• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
2nd shiny encounter today, it's my 4th Swirlix. This one was requested by someone, so it'll get traded away.
I barely noticed it as I was watching a movie while hunting, and Swirlix's shine isn't the most noticeable...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLiuRZlrJQ

http://i41.*******.com/1zxsdxs.jpg

I'm telling you, Swirlix LOVE you! xD
So...yeah, every time I try hunting, I always feel down about myself every time I see a Pokemon that ISN'T shiny.
With the news that there MIGHT be a Shiny Charm...just MIGHT...I chose to try to get all the Pokemon humanly possible in this game as of now.
But...I really do want to become a legit Shiny Hunter. So, what better way to make myself feel like a Shiny Hunter...and drive myself completely INSANE!

I'm going all the way back, September 9, 2004 [In America], only this time, I'll be SRing a Starter...Number 001.
Yes, that is right, I am going to be playing LeafGreen/FireRed [one I find one in my room that doesn't contain my first ever Nuzlocke file] and I'll be Badge Questing it!...I'm insane.

I'm choosing Bulbasaur over the other two...because I do love its Shiny form. Charmander is...let us be honest here, it is a BLACK Dragon thing! I find this shiny really flipping cool. Squirtle...though I do love Purple, I don't like the green mix in with it.
Venasaur is by far one of my more favorite Starters in all of Pokemon, I do love the grass type [though...I always start with water.] And with the golden Flower as a Shiny, I cannot resist going for it. It just looks beautiful.
So, here I go~ Once I find myself a Non-Nuzlocked FireRed or LeafGreen File, I'll be entering into the wonderful world of Kanto, Hunting high and low for 8 Shiny Pokemon [More would be WONDERFUL].

Good luck Shiny Hunting everyone, Congrats to all new Shiny Pokemon, and remember to have a Fantastic day.
Happy Hunting~
~Misty

Cyberra

pain in the ***
This game trolls me. I've hatched over 600 eggs and no shiny Hawlucha.
I will never give up trying to hatch shiny Hawlucha!

I'll see your 600 eggs for Hawlucha and raise you 7,000 eggs for roggenrola... THAT hunt took me half of August and the entirety of September.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on the Espurr (don't think I'd actually seen a shiny Espurr before), Honedge, Noibat, Basculin, Relicanth, Froakie (shiny starter = awesome), Nincada, Miltank, Togepi, Swirlix, Fennekin, Mawile, Clauncher (STILL haven't caught one of those guys) and Ivysaur!

In other news, finally finished my accidental FS hunt with an awesome Shiny Pidgey! 1316 REs which obviously isn't much in the grander scheme of things but still a lot more than I was expecting and I'll admit, my eyes kinda sting now. I guess when you think about it that's a good number of REs in 24 hours, especially as I spent about 10 of them sleeping and XY seem to be slower then other Gens RE-wise, to me at least. I'm really curious as to what the FS rate is now - based on other peoples hunts and my own two hunts I figured it was something like 1/500 before but now I'm wondering if maybe it's more like 1/1000.

Anyways, I called it Rocket because Pidgeots are fast and this one has an Speed IV of 31 (!) and as a sort of homage to the fact that it's an old school Gen 1 pokemon. And thanks to KittyKitty as it was from her Friend Safari. :)

On that note, thanks to PaddysTurtwigFanClub for my Shiny Sigilyph the other day. I like the idea that, even if we're not actively hunting on behalf of someone, we're kind of helping each other get shinies. I hope the people who have my FS find lots of cool shinies too. :)

maniacmatt

Just needed to tell someone about this, but I got my first shiny ever without even trying and it was a fossil I was given. I got a shiny Tyrunt on my first playthrough, and I love it. Tyrantrum looks awesome in dark blue.

TheMaster327

I'll see your 600 eggs for Hawlucha and raise you 7,000 eggs for roggenrola... THAT hunt took me half of August and the entirety of September.

And I see your 7,000 eggs for Roggenrola, and raise you 8,485 eggs for Tauros. That spanned both Black 1 and Black 2. Anyone able to top that?!

Marvs

Shinneeee!
And I see your 7,000 eggs for Roggenrola, and raise you 8,485 eggs for Tauros. That spanned both Black 1 and Black 2. Anyone able to top that?!

Not in eggs no, but my Terrakion hunt lasted over a year! I must have done over 50k SRs it was unbelievable

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm going all the way back, September 9, 2004 [In America], only this time, I'll be SRing a Starter...Number 001.
Yes, that is right, I am going to be playing LeafGreen/FireRed [one I find one in my room that doesn't contain my first ever Nuzlocke file] and I'll be Badge Questing it!...I'm insane.

I'm choosing Bulbasaur over the other two...because I do love its Shiny form. Charmander is...let us be honest here, it is a BLACK Dragon thing! I find this shiny really flipping cool. Squirtle...though I do love Purple, I don't like the green mix in with it.
Venasaur is by far one of my more favorite Starters in all of Pokemon, I do love the grass type [though...I always start with water.] And with the golden Flower as a Shiny, I cannot resist going for it. It just looks beautiful.

Good luck! A BQ in an older game is a ton of fun, especially if you're prepared for a long run. Fun fact, shiny Charizard wasn't Black in G/S/C. It was actually purple, with a different color on its wings. It got the black coloring in FR/LG. The more you know. :p

I have plans to hunt in a Friend Safari that has Growlithe, Charmeleon and Braixen, so I might get a Charizard myself (prefer Mega Y over X) I still need to get a foreign Torchic, though, so I can finish that MM hunt first. After the currently available National Dex, of course. Good luck on those shiny hunts, though!

Torkoa1

So happy after 153 eggs using Masuda Method got a Shiny Dedenne I wanted one so bad it is so freaking adorable :)

(Also has perfect speed IV''s) So not mad :)

Last edited:

JohnNiles

Grr... I loathe the new pokeball inheritance mechanic. I was trying to breed a good Ralts with Telepathy. Since I don't have access to a safari with Ralts, I was getting them off the GTS. Everybody uses bizarroballs to catch them and I just want one with a regular pokeball. Turns out that the parent with the Everstone, male or female, is the one whose pokeball design is passed down to the child. So it turns out I was breeding Raltses with excellent IVs...and they all had a goddamn Repeat ball design that I didn't notice because the colors are very similar to a regular pokeball. -_- I lost a ton of progress and have given up on Telepathy (useless in those single matches that random people challenge me to). I hate this crap. I need to do some more hatching and I'll have to use my own pokemon with the same ID, which means I won't benefit from the max egg generation rate. Thanks a lot!

Why the hell did they implement this? So that hacks are labeled as hacks?

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Ahhh mah goddd. After 347 eggs this adorable rock hatches!

Black and Blue <33333!

I. Love. It.

and the IVs are amazing o_o!

Carbink - #703 (Bold)
HP: 26 - 27
Att: 14 - 15
Def: 31
SpA: 30 - 31
SpD: 28 - 29
Speed: 26 - 27

I think I'm gonna MM for shiny Protean Froakie next. Good luck everyone :]

Last edited:

MediaKlepto

Playing since 1998
Turns out that the parent with the Everstone, male or female, is the one whose pokeball design is passed down to the child.

All I wanted was a female HA Eevee in a PokeBall, and it took me about 3000 attempts to get one, because the female I got with Anticipation was in an Ultra Ball. I finally realized that breeding a male with a Ditto will not pass down the Ditto's PokeBall, so I was able to do it that way. I wonder if giving an Everstone to the Ditto will make the ball pass though...

Ahhh mah goddd. After 347 eggs this adorable rock hatches!

Black and Blue <33333!

I. Love. It.

I think my heart just melted. It's so adorable~! I need to MM for this after I try my luck with Clauncher.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
Grr... I loathe the new pokeball inheritance mechanic. I was trying to breed a good Ralts with Telepathy. Since I don't have access to a safari with Ralts, I was getting them off the GTS. Everybody uses bizarroballs to catch them and I just want one with a regular pokeball. Turns out that the parent with the Everstone, male or female, is the one whose pokeball design is passed down to the child. So it turns out I was breeding Raltses with excellent IVs...and they all had a goddamn Repeat ball design that I didn't notice because the colors are very similar to a regular pokeball. -_- I lost a ton of progress and have given up on Telepathy (useless in those single matches that random people challenge me to). I hate this crap. I need to do some more hatching and I'll have to use my own pokemon with the same ID, which means I won't benefit from the max egg generation rate. Thanks a lot!

Why the hell did they implement this? So that hacks are labeled as hacks?

Actually it's only the mother that passes down the pokeball. I quite like is personally, it means I can MM shinies in cool pokeballs.

JohnNiles

You won't find it so handy when you have to get your pokemon from someone else, sight unseen. Gah, this is anti-choice. This is like the opposite of how they did it in Gen IV (allow you to paste effects of your choice onto the ball's battle animation). It's yet another criterion to reject pokemon off the GTS.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
I have finally started my next hunt, for either a Corsola or a Shuckle in the friend safari. I managed to get one with both and both are cool when they are shiny. Time to get this hunt started!

HGaddict

<--- Newest Shiny
Well, shortly after posting about my current hunts, one shines! A shiny Fennekin just graced my screen via MM in Pokemon Y. I saved before each egg, so once I found it, I reset and boxed it so that I can send a shiny starter egg of each starter over for my first play through of X. So now on to Chespin, which is what I'm currently SRing for in X. Pictures of Fennekin to come soon. (It looks absolutely amazing in game.)

Quick few questions: What is your opinion, should I keep my shiny Fennekin as a Bracken or Delphox? Second question, would Eviolite work/be effective on Braxien?

Well, good luck on your hunts, and again, have fun in your games!

Edit:Forgot to mention the final egg count. My shiny Fennekin was the 697th hatched egg, so not a super short hunt, but not long either, so I'm happy!

Last edited:

Tagi

Well, my pokemon games are trolling me. After playing all these games from the gameboy days I have never caught or even seen one shiny that wasn't scripted. I have played all the way through X, over leveled my pokemon, was grinding fishing spots to fill the pokedex tried chaining for more hours than I care to count - no shinning pokemon for me.

I started a jokey Y run through, mainly just to try out the new and different pokemon, to catch the version exclusives and to send them over to X...I rarely went in to the grass at all. Straight after the second gym, I healed my pokemon up at the centre, ran out in to the next route and I think to myself: "Oh oops I forgot to buy pokeba-" My train of thought gets cut off because I encountered a shiny Nosepass.

I burst out laughing.

Luckily I still had a couple of great balls on me ;) I'm still giggling about it now.