• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Artnerd

Insane Artist
I've just traded my Shiny Teddiursa for a Blazikenite so that once Cyberra finally gets herself a 3DS and a copy of X/Y She won't have to miss out on having a Mega Blaziken. ^-^
(hoping she'll read this far back into the board, SURPRISE!)

Going for Espurr again, this time by MM.

Scrufox86

Oh yay I am back again because.... I just finally captured my shiny Carvanha! She is Lax nature though... oh well I am not using her competitively anyway. I got her on chain 62. Right now I am off to try get a shiny Corphish. Just a question about Chinchou while I am here, now I know suction cups is needed to keep chains going but will a static pokemon in second postion count for making Chinchou appear more or would I have to switch the suction cups pokemon out of first position?

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
I have (yet another...) question for you more seasoned shiny hunters out there. I find watching you all hunt for so many different shinies rather inspirational and I have to wonder, how many of you go for perfect or close to perfect IVs while attempting to hatch shinies using the MM? All I can say is it must be tricky. Or do a lot of you just kinda go for natures/abilties and see what the IVs end up looking like afterwards?

I've never been a huge fan of IV breeding myself, as I'm not a competitive player, but would personally rather still have a shiny with a good nature. So I use a Japanese Ditto and a parent holding an Everstone. What about you guys?

Never bothered with IV breeding my shinies (actually, don't think I've even checked many of their IV's) and I tried once using the Everstone in White (before it was 100% guaranteed) and didn't get the nature I was after. I like the surprise of not knowing what the nature is and seeing as a good chunk of my shinies exist as trophies anyway, it doesn't matter overall.

Update on my hunts. I alternated between HH on Route 15 and REing in the Pidgey/Hoothoot FS for a bit, because it kept starting to rain on Route 15. ._. I ended up switching to Dangertrouts' FS because as well as Pidgey it has Swanna and Hawlucha so a bit more variety. I managed to get to 495 encounters by HH and 250 encounters total in the two FS before I changed my mind.

I spent a bit of time levelling my shiny Noctowl in the Pidgey/Swanna/Hawlucha FS and finally decided to pick up my old bird shiny collection. During 4th. Gen I successfully collected all the bird shinies, one shiny to each species with the exception being Torchic/Piplup lines (not MMing/SRing three each of those. I don't care for the evolutions either). I caught most of the bird shinies in 5th. Gen although I wasn't intentionally trying to catch them all(just got lucky with some RE hunts).

So I've decided to restart that collection- I was only aiming to catch Spritzee and Hawlucha so I'd have a shiny from each family, but writing this made me think screw it, I may as well do it properly. xD So, shinies that I'm missing right now:
- Pidove
- Tranquil
- Archeops (probably not going to count this because ehhhhh, and really don't like the 3D model.)
- Ducklett
- Vullaby
- Fletchling
- Fletchinder
- Spritzee

(I guess I'm missing Tornadus Therian as well, but that's not going to happen. )

After 45 minutes of fun, I managed to get a Japanese Spritzee and capture a female in a Luxury Ball in my game a couple of days ago. I've done 135 eggs so far, will do another hour once I finish this post. Once Spritzee hatches, I intend to go back to the FS and level Noctowl and Spritzee there and hopefully I'll run into a shiny Hawlucha before they're both L100! Given I need shinies from Unova, I might have a go triple hunting in doubles grass or on that bridge for Ducklett.

Tl;dr: Bird shinies good, must get all bird shinies

Congrats on new shinies. :) Good luck hunting!

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
After over a week I finally managed to hatch my shiny Zorua. He's Timid natured with 31/X/31/31/X/X with Sucker Punch and Extrasensory as Egg moves. A bit disappointed that he didn't get the max speed as both parents had it but he has either a 24 or 25 IV which is workable. Going to hatch the rest of the eggs before EV training him so I may get another but, as this one took forever, I'm not expecting to. Hopefully I do get another with both max speed and special attack so I can keep my current as a Zorua.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

Growlie19

I was training my shiny Victreebel in a Normal Friend Safari when a pink Dunsparce appeared! I named him Driller. He has a Sassy nature and is mischievous, with his best stats being HP and Special Attack. Two shinies in the span of a day. Only happened once before with a random Tangela and Drowzee the same night.

kayteemae

Hit To Key
Congrats on all the latest shinies everyone!

Currently have three boxes of Amaura eggs to hatch tonight, not sure how many I've hatched already but I thought I'd try storing some and then hatching later to save time!

Scrufox86

Oh my... I am back again. Well after yesterday being a disaster when trying to get my chain fishing targets.... I now have gotten my shiny Corphish! on chain 100! I sort of knew something was going to happen on chain 100... I don't know why but anyway I finally have shiny Corphish. I had been trying to MM one with Dragon Dance on gen V games but never had any luck.

Congratulations to all new shinies and good luck to all shiny hunters.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Just an update on my hunt status, no Shiny Honedge has appeared as yet, but perseverance is always the name of Shiny Hunting.

Last edited:

yuuva

Fox Trainer
shinykatie_zps140b2077.jpg

So I just got my first shiny in my whole life!! It's a beautiful female drought Vulpix with gentle nature and perfect IV's in Atk and Spd.

I've been casually masuda breeding the past few days, and I must have gotten extremely lucky; She hatched on the 121st egg!! Don't give up, breeders!

Scrufox86

Oh wow.. I am having such luck. I decided to go to route 19 to use super rod for shiny Whiscash and on chain 15 I found one. To be honest the shiny sprite isn't as clear as gen V shiny sprite. However I now have it to add to my collection. I was thinking about chain fishing there for a politoed but I have two shiny poliwhirl and two shiny poliwag so I don't need to now. Right so now I think I will try either route 8 for Qwilfish and Starmie or Ambrette town for Relicanth and Seadra.

Once again congratulations to all new shinies and good luck to all shiny hunters.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Oh yay I am back again because.... I just finally captured my shiny Carvanha! She is Lax nature though... oh well I am not using her competitively anyway. I got her on chain 62. Right now I am off to try get a shiny Corphish. Just a question about Chinchou while I am here, now I know suction cups is needed to keep chains going but will a static pokemon in second postion count for making Chinchou appear more or would I have to switch the suction cups pokemon out of first position?

You can only have one Pokemon with a first-in-the-party ability, unfortunately. I would love to chain fish with a Syncher, but you just can't do it. You can either have Suction Cups or Static, but not both.

Wow... my luck is quite good in getting shinies. I just hatched my shiny Eevee in my 16th egg. Now I'm on the process of hatching the other 84 eggs, hahahahaha.

Keep it up guys! And once again, thanks for motivating me on my shiny hunt and of course, congrats on your respective shinies. ^_^

mychemro

Dragon Trainer
While trying to fill up my pokedex this morning (to no avail) I managed to stumble upon a Shiny Gyaradose. I almost didnt notice it haha.

Im MMing for my shiny High Jump Kick and Blaze Kick Riolu now :D

Haxle99

Typhlosion Trainer
Found a shiny Pancham, bashful nature and perfect hp and speed ivs in the friend safari. I was looking for a shiny Breloom though.

Coileach

Just reached 14 boxes of hatched gastly- And am experiencing a resurge in enthusiasm and optimism :)
I hope I get it soon as I'm already imagining my next hunt- dewgong :)

IndigoAir

Myth Hunter
I found a shiny Miltank and Tentacool in Y version without looking. Since then haven't had any luck fishing for a shiny Staryu. Also wouldn't mind a shiny Ekans or Gastly.

Xionea

Half a centaur
So about 2 hours after I hatched my shiny Honedge, or about 20 minutes in-game, I found a shiny Drifblim in a Friend Safari I was checking.

So now I have 4 shinies in Y, and they're ALL ghosts...