Even male Gardevoir isn't a problem when you look at its egg group - the appearance of cross dressing is the least troubling thing about it even if you're bothered by that sort of thing! :p But that's just my opinion, and everyone has a different one. Hope the final evolution looks nice to you!

Froakie worries me. It looks great now, but I don't think its final form will be quite as good. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Egg count: 1,480

Shiny count: 0

I've gone over the odds for a shiny charm-less MM hunt for the first time in my pursuit of this shiny. I'm hoping to get a shiny within the next couple thousand eggs and this won't turn into another long haul like Roggenrola did. Fingers crossed! The pass power I keep activating from tagging my Japanese Black is certainly helping... Hatching these eggs would take twice as long without it.

Last edited:

elorasheppard

Congrats to Sealotic, Growlie19, cpchris (sort of.....), YNCRN and Scrufox. Dangertrout sorry to hear about your diagnosis but stay positive!

Welp, no shiny news yet (that bumper weekend at the start of the month may have started a drought.....) but Im up to 1357 eggs for weedle so odds on my white and about 500REs in route 3 on my black 2. I've been practising triple hunting now that I have 3 consoles but Im not very good at it yet X)

I really want a shiny purloin Ive decided so I think Ill be stuck in route 3 for a while! Good luck on your hunts, only 30 days til XY!

I'm a lil bit late in posting this cause I have been having technical issues (which have now been fixed) but after 2,408 encounters in virbank complex my first choice shiny appeared!

I couldn't think of a name at the time of the capture but now I've thought of one and I'll leave and change it after I get a shiny magnemite. I've decided to name him Terry because I live near Morgan Territory (in California) where there has been a 3k+ acre fire going on and I thought it was interesting that I'd get the fire type at the same time, sooo..Territory...Terry..XD. He also has 28 Ivs in HP and 27 Ivs in Special Attack, for which I'll EV train :).