• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Definitely try out the Friend Safari, as was mentioned. All evidence points to an increased shiny chance there. You can also try out Chaining and Chain Fishing. If you want a shiny and don't care what it is or what nature it has, definitely chain fish. Most people get a shiny before a chain of 100. If you want a shiny that can be found in the grass and you want a certain nature on it, try regular PokeRadar chaining. I've had great success with it, but it takes a little bit of practice to get used to.

You can also try using the Masuda Method to breed, but this is more time-consuming than the other methods. However, by using the Masuda Method, you have more control over what nature, IVs, and abilities your shinies will have.

Right, that all makes sense! Thanks, appreciate it!

MorganNAL

Catch Em' All
Okay so here is my latest shiny

Throh 4.JPG

Added another friend safari and was going for some fighting pokemon and this showed up. That's 2 shinies in gen 6. Yet I still don't have the planned Riolu shiny after 360 XP should I reset the counter, or continue at 360?

Also, been thinking of working on roaming shiny legendaries. How do you get Roaming pokemon shiny? Are they only shiny on first encounter?

Novacrose

Legend Whisperer
I don't mean to be discouraging or anything of the sort, but how in the world do some people get around 5 shinies A DAY? This kind of blows my mind... I mean I am still new at shiny hunting so I don't know much about the fine details of the art, but really, how do they do it?!

MMing a Toxic Spikes Skrelp at around 200 eggs currently...no luck so far

Jonah White

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
I have been cursed! EVERY SINGLE CHAIN I'VE TRIED HAS FAILED IN THEIR 30s!
Don't know what to do with myself......gonna take a looooooong brake form shiny hunting.

Meowth City

Staff member
I decided to give the PokeRadar a try for the first time ever in XY. I've never had any luck with it in Diamond, so I was not expecting much here. Yet, I managed to successfully chain for not one, but two shiny Smeargles. Both shiny patches appeared after only 2 chains. Dang!

http://i42.*******.com/fbynbl.jpg

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
So, I decided to modify my MM habits. Normally, I load up on eggs, and go ride around the tower. This time, I decided to load up on eggs, and ride around in the FS while hatching them. .

this is that happened next =]

I wasn't even counting, but im guessing around 52 RE's based on the PP of moves used, +/- 5 RE's
this sweet little girl has IV's - 26, 27, 28 / 10 - 13 / 31 / 12 - 15 / 28 - 31 / 0 - 3 with a bashful nature.
now I just need to name her =]

and three hours later...

Crawdaunt_zpsd8e6fad7.jpg

if I had to guess, itd have been around 1000 RE's...

he's got IVs: 31 / 30, 31 / 4, 5, 6 / 14, 15, 16 / 10 - 13 / 24, 25, 26
Calm nature, and his HA!

I decided to give the PokeRadar a try for the first time ever in XY. I've never had any luck with it in Diamond, so I was not expecting much here. Yet, I managed to successfully chain for not one, but two shiny Smeargles. Both shiny patches appeared after only 2 chains. Dang!

the only thing I get after 2 chains is the urge to put in ear plugs... XD

I ran into a Beauty! *_*

I gave her to my friend as a gift.

shes stunning! i need a friend like you!! haha!

Last edited:

MercyMe

Nothing on my MMs yet. Going to hatch this last box of Vulpix eggs then I'll chill in the Friend Safari. Hope others are having better luck then I am.

I have been cursed! EVERY SINGLE CHAIN I'VE TRIED HAS FAILED IN THEIR 30s!
Don't know what to do with myself......gonna take a looooooong brake form shiny hunting.

You're the person who had great luck at the Pokeradar at first. XD What's going on?

Hey, way to go dude! It's kind of funny you found a shiny Whismur of all things considering I told you Whismur on my Sapphire version was the first shiny I ever caught besides the red Gyarados. Told you that pink and green is just gorgeous ;)

Well, I haven't looked through this thread in quite a few days so I have plenty of catching up to do, but congrats to everyone on their recently obtained shinies and good luck to all shiny hunters.

If you've noticed in my signature, I gained a few new shinies through trades, including Gabite :D Shiny Garchomp still looks about the same even though it's slightly easier to differentiate from regular Garchomp now. Shiny Mega Garchomp is the real treat--nothing like pink and purple and spikes and huge arm scythes all combined lol.

Hahaha, true, true. I also found it funny but I was happy that I was able to get it. Also this little fella helped me get that black dragon that we were discussing a few days ago. Of course, I do plan to buy either HG or SS and get it completely legit. :)

I'm still deliberating on RNG abuse for other pokemon. I tried shiny Rayquaza for my sort of revenge (long story short, I could never get him in my Sapphire version after resetting for a month, so I got back to him with rng today on Ruby) but I'm not sure if I would be motivated to rng about for other pokemon because part of me would feel like cheating. What do you guys think? Should I rng for other shiny pokemon (like getting the 3 shiny Regis)?

Back on XY I plan to hunt on a ground safari for either shiny Phanpy or shiny Nincada. Hope to get the latter, though I would be happy to get the former too. :)

TheGreaterLucario

Well, after chain fishing for a Shiny Dratini (or Dragonair- I alternated between the Good and Super Rods on Route 21), I found two Shiny Basculin. HOWEVER, I failed to catch both of them- they both kamikaze-d me with Final Gambit.........

Edit: Afterwards, I found and caught a Shiny Poliwhirl!

Last edited:

Turak

Still no luck on MM for a Honedge. At this rate, I'll have my own "Unlimited Honedge Works" chant.

ZzzonkedTyguy

Legend of Blackthorn
Well, I haven't been able to add anyone with an eevee in their safari so I decided to hunt in a friend's ghost safari today. About 20 minutes in I found a shiny lampent!! Now's he's an amazing looking chandelure. His nature is naive, which isn't the best, but I still love him :) Next hunt will be for a shiny noibat. Grats on all the recent shiny finds and good luck with all current hunts!

Quils

Strange Creature
Congrats on everyone on your shinies, specially to ShinyMisty on that shiny Eevee. It makes me happy to know that the Eevee I gave you helped you c:

For those still hunting I wish you good luck! If you are having a long hunt or recently lost a shiny, don't give up, you'll eventually get it! c:

I reached 1200 eggs on my MM hunt for Espurr, I still have a few eggs left to hatch but I doubt I'll get anything today.
Still, this was a good day for me. I went out with my family, and while in the car, instead of hatching eggs I decided to take a break in the Safari.
After a few encounters I found a beautiful Klefki, the one I wanted the most from that Safari (the others were Mawile and Metang).
I'm really happy as I wanted a shiny Klefki and I even tried to chain it and Horde encounter it before moving to my Espurr hunt :')
[IMG139]http://25.media.tumblr.com/459cc56dbcdb834904377a6d2b1d477b/tumblr_mxex31SIX41si2eeko1_1280.jpg[/IMG139]
Female, Serious nature, 31 IVs in Attack and Sp.Atk. Her ability is Magician, so she's not that good but who cares, I'll still EV train her.

Now I hope I get Espurr soon, but this shiny relieved most of my stress c:

The Scientist

Has anyone had exceptionally long droughts in the friend safari? I have always gotten a shiny in less than 500 encounters, but now I'm well over 1000. Anyone else?

I know that there is not much to go from, but I'm wondering if different friend safaris have different shiny rates. Sometimes people get a shiny immediately, while others have a hard time. Just a thought.

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
Has anyone had exceptionally long droughts in the friend safari? I have always gotten a shiny in less than 500 encounters, but now I'm well over 1000. Anyone else?

I know that there is not much to go from, but I'm wondering if different friend safaris have different shiny rates. Sometimes people get a shiny immediately, while others have a hard time. Just a thought.

I have yet to get a Shiny in the Friend Safari, if that is what you mean. I spend about 30 minutes in one, then...lose interest. ^^;

Shinyman22

Shinies 'n Battling
Well, I just hit 525 eggs for shiny Starly, and nothing yet :/. This is now longer than my Rotom hunt and close to Torchic. I really hope I get it sometime this weekend (it seems I have good MM luck on weekends). I haven't gotten to do any SRs on Soul Silver lately, so I may take a break and do that for a little while.

Well, anyway, good luck on everyone's hunts

Scrufox86

Well hard time is putting it lightly I think. I have not found a single shiny in the friend safari which is supposed to have super increased odds and many people are shouting about having at least 20 shinies from there. I have spent at least 1-2 hours a day in there with nothing to show for it. This is why I am waiting for proof of this supposed increased rate because it certainly aint true for me.

I have yet to get a Shiny in the Friend Safari, if that is what you mean. I spend about 30 minutes in one, then...lose interest. ^^;

I am sort of the same but I try for at least an hour sometimes I switch every 30 minutes between friend safaris. The other day I spent 2 hours in one fire type safari and no shiny appeared. There are so many people on here with multiples from there it just makes me think well why am I not finding just ONE from there.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod

Great, so I'm not the only one. Only I don't even last 10 minutes in a FS before losing interest. I have no idea why, either, and it's RE hunts in general that are like this for me right now. I'm probably not in the mood for RE hunts, I suppose.

Regardless, I'm still MM'ing for Honedge, and I'm approaching 450 eggs soon. Haven't touched Kyurem in awhile, though, but I want Honedge first. I probably should give Kyurem more attention and see if I can get it before the Bank comes out, though, so I can transfer it with the rest of my stuff. Still, no rush. I'll be paying the $5 fee for the Bank at some point anyway, so it doesn't matter when it shines.

MercyMe

Good for you if you have always gotten a shiny within 500 RE. :) (Compared to others who have never got a shiny from the FS so far, you're one of the lucky ones) As for me I don't really have much to go off of. I've spent so much time in the FS and I've only got a little Sunkern to show for it. I did get him in less then 20 RE, which baffled me. Not sure if different FS have different shiny rates. Everything about the FS is in theory until legit information is given to us.

RJWF

I caught my second shiny ever in pokemon y today!
It's a shiny ditto, with the imposter ability and -spd / + def
I nearly had a heart attack! XD I was like omg blue!
I named it doppelgänger xD
I really wanted to trade it for a modest / timid shiny char I could rename beyond but no one seems to have one they are willing to part with... To bad I guess!

Now my other shiny, who I intend to keep forever and ever, won't be so lonely atlesst!