• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Shiny Trevenant

Nope. I've been online at the same time as some of the people in my friend safari and they still only have two pokemon available. Mostly likely because they haven't beat the game yet.

Shiny Barbaracle still eludes me.. =[

Guys think about what you are saying, if the person has not beaten the elite 4 how would they have access to the friend safari in the first place? I asked about this in the help thread and 3 or 4 different people gave me the same answer, it has nothing to do with the elite 4 it has to do with who's online.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Guys think about what you are saying, if the person has not beaten the elite 4 how would they have access to the friend safari in the first place? I asked about this in the help thread and 3 or 4 different people gave me the same answer, it has nothing to do with the elite 4 it has to do with who's online.

Ah, I think I see where you're confused. I haven't used the Friend Safari myself yet but based on what Serebii says, it's whether or not your FRIEND has beaten the Elite Four, not you. So if you beat the Elite Four, get to the Friend Safari, and go to the Safari of a friend who is behind you and still hasn't beaten the Elite Four, there will be two pokemon. If your friend has ALSO beaten the Elite Four, then there will be three. And then Hidden Abilities, is based on whether BOTH your friend and you are online or not (after all, if you weren't online you wouldn't be able to tell if they were online or not).

EDIT: Rereading your comment, maybe you did just literally mean, 'if the friend hasn't beaten the elite four how can they get to the friend safari?' I don't think it matters whether they themselves can get to the friend safari though. I haven't beaten the Elite Four yet but my friends can still access my area in THEIR Friend Safaris.

Last edited:

Mays

I know it probably gets annoying when people ask, but how much does the chance of a shiny improve when breeding a foreign Pokemon with a native Pokemon? (ie: jap ditto with english honedge)

Just got the oval charm so I'm thinking of trying the Masuda method.

Shiny Trevenant

Ah, I think I see where you're confused. I haven't used the Friend Safari myself yet but based on what Serebii says, it's whether or not your FRIEND has beaten the Elite Four, not you. So if you beat the Elite Four, get to the Friend Safari, and go to the Safari of a friend who is behind you and still hasn't beaten the Elite Four, there will be two pokemon. If your friend has ALSO beaten the Elite Four, then there will be three. And then Hidden Abilities, is based on whether BOTH your friend and you are online or not (after all, if you weren't online you wouldn't be able to tell if they were online or not).
Okay answer this then, what if someone has 2 different games on the same ds, how would that work? As I said earlier, that page isn't accurate unfortunately.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I know it probably gets annoying when people ask, but how much does the chance of a shiny improve when breeding a foreign Pokemon with a native Pokemon? (ie: jap ditto with english honedge)

Just got the oval charm so I'm thinking of trying the Masuda method.

The Masuda Method increases the chance of finding a shiny from 1/8192 to 1/1365. Whether or not this has changed in Gen VI is unknown, but with the success people have had with MMing in X and Y, it doesn't seem to have changed.

Shiny Trevenant

It uses the 3DS friend code so the safaris are the same regardless of the game played. The third pokemon is unlocked if the other player has beaten the E4.

I'm not saying anything about the types changing, what I'm saying is what if the person has 2 different games where they've beaten the e4 on one but not the other? If it was truly just going off the e4 how would it read that, because there is only 1 friend code but 2 different games.

Hazmiter

I kept encountering charmeleon in safari, by the 15th one i got annoyed......... Then the shiny one appeared........ So shiny charizard ftw!!!!
However its the only shiny i have encountered in game apart from a trade helping gig to boost the dex, shiny dusclops/ dusknoir in my dex now :)
Im trying for a shiny houndour at some stage..... Just need to trade for one.... (I can catch but i want to try Masuda method or whatever its called)

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
I'm not saying anything about the types changing, what I'm saying is what if the person has 2 different games where they've beaten the e4 on one but not the other? If it was truly just going off the e4 how would it read that, because there is only 1 friend code but 2 different games.

......I have no idea. Interesting.

Maybe as soon as you defeat the Elite Four in one it unlocks the third Pokemon fot your friends, even if you haven't beaten the Elite Four in your other game? I think that would make most sense, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone in that position. Everything else I've heard seems to fit with the whole Elite Four> 3 Pokes thing. I know my friends can only get two pokemon from me at the moment, whether I'm online or not.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Found a Shiny in my Water Friend Safari.... Shiny Krabby :D

Obviously its not a Shiny Frogadier, but who cares, its a brand spanking new shiny for me :D

As soon as you beat the elite four in one of your games, and you go online when your friends are online at the same time, that is when the third pokemon will appear in their games.

It doesn't matter if you then erase that save file, or start a new game on a different copy of the game. Once that third pokemon has been unlocked, it stays unlocked.

Last edited:

Shiny Trevenant

......I have no idea. Interesting.

Maybe as soon as you defeat the Elite Four in one it unlocks the third Pokemon fot your friends, even if you haven't beaten the Elite Four in your other game? I think that would make most sense, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone in that position. Everything else I've heard seems to fit with the whole Elite Four> 3 Pokes thing. I know my friends can only get two pokemon from me at the moment, whether I'm online or not.
I'd be willing to test this when I get home because I have 2 games, but I'm still 99% sure it goes off online status.

just got my 10th unique shiny. an Alomola

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Well, it seems my 5 day shiny streak has broken because I didn't run into one this morning like I had been :(. Now I'm trying to hatch a shiny Fenniken with the Masuda Method.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
My brother encountered a shiny Scraggy in a horde, but other than that I've had no such luck finding a shiny yet.....

I'm hoping that soon a Klefki egg will shine for me so far i'm on 25 eggs. Congrats to everyone that has found shiny's! :D

Shido-

I'm not convinced that we had the Shiny encounter rate raised. Why, you ask?
The Friend Safari must have some type of Shiny odds, I will say that...ether that or the fact that the Player finishing the game [the person who owns the Safari] might have something to do with it, or maybe people are just so darn lucky.
Then we have the radar and Fishing Chain. ...Uh, it is just like Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. You still have to WORK for your shiny, and one wrong move could cause the chain to break.

There was a reason why I did not use radar in those games, the shiny rate is ridiculous. you don't have to work for anything, just do it over and over again pretty much a certainty you will get a shiny. Case in point I got shiny skrelp in a CF of 4. This was before I knew you could chain fish. Radar might be slightly harder in these games but still broken.

So many people are finally able to get their very first shiny, and in my case, I'll get my first hunted Shiny soon enough...if Swirlix wants to show it's shiny BUTT to me.

I get how amazing that can be to find your first shiny. But its worth nothing if everyone has one. What made them amazing was how rare they were (minus hackers/rng abusers and radar users). It's like finding a nugget of gold in the streets of el dorado, while finding gold is awesome its kind of pointless when the entire city is paved with it.

And people are still hunting in other games, too. I mean, how ELSE are we going to get a Shiny Lugia, Ho-Oh, and the other starters at the moment? I mean, yeah sure, once December comes, people will trade over their Pokemon and hunt on X and Y...but from what I am getting with my own hunt...MMing is the same as before. Long. I mean, yeah...people have gotten a shiny by the first 100, but not all the time is luck going to be on a hunter's side. [again, just look at me. ANY DAY NOW, SWIRLIX!] And that still doesn't help our other legendary "problem." No where in the game can you get a Lugia, or a Ho-Oh, or a Kyogre, Uxie...the list still goes on.
And then you have the badge quests, which I still want to do someday.

For now being the key word. When the eventual "z" game comes out the pokemon who cant be obtained now will be obtainable. There will be more events giving away shiny palkias and dialgas etc. MMing is still valid except still not sure on those odds yet either since more people are reporting faster shiny egg hatches (- 100). Even then not worth it when you can CF, Radar and friend safari. No point to even look at older games cept if you are a masochist when it comes to shinnies.

Unless you are wanting a perfect stat/ability mon for battle (which you bring up but I was tired of quote tags :p). Which is a sad state of shiny hunting when it stopped becoming about finding those ever elusive shinnies ( and praying for stats that dont suck) but instead reduced to the "rarer" odds of getting six perfect stats and ability passed down. I'll never understand why people want everything to be easy and common to point that nothing is special or unique.

this isnt an attack on you btw, I just needed to get out my own rant and you provided some points of reference.

Storm07

PkmnTCG07
Just found a completely random Shiny Mankey in the Friend Safari, only the 2nd ever shiny I've encountered, first was a Pelipper whilst looking for a Feebas in Sapphire. Didn't have my camera on me so recorded it on my phone, sorry for the bad quality, could've probably found a way to make it clearer but didn't want to waste any time catching it.

[video=youtube;VsHq0ZxVXd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsHq0ZxVXd8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
I'm glad that Shiny Pokemon are much more available in this generation.

I do understand where you and others are coming from, in so far as they don't hold their rarity anymore, but for me, and i'm sure for the majority that like shiny pokemon, it was more about getting some amazingly different colored pokemon, not about spending weeks or months chasing something down, when there could be something better to do.

Plus it means those of us whom would usually just let our Shiny Pokemon settle in the boxes for years and never use them, can now do both. I can now EV train a Shiny Pyroar and keep one untouched, same for my Skrelp, and i personally love that.

Nothing is unique these days or special for that matter, to think Shiny Pokemon are special/unique in any generation is kinda strange, the fact of the matter is, when you see videos go up on youtube saying "First On Youtube... Shiny Palkia in Pokemon Pearl... 15k SR's"... The first thing that comes to my mind is, that's great for you, but realistically all it actually means is you were the first amongst those with access to a video camera, decent internet speeds(upload speed, or internet at all for that matter) to find it... whereas realistically, at least 100 people around the world beat you to that Shiny, and within a few months, another 2000 people will now have a Shiny Palkia.

As to the whole wanting things easy or common... well a 16 hour hunt is a long hunt for me, and i'm sure for a majority of casual players that's still a good portion of game time/your life taken up.

I love Shiny Pokemon, but i don't want to spend 10 hours a day SR'ing/hatching eggs/RE'ing for the next year and wind up with less than 6 shinies, which is what a lot of people ended up with across a generation, let alone a year.

If i do end up getting 1 Shiny per day across the course of this generation, i'll be ecstatic, because i'll have so much to do in terms of ev-training/collecting, that i won't get bored this generation, whereas i would so easily get bored in past generations, as the games just became all about Shiny Hunting, and not about enjoying the game itself.

People used to spend months, even years going after certain elusive Shiny Pokemon... so anything that means they can fully enjoy that Shiny, outside of just obtaining something they deem "rare" and boxing it, is a plus in my book. That's just my opinion on things though.

Just found a completely random Shiny Mankey in the Friend Safari, only the 2nd ever shiny I've encountered, first was a Pelipper whilst looking for a Feebas in Sapphire. Didn't have my camera on me so recorded it on my phone, sorry for the bad quality, could've probably found a way to make it clearer but didn't want to waste any time catching it.

[video=youtube;VsHq0ZxVXd8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsHq0ZxVXd8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Grats on the Shiny Mankey, have always thought it had a really nice coloring.

Last edited: