• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats everyone!
And wow! Congrats especially to Cyberra! ^u^

Anyways... I just reached about 114 eggs for Zorua, might clean out my box's after i fill another complete box so I can keep score. I'm running out of box space >.<.

TheShinyMedicham

Grass Trainer
Congrats to all new shinies!
After I heard the rumours about increased chances in Friend Safari, I went there to hunt. I've had 2446 encounters. All the reports I've seen have been under 1000. For anybody who's gotten shinies there, how long did it take you? What's your longest and shortest? And what would you estimate the chances are?

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
After I heard the rumours about increased chances in Friend Safari, I went there to hunt. I've had 2446 encounters. All the reports I've seen have been under 1000. For anybody who's gotten shinies there, how long did it take you? What's your longest and shortest? And what would you estimate the chances are?

In my experience, there has to be something specific that influences the shiny rate in the friend safari.
I have found 12 or so shinies in the safari that were all found within the first 100 encounters, heck probably within the first 50 encounters to be honest. I even managed 2 shinies within 10 minutes. I have also spent several straight hours of searching, over 1000 re's a day, for several days in a row with nothing to show for it.
This is just my personal experience, other people will most likely have different experiences.

TheShinyMedicham

Grass Trainer
In my experience, there has to be something specific that influences the shiny rate in the friend safari.
I have found 12 or so shinies in the safari that were all found within the first 100 encounters, heck probably within the first 50 encounters to be honest. I even managed 2 shinies within 10 minutes. I have also spent several straight hours of searching, over 1000 re's a day, for several days in a row with nothing to show for it.
This is just my personal experience, other people will most likely have different experiences.

Strange how you had stages of lots of luck and then nothing...

Anyway, at the 2500th encounter I switched Safaris and Shiny Marowak after 19 encounters, 2519 total!

Ruru_star

Pokémon Breeder
Congrats everyone on your new shinies :D
Saw a video on youtube yesterday of someone who got 2 shinys in a row in the friend safari, makes me tempted to do some safari hunting again. I have a certain Dark Safari with stuff I want~

No shiny updates from me though, my Gligar egg count hit 330, which isn't a lot... but most of the offspring had horrible IV's (No attack or no def..). Managed to get together 12 Outstanding Gligars with 5IV's and having a debate with myself if to just regular breed for a shiny or hope I can find someone with a non-english game to breed one for me so the MMing has a good outcome.
I mean...1/4000-something isn't as much as 1/8000 so I might try for a regular shiny breeding... gotta get that Gligar x__x

May the luck shine down on you all :D

mychemro

Dragon Trainer

Im almost positive the chances are decreased in the Safari. I went 4 years from my last shiny (wishcash in platinum) and then I found a Shiny Sliggoo ^.^ For the Sliggoo I searched about a day and a half for it. Then 2 weekends ago I was lucky enough to bag 4 shinys in 3 days! I got a Magmar after about 40 minutes of searching, then no more than 20 minutes later I found another shiny Sliggoo. Then the following day after about 4 hours of searching I found a shiny Braixen. Then I searched a total of 12 hours after that until I found my shiny Frogadier.
So from my experiences, the times can differ from a few minutes to well over a day. It certainly is easier than MMing but if you're searching for a single pokemon out of the 3 be prepared for 1 of the other 2 to show up.

Good luck searching :D

Milennin

*hugs Absol*

The longest for me is ~10 hours of RE'ing in the Safari without encountering a shiny. Not sure how many REs that is. Shortest is on the first encounter.

Rsr57

I don´t know if this is the right place to ask this but i´m trying to start MM and i have all the basic and obvious elements (hatch power, oval stone, flame body talonflame, different country pokemon...).
After that, what is the best (fastest)way, in your experience to hatch eggs? Hatch 5 eggs whole eggs and then take other 5...etc? Release the pokemon one by one once they hatch to have always five eggs? Keep storing eggs for not "losing" them? Thanks.

mychemro

Dragon Trainer
I don´t know if this is the right place to ask this but i´m trying to start MM and i have all the basic and obvious elements (hatch power, oval stone, flame body talonflame, different country pokemon...).
After that, what is the best (fastest)way, in your experience to hatch eggs? Hatch 5 eggs whole eggs and then take other 5...etc? Release the pokemon one by one once they hatch to have always five eggs? Keep storing eggs for not "losing" them? Thanks.

I usually just stock up on 5 then use hatch power then after they hatch I wondertrade them. Another way i might try is stock up on a boxfull then hatch them all

maldoror

Just found a shiny Manectric five encounters into an electric friend safari. I found a shiny Ninetales on Sunday morning and a shiny Ariados while re-watching the Doctor Who 50th on Saturday evening. It's been a good few days.

Dangertrout

Next months CH, how about an X/Y contest? Most shinies caught in one of the following:
Friend Safari
Hordes
Chain Fishing
Masuda Method Breeding

I would need an assistant to tally up the numbers and provide me with the data every week so I can post the top 5 in the OP.

What does everyone think?

PokeAmi

Congratulations to all shinies :D

I just encountered and caught a shiny Female Shelgon at Friend Safari :)
So now I have caught a Shiny Emolga, -Sneasel and -Shelgon at the Friend Safari now, I feels that low compared to people here saying they almost get shinies all the time in the Friend Safari xD

And my bad luck from BW2 MasudaMethod seems to have infected my Y game too, I have probably hatched over 10.000+ eggs now together and still no luck with shiny popping out :/
Well, Im not giving up. Just have to continue!!

Good luck with the hunts guys and gals! ;)

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter

Strange how you had stages of lots of luck and then nothing...

But that's just how odds are. Its pretty obvious that the FS has an increased rate of encountering shinies but that doesn't mean you'll get quick shinies all the time, there's bound to be some anomalies.

I don't really think there's a best/fastest method, just do what's comfortable to you.

Next months CH, how about an X/Y contest? Most shinies caught in one of the following:
Friend Safari
Hordes
Chain Fishing
Masuda Method Breeding

I would need an assistant to tally up the numbers and provide me with the data every week so I can post the top 5 in the OP.

Seems interesting, but options 1-3 will most likely get the most votes and I don't use any of those methods for shiny hunting. =[

----------------------

I have already started MMing for Helioptile and have hatched 85 eggs so far. I also decided to stick to my Moltres hunt since there's not any hunts I'm interested in on my other games.

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Friend Safari
Hordes
Chain Fishing
Masuda Method Breeding

I do not like that idea. I was kinda hoping for shiny starter or frost cave pokémon. Some people have more time then other people. Some people have two games and some one game. People with badge quests can't do friend safari, and chain fishing is the most easiest thing. And there are more shiny hunting methods, soft reset, random encounter, pokéradar. Pokéradar is even harder then chain fishing. Still, my opinion.

Been lazy today and HH'd in route 7, no luck though. Will be going to MM for a shiny Helioptile soon, well attempt. I do not like masuda method at all, takes to much time and have to focus a lot on it.

LLR

Vivillon Trader
I do not like that idea. I was kinda hoping for shiny starter or frost cave pokémon. Some people have more time then other people. Some people have two games and some one game. People with badge quests can't do friend safari, and chain fishing is the most easiest thing. And there are more shiny hunting methods, soft reset, random encounter, pokéradar. Pokéradar is even harder then chain fishing. Still, my opinion.

I agree with this opinion.

Taylor516

Finally, after over a month of breeding and over 5,000 eggs hatched, my shiny Vulpix hatched last night! I named her Sionnach, she was the last egg in my last batch for the night, I am thrilled! She was completely worth the extensive breeding :)
I then put my next MM couple, a pair of Dedenne, in the Day Care and will start hatching their eggs later today :) Hopefully this MM hunt won't take as long!

Today was a good day.

I was on my way to school on my DS, hatching my Caterpie, and all of a sudden, it finally shone after 1,101 eggs.

nvpsh0.jpg

Dubbed Mothra Leo after the male Mothra variant from the Rebirth of Mothra series.

Boy, this was a long hunt. Time to level up this baby and the shiny Benga's Gible (I released my Garchomp when I saw Shiny Mega Garchomp) then I'll start my hunt for Charmander. Or Yanma. Or Squirtle. Nah, I'll go for Charmander.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer

For all my current shinies, I collected five eggs from the daycare man and each time one hatched I deposited it and picked up a new one from him. Once I'd hatched 35 (one box+5 in party), 65 (2 boxes+party) or very, very rarely 95 (....yeah), I added it to my total and then switched the game off to keep my playtime down and because I'm not wasting time releasing all those non-shinies.

For my Spritzee, the first 35 were hatched by collecting 35 eggs then hatching them all. Since then, I've switched to getting five eggs in my party, hatching them all, depositing them and collecting a new five.

In terms of time taken, collecting 35 eggs and then hatching seemed to take me a little longer (we're talking about ten minutes more, give or take). The other two methods seem to take roughly the same time; about an hour for 35, though obviously things like Hatching Power and egg hatch cycles will play a part. It's all down to personal preference really, I like the current method I'm using and will keep on doing that.

Friend Safari
Hordes
Chain Fishing
Masuda Method Breeding

Not (intentionally) planning to take part, but I'd knock Chain Fishing off the options. I got 20 shinies within a couple of days with that and for a month long contest, it'd probably be damned hard to keep track of everything, unless everybody taking part was in charge of tallying their own shinies in one post or something. Also it's a lot more restrictive in terms of Pokémon available which would probably make posts/hunts blur into one if everybody was taking part. :p

Anyway, I'm up to 280 Spritzee eggs with no luck so far. I also booted up my DS Lite and DS XL and had a go triple hunting with my 3DS, all in fifth gen. Took me a little while to get into a rhythm but it was kind-of working at the end. I was in doubles grass on Route 3 in White/Black (40% Pidove) and in the doubles grass outside Victory Road in White 2 (80% Tranquil). I hunted for an hour and seeing as I have some DVD's I want to watch over the next few days I might focus on that for a little bit. Easier than trying to read things on the internet while controlling three systems!

Congrats on new shinies. :) Good luck on the hunts!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Friend Safari
Hordes
Chain Fishing
Masuda Method Breeding

Echoing the thoughts on Chain Fishing, though would it be possible to do all the other three at once? I know it would require more volunteers, maybe one or two to keep track of each kind of hunt, but it seems possible. We could also just hunt with a specific theme, but "Ice types," we did last year, I believe, and "Hunt in a snow-themed area" seem rather cliché.

Since this is the end of the year, maybe it could be hunt in any Victory Road or any route right before it (or both)? I know one of the January CH options was hunt in any starting route from any game, and even though that didn't happen, I think this gives a degree of flexibility to the them without being cliché.

On another note, I finally got focused on a hunt in Y. I decided after to MM for Timid Charmander for Mega Charizard Y (Everstone), and the best part is that the parents both have 5 IV's (missing HP, but who really cares?). Glad to finally have a hunt, for something that won't be banned to Ubers in competitive. :p

Last edited:

Rsr57

I usually just stock up on 5 then use hatch power then after they hatch I wondertrade them. Another way i might try is stock up on a boxfull then hatch them all

I don't really think there's a best/fastest method, just do what's comfortable to you.

For all my current shinies, I collected five eggs from the daycare man and each time one hatched I deposited it and picked up a new one from him. Once I'd hatched 35 (one box+5 in party), 65 (2 boxes+party) or very, very rarely 95 (....yeah), I added it to my total and then switched the game off to keep my playtime down and because I'm not wasting time releasing all those non-shinies.

For my Spritzee, the first 35 were hatched by collecting 35 eggs then hatching them all. Since then, I've switched to getting five eggs in my party, hatching them all, depositing them and collecting a new five.

In terms of time taken, collecting 35 eggs and then hatching seemed to take me a little longer (we're talking about ten minutes more, give or take). The other two methods seem to take roughly the same time; about an hour for 35, though obviously things like Hatching Power and egg hatch cycles will play a part. It's all down to personal preference really, I like the current method I'm using and will keep on doing that.

Thanks for your answers. So, to sum up, there is not a "best method" and it is up to one´s preferences. I´ll try the hatch a pokemon->release it/store it->take another one. It is the one i use when i IV bred and is the one i like the most.