• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

shadowF

Should I consider tipping in order to possibly increase my chances of getting shiny pokemon?

Voodoo900

Should I consider tipping in order to possibly increase my chances of getting shiny pokemon?

tipping is still a theory, not really sure if it does increase chances.

shadowF

tipping is still a theory, not really sure if it does increase chances.

Okay, Thanks! Also will I need to get the pokeradar first before I start chain fishing?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Okay, Thanks! Also will I need to get the pokeradar first before I start chain fishing?

No, you can chain fish once you get the Old Rod. But you'll have a lot more success if you put a Pokemon with Suction Cups at the front of your party when you do it.

shadowF

No, you can chain fish once you get the Old Rod. But you'll have a lot more success if you put a Pokemon with Suction Cups at the front of your party when you do it.

Okay, thank you! I will try chain fishing once I finally get the old rod! Any good places to start?

VaneRiven

The Oddball Trainer
Still MMing for a shiny Mawile. Just hit 800 eggs hatched, still no luck.

Spawty

Claimed Golduck!
Okay, thank you! I will try chain fishing once I finally get the old rod! Any good places to start?

Try fishing near rocks. On Route 12, south of the Skiddo Ranch, south of the Hiker, if you travel along the shoreline, you should end near some rocks. If you surf west a little bit, there should be a water tile surrounded by three rocks.

Another area would be south of Ambrette Town. Follow the shoreline until you reach an endpoint with a sparking water tile.

I'm wondering if these sparkling water tiles have to do anything with chain fishing, or if they're just for decoration....

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
Still MMing for a shiny Mawile. Just hit 800 eggs hatched, still no luck.

Good luck, I will try for one eventually as well so I can have a shiny Mawile that isn't Modest natured lol. For now I'm just trying to breed one with good IVs.

Doing some old fashioned REs, although it is with hordes. at 2000 encounters. A Plusle or Minun would be ideal but Scraggy would be cool too. Gulpin...is unfortunately the most likely so I'll just hope it's not that.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
So is there anyway to know if they did make it easier to get shinies in X and Y? Without hacking I mean. It's weird that this many people are getting shinies...I know it was a worldwide release, but it seems like almost every single person is getting a shiny

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Kyle Clarthy on Chespin, Jessy070 on Cyndaquil, ShayMaster on Eevee, dan2point5 on Goldeen, Quils on Eevee, JohnNiles on Honedge, and all the other shinies!

----------------------------

900 REs on Platinum and Black 2 today, and 700 on HeartGold. I’ve officially passed the 40k mark on Platinum now, at 40,200 REs. Black 2 is now at 2,100 REs, so still pretty early in this phase of the hunt. And HeartGold is at 1,300 REs.

I EV trained Quilava and Croconaw some more, but they still leveled to 30 too quickly, so I couldn’t finish :x But luckily, ugly Croconaw evolved into somewhat-less-ugly Feraligatr, so that was good…

So now I’ll just keep hunting in Route 36…Trying to get a moon stone from the Mom, but still need just a little more money I guess. A little scared I’ll find a Growlithe first, and neither Meganium nor Furret have any moves to counter that (I made sure to check very thoroughly this time, lest I have another unnecessary Abra incident)…If I’m able to find a Nidoran first though, Nidoqueen/Nidoking can learn Taunt to stop Growlithe’s Roar, which is why I’m trying hard to get that Moon Stone >_< I just hope I get the 20% Growlithe on Black 2 instead of the 15% Growlithe on HeartGold -_-

Good luck, everyone!

Primera Stark

Wicked like Gengar
Still no shiny Eevee after about 300 REs in Safari, might switch to fishing for an hour before hitting the sack for the night.

degausser

In the Cookie Jar
I finally got my shiny Charmeleon in the Friend Safari. I'd been running around there for days and was feeling pretty frustrated. So I decided to leave and tip a few people before going back in the Safari. I go back and BAM, shiny Charmeleon within 10 minutes. Also got shiny fishies from chain fishing - purple remoraid looks pretty cool. Not sure about shiny basculin or shiny staryu. I think normal ones of those two look nicer. I also got a shiny Gloom from Safari. Gotta decide whether to evolve it into a Bellosom or Vileplume. So many decisions. I am hunting for a shiny Eevee next.

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
KO'd a shiny Plusle. Rare in the first place so this kind of sucks. I thought I had a False Swiper on my party but nope and then over-thought what Pokemon I should KO etc. Oh well...

PokemonFan91

Four days of chain fishing and not finding any shinies ended tonight, I caught 5 shinies in less than 2 hours. Horsea, Clauncher, Poliwhirl, Gyarados and Alomomola. :D

first post too. :)

JohnNiles

So now I’ll just keep hunting in Route 36…Trying to get a moon stone from the Mom, but still need just a little more money I guess. A little scared I’ll find a Growlithe first, and neither Meganium nor Furret have any moves to counter that (I made sure to check very thoroughly this time, lest I have another unnecessary Abra incident)…If I’m able to find a Nidoran first though, Nidoqueen/Nidoking can learn Taunt to stop Growlithe’s Roar, which is why I’m trying hard to get that Moon Stone >_< I just hope I get the 20% Growlithe on Black 2 instead of the 15% Growlithe on HeartGold -_-

Good luck, everyone!

I find the Pickup ability to be the most consistent for getting Moon stones and Sun stones. Zigzagoon and Aipom have Pickup among others... I'm not sure if Sentret can have it.

So, I've found some shinies through chain fishing and some in Friend Safari (actually looked for them), but yesterday I encountered my first shiny that wasn't really planned. In Friend Safari, a shiny Palpitoad came out of the blue! Not sure if I'm too fond of its design, but it was a nice surprise anyway.