• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
@Primera Stark I think a lot of people would disagree with you there. I got 2 shiny Aipom in less than 24 hours, and on the Pokebeach forums, there are several members who have over 7 shinies at this point.

It's crazy and I love it. 12 shinies, not including the chain fishing ones. Those I put up on the GTS for legends and they're gone in minutes (decent ones like Magikarp, not **** like Qwilfish where if you look there are more shiny than regular lol). Then proceed to trade the legends for the more undesirable shinies (so far have gotten Pansear and Bunnelby this way).

So yeahhh. A living shiny pokedex is seemingly attainable at this point.

Primera Stark

Wicked like Gengar
@Primera Stark I think a lot of people would disagree with you there. I got 2 shiny Aipom in less than 24 hours, and on the Pokebeach forums, there are several members who have over 7 shinies at this point.

Unfortunately, not everyone else is as lucky as you are. And I could easily counter your argument by saying that I didn't get a single shiny in a week of Friend Safari until tonight.

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
Well, I have finally found my first shiny ever, I went to the FS (My brother's grass FS) and on my 3rd RE, there it was, a Shiny Tangela with a Relaxed nature. :D

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL
I found a shiny dusclops today :3 I evolved it into a dusknoir, it has a bashful nature and it's (new?) frisk ability ^.^
It complements my shiny klefki with it's magician ability pretty well xD

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Round 2 for shiny electrike has come to an end... 740 eggs hatched and no shinies. I'm settling in for what may be a long haul, going back to Route 3 for my next batch of eggs.

The videos of Gen VI shiny encounters are cool, though I find the sound of buttons clicking/being mashed to be REALLY REALLY ANNOYING and I usually can't finish watching the videos.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
I wish I had your stamina Cy, I already get fed up after 50 eggs of the same kind.. I'm sure your shiny puppy will show up soon!

My currently only Gen6 shiny is a RE, I haven't had much of a try at FS yet, I think that the general shiny rate has gone up, not just in FS.

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Day 1 with the friend safari - Shiny Pansage and Shiny Klefki with it's hidden ability!

Just started chain fishing at Azura bay, got a shiny Octillery.
So my Shiny Count Yesterday was: 2 Poliwhirls, 3 Gyrados, 2 Seakings and 2 Claunchers
Today is starting with an Octillery.

Also is it just me or is Route 21 annoying to chain for a shiny? I had a chain of 228 there and not a single shiny

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Hello everyone! I come with more shiny news on my espurr hunt!
but was phase 2 an espurr?
howaboutno.jpg

A beautiful red sword appears after 1795 REs and I am now officially a member of the shiny Honedge club.
I know it didn't take long but I'm really happy I got this even though it wasn't my target of course I'm staying
here until Espurr shines. I love all the shinies on this route so this makes it so much better. Hopefully Espurr is
next or I get something I don't already have. Gl everyone and never give up doing what you love! :)

Congrats on the Shiny Honedge, such a great shiny :)

Spent all of yesterday hatching and managed to hatch 170 eggs for a Shiny Honedge, and although i loved doing the MM for Shiny Amaura... I just cannot commit myself to another MM hunt so soon, when there are still so many shinies i can capture from Friend Safari's, as well as generally playing the game and doing some EV training as well...

So to that end, i'm going back to RE'ing for a Shiny Honedge... I can RE a lot more Honedge in an hour than i can hatch in a day(thank you magnet pull Nosepass)... so i can even out the odds so to speak very easily by doing around 8 hours of RE'ing a day.

Returning to a RE hunt for Shiny Honedge gives me the freeness to handle my berry growing when i please(and the ability to save without having to worry about releasing 150 eggs because my berries just grew and i wanna pick them now...)... It also allows me the ability to just up and leave for a Friend Safari hunt too.

----------

@Andy, i would say once you reach a 100 chain, just break it on purpose. I don't believe for a second that the rate increases exponentially as you climb a higher chain for chain fishing, heck i might even say don't bother going above 20-30 in a chain fishing session, simply because i've seen so many shinies appear for people between 5-20 reel-ins that i don't think it makes sense to go higher.

Last edited:

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
So many people hunting D: I feel like I'm getting left behind. Anyways I did a tiny bit of hunting (like 10 REs) to get to 70 REs for Corsola and Shuckle in the friend easari. I can't get myself into it. It was much easier for me to do REs in Black and White 2 with the doubles grass.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I'm going to work on completing my PokéDex a bit, so probably won't be finding any shinies (unless I get very lucky). If I'm going to MM for shinies I figured I might as well get an Oval Charm, and it would help for breeding for team building as well. And it would be a nice start towards National PokéDex completion if there's going to be Shiny Charm.

i've been madly random encountering at the friend saffari and no freaking shiny! for real.. more than 1300 RE+ (i know that not that much.. but comparing with other shinies that other hunters got..)
anyway, i've managed to catch another one by chaining..
feel free to check the video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqc87h7tK0w
Also, another one by fishing chain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV2O0z3JlCs

And congratulations for all recent shinies :)

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
So, how has everyone taken to these improved odds in the Friend Safari? I'm still forming an opinion, one minute I'm happy with it, the next I'm upset that they're not as rare as they used to be.

I'm annoyed, to be honest. Firstly, chain fishing has essentially killed off fishing REs. That Relicanth swarm you could hunt for in HGSS, when it was originally a 1% pokemon like Yanma was? Many others can get a shiny one in barely half an hour. This alone was one of the main reasons behind why I chose to MM Clauncher instead, because everyone and their mother could get one easily.
Secondly, starters can be found in the Friend Safari. Starters were some of the rarest shinies in past gens, but now some of them canbe found via REing when you once had to SR or MM for them. I'm happy that starters like Sinnoh and Unova starters are not encounterable because they retain the rarity they have had. They're the only starters that have to be obtained via MM or long SRs now.

tl;dr, I am disappointed that some rare shinies are now not-so-rare.

Anyways, I am currently hunting via MM for one of four different shinies: Bunnelby; Spritzee; Pancham; and Honedge. I've gathered 30 eggs for Bunnelby, Spritzee and Pancham so far, I just need a box of Honedge eggs now before I hatch my first round of eggs. As for Giratina, that's at about 16,550 SRs. I'm hoping that I can hit 17k before the end of next week, but I have the MM hunt to tend to first.

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Whoever's ingame name is Xavier, send a PM so I know why you're sending a trade request.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Just finished EV training my Shiny Quilladin... now a wonderful looking Shiny Chesnaught.

[img139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0010_zpsd7092657.jpg[/img139]

Also caught a Shiny Poliwhirl via CF.

[img139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0011_zps0b62bf00.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0012_zpsd7d01867.jpg[/img139]

I was looking for a Shiny Barboach, but this is just as nice, as i can keep it as a Shiny Poliwhirl and evolve my other Shiny Poliwhirl into Shiny Poliwrath.

I got my shiny fix for the day lol, so am going back to the Shiny Honedge hunt... and am going into the double grass on route 20 in Black 2 as sort of a side hunt, for when i feel like dual hunting.

It kinda sucks tbh that you need a 2nd 3DS or a 2DS console if you want to double hunt this generation... I realize that previous generations were no different in that regard, but its annoying as I already own a DSPhat, DSlite, DSi XL and a 3DS.... It's kinda crazy that i'll need to get another DS console to play Pokemon X, especially when the costs of these consoles, if you want a new one(I always buy new), are still at their premium.

Last edited:

Firewhale123

Shiny Groudon
Still SRing Mewtwo on Y. Over 4000 SRs.

Saw a couple sources claiming that they have seen shiny Mewtwo on the GTS, anyone want to confirm this?

Last edited:
Well guys, Im glad to see everyone else is getting shedloads of shinies from chain fishing, the friend safari and even a few old fashioned methods XD. But sadly after that FS gold rush i had last week, my game hasnt produced a Shiny since Frogadier and Trapinch, Im reing in a variety of Friend safaris, mixing it up to stay sane :D. I must be over 3000 res now..... But anyway Im hoping for either Larvesta or Braixen but now even Magmar would be nice! On a side note, does anyone else hate how the daycare guy doesnt call you now when a egg has been produced? After two boxes of Phantump i was done... Congrats to all and good luck to all!

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Day 4 of my shiny Lapras hunt, stopping here. Hope tomorrow doesn't give me another Snover or Bergmite.

BenYS

Shiny Hunting!
Day 4 of my shiny Lapras hunt, stopping here. Hope tomorrow doesn't give me another Snover or Bergmite.

I'm actually searching for a shiny Bergmite at the moment, don't know what the shiny even looks like at the moment but want to keep it as a surprise! Hoping it's a nice one...

I've been searching in this Ice Safari for a number of hours, and just caught a shiny Snorunt. Not really what I wanted, but it's a beautiful shiny! I'm staying in hoping for a Bergmite though.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Is it me or are collecting eggs in X & Y taking longer? :x I'm trying another attempt to MM a shiny, I never MM'd a shiny. This time I'm going for a smeargle which I will use to hunt shiny pokémon with.