• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
well guys over 400 eggs now and still hatching for my shiny golden keys im glad to see everyone is getting there shinies :) seems this gal is gunna have fun hatching eggs still XD Ill have alot of iv trading pokes after all this is done :p and also is that the odds for finding a shiny without the international parents?

shadowF

it seems I am getting no luck with the increased chances of shinnying though. I breed a ton of honedge,froakies and hawluchas and I am getting nothing. however all of my friends who have the game have encountered at least one shiny.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
it seems I am getting no luck with the increased chances of shinnying though. I breed a ton of honedge,froakies and hawluchas and I am getting nothing. however all of my friends who have the game have encountered at least one shiny.

don't feel bad im still mming my first shiny in x and y and i hatched like over 400 eggs right now...keep trying though im sure you will get it ;) and again what are the odds of using international parents though for mming anyone know?

Last edited:

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Interesting. So how does everyone feel about these odds? I'm personally ok with it, although it kinda sucks knowing that my shiny Klefki isn't 1/8192 lol.

Also, do we know the rates for MM or FS yet?

.....are we allowed to talk about it? I find these rules confusing....but I guess I'll post once and delete/edit if asked.

Basically no, I'm not a fan. I was fine with the FS and CF thing because I thought it was only in certain areas and would be balanced out by standard rates in the rest of the game. Having rates in every way reduced is just not cool though. 1/682 is kind of ridiculous too. Another one of the things that kept other methods cool was that you did not have complete control over the pokemon you obtained. But with already low MM rates even lower, it looks like everyone can basically make super shiny teams in no time at all now.

It's all also going to make my shiny card even more confusing...not having the BW2 shiny charm, I'd managed to keep it relatively simple. Now I'm gonna have to divide up REs in some way.

Not to mention, if the odds really are 1/4096 then where are my RE shinies?!

I'm gonna go away and cry in confusion now....

Ruru_star

Pokémon Breeder
Interesting. So how does everyone feel about these odds? I'm personally ok with it, although it kinda sucks knowing that my shiny Klefki isn't 1/8192 lol.

Also, do we know the rates for MM or FS yet?

I'm okay with it, it's not like they're SUPER common, still a bit difficult to get but a lot easier (a lot better for me, I have a joint disease so I'm happy that my hands won't hurt as much haha) Some things will be seen everywhere though, I know I'll be somewhat annoyed by all the shiny Goldeen/Qwilfish that will flood the GTS for example, but I can deal with it I hope.

blonde_1

To do RNGs: 0
2300 eggs now. This hunt isn't exactly being cooperative at this point, I really hope that it's at least a male Torchic that shines. And if anyone's curious, I have been tipping for a bit now. I don't know if anything's been figured out about that by now, but I figured I'd mention it. Not sure I have much else to add, so back to egg collecting I go.

Wow, really? So that means the 1545 eggs I've hatched in Y are over twice the odds now. Wow, my luck's worse than I thought. :/

I'm right there with ya... Over 2000 for fennekin now. Not really counting but I've checked through wifi battles every so often... Sigh

shadowF

what do you guys do with all of the eggs you guys hatch? just wondering.

Burakoru

Belly Slide
So; a friend asked me to go to his Friend Safari to see what his third pokemon was...I found out what it was, at least. :)

Shiny Klefki Obtained

Name: Jingle
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Brave
Date Met: 11/11/2013
Where: Friend Safari
Level Met: 30
Characteristic: Capable of taking hits

So yeah, that was a success.

Also, I'm' not sure if it counts since I can't take pictures, but..Community Hunt Complete?

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I'm right there with ya... Over 2000 for fennekin now. Not really counting but I've checked through wifi battles every so often... Sigh

keep going blonde im hatching like crazy too for my shiny klefki and it feels like ill be doing that too as well...

MM is ~1/682. Won't know Friend Safari until the ROM of the games is decrypted.

Now that is interesting..... I guess this mean youll be twice as unlucky of you hatch 3000 feebas eggs now :D. Im personally ok with these odds, it makes shinies less tedious to hunt without making them feel less special.
Anyway, im still slaving away in this Normal safari looking for an Eevee. No shinies since Loudred. Congrats on all of the recent shinies especially City on Honedge (future target!) and Dylz on Terrakion. Also gl all especially Gustavo and Cyberra on their long MMs!

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
MM is ~1/682. Won't know Friend Safari until the ROM of the games is decrypted.

seriously? well that motivates me a bit more to continue my archen hunt although i just passed the 682 mark earlier today. d: with the amount of archen i've released so far they'll never go extinct again. right now i'm at the 750th egg.

Last edited:

Pikapi

10 years lurking

I'm at around 1600 eggs right now. Since I batch hatched them I just fill 25 boxes I have, count them up and then release them. It's not the best method for it by far but it makes the trading reactions kind of funny and gives me plenty of fodder for wonder trade/GTS if I need it.

Ndayday

i louvre mitsy!!111
.....are we allowed to talk about it? I find these rules confusing....but I guess I'll post once and delete/edit if asked.

Basically no, I'm not a fan. I was fine with the FS and CF thing because I thought it was only in certain areas and would be balanced out by standard rates in the rest of the game. Having rates in every way reduced is just not cool though. 1/682 is kind of ridiculous too. Another one of the things that kept other methods cool was that you did not have complete control over the pokemon you obtained. But with already low MM rates even lower, it looks like everyone can basically make super shiny teams in no time at all now.

It's all also going to make my shiny card even more confusing...not having the BW2 shiny charm, I'd managed to keep it relatively simple. Now I'm gonna have to divide up REs in some way.

Not to mention, if the odds really are 1/4096 then where are my RE shinies?!

I'm gonna go away and cry in confusion now....

I don't think I'll ever understand why someone would actually dislike that they are easier to find. It doesn't make them any less valuable to me personally I guess. Long hunts are still possible and the length of a hunt is relative anyway. Someone that gets shinies within 300 encounters will start losing patience when they hit 1000 for example when in past games 1000 would be a good hunt. In that same vein, if you have shiny hunted in past games and are used to long hunts then these quick shinies might feel cheap, so I can understand that.
Guess I read that and compare it to the new IV mechanics or the Masuda Method. Does it being easier really make it terrible? It's not like every 10 encounters is a shiny.

2nd shiny Combee male. At this point I'll make it my mission to get a shiny female Combee.

dbApplejack

Whitney's Protege

Like the ones that weren't shiny?

For me and a lot of others, we probably use them for wonder trade most of the time.

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
I don't think I'll ever understand why someone would actually dislike that they are easier to find. It doesn't make them any less valuable to me personally I guess. Long hunts are still possible and the length of a hunt is relative anyway. Someone that gets shinies within 300 encounters will start losing patience when they hit 1000 for example when in past games 1000 would be a good hunt. In that same vein, if you have shiny hunted in past games and are used to long hunts then these quick shinies might feel cheap, so I can understand that.
Guess I read that and compare it to the new IV mechanics or the Masuda Method. Does it being easier really make it terrible? It's not like every 10 encounters is a shiny.

2nd shiny Combee male. At this point I'll make it my mission to get a shiny female Combee.

Argh.....this is becoming a discussion....

Um, see how you said 'it's not like very 10 encounters is a shiny'. For you, that would be too much then? But where do you draw the line? I think we can all agree that 1/10 would be too low. What about 1/100? 1/10 is obviously an exaggeration but for me this isn't too far from that I guess, even if that does sound silly. I don't mind shinies being a little easier....but I wasn't expecting there to be such a big jump. Half of the current rates, whatever they are, is a big jump.

But hey, maybe I will get used to them and never want to go back to 1/8192 odds! It is certainly hard to force yourself to do something the hard way when you know it can be done so much quicker and easier....I'm just a bit shocked atm.

Elena90

Gonna try and Masuda for an Eevee.. Never had the patience for that before, but now I got a 5 IV Japanese Eevee, male, so any offspring won't be useless once I breed it with my female 5 IV eevees :p
In pokemon X I already got two shinies in two days! Just random ones. One was a Gligar in a horde while EV training, while the other was a Braixen in the friend safari. Never got this lucky before! :O I haven't really mastered chaining, so I think MM will be better for me ;)

For whatever the rates are right now, I have no problem with the pokeradar rates. I've never g otten a shiny before chain 40 besides a Bunnleby I got without a chain of even 1. Which was by far the most amazing thing to me in my pokemon life. The pokeradar is actually pretty hard to do unless you are in a HUGE area with grass/flowers like on route 5. Route 5 is by far the easiest way to do it. I can't use the FS or MM because I am deployed and can't connect my 3DS to the internet. So I have to stick to the radar and normal rates that the game has. CF is also good but the pokemon you can get from that aren't the ones I want.