• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Quils

Strange Creature
First of all, congrats on everyone and good luck with your shinies c:

I just reached 1440 hatched eggs on my MM hunt for Espurr. Still no shiny...
This method hates me, and the hate is mutual. I'm not giving up! Did you hear me Masuda Method??

It's funny, ShinyMisty hatched a shiny in 5 eggs using my Eevee, and yesterday a friend of mine hatched a shiny in less than 60 eggs, using a Flabebé I gave her. Speaking of that, I'm really glad she got Flabebé, as she lost a shiny Floette some time ago c:

Tomorrow I'll fill 8 more boxes but for now I want to rest a bit. Hmmm... I still have to train my shiny Klefki. Any ideas for a set with Magician?

Crimson_Blazer

Ok, i'll give you the teleport one. :)

As far as i know, that only applies to "Roar", what about whirlwind?

How would they recoil themselves whilst asleep.... Since when was Hypnosis 100% effective. I've seen Pokemon wake up within one turn of falling asleep, so even if you played it safe and went with hypnosis till they fell asleep, and then used false swipe, they could wake up the next turn, use take down and bye bye shiny.

I was just looking to point out that there's a reason people use Smeargle, and that's because you can whack Super Fang(Only 50% Damage), Spore(100%), Ingrain(Can't be Blown Away) and Soak(For Ghosts).

Use taunt on teleporters and whirlwinders

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
1050 eggs, 0 Shiny Honedge, yay

I'm beginning to suspect the MM system is still the same as in Gen V, in that the cart's origin is what matters. Someone could be using an English cart to play in Japanese, and because the Ditto of that game is created in an English cart, it won't work for MM, despite being Japanese.....

Unless this has been proven wrong?

But right now that's my theory, since it starts getting a bit strange, considering the new much higher MM chance, I should already got one or even two Shiny Honedge by now.....

Or maybe my luck is really that strange right now, lol (4 shinies from non-Safari RE, 0 shiny from MM......)

I'll try to swap the Ditto once I reach 2000, or maybe 1500.

EDIT :

i really don't know my first egg was in the limit that shiny pop up faster and in friend safari they pop up alot i found my 5 shiny today shiny snubbull and i knocked it out with a crit ._. oh well i guess i can always try to get it again..I noticed the ratio is very quick with shinies in the safari...

yeah, if only Honedge line can be found in the Safari......I would totally hunt it in the Safari instead, I'm very sure I'll find a shiny one faster XD

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
1050 eggs, 0 Shiny Honedge, yay

I'm beginning to suspect the MM system is still the same as in Gen V, in that the cart's origin is what matters. Someone could be using an English cart to play in Japanese, and because the Ditto of that game is created in an English cart, it won't work for MM, despite being Japanese.....

Unless this has been proven wrong?

But right now that's my theory, since it starts getting a bit strange, considering the new much higher MM chance, I should already got one or even two Shiny Honedge by now.....

Or maybe my luck is really that strange right now, lol (4 shinies from non-Safari RE, 0 shiny from MM......)

I'll try to swap the Ditto once I reach 2000, or maybe 1500.

i really don't know my first egg was in the limit that shiny pop up faster and in friend safari they pop up alot i found my 5 shiny today shiny snubbull and i knocked it out with a crit ._. oh well i guess i can always try to get it again..I noticed the ratio is very quick with shinies in the safari...

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats on all new shinies and goodluck to those still hunting! <:

Today morning while going to school I found another shiny Sliggoo while running through the safari, was looking for a Noibat but a Sliggoo is nice too, now I have a shiny Sliggoo couple. >_<

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Martinzqx on Froakie, LatiasMaster13 on Eevee, jrmftw on Pancham, Xaby on both Eevees, jrmftw on Graveler, Arkygi on Mienfoo, 201238 on Magnemite and Weedle, Pokepro1992 on Abra, ShadowRadon on Giratina, Supremacy on Klefki, Arkygi on Charmander, Ipodcheese on Chespin, zerukin on Gastly and Yanma, Ambri on Charmander, FarFromFreedom on Vulpix, ShinyMisty on Eevee, SuperPorygonZ on Patrat, Cyberra on Druddigon, JohnNiles on Onix, Ceecee-typhlosion on Torchic and Totodile, Shinyman22 on Starly, BeneathTheWaves on Noibat, Tina on Vulpix, TheEmeraldKnight on Ralts, dark1raven3 on Honedge, Supremacy on Foongus (sort of?), Rsr57 on Larvesta, Darkmythology on Gulpin and Chespin, Crimson Penguin on Dwebble, Psynergy on Honedge, wingman32x on Froakie, Cyberra on Absol, Typhlox on Oddish, ShadowRadon on Psyduck, RaichuArcanine on Clefairy, Heliotrope on Klefki, Supremacy on Moltres, Retro-Chaos X on Emolga, and everyone else on their shinies!

And congrats on the baby, KittyKitty3308!

As always, congratulations to everyone on their recent shinies and good luck to those still hard at it, especially CPChris, hopefully Growlithe shines for you soon, so you can join in the CH.

Both shiny patches appeared after only 2 chains. Dang!
the only thing I get after 2 chains is the urge to put in ear plugs... XD
…Nice ;)

So you think there are people who would prefer having fewer shinies found with lower encounter rates as opposed to more shinies found with higher encounter rates?
Hi.

----------

Well, still nothing. Didn’t do as much hunting tonight either because I was lucky enough to be able to pick up a shift tonight, so I worked a double (not being sarcastic - I wanted this shift), so only 200 REs tonight.

My hunts are at: 4,800 REs on Platinum, 17,100 REs on Black 2, and 10,900 REs on HeartGold. Not feeling particularly lucky anymore :p Hopefully these longer hunts prove to be worth it in the end with my targets shining rather than…Non-targets shining.

I’ve also done some more SRing for Snivy, and that hunt’s at 340 SRs.

Good luck, everyone :)

BeneathTheWaves

Team FroakieMander!
Well. I'm breeding for a Shiny Mareep. May the odds be ever in my favor...

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Congratulations on all the recent shinies, especially Supremacy with Moltres.

I considered SRing for Zygarde, but as there's some confusion about it being shiny-locked, I stopped at 15 SRs, deciding not to potentially waste my efforts. Since I recently completed the Kalos dex and got the Oval Charm, I'm considering doing an MM for Bunnelby.

ZzzonkedTyguy

Legend of Blackthorn
Congrats on all of the recent shinies everyone!

While I haven't been able to find noibat yet, I still managed to catch two great shinies in the safari over the weekend, boldore and manectric! boldore sadly has a mild nature (I seem be in a good nature rut lately) but manectric has a serious nature which I was just fine with. Now my boldore is a gigalith and is all trained and ready for battle. I'll train manectric soon after some more hunting. I can't wait to mega evolve him :)

For my next hunt, i've decided to put noibat on hold and give horde encountering for a shiny nidoran male a try. I've always wanted a blue nidoking (I seem to have a thing for blue shiny pokemon, haha)

Good luck with all of your hunts guys!

Caught four shiny Pidgeys in the Friend Safari while looking for shiny Hawlucha... well, shinies are shinies, as they say. :)

I also received a shiny Azumarill in a trade for my shiny Volbeat. Thank you, shroomprince!

Going to look for shiny Fairy-types until I get an Eevee Friend Safari or when I feel that the shiny Hawlucha will actually show itself. Lol

Congratulations to all recent shiny encounters, and good luck to everyone!

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Caught four shiny Pidgeys in the Friend Safari while looking for shiny Hawlucha... well, shinies are shinies, as they say. :)

I also received a shiny Azumarill in a trade for my shiny Volbeat. Thank you, shroomprince!

Going to look for shiny Fairy-types until I get an Eevee Friend Safari or when I feel that the shiny Hawlucha will actually show itself. Lol

Congratulations to all recent shiny encounters, and good luck to everyone!

congrats on the pidgeys just waiting for a male fairy egg group and plain to mm all the shiny fairy types :p funny thing i found a shiny snubbull in friend safari but crit it ._. ill just try to get it again i guess...good luck with hawlucha hunt and your eevee safari i have one and i got it from friend safari female too was so happy :3

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Congrats to everyone and their shinys! :)

I'm gonna go in some friend safari's and catch Pokemon I don't have. I'm not gonna purposely go looking for any shinys, I just wanna see if one will appear without me having to hunt for it.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
WOOOOOO

Caught my second and third shinies today: Two shiny Barboaches!!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/5HpmOnq.jpg[/IMG200]
[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/4cc6rMV.jpg[/IMG200]

Bad natures, but oh well. I'm feeling lucky.

Growlie19

Hello, fellow shiny hunters! It's been a while since I've last posted here, so a blanket congrats will do, I suppose.

Anyways, I was hunting in a Fighting safari when an orange-skinned Throh appeared! His name is Judas. He has a Lax nature with perfect Attack and Special Defense. He has the Guts ability. And thus my drought has ended. No shiny since Thanksgiving night, up until now of course.

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Alright, after I get my shiny hunting gallade, I'm gonna start softresetting on snorlax. No one has encountered it yet, so I will try and softreset. If some people could softreset like 1k only for it too, that would be great. Since I have no idea if they shiny locked every interactable pokémon...

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Congrats to everyone and their shinys! :)

I'm gonna go in some friend safari's and catch Pokemon I don't have. I'm not gonna purposely go looking for any shinys, I just wanna see if one will appear without me having to hunt for it.

trust with friend safari that seriously is the way to go i found like 4 shiny encounters not even looking :3 good luck ;)

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
GO FIGURE! A shiny Kirlia appears and it uses teleport I forgot Kirlia knows teleport I just screwed myself on this one holy crap i'm a idiot! UGH!

Rikku Takanashi

Adventuring Vulpix
Whats the best way to MM? What I typically do for breeding is fill my party with 5 go up and down route 7 till they hatch then start again right now im MMing and IV breeding iv got a 5V Eevee im using and a 3V Jp Eevee and im using the same method only im going to get the IV's checked each time (Im going for two Eevee a Shiny Eevee and a Shiny Umbreon) so far iv only hatched about 20 eggs before I started MMing however while I was getting the 5V Eevee I got a Shiny Eevee lol however its characteristic is not to my liking and it's IV's arn't either (im still keeping it however it's my first Shiny Eevee ever)

So is there a faster way?