• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
With the attacks:
- Heal Pulse (No need hurting yourself!)
- Hypnosis (Let the sleep begin!)
- False swipe (Time to nearly faint, bro!)
- Mean look (YOU CAN'T ESCAPE ME!!)

This Gallade should be perfect for every shiny hunt in game. :p

Well except for Teleporters, Pokemon that can chuck you out of battle and those that have recoil dmg attacks.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Well except for Teleporters, Pokemon that can chuck you out of battle and those that have recoil dmg attacks.

How would they teleport with Mean Look used on them? Chucking your Pokémon out of battle only works if the target is lower level than them, so no effect on a level 100 Pokémon. How would they recoil themselves while asleep? And Heal Pulse would heal them back to full if it was even needed at all.

blastaero

Working on my competitive team but taking breaks to do random shiny hunts. No luck so far!

MercyMe

I know this may sound bad but out of nowhere today I've suddenly got the urge to restart my game. >_< Which isn't unusual of me since I tend to do at least 2/3 runs before finally settling down. (Freaking 1 slot game) This makes me so mad because I've worked so hard on this file. All the work I put into my MMs (That I never finished!), all the shinies I caught, all of the wins I got under my belt. (v_v) I will probably try and find someone trustworthy to trade all of my shinies over to that would give them back to me eventually, but still! I just need a new start for some reason.

So yeah, that's whats going on with me today. I MIGHT decide to restart later on. Need to decide if I really want this.

Congratulations on all of the new shinies! :)

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
How would they teleport with Mean Look used on them? Chucking your Pokémon out of battle only works if the target is lower level than them, so no effect on a level 100 Pokémon. How would they recoil themselves while asleep? And Heal Pulse would heal them back to full if it was even needed at all.

Ok, i'll give you the teleport one. :)

As far as i know, that only applies to "Roar", what about whirlwind?

How would they recoil themselves whilst asleep.... Since when was Hypnosis 100% effective. I've seen Pokemon wake up within one turn of falling asleep, so even if you played it safe and went with hypnosis till they fell asleep, and then used false swipe, they could wake up the next turn, use take down and bye bye shiny.

I was just looking to point out that there's a reason people use Smeargle, and that's because you can whack Super Fang(Only 50% Damage), Spore(100%), Ingrain(Can't be Blown Away) and Soak(For Ghosts).

Last edited:

Ganieda

Midnight Valkyrie
Almost up to 400 eggs in my MM hunt for Mienfoo...this is getting sort of frustrating because my first 2 MM hunts on X were rather fast. Starting to wonder if I should try chaining it with the radar...but there are only crappy patches on that route *sigh*
Please shine soon Mienfoo...

Meanwhile, congrats on everyone's new shinies =)

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Ok, i'll give you the teleport one. :)

As far as i know, that only applies to "Roar", what about whirlwind?

Whirlwind doesn't work on higher levels either (just tried it) and same goes for Dragon Tail most likely.

How would they recoil themselves whilst asleep.... Since when was Hypnosis 100% effective. I've seen Pokemon wake up within one turn of falling asleep, so even if you played it safe and went with hypnosis till they fell asleep, and then used false swipe, they could wake up the next turn, use take down and bye bye shiny.

I don't know about you, but if I had prior knowledge that the pokemon I was trying to catch knew a self-damaging move I wouldn't even bother weakening it. Just status it (sleep or paralyze) and throw balls at it. You don't HAVE to weaken it.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
while catching every synchronizer Kirlia natures, I caught a shiny floette.

I also bred a 4IV Ralts, Speed, Attack, Sdef & HP. It's Adamant and EV trained: 100 Speed, 158 HP & 252 Attack. Not shiny though, but it's going to be my shiny hunter with:
Mean look
Hypnosis
False Swipe
Heal Pulse

;3

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! SHINY MOLTRES!!!!

I started this hunt on the 8th of November so it took exactly 1 month of SRing (on and off)! The battle was pretty intense, it took 20+ ultra balls before it finally decided to stay in. My Timid sync failed and it got a careful nature which is horrible but I'm just glad I finally completed this hunt. Its been too long since I've gotten a good ol' 1/8192 shiny and they always feel the most rewarding for me.

Thanks to everyone who wished me luck on this hunt and good luck everyone! :]

Arkygi

It's already been a few hours, but I found a shiny Hoppip through horde encounter! :D
I chose not to MM because I didn't care much about its IVs in particular, but I got extremely unlucky, besides having bad IVs, the synch didn't work at all, he has a CALM nature, which is horrible ;-;
Sadly, I'll have him use sp. atk then, but still I love him, he'll be a beautiful pink Jumpluff ^-^ (I wanted it to be female but it's okay)

Congratz on all shinies and good luck to the others :)

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
Having to save after each Wonder Trade is painful. ._. While trading all my bird shinies over from White 2 to White I WT off most of my shinies from Y (except for Talonflame and Noctowl; they're getting nuked with the rest of my ingame 'mons when I erase the file).

I'm now lurking on the 5th gen. GTS, trying to give people nice surprises. :) So far, I've traded off my shiny Weepinbell, Terakion, Cobalion, Shaymin and the Nature Preserve Haxorus. I'd forgotten how awful the GTS could be....ugh. Once the more popular things have gone, I might switch to GTS Negotiations to get the last few things shifted. I'll admit, Wonder Trade would be very useful in this case. xD Oh well.

If the above paragraphs haven't made it obvious, after months of thinking and waffling back and forth between keeping everything, or wiping all my games and selling the lot, I've decided to keep my bird shinies (and one or two others) and restart White 2 to have fun on. Everything else is getting sold so rather than delete my shinies (and misc legends and so on), I'm giving them to random people. :)

I'll still be hoping for a shiny encounter when I'm replaying White 2, but unless it's a shiny bird, I doubt I'll be keeping it.

Congrats on all the new shinies since I last posted and good luck on the hunts. :)

Edit: Negotiations is slower than Wonder Trade, but great fun as you can see part of the reaction. xD

Last edited:

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! SHINY MOLTRES!!!!

I started this hunt on the 8th of November so it took exactly 1 month of SRing (on and off)! The battle was pretty intense, it took 20+ ultra balls before it finally decided to stay in. My Timid sync failed and it got a careful nature which is horrible but I'm just glad I finally completed this hunt. Its been too long since I've gotten a good ol' 1/8192 shiny and they always feel the most rewarding for me.

Thanks to everyone who wished me luck on this hunt and good luck everyone! :]

CONGRATS!
so flippin' cool... =]

MDS777

The name's Riley
So far I've hacthed 630 eggs for Shuppet. Hoping for it to shine soon. It will be awesome to reclaim my long lost shiny Shuppet from Emerald.^^

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
Well, this is funny.

I found a male shiny gogoat yesterday while searching for a shiny ivysaur.

Today, while watching a top 10 shiny video, what do I encounter? another shiny gogoat. A female one this time too. I am not mad or anything,because it could have been a shiny pansage, but, yeah. Now I have to search for one again.

Oh, and should I mention that she was a pain to catch? yeah. It was really annoying.

Edit: She has her HA! I am a bit shocked. Also, she has IVs in HP and Sp. Def with a sassy nature.

Last edited:

MimiSkitty

Congrats to all! 8D

I caught a shiny Pansage while at Pizza Hut today and it made me giggle. I tried to get a Petilil, though... Eh, it still made me happy. XD The guy said it's Superior....hmmm... It's Adamant. Not sure, but it's a boy! 83

TheGreaterLucario

*sigh* Spent a couple days chain fishing for a Shiny Dratini..... walked away with 3 Shiny Poliwhirls and 2 Shiny Basculin that decided to kamikaze me with Final Gambit....

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
Wow I'm so lucky! I've had Pokemon X for just 2 days and already I have found a Shiny Emolga, random encounter! I did not expect that at all but man I was so happy when I saw it :D What's better is that it was my birthday, a very awesome present indeed!