• Hi all
    Just a notice, we recently discovered that someone got into a moderator account and started hard deleting a load of key and legacy threads...around 150 threads have been lost dating back to 2007 and some weeks ago so we can't roll the forums back.
    Luckily no personal data could be accessed by this moderator, and we've altered the permissions so hard deleting isn't possible in the future
    Sorry for any inconvenience with this and sorry for any lost posts.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

juliuscoolio

I have been sorta lucky in chain fishing.

Firstly, Shiny Poliwhirl caught then evolved to shiny poliwrath
Secondly, Caught 2 shiny basculin (blue striped)
Thirdly, Caught Shiny Relicanth
Number Four, 2 Shiny red striped basculin used final gambit so i couldn't catch them,
Fifth, Shiny random Goomy when running around route 14,
Sixth, Shiny Dragalge,
and finally seventh, SHINY POLITOAD. Caught Route 19 when fishing. This one was super exciting because Politoad is like a 1% encounter rate.

Ginji

Hmm
Found my 3rd shiny gabite while looking for noibat, I'm having no luck finding shiny noibat...

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I'm personally happy at the increased odds for finding shinies. Only ever found 2 with the 1/8192 odds, my Zangoose in Ruby who I lost due to a save corruption and my Bulbasaur I found while resetting for a Sassy male one (still have him but I'm unsure whether or not to bring him to my X). The MM increase is especially good as that's my preferred way to get them. Doesn't really change the fact that my hunts always last way beyond 682 eggs. Still no shiny Zorua but I didn't get much time to hunt for it yesterday due to University work. I'll probably have more time today, unless my friend defeats the E4, in which case we'll do the Battle Maison together. I'm off tomorrow tho so I'll be spending the whole day MMing.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
Found my 3rd shiny gabite while looking for noibat, I'm having no luck finding shiny noibat...

Will you keep all your Gabites? I saw that mega Garchomp is pinkish purple so it's on my to-get list. If so, PM me?
I have a FS with just Gabite and Noibat so I may try there myself, I like safaries with just 2. XD

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
I don't know how I feel about the new odds.... It seems like Nintendo WANTS us to get shinies more often but I think they might have gone too far this time. They already gave away shiny legendary pokemon like the 3 legendary beasts and giratina, you got 3 shiny dragons for "free" in BW2, the shiny charm brought an enormous increase in odds already. so why would they make it any easier when it was already so much easier to find them then in 3th gen...

They even reintroduced the pokeradar in this gen so its not like we wont have the needs to get some nice shinies, but now it just doesnt feel right to me anymore. Now I seriously have the feeling tht all my hardworked shinies like Blaziken and Meganium were a waste of time.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
I don't know how I feel about the new odds.... It seems like Nintendo WANTS us to get shinies more often but I think they might have gone too far this time. They already gave away shiny legendary pokemon like the 3 legendary beasts and giratina, you got 3 shiny dragons for "free" in BW2, the shiny charm brought an enormous increase in odds already. so why would they make it any easier when it was already so much easier to find them then in 3th gen...

They even reintroduced the pokeradar in this gen so its not like we wont have the needs to get some nice shinies, but now it just doesnt feel right to me anymore. Now I seriously have the feeling tht all my hardworked shinies like Blaziken and Meganium were a waste of time.
I honestly think it's all fan-service, just like Charizard X being black. Keep your shinies in their original games and they're still awesome.

One thing that worries me though, will a shiny charm really be that rewarding for completing the national dex? This game is now pretty much as if you have a shiny charm.. Do you really want to improve your chances even more?

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
I honestly think it's all fan-service, just like Charizard X being black. Keep your shinies in their original games and they're still awesome.

One thing that worries me though, will a shiny charm really be that rewarding for completing the national dex? This game is now pretty much as if you have a shiny charm.. Do you really want to improve your chances even more?

lol... Yes... Yes i do want my chances increased more. :D

I want all the shinies i can get, it would be great to have an almost complete PokeDex of Shiny Pokemon.

Shiny Hunt Status Update...

I have left the sanctuary that is the Friend Safari, and am currently Horde Hunting for a Shiny Spinda.

It's horrendously common on Route 21 as a Horde Pokemon, so hopefully it will be the Pokemon to shine. If not, then i can only hope that it's Scyther rather than Swablu, as i already own a Shiny Swablu. Of course i'm not picky, anything works, but preference first ;)

I'll likely spend a few days at most doing this, as i've done a whole bunch of unintentional HH for a Shiny with no results with all the EV training i've done.

So by Saturday i'll be back at the Friend Safari to continue my hunt for a Shiny Ivysaur.

Last edited:

Ruru_star

Pokémon Breeder

I get the feeling that we might not get the shiny charm from completing the National Dex. Since the odds are so high already I mean.
But then again we might do, we can't be sure untill Poké Bank is out and we can send over, right?
They might've changed the % rate that the shiny charm increases or something as well.

If they do give us the shiny charm however, I can imagine the GTS being flooded with shinies. Which can be somewhat annoying if you're looking for all the normal ones to complete the dex. So while I do want a shiny charm (Breeding for near perfect shinies will be so much easier then) at the same time I'm somewhat worried, all these random passerbys offering me trades and wants to trade their shinies for legendaries and the GTS and it's riddicolus wanted list will probably be even worse.. x'D

On a side note, I am now at 780 eggs hatched! No shiny! These Gastly are stubborn xD
Going to fill 4 new boxes, so my total will be brought up to 900, have a feeling this hunt won't be over untill I've passed 1200 or something so I have quite some to do. But what would a shiny hunt for your favourite Pokémon be (Can't breed for Deoxys after all lol) if not a little challenging, the game trolls me with my shinies as well so I just have to keep on untill it gives up haha :p
Just hope it won't be a female one..if so I hve to keep on breeding @__@

Last edited:

PokeAmi

I just encountered a Shiny Eevee at route 10! I have been trying to get it for days, with no luck. Through MM, RE and the radar.
But finally! w/ the pokeradar on chain 5, in the grass. I used a hour just to find the Eevee there, since they are pretty rare in the grass.
Im really happy! My first succesfull pokeradar hunting in the newest game! :D

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Just found a Shiny Swablu in a Horde, figures after my last post lol

So the story behind this Shiny is rather tiresome, but i like storytelling when i feel like it :D

So my HH earlier had a second objective... namely evolving my Shiny Rufflett into a Shiny Braviary and also evolving my Shiny Oddish > Gloom > Bellossom. Both of which have now been completed.

Shiny Braviary = http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0039_zpsb45bc15d.jpg
Shiny Gloom = http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0038_zps21a818a6.jpg
Shiny Bellossom = http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0040_zpse96bbfba.jpg

After doing this, i realized that i had quite a nice All-Shiny team in the making, i just needed to grab some heart scales to teach my Bellossom Leaf Blade & Sweet Scent.... Once that was taken care of, i went straight back to Route 21 & proceeded to bypass the red flowers & head for the upper corner of purple flowers, out of what i will now say was sheer instinct, and the first Horde encounter... BAM!! Shiny Swablu.

She has a decent enough IV spread... 28-31 atk/28-31 sp.atk and 27-30 sp.def... I'll be going with Sp.Attack & Sp.Def EV training, as both locations(Frost Cavern & Reflection Cave) have Shiny Pokemon i would love to obtain. So i'm off to both of those locations to do some HH EV training. :D

[img139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0041_zps24be1242.jpg[/img139]

Dex = http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0042_zps5289582f.jpg
Summary = http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/HNI_0043_zps23ea69c8.jpg

Last edited:

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
I left the FS for a quest that I have to make. A quest to reclaim the 4 lost shinies. I will keep it a secret untill I have reclaimed one of them, wish me luck.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
I left the FS for a quest that I have to make. A quest to reclaim the 4 lost shinies. I will keep it a secret untill I have reclaimed one of them, wish me luck.

Oodles of luck to you! *showers with lucky dust that totally isn't itching powder*

I'm going to hunt for a shiny Timid Larvesta for a friend, a male shiny Wooper and possibly others that are pink and available in FS. So far it's never taken longer then 500 REs in FS.
Oh, and get myself a decent Kirlia.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
I am happy about the new shiny rates tbh. I don't even see how people are mad at this. Not many of us have the time to dedicate ourselves to shiny hunt and soft reset legendary pokemon and the like. I hatched about 900 Deino last gen using mm and never got a single shiny. I was fortunate enough to get the shiny event Hydreigon from a friend, but in the end all the mming was a waste of time. Not everybody will have shinies at all.

I think people are overreacting.

Quils

Strange Creature
Congrats on your recent shinies and good luck to master of murkrow c:

I decided to do some PokéRadar chaining and finally got my first chain of 40 in the new games. For about the first half of the chain I wasn't serious and I was just running into risky patches of grass... but I eventually got to a high enough number so I started to be serious about it.
Anyways I already caught a shiny female Ducklett from this chain so I'm pretty happy. I'm still on the chain but right now I'm resting a bit, I may try to reset the radar later to get more shinies and hopefully be able to give some of them to my friends c:

EDIT:
Posting a 2nd time on this page, purely because its pivotal information in my opinion.

Once you get a shiny from your chain, apparently the odds reset back down to the original 1/4096 at the start of a chain. You have to build the chain up again if you want to just sit there and reset the radar every 50 steps with some decent odds, otherwise you're resetting the pokeradar essentially at a chain of 1.

Wow... seriously? That sucks... but oh well, I got my shiny.

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Congrats on your recent shinies and good luck to master of murkrow c:

I decided to do some PokéRadar chaining and finally got my first chain of 40 in the new games. For about the first half of the chain I wasn't serious and I was just running into risky patches of grass... but I eventually got to a high enough number so I started to be serious about it.
Anyways I already caught a shiny female Ducklett from this chain so I'm pretty happy. I'm still on the chain but right now I'm resting a bit, I may try to reset the radar later to get more shinies and hopefully be able to give some of them to my friends c:

Posting a 2nd time on this page, purely because its pivotal information in my opinion.

Once you get a shiny from your chain, apparently the odds reset back down to the original 1/4096 at the start of a chain. You have to build the chain up again if you want to just sit there and reset the radar every 50 steps with some decent odds, otherwise you're resetting the pokeradar essentially at a chain of 1.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who got a shiny

Got a shiny Skiddo. Was taking a break from hatching Tyrunt eggs so I wanted to stop at Hotel Richismme to make money. On my way there my first encounter on Route 5 was a golden Skiddo.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I am happy about the new shiny rates tbh. I don't even see how people are mad at this. Not many of us have the time to dedicate ourselves to shiny hunt and soft reset legendary pokemon and the like. I hatched about 900 Deino last gen using mm and never got a single shiny. I was fortunate enough to get the shiny event Hydreigon from a friend, but in the end all the mming was a waste of time. Not everybody will have shinies at all.

I think people are overreacting.

What? Overreacting? No. I, and others, don't like the increased odds because now there will be oodles of shiny hunters who whine and moan after 2,000 REs or barely 200 Eggs (now, you know who you are), when back in 3/4/5 Gens, you would be lucky to get a shiny in 4,000! Impatient shiny hunters annoy me the most, and I can guarantee that I am not the only one. This is why the odds increasing is annoying, I cannot stand impatient hunters at all.

Dangertrout

Not sure if anyone has considered this, but there isn't really any need to grind in the new game.
Which means that if you were playing the game normally (not shiny hunting) you would have even less chances of finding a shiny than in previous games, simply because you're killing less wild pokemon before getting to the E4.
In that case, it would make sense to change the odds to match the reduced number of encounters expected during an average playthrough.
After all, they design the game for people who play the story, not for the hardcore shiny hunters :p

My stance is still: If you don't like the odds in the new games, just hunt in the old games.