• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

SkiesBuizel

Traveler Trainer
I haven't got shiny Pokemon since my Diamond version Meditite (and it a female! :D)....T__T
That's was my first one and hoping in the future for my X I might encounter a shiny Pokemon but who know. :/

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to RaichuArcanine on Blitzle, VainAttempts on Budew, Azure Kyogre on Froakie, VIZGIX on Honedge, Meowth City on Solosis, City Of Delusion on Froakie, and on everyone else’s shinies!

-----------

YES!!!

So it wasn’t my first choice, but I just found a Shiny Female Nidoran!

[IMG200] http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b579/Charizard4993/IMG_1106_zps576ef12d.jpg[/IMG200]

I actually wasn’t really paying attention to the screen, so this time, I didn’t see it coming across the screen, or see/hear the sparkles (good thing I looked before hitting run!)…And while that’s disappointing, it’s also pleasantly surprising in its own unique way to look down and see that a shiny pokemon had appeared :p

I was actually watching a youtube video when it appeared, and I looked down at my screens from left to right, and when my eyes got to that last screen and saw the pink and green colors, my mouth literally dropped open :D I’d actually been preparing for my Black 2 and HeartGold to go over the odds, so I couldn’t believe my luck that this appeared.

Oh, right, I’m babbling again and forgot to actually say how quickly it appeared…Just 2,658 REs! My 258th RE of the night, which is comforting as I always lose hope of a shiny appearing after 150-200 REs.

She has a Naïve nature (+Speed, -Sp. Def), is Quick Tempered, and more importantly, has the Poison Point ability (I just hate that Rivalry lowers the base power if facing an opposite-gendered pokemon). The only problem this brings is that, as I’ll be giving her Taunt to counter a potential shiny Growlithe’s Roar, she runs the risk of poisoning the pokemon…So hopefully I catch it before 8 turns, should one appear :x

I’ll post the video when I make my usual ultra-important daily update post, for anyone who wants to see it.

Good luck, everyone!

Scrufox86

Oh my word... I am so laughing at the moment. I have been preparing to MM all three starters and so I had to hatch a lot of fennekin to get modest nature and magician ability onto a female with luxury ball (my fave ball for shinies) and I did a few other things like berry field and battle chateau and also some friend safari to try for a shiny.. well no such luck of a shiny there or with any of the hatched fennekin eggs. I did get a female with the correct nature and ability for my MM hunt though.

Well onto the main reason why I am laughing (and it is all good laughter)... I decided to try chain fishing for a magikarp as I like the golden shiny and thought it'll be easy as it is the only pokemon with old rod on route 3 but even though I had suction cups it broke so I got annoyed and moved location. I went to azure bay and used good rod for chinchou and remoraid. Well I got a shiny remoraid on chain 36 lol. And then I moved location and went to try fishing on route 12 for Clamperl but guess what.... I got a 2nd shiny remoraid on chain 66 lol. I don't mind getting a 2nd one as I can now evolve one and keep the other like with my two Claunchers. So there are my pokemon X versions shinies 4 and 5. And all of my shinies on X so far are from chain fishing lol. I like fishing now hahaha.

Congratulations to all new shinies and good luck to all.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I was chaining for Gyarados earlier, and made it all the way to 52 encounters. After that my chain broke even with suction cups...I'm glad I at least got a shiny Remoraid today though in 38 reel ins :)

Voodoo900

It has been a long weekend, just to get another shiny
I got so frustrated after 1990 RE in the friend safari, and then a shiny Growlithe appeared.
caught him.
I can now rest well, so happy.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
I really want to get a shiny that can mega evolve. My first choice would obviously be a Shiny Charizard but Charizard is so generic and overrated. I'm thinking Mewtwo or Ampharos. I can hardly imagine what shiny mega Mewtwo will look like.

I'm still going to hunt for Corsola and Skuckle in the friend safari though. Or maybe Wortortle/Froagadier since I got a friend safari with both of those too. I managed about 40 REs for Corsola/Shuckle yesterday though.

Arryu

I have a quick question about MM'ing.

I'm trying to get a shiny pichu for my girlfriend, and I'm about 100 eggs in. My question is do SRs affect MM? I don't see why it would, but you never know. It would be nice if it didn't, that way you don't have to have potentially 20 boxes of one pokemon.

prd797

Quiet Poster
After doing a bit of messing around in my Y version, I ended up stumbling upon my first two shinies for Gen VI. On my first cast looking for a Horsea, it came up shiny, which was pretty awesome. I totally understand the perceived lesser value of chain-fished pokemon, but my Horsea came up entirely randomly. It's really cool to snag a Horsea in this manner, as shiny Kingdra always looked pretty cool to me.

Then just a few minutes ago I went looking for a Seaking for the dex entry and it also appeared with the sparkles on my first cast on Route 3. I suppose I should properly try chain fishing to finally obtain the Shiny Magikarp that eluded me in Platinum a few years back.

Also been trying to MM for Chimchar in White 2, but it hasn't really gone so well. I've hit around 500 eggs and still no luck, and now that I've got an Italian-language Ditto in Y I might just postpone until the Pokebank is up. I think I may resurrect my Zorua MM hunt and try to mine Scyther hordes in the meantime on Y.

And before I forget, congrats to everyone on their shinies especially CPchris on the Nidoran and Voodoo on the hard-won Growlithe!

Friend Safari code exchanges are welcome as well. Mine's in the signature!

JONOxJONGHYUN

K-pop Addict
Just started MM'ing for a shiny Scatterbug. :3
Only at 8 eggs so far so I have a while to go, but this will be my first ever shiny hunt! :D

Skydra

Decided that I will make Hawlucha my first chain, though it disagrees with my sig. About 4 in and wishing that the FOV was wide enough to show more than 3 rows on the south part of the screen. Luckily, there are many prospective patches for Hawlucha.

Edit: WTF Articuno, thanks for breaking my chain...

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Thanks for everyone who gave me congrats for Balios. He's now a Zebstrika. I traded over a pokemon with Pokerus and the Power Ankelt and Bracer from my B2 to assist with his EV traning. I evolved a Patrat I caught earlier on White into Watchog to help get more encounters with Illuminate. I'm hunting at Pinwheel Forest for BQ #3- I'm hoping for Venipede most, followed by Petilil, Sewaddle then Pidove. If I do get a Male Shiny Pidove I'll keep him as a Pidove, as I already have a Shiny Male Unfezant. I'm at 403 RE's so far, and I don't know how many more I can get done tonight, as I have my High School graduation party to go to. Best of luck to everyone else, and congrats on all your shinies!
~RaichuArcanine~

Drakonekoshi

Ugh, how do people even get foreign Dittos on GTS? everyone was asking for the same Pokemon, including legendaries like Zygarde, I finally found one who wanted a fair trade and it said It's already been traded : / , I need to resume trying to get a shiny Mareep and also go back on my SS BQ.

So, I've been trying to hunt shinies in the friend safari lately and I really can't complain with what I got. I found a Growlithe first which was exactly what I was looking for. My second target was Lapras and I've yet to find it, but I did find a shiny Snover and shiny Sneasel while on the hunt, Lapras has proven to be elusive so far... But how can I complain with 3 shinies XD!! Oh and by the way I'd be willing to trade the Snover for another shiny or legendary or something, just throwing it out there. It has 31 iv's in Sp.Atk. and Speed if you're interested.
Growlithe
Sneasel
Snover

robot76

While ev training my joltik by killing wingulls on route 8, a horde of serviper attacked me and one of them was a shiny. Funny enough the only zangoose in the mix tried to kill it.

Charizard006

Beginning Trainer
Went into a Friend Safari looking for another Dragonair for my IV Breeding. Instead, I caught a Shiny Fraxure!! After 0 random encounter shinies the first 4 generations, I got 1 in 5th gen (Shiny Happiny on White 1), and 1 in 6th Gen!!

Sorry had to quote this. After getting over the shock of the shiny fraxure, I decided to go back to the friend safari and hunt again for Dragonairs for my IV Breeding. Caught a few and was about to head to the pokemon ceneter to check with the IV guy. I tried to make a straight dash from the top of the grass back to the gate on my bike, but got caught by a wild pokemon. That wild pokemon turned out to be a shiny Sliggoo!! I started laughing out loud; 2 Random Encounters within a couple of hours on X, after just 1 between between Crystal and Black 2, at least 10 years lol. Same friend safari spot too, i would go back to hunt for more Dragonairs and hope for another coincidental shiny, but i need some sleep lol.

Congrats to everyone elses' new shinies!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to prd797 on Horsea (and thanks for the congrats)!

--------------------

Here’s the live video of my shiny Nidoran :)

I can’t believe how fast my HeartGold BQ has been going o_O It’s now just one shiny away from being tied with my Platinum BQ that I started hunting for back in January :p Though I shouldn’t get too excited, since the first two RE’d shinies in my Platinum BQ were both super-fast, at just 101 REs and 369 REs respectively…So hopefully these quick early hunts aren’t a sign of a 30k+ hunt in the future >.<

And I realized that the fourth gym gives Surf, so even if I find a male Nidoran next, I’ll only have to wait until beating the gym to evolve him…So glad that I found a female Nidoran though over a Hoothoot >.< Noctowl wouldn’t be a terrible shiny to have, but there are definitely enough other pokemon I’d rather have right now.

I’m actually a little tempted to SR for Sudowoodo and one of the beasts, but I don’t think it’s worth it…I don’t think I really care enough about them to spend the time SRing them =\ It’d be nice if it wasn’t a now or never thing (not counting the Post E4 Method). I suppose maybe sometime far into the future, I could restart my SS game and go after them, but I feel a little attached to it, since it’s sort of my first real game =\

Good luck, everyone!

While in the safari looking for a shiny Charmeleon, I get.....a shiny Fletchinder. Decided to give it to my wife since she hasn't found a shiny this gen yet. I'm currently MMing for Gastly, and when I want a break hitting the friend safari. Although this safari shiny was my first, and I've prob spent close to 6 hours or so in there. Good luck all!

Aww, thats nice to give the shiny to your wife :3 Good luck with your shiny hunting :)