• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Tnew fishing method isn't going well for me. Does Illuminte work just as well as Suction Cups?

You have to use Suction Cups, illuminate just increases encounter rate, which is only good for running/surfing around.

ubernoobNTH

Mutant NinjaSquirtle
The third pokemon has nothing to do with the elite 4, you have to be online at the same time for the third to start appearing.

I was under the impression that the 3rd appeared after the person beat the game and then when they're online is when you can find the pokemon that have their hidden ability.

Interesting. Sorry if I gave out wrong info.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
Yikes…I’m even more turned off from Gen 6 hunting than I was before, with more and more ways of finding 10 shinies in a day >.< Can anyone explain why they even ruined shinies? I mean what was the point of doing that to something so good? I know people have brought up that it will discourage hacking but…Aren’t people still going to hack for good IVs and then just make them shiny while they’re at it anyways?

I know everyone (“everyone”) is enjoying this shiny blast now, but…I feel like in time, once everyone has 100 shinies before the end of the year, they won’t even be that special anymore. And I’m sure hunting on non-Gen 6 games will get the same “but why?” remarks as anyone who hunts for a legit Gyarados/Haxorus/Dialga/Palkia/Giratina/etc., which has always bothered me…

Oh well, I’ll be sticking to my usual games even tighter now, and bracing myself for the incoming “D00d you could just get that in an hour in X/Y” remarks in due time…

And so I did 400 REs today. 38,500 REs on Platinum now, so I’m getting somewhat close to hitting 5x the odds (40,960 REs). Black 2 is back to an early 400 REs, and HeartGold is slowly making its way up there at 3,400 REs. I’ve been hunting Gastly on HeartGold once it’s night and I can no longer hunt Sentret and Pidgey, but part of me hopes it isn’t the one to shine simply because I really need that Sentret and then Pidgey >_>

Also…Tomorrow marks 1 year since I found my first shiny! That was such an exciting moment ^_^ I’d been watching shiny pokemon videos since the summer, getting myself hyped for when I would officially start shiny hunting once I beat Black 2…It was night, and I was EV training my Umbreon for my in-game team at Celestial Tower, and I was looking at my laptop screen while going into my next encounter…When all of a sudden, I heard the sparkle sound! For a split-second, I was confused as to what video I still had open that would have made the sound, but then I realized I didn’t have any videos open and that it must have come from my own game! I looked down and saw a shiny Litwick with a nice bright blue flame and amazing bright green eyes. Certainly not my favorite pokemon or line of pokemon, but it’s still an awesome shiny, so I was really pleased with it. Ah, shiny memories ;)

Anyways…Good luck, everyone!

Not all of us have gotten Shinies left and right on X and Y yet. I hit just over 600 eggs, and my Swirlix have yet to show it's Shiny butt to me.
It is nice to finally see so many people getting shiny Pokemon. Because people always hacked them in to get the best of the best. However, from what I have heard, it is near impossible to hack into a 3DS game to get their perfect Shiny Pokemon at the moment.

I'm not convinced that we had the Shiny encounter rate raised. Why, you ask?
The Friend Safari must have some type of Shiny odds, I will say that...ether that or the fact that the Player finishing the game [the person who owns the Safari] might have something to do with it, or maybe people are just so darn lucky.
Then we have the radar and Fishing Chain. ...Uh, it is just like Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. You still have to WORK for your shiny, and one wrong move could cause the chain to break.

So many people are finally able to get their very first shiny, and in my case, I'll get my first hunted Shiny soon enough...if Swirlix wants to show it's shiny BUTT to me.
As Earth Wolf-Howl mentioned, maybe the tipping might have something to do with it as well. I mean, seriously...why would someone put in something in a game where you just WAIST money.

And people are still hunting in other games, too. I mean, how ELSE are we going to get a Shiny Lugia, Ho-Oh, and the other starters at the moment? I mean, yeah sure, once December comes, people will trade over their Pokemon and hunt on X and Y...but from what I am getting with my own hunt...MMing is the same as before. Long. I mean, yeah...people have gotten a shiny by the first 100, but not all the time is luck going to be on a hunter's side. [again, just look at me. ANY DAY NOW, SWIRLIX!] And that still doesn't help our other legendary "problem." No where in the game can you get a Lugia, or a Ho-Oh, or a Kyogre, Uxie...the list still goes on.
And then you have the badge quests, which I still want to do someday.

Hunting in other games is far from done. And yes, Shiny Pokemon may be a little easier to find, they are still rare...and people are going to get bored with fishing up the same old Pokemon over and over again. It is just a faze, and it'll slow down. After all, some Trainers are going to need to stop hunting and start training. I know I am going to need to stop sooner or later to get my own Deck ready for Reginals in a few months. ;3 some people are going to enter Reginals VG Tournaments to show off their Shines. And that means EV Training.
But, you believe in what you want to. I cannot change your opinion.

...Whoops...I ranted in a place where Ranting...doesn't normally happen. ^^; So sorry about that fellow Hunters. Good luck Fishing...hunting. I'm off hatching eggs...
Congrats to all Shiny Pokemon.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
The third pokemon has nothing to do with the elite 4, you have to be online at the same time for the third to start appearing.

...Uh...yeah it does. I remember reading on Serebii that the third Pokemon have to do with the person beating the game.
My sister hasn't been playing the game for three days...and I still have three Pokemon on her end. Along with all these other Safaris.

And my friend was on, who haven't beaten the game yet, only had two Pokemon in her Safari.

Shiny Trevenant

...Uh...yeah it does. I remember reading on Serebii that the third Pokemon have to do with the person beating the game.
My sister hasn't been playing the game for three days...and I still have three Pokemon on her end. Along with all these other Safaris.

And my friend was on, who haven't beaten the game yet, only had two Pokemon in her Safari.
Well the page has it wrong then, because I just tested this last night. If there is a pokeball in the slot, you've been on at the same time you just have not encountered it. If there is not a poke ball you just haven't been on at the same time, it has nothing to do with the elite 4.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Chain 97 and my chain broke... I WILL GET YOU DREGALGE! But not now..

Sito

Shiny Breeder
Ok, so yesterday i tried the chain fishing, first try, got to 66, and i broke it because i pressed a too fast, next, got to 106, broke randomly ><, next, on my 25th, SHINY DRAGALGE!!! :D, so awesome, and the other funny thing, as i was writting this, a Shiny Poliwhirl appeared, LOVING SHINY FISHING!!!!

Ok, for me even getting 3 shinys in a day, it means this way is very easy :D, now got a Poliwag

Last edited:

Pandaman4

Hello everyone, i just got Moltres and trying to trade it for a shinny. I havent had the best of luck when it comes to shinnys, id like to own one my self. Everytime
i encounter one something stupid happens. If anyone wants to trade a shinny for my Moltres or Mewtwo let me know!

PS the only shnny i have is a goldbat, wrong nature.. :(

redphoenix

Just caught male shiny skrelp lonely nature! It was caught on the 57th reel. I can't believe how fast it was. Everyone needs to try this :) two shinies in two days ( I caught my dream shiny liepard last night!)

trident20

ground types
for some reason i cant chain in safaris
it say now is not the time to use the pokeradar. :|

also for fishing chaining...do you need to kill the poke everytime?

Last edited:
just got my 8 shiny... a skrelp

Shiny Trevenant

for some reason i cant chain in safaris
it say now is not the time to use the pokeradar. :|

If they made it possible to chain in friend safari it would be way to easy to get the rarer shinies.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Well the page has it wrong then, because I just tested this last night. If there is a pokeball in the slot, you've been on at the same time you just have not encountered it. If there is not a poke ball you just haven't been on at the same time, it has nothing to do with the elite 4.

Nope. I've been online at the same time as some of the people in my friend safari and they still only have two pokemon available. Mostly likely because they haven't beat the game yet.

Shiny Barbaracle still eludes me.. =[

Thundorz

Magma Maestro
Got a shiny Corsola with a chain of 8 :D Gonna try for a Seaking now.

Yesterday was my first time trying out consecutive fishing for shiny Pokémon. I figured it would be like Poké Radar chaining, and that I would produce no results...

I held to that belief until I found a shiny Dragalge on my 28th Pokémon in the chain. I am still way too happy to even believe it.

And then, at about 5:00 AM this morning, I found a shiny Alomomola on my 114th Pokémon in the chain.

Counting the shiny Spoink that my friend gave me, I now have three shiny Pokémon in my Pokémon Y Version. I will post pictures later when my 3DS actually has battery life. At that time, I will also begin fishing for a shiny Poliwhirl, Basculin, or Dragonair... I honestly don't mind which one I get. They're shiny Pokémon, after all.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
EV training my Shiny Barboach atm. Need to add him to my shiny card but need a new icon for Chain Fishing now.... :S

In any case, my thoughts on shiny hunting:
There haven't been that many random shinies in the game, especially considering there are so many people playing at the moment, so I'd also be willing to bet the usual shiny rates either haven't changed or haven't changed very much. Chain Fishing is obviously a thing however, when you compare it to chaining in Gen 4 with the Pokeradar, it's not that bigger deal. I'm not sure if the encounter rate is the same or not BUT, with Gen 4 you could control which pokemon you got and if you carried on you had the chance to get multiple shinies (which I personally always thought was a bit ridiculous). BOTH of these things don't happen with CF so overall, I don't think it's that bad. Not to mention that I CFed for about 8 or 9 hours and only caught one CF pokemon (though that's probably just a combination of bad luck and me being rubbish).

So yes, it is easier, but I don't think it's that bad when compared with chaining in Gen 4. Plus, it's also just for fishing pokemon, not ALL pokemon.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
Nope. I've been online at the same time as some of the people in my friend safari and they still only have two pokemon available. Mostly likely because they haven't beat the game yet.

Shiny Barbaracle still eludes me.. =[

Same here. I am not on via Internet on the game, which means everyone is not on for me; but my sister has three pokemon, a Poison safari has 3 Pokemon, a Ghost safari has 3, and a water safari has 3 Pokemon. ;3 And my Pokemon internet is off.
But who really cares about that...
I really don't want to hatch anymore eggs...they are getting overly annoying to hatch. And for what, nothing every 95 eggs? I'm wondering if I can chain Swirlix? *goes to check* Oh man...this is finicky...OH MY GOSH, I CAN! 8D I am happy!!

UHG! Never mind...
I went into the GTS...and <i>saw</i> a shiny...but they were asking for a Pokemon that was 91 or higher....lovely. >.<
...Well...back to the original...I'm going to hatch more eggs.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Got my BQ #5 shiny... Yes it's a fish chain, so sue me, but there isn't that many new places to hunt before Gym 5... Anyway, after 7 Fish Encounters I get this...

[spoil][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/Snapshot_20131022_3_zpsbe2798f2.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/Snapshot_20131022_4_zps9221c351.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/Snapshot_20131022_5_zps297fbb05.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/Snapshot_20131022_6_zps7b33cb05.jpg[/img139][/spoil]

Naïve nature, proud of its power.

IVs: 16 - 19 / 30 / 0 - 3 / 16 - 19 / 18 - 21 / 4 - 7

Workable IVs...

I promise I'll end with three RE/SR hunts (If Xerneas can be hunted)

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Alright I just made a Pokémon Y Consecutive Fishing Shiny Hit List. I already got a shiny carvana, sharpedo and gyarados on my black 2 file so I added them to the list. (The spoiler in my signature.) This is a fun thing to do if you are bored. I'm going to start hunting on the Poli family!