• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Well, after taking a small break from hunting I'm ready to go at it again! I'll be MMing for Clauncher this time. It took me awhile but I finally got a foreign parent with good IVs so I'm all ready to go. After all those easy shinies from the Friend Safari I wouldn't mind a long hunt this time around, as long as it isn't something like 5k eggs lol! Also, why doesn't the day care guy stop to tell you he has an egg!? Makes things a bit more annoying now but I'll live.

Anyways, gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone. :]

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I want to attempt to hunt a spiritomb and eevee in friend safari.. But none of my friends got them. Anyone know who has them so I can contact them? PM me please.

About to start fish chaining again, getting a little boring though.

dan2point5

@cityofdelusion - when waiting for an egg you can tell when one is ready because the day care man turns around and faces the route instead of looking at the daycare garden :) Good luck on the hunt!

Edit - Shiny Barbaracle in FS! Been hunting on and off last few days in search of shiny onix but I'll happily take this. Will change up the area now. Hopefully get shiny wartortle so I can get shiny mega blastoise!

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Well, it's now 4am in the morning....I stayed up hatching Lapras eggs, and nothing shined. I just need to stay positive and hope for the best. I also gotta hope this hunt don't go on for a long freakish amount of time....

I hatched 3 boxes full of eggs tonight, so therefore I hatched 90 eggs in total. I would keep going with this tonight, but I need sleep. I had yesterday off from work, so I had a lot of time to breed and hatch eggs. I'm gonna pick back up with this hunt when I wake up later.

I was hoping this hunt wouldn't go over 100 eggs, but it looks like I won't be getting that lucky unless one of these last 9 eggs shines (crossing fingers)

I'm gonna keep breeding and filling up my boxes though, as I'm figuring this hunt is gonna go on for quite a while.....

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Just snagged a Shiny Inkay from a Dark Friend Safari...

My Sync worked, it has an Adamant nature, although its best IV's are Sp.Atk and Speed... that said, apparently "This Pokémon has relatively superior potential overall".. meaning it should have some good iv's for its other stats too :D

Forgot to take picture during encounter, was a little too excited as it shone really quickly...

Am going back into the same FS to try and get Shiny Pawniard and/or Shiny Sandile, since Adamant would work nicely on both.... If one appears fast, then i'll go after the other. :D

Last edited:

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
So is there anyway to know if they did make it easier to get shinies in X and Y? Without hacking I mean. It's weird that this many people are getting shinies...I know it was a worldwide release, but it seems like almost every single person is getting a shiny

So far, one can only guess about the odds increasing. Also, I've heard that hacking into a 3DS game's coding is very hard to do, so it'll be a while before any odds come to light.

As for me, I'm at 260 SRs for Zygarde. I'm not sure if the SRs are quicker than Giratina, but they sure do feel quicker. But I'll be dual hunting Zygarde and Giratina (yup, two trio members...two gens apart). I wonder which one wants to shine first, the ghostly serpent or the giant land worm...

Good luck to you all and congrats! (Though guys, Dangertrout mentioned this earlier, but editing posts would be ideal if you are answering a question or something, instead of clogging the thread.)

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
So im new to this chain fishing and want to know if im doing it correct.

I stand in 1 spot and fish without interuptions until I get one?

You stand on one spot and fish without failing till you get a shiny.

These things break your combo (The known things.)
- Catching a pokémon (I suggest only catching the shiny pokémon. :p)
- Reeling in to slow (Might happen because you didn't focus. Take a break.
- Reeling in to fast (This may happen if you are to tired or impatience. Take a break or something if you feel tired.)
- Not even a nibble (This is rare if you have a pokémon with suction cups as lead
- Move your character (Just fish on the same spot.)

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Caught a shiny Zoroark randomly earlier on X, and chain-fished up a shiny Relicantch at around 20-something earlier today in Cyllage City.

Ahniolator

Spent 3 days attempting to radar chain myself a shiny goomy/sligoo to no avail, switched over to chaining zoroark and noctowl in the pokemon village, still nothing after a day.

30 minutes ago decided I would switch gears and try out MM'ing, and after 10 eggs I got my shiny goomy :D

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
I would stick my neck out and hazard a guess at odds in the friend safari are as low as 1/1000 or 1/500

Might be a bit of a guesstimate but would explain why people are getting shinies in there all the freaking time!

And why in 2 weeks souske222 has caught over 20 shinies across 3 games :D

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I would stick my neck out and hazard a guess at odds in the friend safari are as low as 1/1000 or 1/500

Might be a bit of a guesstimate but would explain why people are getting shinies in there all the freaking time!

or very many people are making very many encounters there

Dark Dranzer

I've found a shiny Chatot on Route 12 and post game I found a shiny Fletchinder in the Friend Safari

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Finally, after a chain of 137 I finally caught a Shiny Poliwag... Worthless IV's & a lonely nature. Oh well wasn't planning to use him anyway. 3 More Poliwags to go. I hope these hunts will go a little faster, I nearly broke my chain of 142 record. (Didn't even caught something with that one.)

Last edited:
So... This is starting to get a little sad for me.
I've reached the maximum amount of boxes avaiable.
29 boxes full of Masuda bred Squirtles and Dratinis and not 1 shiny.
that's what, 870ish babies in my box... Releasing them will take me forever and it's all for nothing =(

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
that's what, 870ish babies in my box... Releasing them will take me forever and it's all for nothing =(

What I do when I MM for shinies is release the pokemon immediately after hatching if none of them are shiny. So I just go to the box and release them straight from my party and grab some more eggs from the box. that way I'm not stuck with like 15 boxes that I have to release at once. Hope you get your shiny soon!

As for me, still working on bq number 2 shiny on Route 8. Really hoping for Absol. Still trying to get a certain shiny in the friend safari also. Since I already used Florges in my X playthrough and used the shiny stone found by the skiddo Ranch, does anyone know where I can get another stone to evolve the shiny Floette I got yesterday?

Happy hunting everyone!!

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
LOL! While investigating the fishable pokémon in parfum palace. (For the X & Y discovery thread.) I actually found a Shiny Magikarp.

I switched rods while looking for the pokémon who are located here, and I think switching rods doesn't break the chain.

Last edited:

Marvs

Shinneeee!

The way I do MM (quite successfully I should add) is save in front of the man when he has 1 egg ready, then collect 5, hatch them all and soft reset if there is no shiny. That's the method I've always used since black and I've probably gotten about 20MM pokemon

UPDATE: I just got a shiny Drifloon after 986 SR's in Pokemon Platinum! hard work paid off :D