• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

The Scientist

I have yet to get a Shiny in the Friend Safari, if that is what you mean. I spend about 30 minutes in one, then...lose interest. ^^;

Well hard time is putting it lightly I think. I have not found a single shiny in the friend safari which is supposed to have super increased odds and many people are shouting about having at least 20 shinies from there. I have spent at least 1-2 hours a day in there with nothing to show for it. This is why I am waiting for proof of this supposed increased rate because it certainly aint true for me.

Good for you if you have always gotten a shiny within 500 RE. :) (Compared to others who have never got a shiny from the FS so far, you're one of the lucky ones) As for me I don't really have much to go off of. I've spent so much time in the FS and I've only got a little Sunkern to show for it. I did get him in less then 20 RE, which baffled me. Not sure if different FS have different shiny rates. Everything about the FS is in theory until legit information is given to us.

Wow, I had no idea so many people had such poor luck (sorry by the way). There may be some mechanism involved that we don't know about. For example, maybe people with more friends get more shinies, maybe being online increases the shiny rate, etc. I've gotten 5 shinies out of ~2500 REs, and have 35 friends, but don't usually go online. How many friends do other people have?

It is curious that there are so many people get their shinies in so few encounters. I think there are things we have yet to learn that increases shiny rates.

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats everyone on your new shinies and goodluck to those still hunting! :)

Just reached exactly 900 eggs for my Vulpix MM. This might break my current record. x.x
Ill probably take a break after another box or two...

LatiasMaster13

Latias Master
Just finished training my last shiny starter :D, i officially have all the shiny staters at Lvl.100 (Message me if you're interested and want to trade - shiny for shiny)[Gen.5]
-Venasaur, Blastoise, Charizard
-Meganium, Feraligatr, Typhlosion
-Sceptile, Swampert, Blaziken
-Torterra, Empoleon, Inferape
-Serperior, Samurott, Emboar

Last edited:

MercyMe

Wow, I had no idea so many people had such poor luck (sorry by the way). There may be some mechanism involved that we don't know about. For example, maybe people with more friends get more shinies, maybe being online increases the shiny rate, etc. I've gotten 5 shinies out of ~2500 REs, and have 35 friends, but don't usually go online. How many friends do other people have?

It is curious that there are so many people get their shinies in so few encounters. I think there are things we have yet to learn that increases shiny rates.

Okay, this is hilarious. MINUTES after I posted that comment I changed safaris and less then 20 RE this little guy shines for me:

oDu5bBB.jpg

KCm59ZE.jpg

Usmotuc.jpg

UNBMB5L.jpg

He has perfect IVs in Attack and Speed. Meh. I don't really care about that. A shiny is still a shiny. :) Can't wait to see him as a shiny Mega Abomasnow!

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
Okay, this is hilarious. MINUTES after I posted that comment I changed safaris and less then 20 RE this little guy shines for me:

oDu5bBB.jpg

KCm59ZE.jpg

Usmotuc.jpg

UNBMB5L.jpg

He has perfect IVs in Attack and Speed. Meh. I don't really care about that. A shiny is still a shiny. :) Can't wait to see him as a shiny Mega Abomasnow!

Congrats! I personally LOVE shiny abomasnow.

I CAUGHT MY FIRST SHINY EVER!! (Not the first I've seen, I saw a Makuhita in Emerald that I hyper beamed to death.)

It's a Relicanth. And get this - It's JOLLY AND HAS ROCK HEAD!!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/fM4rJNs.jpg[/IMG200]

I'm so freaking excited to train this thing.

Congrats! I actually have been planning a relincanth hunt myself! Hope your luck stays strong!

Last edited:

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
I CAUGHT MY FIRST SHINY EVER!! (Not the first I've seen, I saw a Makuhita in Emerald that I hyper beamed to death.)

It's a Relicanth. And get this - It's JOLLY AND HAS ROCK HEAD!!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/fM4rJNs.jpg[/IMG200]

I'm so freaking excited to train this thing.

SuperPorygonZ

Shadow Baller
Hey guys! I'm back! Polygonal Porygon! Only I forgot my password and my old email has been disabled! Anyway, I finally found my first RE Shiny, took me this long. It's a patrat that I nicknamed Diversus (Latin for different) and I evolved him to help me catch more shinies!
Porygon out.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Has anyone had exceptionally long droughts in the friend safari? I have always gotten a shiny in less than 500 encounters, but now I'm well over 1000. Anyone else?

I know that there is not much to go from, but I'm wondering if different friend safaris have different shiny rates. Sometimes people get a shiny immediately, while others have a hard time. Just a thought.

Theres been times were I've hunted for 3-4 hours in a safari and no shinnies appear....I don't have any luck with it either.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Anyways, my hunts seem to be going at good pace. I'm at 21,250 SRs for Giratina, and I have done 1,568 REs in Victory Road in White and White2. Cyberra must have a lot of time, starting the hunt a few days after me and suddenly being 6,000 ahead of me.

Cyberra has no job, no car, no way of getting anywhere, and lives out in the sticks. Cyberra also has no life. Thus, all Cyberra has is time ^_^;;;;;

Oh, by the way... Community hunt complete!

After a total of 7,139 random encounters on Victory Road, this sparkly lady showed up... Shiny Druddigon!

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/Picture6062_zpsfe1c7f62.jpg[/IMG139]

It's not the Zweilous I was hoping for, or the excadrill I feared (thank Primus!), but it is a shiny ^_^ I am now returning to my MM for absol

Thanks Aqua. And yes, Cyberra has way too much free time on her hands. ;) (she's a good friend of mine so I can make such claims)

XD So true to both

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to Dangertrout on Beautifly, Arkygi on Charmander, Ipodcheese on Chespin, Drake Poketrainer on Togepi, Tina on Sliggoo, Heliotrope on Espurr, JohnNiles on Onix, MimiSkitty on Floette and Luxio, Ambri on Charmander, Dylz on Braxien, Quilladin and Woobat, FarFromFreedom on Vulpix, ShadowIWolf on Whismur, Ganieda on Braxien, ShinyMisty on Eevee, CryHavoc91 on Ferroseed and Crawdaunt, MorganNal on Throh, Meowth City on Smeargle, TomoEGoto on Illumise, ZzzonkedTyguy on Lampent, Quils on Klefki, RJWF on Ditto, MercyMe on Snover, poix_the_yak, SuperPorygonZ on Patrat, Cyberra on Druddigon, and everyone else!

Has anyone had exceptionally long droughts in the friend safari? I have always gotten a shiny in less than 500 encounters, but now I'm well over 1000. Anyone else?

I know that there is not much to go from, but I'm wondering if different friend safaris have different shiny rates. Sometimes people get a shiny immediately, while others have a hard time. Just a thought.

I still don't think there's anything more to the Friend Safari other than the increased shiny rates. Some hunts are gonna take longer than others, that's just how luck/chance is. For example, my last 5 RE hunts haven't gone over 2k encounters, but now I'm half way to 3k encounters on route 16 and nothing yet. I guess there must be some hidden mechanic I don't know about! /sarcasm. But seriously, these type of things always happen when RE hunting.

Well hard time is putting it lightly I think. I have not found a single shiny in the friend safari which is supposed to have super increased odds and many people are shouting about having at least 20 shinies from there. I have spent at least 1-2 hours a day in there with nothing to show for it. This is why I am waiting for proof of this supposed increased rate because it certainly aint true for me.

1-2 hours tho? I have encountered 10+ shinies and the Safari, and while some of them were pretty quick, I think a majority of them still took longer than that. Don't get me wrong, the Friend Safari is broken, but not that broken to the point that you'll get a shiny every 1-2 hours. Maybe you should try a bit more if you want some results.

-------------------

Well, like I said, I'm at about 2600 REs in route 16 which isn't really that much at all so I'm not complaining. I just hope I don't end up with a shiny Foongus, not because I dislike it, but because I already have one and I really want to move onto a different route. Its just weird, hunting in the tall grass, and I can't see my character at all xD. I'm also still SRing away for Moltres, really hoping I get this one soon too.

Good luck everyone. :]

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I'm currently RE hunting in a fairy type safari. Been at it for almost a hour now. If something shiny's soon that would be wonderful...I know eventually i'll find my very first friend safari shiny.

JohnNiles

Hatched another shiny Onix- this one took less than 3 boxes after the first one. The stats are better- not a lot better, but I'm calling it quits. So now I'm in the unusual position of not knowing my next target. I'll probably use type coverage to make the decision.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
finding shinies are luck guys my best advice is don't try to look for it it comes alot faster trust me in friend safari and i find it may be harder for others but i did get two shinies in one day yesterday was happy one of my favorite pokemon too shiny :3 they were both on accident wasn't even trying to get a shiny either :p

Shiny Eevee

Shiny SandShrew

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats on all new shinies and goodluck to those still hunting! :)

Just hatched my 1020th Vulpix egg, >_< this is my first time reaching four digits.
I'm starting to doubt if the parents are qualified for MM... A Spanish Eevee and a English Vulpix will work right?

edit: Big big big congrats to Ceecee-typhlosion!! : D

Last edited:
Okay, so I have some excellent news :)

After 12340 SR.. shiny Torchic reappeared! ...and I managed to save so it is mine! 2880 SR after my lost one.

Unfortunately.. it did appear on another game.. so ultimately that could have been a shiny Mudkip or something.. but oh well.
However, this proved that after viewing over 30k pokemon on this game that it is not broken as I thought it was.. so that's nice.

Better nature than calm nonetheless..

Pictures:

I'd like to thank those who sent me messages in support for me redeeming Torchic, it really helped me to keep on going with the hunt after something so disappointing..

Congrats on all the new shinies and good luck everyone :)

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I found 2 shinies within the last week. The first was a Bold Zubat I encountered in a horde in the Connecting Cave in Pokemon Y.

[IMG139]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pAZsMUrdgzU/UqLrfx9Uo-I/AAAAAAAAAjI/Ysu0lB58Kbc/s1600/Shiny+Zubat.JPG[/IMG139]

He is the 2nd shiny Zubat I caught this year. The first was in FireRed during my Pokedex Quest playthrough and I named him Bale. I decided to name this one Affleck. He is now a level 50 Crobat that I've been using in my team.

Just now I found my first Friend Safari shiny in Pokemon X and it's also my first non-flying type since Gen 2!

[IMG139]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Wn2y_wrCIQU/UqLNHHhpEaI/AAAAAAAAAi4/i3KD5oKhozk/s320/Shiny+Pansear+(small).jpg[/IMG139]

I found him while searching for HA Charmeleon and Braixen. I'm not a fan of the monkey trio, but a shiny is a shiny. I named him Rafiki. He's Lonely with X/X/31/31/31/X. Wish his nature fit his IVs better, but you can't complain when you find a pokemon with 3 perfect IVs!

Good luck hunters!

Last edited:

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Yes! Another shiny! This time, Pancham! My first ever successful Pokéradar hunt. Was at chain 40, so I kept resetting until the shiny patch showed up. Named it CharlieBrown!
Bold Nature though. I never get decent shiny natures :(
Above Average overall. x/x/x/x/31/x

Last edited:

Phoenixfatih

I caught my first shiny ever today! It is shiny Masquerain.
[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/gchjzjX.jpg[/IMG139]

I wasn't even looking for it, I was just trying to fill my Pokedex and see what I have in every Friend Safari. Anyway, I'm so happy that my first shiny is something very beautiful, it is female, has good nature and also hidden ability.

I know I am supposed to edit my previous post on this page, but I am hoping everyone will oblige as I have never had this happen before (apart from uncatchable shinies).... and this is pretty exciting..

2 SHINIES IN 2 HOURS

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!

I decided to go back to my 7th Johto Starter hunt to see if I could get Totodile.. AND I DID!

Back in 2010 I got a Female Calm natured shiny Totodile, I decided to hunt for another as I see Feraligatr to be a masculine pokemon and the fact that Calm is not very good for it.

Pictures:

... and the hilarious part of this shiny.. It's Bold natured.. which is just as bad as Calm LOL