• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

iKarlCPFC

This CF is so annoying, I'm listening to the sound rather than watching the picture and It still beats me.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Just got another Shiny!

Less than 24 hours after Shiny Magikarp using CF, I have encountered and caught a Shiny Lampent in the Friend Safari!

It was NOT the one I wanted (Stupid Phantump), but oh well, a Shiny's a Shiny!

Probably not going to evolve it though!

Congratulations on all of the other Shinies!

Back off to hunt for Shiny Phantump!

Gricely

Not the most exciting shiny to report but yet another shiny though friend safari (shiny Krabby) whilst catching my Protean Froggies. Still I daresay I would NEVER have trained a Kingler otherwise and though I wouldn't use him competitively my first in-game shinies are always special to me.

Gonna have to try that consecutive fishing thing though... I'd prefer a shiny 6th gen poke

StoneyPikachu

The Highest Trainer
Grats on everyone's shiny pokemon! Still haven't got my first yet in x y.

I am using a Spanish golem male to try and get a shiny honedge and I am on alittle more than egg number 150. Spanish pokemon can be used for masuda method right?

iKarlCPFC

Just managed to get a shiny Clawitzer!! :D

NymArya

Grats on everyone's shiny pokemon! Still haven't got my first yet in x y.

I am using a Spanish golem male to try and get a shiny honedge and I am on alittle more than egg number 150. Spanish pokemon can be used for masuda method right?

yes, you can use a Spanish pkm as long as your region isn't european.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Tnew fishing method isn't going well for me. Does Illuminte work just as well as Suction Cups?

Yahazugiri7

My first shiny in y was a gothita which defeated because it was almost like a reqular gothita and i couldn't tell the difference at first glance.Today i found my second shiny in y which is a foongus.I found it while hunting a shiny trevenant

trident20

ground types
if anyone wants to chain a machoke throh or breloom, i have them in my safari, friend code in my sig

im gonna try to fish chain a clauncher, wish me luck

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
with CF on chain 55 I found a shiny female horsey. Will continue because I want either male skrelp or male horsey for my team ;-p

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Chain 90, male shiny horsey. Will be going for male skrelp though ;p Want at least one usefull 6th gen shiny

Edit: Chain broke at 93 ;-( Will be switching to a new spot.

Edit2: Apparently chain automatic breaks when you catch a Pokémon. So I got horsey at chain 55 and another one at 35.

Last edited:
My odds are suddenly in my favour. I just found my second shiny in 2 days- Mime Jr. Unlike Tuscany, this Mime Jr was in a Horde Battle, and only took a single Great Ball to capture. I nicknamed him Skyflyer in lack of a better nickname.

Skyflyer is Timid, with the ability Soundproof. He was caught at level 11. Hilariously, both he and Tuscany were caught in caves- my lucky area?

My theory is that tipping actually does do something. Only once have I failed to tip, and suddenly, my horrifying shiny luck has massively improved? Something's going on there.

Last thing- where can I upload pictures to post?

Last edited:

JBW777

Managed to find a shiny trevenant just going through the game normally the other day. I'm unable to post a pic though /:

ubernoobNTH

Mutant NinjaSquirtle
Don't have a picture currently, but was just going through some of the random Safaris I added (I check every couple days to see if someone has completed the game/unlocked the 3rd PKMN slot in their safari) and lo and behold... 2nd encounter is a shiny Kakuna. I also had a Shiny Basculin kill itself with Take Down on me earlier today when I was trying the chain thing (it was around #46 in the chain.)

My shinies so far are now Munchlax (MM'd), Ducklett (PokeRadar) and Kakuna (RE Safari.) Nothing great, but still... SHINIES!

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Arrrgggghhhhhhhh, so excited! Finally got a CF shiny!

After trying all last night and having no luck, I went to bed feeling sad and extremely jealous of everybody else's gorgeous shinies. I didn't want to spend too long CFing as I still haven't gotten to the Elite Four and would like to get to the Friend Safari at some point so I promised myself I'd only give it a couple more goes this morning before I move on with the story line. The first few chains ended because there were no Pokemon biting, which was annoying, so I told myself I could at least try until a chain broke because of me rather than the game. Then out of nowhere, Shiny Barboach appeared! I was so excited I closed the window I was using to count but it wasn't far in, must've been under 20.

After that I was all excited and decided to go straight to another route to try and find another. I actually made it to 71 pokemon this time, which is my personal record, but alas, the chain eventually broke because no pokemon were biting. Still, I'm ecstatic with my Shiny Barboach as I've never really had a Whiscash before and I love them. It has a Relaxed nature which Smogon doesn't think is very good but I'm fine with because, as Whiscash are quite slow anyway, I'm happy to just forget the speed and bulk it up defensively. It also has surprisingly good IVs. According to serebii IV calculator it's around 10/31/27/29/5/21! Of course, I wish the Speed and Sp. Def stats were the other way around but I'm not too bothered as Whiscash has great typing anyway and a 31 and 29 in Attack and Sp. Attack is great! Not sure how I'm going to make it part of my team yet as I already have Ground and Water covered and I don't really want to get rid of my starter, Greninja.....but we'll see.

Anyways, pics!

Shiny Trevenant

Don't have a picture currently, but was just going through some of the random Safaris I added (I check every couple days to see if someone has completed the game/unlocked the 3rd PKMN slot in their safari) and lo and behold... 2nd encounter is a shiny Kakuna. I also had a Shiny Basculin kill itself with Take Down on me earlier today when I was trying the chain thing (it was around #46 in the chain.)

My shinies so far are now Munchlax (MM'd), Ducklett (PokeRadar) and Kakuna (RE Safari.) Nothing great, but still... SHINIES!
The third pokemon has nothing to do with the elite 4, you have to be online at the same time for the third to start appearing.