• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
Last edited:

Dangertrout

Spent a couple days in the hospital again, and no shinies to show for it >.< I'm MMing Voltorb in W2 right now, hopefully I get it soon :p
I'm not even going to try to catch up on this thread, 20 pages appeared while I was gone.
I trust everyone is remembering to EDIT their posts ;)

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well, I am now at 600 SRs for Zygarde. I am hoping it shines soon purely because it would be proof that it isn't shiny-locked (to inspire others to hunt it!). Giratina hit 16,345 earlier, but I don't feel like hunting it now until tomorrow.

Good luck and congrats to you all!

Jake.

Congrats to everyone on the recent shinies. They've been pouring in with the new generation, which is great to see.

I've been MMing for Froakie in my Y version, and finally hatched a shiny one today! He came after 897 eggs. It certainly wasn't a short hunt, but I've seen much worse. Here's the picture:

http://i.imgur.com/32mu4Tr.jpg

Unfortunately, he has Torrent rather than Protean for his ability, so I won't be using him competitively. But I'm still pumped to get a shiny nonetheless. Good luck to all of you on your hunts. :)

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
...I wish my luck was like this. Congrats.
I have been hunting in my friend's Electric Safari for a day now, it feels...nothing yet. I would like to give my sister a Shiny Helioptile, which is one of her favorite Pokemon. And, hey Pachirisu would be nice, too [being one of my more favorite Shinies]
Why do I feel my luck stinks...really badly. *sigh*Good luck, guys. And Congrats to all your shines.

Same for me. Been hunting the whole day, not one shiny for me. Unlucky day is unlucky. :(

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies.

I got my second shiny in X today, a Skrelp. While looking for an ordinary one on the GTS I saw her being offered by someone wanting an Electabuzz, which I happened to have in one of my Friend's Safaris so I caught one and traded ASAP. She's a German Skrelp with a neutral nature and Poison Point. She has a 31 IV in speed and has relatively superior stats. Not much of an achievement as I traded to get her but I'm still happy.

Quick question: If I play my UK Y version in Japanese (which I'm going to do anyway) do the Pokemon I get from it count as being foreign or does it depend on which region 3DS the game works on? I want to MM for some shinies but would prefer to get both parents myself so they have good IVs.

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
@Greedy Chibi looks like we both got one in 10 minutes. Im just very happy because my last shiny was over a year ago.

Nad I think it depends on youre 3DS since X and Y are the only games where you had an option to choose your language.

radjess331

Reptile Keeper
So question for yall. When you hatch a shiny pokemon. When it bursts from the egg will it be shiny? or do you hvae to go and check its summary to see if its shiny? Ive been checking the summary every time and havent seen my shiny Absol yet but yea just curious if its even worth wasting time checking summaries haha

I'm currently hunting friend safari with absol eggs in my team trying to double up on catching him haha

not589

So question for yall. When you hatch a shiny pokemon. When it bursts from the egg will it be shiny? or do you hvae to go and check its summary to see if its shiny? Ive been checking the summary every time and havent seen my shiny Absol yet but yea just curious if its even worth wasting time checking summaries haha

I'm currently hunting friend safari with absol eggs in my team trying to double up on catching him haha

It will appear shiny in the hatching sequence.

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
I too got a shiny gyrados!

Looks awesome !

Won't bother with pics haha as lots of people CBA with CF haha!

ohjeezitskim

I caught 3 safari pokemon in 24 hours... I definitely think they odds are lowered there (but sweeeet~~ if they are 8,192)
The last one I ran into was a Shiny Fraxure :3 She's already EV trained in attack and speed but has 31 IVs in attack and special attack. Bashful nature.
I also bred my NF Lucario and got some great Riolu. I posted all of his adamant children in the 6th gen Sinnoh trade forums if anyone would like to trade.

I was trying to do a fishing chain for a Magikarp for my boyfriend, with an adamant sync, but meh. I get my chains to 30ish, they break. I get extra bored and then I do other things xD

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
You know he has an egg if he is facing forward!

I know. I just liked it more in 5th gen when he actually stopped you when he had an egg.

I hate the day care guy. Know why? His backwards baseball cap makes it hard for me to tell whether he's facing backwards or forwards. Why is he wearing his cap backward??? To look cool? It looks terrible.

This. ALL of this.

-------------

My hunt for Carbink is going smoothly so far. I have only hatched about 16 eggs though, they seems to have a high egg step count but I'm not too bothered by it. It turns out that my shiny Clauncher I hatched has above average IVs which is meh since both parents had relatively superior IVs but I'll still train it.

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck!

dark1raven3

Pokemon breeder
I've just had some nice luck in my game. Was hunting for a shiny lampent in the safari when I run into a shiny drifblim :D it was bold nature with max def and speed ivs, then about 20 mins later I run into another one this time modest but I decided to give it to my bf since its his favourite ghost pokemon :)

sarysa

Series slave
I'm not a shiny hunter, but I do want to yell out to the world that after six full playthroughs (Gen I not included), eight titles played at least partially, and even after breeding like rabbits with MM lately...I got my first ever shiny.

As a RE in Friend Safari, was looking for hidden ability Poliwhirls and got a shiny one.

It has a good nature for the Politoed I plan on making, but sadly it has terrible IVs. (atk + spatk perfs, above average, which means its defenses must be hurting badly -- and I'm planning on breeding a defensive mon)

Nice to finally be in the club of people who play this game way too much. :D

Last edited:
Shiny 3 has just been found, and my first ever CF shiny!

As an owner of merely an Old Rod, I chose to hunt the two Pokémon who can be found- Luvdisc and Magikarp- as practice. Tonight, that goal has come to pass! Twenty minutes of fishing later, with my Suction Cups Inkay in hand and my Paraflincher Granbull, Fang, ready as backup, I have caught a shiny Magikarp! Sure, I could import my SS Gyarados, but it doesn't have the same satisfaction of catching and using her.

The Magikarp is female, with a Jolly nature- not the best, but I can always re-hunt Vitticepa after the game is complete. Besides, Gyarados can work as a physical attacker, if I recall, and Vitticepa's current role is merely for ingame at her current status.

Posting here just to record my Shiny Caterpie hunt progress. Releasing the second batch, consisting of 153 of them, which sums up to a total of 543 Eggs so far.

I've paused my hunt in favor of my quest to fill the National Dex for the shiny charm. I know it'll be worth it.

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
The Magikarp is female, with a Jolly nature

I wanted to quote this because uh... I just found a female shiny Magikarp... with a Jolly nature o_O
So uh, congrats Earth Wolf-Howl! And of course everyone else on their shinie too!

Yes, at a chain of an unknown number because I was fishing for fun and didn't expect to actually find a shiny, I found a female Jolly natured shiny Magikarp, and caught her in a Luxury Ball because I'm one of those people who loves golden 'Karp ;3
She deserves the fanciest of Pokéballs!
I guess it stands to say: Always expect the unexpected.

I won't be evolving this Magikarp, because as I said I love shiny Magikarp much more than Gyarados. However, I have decided to try for a 2nd, hopefully male, so I can Mega-Evolve it! So yay Chain Fishing. It's cheap and kinda easy (and also very boring after a while) but it has it's uses!

I also did a 144 chain earlier with no shiny at the end, but I'm very excited I was able to get so far. It gives me a lot of hope when I go for female shiny Poliwag later one :3

Good luck everyone on your hunts!