• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

silver2010

Shiny zoroark from poke radar! so happy now I just need a shiny in the safari to complete getting 1 every way this gen lol

dan2point5

Pretty excited, just got my first ever 3rd gen shiny. The last few days I've been hunting in the game corner on fire red buying 19 Clefairy at a time. The 56th Clefairy of the day today it decided to shine! First time I've gotten to see the sparkles of 3rd gen in person. I love it!

Congrats and good luck guys :)

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Hey! Not sure if this is the place to talk about it, but I just wanted to let people know about this amazing new project at smogon, where they've discovered the mechanics behind what makes eggs hatch shiny, and the more people who join and add their shiny value numbers to the database, the better it will be! I can link people to the thread if needed but I won't post it here in case that gets me in trouble for some kinda rival site rule type thing :p

I can personally vouch for having tried the software and just had my first match up and got my shiny Eevee c:

We are well aware of this exploit, and i honestly cannot see most here wanting to use it.

Despite all of our disagreements over how we feel about certain methods/odds, the one thing i think most here will agree on is that Shiny Pokemon should be obtained legitimately through time and effort and solely within what the confines of the game permit.

This instachecker uses a fake GTS website to tell you your shiny value and the shiny value of the egg you submit for data analysis, which is most definitely outside of what the confines of the game permit.

Shiny Pokemon shouldn't be obtained with a 100% chance, unless the game permitted that to occur already, such as G/S Gyarados, B2/W2 Gible/Dratini/Haxorus.

I'll probably get some backlash over that opinion from those that use the InstaCheck program, but i don't care.

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
Eeep... caught a new shiny... and I've got only 2 badges...

It's merely a test actually... and I could fish it w/ old rod at 13th bite after several attempts (highest chain 20 something)...

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-11-17152524_zps9ec356df.jpg[/IMG139]

Summary and nature...

Also...

My shiny Greninja n Charizard... (havent got mega ring yet]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-11-17091512_zps42789772.jpg[/IMG139]

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Aurorellis/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-11-17130842_zps016d8862.jpg[/IMG139]

I'm gonna hunt shiny Amaura now to put in my team...

cryuel

I'm starting to doubt MM in XY; after 1200+ eggs, still no Shiny Honedge.. :(
Guess I just have to be persistent.

EDIT: On that note, if I traded my US parents to a German game to hatch a German offspring (on the German game) and then hatch the German offspring with the US parent on my game, that still counts as MM right? Worried that my Secret ID or something like that might prevent it from being MM.

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
I'm starting to doubt MM in XY; after 1200+ eggs, still no Shiny Honedge.. :(
Guess I just have to be persistent.

EDIT: On that note, if I traded my US parents to a German game to hatch a German offspring (on the German game) and then hatch the German offspring with the US parent on my game, that still counts as MM right? Worried that my Secret ID or something like that might prevent it from being MM.

I assume that emboldened part was meant to say "then "Breed" the German offspring with the US parent"... not hatch correct?...

--------------

So long as the parents are of different regions, it doesn't matter that they're offspring breeding together or anything.

However, does the German offspring have a foreign marker on it though, indicating that it is indeed a German Pokemon?

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I assume that emboldened part was meant to say "then "Breed" the German offspring with the US parent"... not hatch correct?...

--------------

So long as the parents are of different regions, it doesn't matter that they're offspring breeding together or anything.

However, does the German offspring have a foreign marker on it though, indicating that it is indeed a German Pokemon?

I think the question was, if Cryuel trades two pokemon from a US game to a German game and breeds them, then hatches the egg in the German game, will the newly hatched pokemon be considered foreign and be useable for MMing.

cryuel

I think the question was, if Cryuel trades two pokemon from a US game to a German game and breeds them, then hatches the egg in the German game, will the newly hatched pokemon be considered foreign and be useable for MMing.

Yes, exactly, sorry I wrote hatch instead of breed. Obviously MMing is getting to me at the moment, haha.
It is considered "foreign" in that case, correct?

Jessara

Shiny Hunter
Got the 5th shiny for my Pokemon X BQ earlier tonight after around 3420 REs :D It is a pokemon I wasn't expecting to shine as its appearance rate is quite rare and I hadn't seen many appear during this hunt.

Pics :)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Anakari/My Shinies/photo48_zps842dc588.jpg~original
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Anakari/My Shinies/photo47_zpse878355d.jpg~original
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Anakari/My Shinies/photo44_zps30976439.jpg~original
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/Anakari/My Shinies/photo45_zps61ad2590.jpg~original

Circuit is the first shiny of a hunt I'm doing on the side too, get a shiny of each Pikachu-like pokemon. Already got him trained and I'm keen to get into getting the 6th shiny I think will be a Klefki, or at least that might be my target.

Anyway that's it for this post. Congrats to everyone who has found a new shiny since my last post :) Good luck on your hunts!

EDIT: 6th BQ shiny hunt will take place on Route 14 with Goomy as the primary target. Klefki will most likely be my 7th target.

Last edited:

Evie Snow

I keep asking noob questions but people here seem friendly enough and happy to answer them so... here we go. (':

How are people finding out the exact IVs of their shiny Pokémon? I see a lot of people posting about finally getting their shiny (Congrats to everyone btw!) and also posting what their nature and IVs are. Now I'm not big on trying for perfect IVs or anything, not my thing, but I am currently MMing for a modest shiny Vulpix (Hopefully also female with Drought if I'm lucky.) but I would have no idea how to check for the exact IVs it has once I get it. I only know of that guy in the Pokémon Centre who can tell you which IVs are 'perfect' and so on. Sorry again for sounding like an absolute noob to most of you. D':

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
I just got a shiny Braixen in the Friend Safari! It's a pretty shiny for sure!

Nature: Sassy
Ability: Magician (HIDDEN ABILITY!)
Perfect IVs: Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense.

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
I keep asking noob questions but people here seem friendly enough and happy to answer them so... here we go. (':

How are people finding out the exact IVs of their shiny Pokémon? I see a lot of people posting about finally getting their shiny (Congrats to everyone btw!) and also posting what their nature and IVs are. Now I'm not big on trying for perfect IVs or anything, not my thing, but I am currently MMing for a modest shiny Vulpix (Hopefully also female with Drought if I'm lucky.) but I would have no idea how to check for the exact IVs it has once I get it. I only know of that guy in the Pokémon Centre who can tell you which IVs are 'perfect' and so on. Sorry again for sounding like an absolute noob to most of you. D':

There is an IV checker on the main site. You just fill in the information that you know about your pokemon. The more info you have, the better. The IV checker guy in Kiloude City gives you a statement about your pokemon, the IV checker asks you about this so you should check with that in game character first.

Artnerd

Insane Artist

Serebii has an IV calculator in which you enter the pokemon, nature, EVs if you gave them and it's level and stats. It uses that data to calculate the IVs. You usually then also enter the data of the next level and then next level, ect ect to get the exact IVs. If you want to know the IVs of hatched pokemon, it gets trickier since lv 1 is so hard to get good estimates unless they are either 31 or 0. Go on a walk with your DS and buy loads of rarecandies on the GL with the pokemiles. Just save before you test and you can use them infinitely.

Tina

Boy Skylark
I got someone to trade me a 5IV Korean Tyrunt with Dragon Dance and all the Fangs as egg move so Im gonna go for a shiny Tyrunt as my next MM target, the actual pokemon is a monster during online anyways so I might add it to my team if it ends up with good IVs. ;>

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all the recent shinies! I've reached 9,308 SRs for Lugia now, but I'm not discouraged yet! Hopefully it'll shine soon, though.

Good luck to everyone hunting!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Serebii has an IV calculator in which you enter the pokemon, nature, EVs if you gave them and it's level and stats. It uses that data to calculate the IVs. You usually then also enter the data of the next level and then next level, ect ect to get the exact IVs. If you want to know the IVs of hatched pokemon, it gets trickier since lv 1 is so hard to get good estimates unless they are either 31 or 0. Go on a walk with your DS and buy loads of rarecandies on the GL with the pokemiles. Just save before you test and you can use them infinitely.

Or you can go to the Battle Institute in Lumiose City which auto levels your pokemon to level 50.

------------

I don't know why, but it seems that every time I MM for a shiny Eevee it has to be stubborn lol. My first one went over 1k eggs and my 2nd went over 2k eggs. Right now I'm at 900 eggs for the third one but I have a feeling this hunt is going to get much longer. Hopefully it doesn't go over 2k! I'm just so eager to have a gorgeous shiny Sylveon that I'm a bit impatient atm lol. I'm still going strong for Moltres but I'm not expecting anything soon right now.

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone.

dark1raven3

Pokemon breeder
This aron is being really stubborn. Started my hunt on the 11th and still no shine o well I'm determined to get a shiny aron for my boyfriend and won't give up till I get it :D. unless it gets to Xmas then I'm starting a pokemon Y nuzlocke so my hunt will be on hold if that happens lol

( never tried a nuzlocke so I thought why not when I get my y version since I'm gonna be resetting it after I get all the megastones and trade them to x anyway)

After I get this shiny aron ill get back to breeding pokemon for my team before I start my next hunt but I do love shiny honedge so I might go for that in the future.

Anyway good luck to everyone on their hunts and congrats to everyone who got a shiny :D ill update if I get my aron.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
Or you can go to the Battle Institute in Lumiose City which auto levels your pokemon to level 50.
That's only available until after you beat the game, the one I explained also works before.

Gold Charmander

Wild Charmander
Around 590 eggs and still haven't got a shiny ferroseed getting slightly discouraged but I'll keep going until I’ve hatched 1000 at least.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Everyone... is getting... shiny Braixen... 8(
Still going strong with that Braixen hunt, although today I have a lot of work to do, so I won't keep this pace much longer... Hopefully it comes soon enough!
Congratulations on the latest shinies and good luck everyone!