• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

My brother encountered a shiny Scraggy in a horde, but other than that I've had no such luck finding a shiny yet.....

I'm hoping that soon a Klefki egg will shine for me so far i'm on 25 eggs. Congrats to everyone that has found shiny's! :D

Thanks!

During training Skylar (Mime Jr), I've not found another shiny, but I'm considers trying to CF for a shiny Magikarp. As I'll only be keeping Pokebank long enough to transfer over my Sawsbuck, Druddigon, Skuntank and Rayquaza, and any shinies I'e ever had on SoulSilver excluding Gyarados, then I'll be trying to get a wild-caught shiny Gyarados.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Ohwell... CF 140 in a row.. And then a random not even a nibble. Just like the last chain at 97. Lame.

http://i41.*******.com/2qi33x3.png

It's even 142.

Last edited:

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
This is amazing.

Chain of 21
Vs Shiny Dragalge
Shiny 'Dex
OT/ID. No/Poison Touch/Etc
Careful nature

(On a side note...I honestly thought that Skrelp/Dragalge were the X exclusives and Clauncher/Clawlitzer the Y ones. That was a little confusing.)

Chain of 35
Vs Shiny Octillery
OT/ID. No/Sniper/Etc
Modest nature

Chain of ??
Vs Shiny Basculin

Basuclin killed itself with Final Gambit. :mad: Been trying to have another go, but keep on being too slow to hit A. Annoying.

(Also, I agree with Kirk about the whole value/rarity debate.)

Edit: Changed back to Cyllage City and tried using the Good Rod. Shiny Skrelp after 97 encounters! :)

Last edited:

Dangertrout

When I left for the hospital we were on page 362... now we're at 383. I've only been gone a few days o_O
looks like i have some reading to do...
As for my surgery, there were complications, but I seem to be ok now. Surgery went well otherwise. Haven't had energy for shiny hunting, maybe later this week...

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I got a shiny Horsea in a chain fishing of 3 o_O . This happened after a chain of Skrelp broke at a chain of 14. I've decided to hunt in the friend safari for now and I have one quick question. Do you have to be online to find a shiny quickly there or is it really at a higher rate to get a shiny no matter what. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

Edit: @kirkeastment
Thanks that will keep me going in my hunt.

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
I got a shiny Horsea in a chain fishing of 3 o_O . This happened after a chain of Skrelp broke at a chain of 14. I've decided to hunt in the friend safari for now and I have one quick question. Do you have to be online to find a shiny quickly there or is it really at a higher rate to get a shiny no matter what. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

I'm never online when i shiny hunt in the Friend Safari, and i've found plenty of shinies there. Hope that helps :D

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm glad that Shiny Pokemon are much more available in this generation.

I do understand where you and others are coming from, in so far as they don't hold their rarity anymore, but for me, and i'm sure for the majority that like shiny pokemon, it was more about getting some amazingly different colored pokemon, not about spending weeks or months chasing something down, when there could be something better to do.

Guess I'll share my opinion too. I don't mind it myself, since I have no shame in using the Shiny Charm in B2/W2 (and X/Y if it happens to be in this game as well). That being said, my Rayquaza hunt of ~26000 SR's is my most valued shiny partly because of how long it took. That doesn't mean I liked that it took long (I hated it at the time), but I've never been so happy to see a shiny since that one. I don't think I've ever been that happy ever, actually. What I mean is, while some hunters do so for the shiny itself, others do so for the sense of accomplishment of finding that shiny yourself, and a longer hunt often increases that feeling of accomplishment even if it feels awful at the time. That's why some of us will still hunt for something that could be obtained in some other way, like the Sinnoh Creation Trio, and others will chain for shinies.

Though like you've implied, we all hunt for varying reasons. It just happens that they don't line up perfectly with other reasons sometimes, and that's okay. We hunt for our own reasons, and no one else's opinion should change that. With all that said, I don't want to instigate an argument with this, in case this ends up derailing the thread a bit. Just sharing my opinion on this, and people can make of it what they wish.

On another note, I'm nearly done with the Kalos Dex (no shiny at all either), and I've changed my targets yet again. I will try for Zygarde after all, but only until 8192 SR's (or if we somehow can prove it's locked). I do want the dex completion, though, so if anyone has already caught Zygarde, I'd like to get Pokedex data for it. If anyone can help with that, I'd really appreciate it. PM/VM me if you can help with that.

Congrats on all the new shiny pokemon. Has anyone happened to have to come across a shiny binacle/barbaracle yet? Would like to see how it looks.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
When I left for the hospital we were on page 362... now we're at 383. I've only been gone a few days o_O
looks like i have some reading to do...
As for my surgery, there were complications, but I seem to be ok now. Surgery went well otherwise. Haven't had energy for shiny hunting, maybe later this week...

Where was I? You went into Surgery? *hugs* I do hope you feel better and recover soon.

As for my Eggs...I got a new plan! 8D I am not going to save, but instead...leave my game on, and have a charger beside me at all times. When I am not hunting, I'll just close my 3DS. That way, when I end up not having a shiny in the 95 eggs I hatched...I'll just turn off the game, turn it on again...and my 3 boxes will once again be empty~! Yeah, one less chore to do~
Congrats to all the shiny Pokemon that have been recently been found, and good luck to all who are hunting. :3 Happy Hunting~
~Misty​

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on all the new shiny pokemon. Has anyone happened to have to come across a shiny binacle/barbaracle yet? Would like to see how it looks.

I'm hunting for shiny Barbaracle in Friend Safari. So far I've got 3 shiny Onix and 1 Boldore.. Fingers crossed Barbaracle shines next!

Regality

Digital King
Gonna be so many shiny water types due to the consecutive rod method!
Have temporarily stopped MMing for Ponyta after 100 eggs.

KzBreakdown

Tamer of Gyarados
I just caught a second shiny skrelp which I am willing to offer for a shiny clauncher

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
Okay answer this then, what if someone has 2 different games on the same ds, how would that work? As I said earlier, that page isn't accurate unfortunately.

The confusion over this is crazy. This is how it works:

Having a friend registered on your 3DS will allow you to visit their Friend Safari. If you have friends who have not played/do not own Pokemon XY for example, you may still visit their Friend Safari but it will only have 2 Pokemon. So, the Type and Pokemon a friend's Friend Safari has is dependent on the Friend Code.
Beating the Elite Four for the first time allows for your Friend Safari to house a 3rd Pokemon. Other people can not find this third Pokemon until you are both online (in-game) at the same time as presumably, this is when their game sees that you have beaten the game and unlocks the 3rd Pokemon for you. Science.

carmstrong

So far this gen I have managed to get shiny Fraxure and Clauncher, pretty happy with that!

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Got a shiny magikarp on a chain of around 50, more to test the method! I only have the old rod, if my starter wasn't a Froakie I would possibly add her to my team but this one will be getting boxed!

Shiny Trevenant

The confusion over this is crazy. This is how it works:

Having a friend registered on your 3DS will allow you to visit their Friend Safari. If you have friends who have not played/do not own Pokemon XY for example, you may still visit their Friend Safari but it will only have 2 Pokemon. So, the Type and Pokemon a friend's Friend Safari has is dependent on the Friend Code.
Beating the Elite Four for the first time allows for your Friend Safari to house a 3rd Pokemon. Other people can not find this third Pokemon until you are both online (in-game) at the same time as presumably, this is when their game sees that you have beaten the game and unlocks the 3rd Pokemon for you. Science.
I realize this, but what I was trying to explain is just beating the elite 4 does not make the third pokemon magically appear like some people believed. Beating the elite 4 makes it available, but not until you are both online. What they were saying is, you beat the elite 4 bam! the third pokemon appears.

⊙ᴗ⊙
Shiny Trevenant get!

Funny story, I was just trying to level up my shiny Skrelp a bit before my English class started today when I stumbled upon this beautiful thing. I was pretty elated until that feeling was cut short as my professor decided to start class. I quickly shoved the 3DS under the table and prayed to -insert nameless otherwordly deity- that she wouldn't noticed I was playing games under the table. One by one I picked off the other Trevenants in the horde with my Greninja's Ice beam until finally only she was left. Knowing any moment she'd tell us to start writing or form up into groups, I quickly chucked my one and only master ball and saved, sighing in relief I hadn't been caught.

Looking back now, she has a Quirky nature. Which kind of sucks but it's better than something hindering I guess. Now that I'm safely home, I decided to name her Grunty after the witch in Banjo Kazooie and soon have her EV trained up and hopefully levelled a bit~