• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

MercyMe

Update:

(Emerald) 125 SR: Treeko
(Leafgreen) 125 SR: Squirtle
(White) 125 SR: Oshawott

Taking a break for a hour. I will use my DS and 3DS to do a double hunt and get my Snivy (White 2) and Piplup (Platinum) SR up to 125 as well. Emerald, Leafgreen, and Platinum I will try and do 250 SR each per day. As for White and White 2 I will only be able to do 125 SR per day, due to all of the heavy dialogue.

Are you changing save files every 50 SR's or so in Emerald?

Sorry, I'm new to soft resetting for shinies. Why would I need to change save files? Just curious.

TheMaster327

Sorry, I'm new to soft resetting for shinies. Why would I need to change save files? Just curious.

Emerald's RNG is broken, so the seed is always the same, so it churns out Pokémon ID's in the same order each time. Changing your save every 50 SRs will mean a better chance at getting a file with an early shiny frame, so you can hit that frame early on in the play session. If you get a uncatchable Pooch, you are close, so you should stick with that save file. Hopefully I explained that OK. If not, I'm sure someone else will elaborate...

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I have the same problem. Keep finding Beautiflys when I'm looking for Venomoth :p
Maybe I should take another stab at that hunt today...

At least you're finding shines. My game has been giving me nothin' since Tyrunt, but at least it is something.

ElectricBassClef

To elaborate on what TheMaster327 said, here's the explanation from the first post:

In Ruby / Sapphire with a dead internal battery or in Emerald, the Random Number Generator always starts in the same place. Because of this, unless you have an early shiny frame, it makes SRing in these games pretty much impossible. You can, however, keep restarting your file until you get one with an early enough frame. When picking your starter, save in front of the pokeball and SR about 50 times, and try to vary the speed at which you spam A at the beginning. If you see a shiny starter or zigzagoon/poochyena in the first battle, you have a file with an early frame and could conceivably SR pokemon throughout the game.

Captured a THIRD shiny Floette today! This time, she is INCREDIBLE! My Gardevoir's Synchronize pulled through, meaning my lovely shiny Floette has a Modest nature. That's not all, however, as her perfect IV's are in Special Attack and Special Defense! Plus, she has her hidden ability!

DEFINITELY keeping her, and training her as we speak!

In other news, I caught a shiny Snubbull this morning with horrible IV's. lol

Congratulations to all recent shiny encounters and captures, and good luck to any future and ongoing hunts!

Zekromaster826

Casual Shiny Hunter
So I continued the hunt for Kalos shinies and chained my first 40 chain shiny: Skiddo! I lucked out and got an Impish Nature, and now I have my Adamand Gale Wings Fletchinger and my JPN ditto and am starting a MM hunt! So either i get a parent bird (be my hatcher) or a good competitive shiny pokemon! Wish me luck!

- And congrats to all of the shinies that everyone has found! -

Shinyman22

Shinies 'n Battling
Hey everyone! Well, now that I've gotten shiny Starly, I've made my Soul Silver hunt my priority. Since in the past I've gotten both Chikorita and Cyndaquil, id love to get Totodile, but I'd be happy with any of them. I've also decided that I'm going to start a BQ on Soul Silver. It'll be my first BQ so I'm pretty pumped. I just hope a starter shines soon!
As always, I wish everyone good luck on their hunts!

MercyMe

@TheMaster327 & ElectricBassClef:

Okay, I understand perfectly. I'll be sure to restart my file before I continue my Emerald hunt. :)

Thank you so much for pointing this out to me early on, or else this hunt would have been never-ending. >_<

Laurelai

Yay shiny Espurr hatched for me :D 800+ eggs and she is timid with 31s in SpATK and DEF. Not the best IVs, but I loves her :D I named her Natasha.

Butterscotches01

Shiny Lover
Ugh, so I started this Madsuda Method for Eevee a few days ago and now i'm up to 380+ eggs. I know that's barely any eggs but it sucks when egg hatches and the pokemon is not shiny. I guess my luck may have run out :(

Anyway, last week I caught a shiny Klefki after a Pokeradar chain of 20 and a shiny clauncher at exactly 100FE's. Those gold keys are amazing!

Good luck everyone on your hunts and congrats to those who got their shinies!

ElectricBassClef

Hey all! It's been quite a long time since I reported on my hunting in this thread. Congrats on all of the shinies I've missed. I'm glad that most of you are having good luck. To those of you who aren't having such good luck, keep on hunting. It'll come eventually!

I've been having a lot of success shiny hunting in X myself, mostly getting pretty short hunts. This last one, though, dragged on quite a bit. I was horde hunting on Route 18, and after 10590 Pokémon total encountered, (2118 hordes,) geodude finally shone for me! His name is Pan, Impish nature and quick-tempered with Sturdy. I'm pretty happy that at least when all was said and done I actually got the shiny that I was looking for!

dragonboas

Hey all! It's been quite a long time since I reported on my hunting in this thread. Congrats on all of the shinies I've missed. I'm glad that most of you are having good luck. To those of you who aren't having such good luck, keep on hunting. It'll come eventually!

I've been having a lot of success shiny hunting in X myself, mostly getting pretty short hunts. This last one, though, dragged on quite a bit. I was horde hunting on Route 18, and after 10590 Pokémon total encountered, (2118 hordes,) geodude finally shone for me! His name is Pan, Impish nature and quick-tempered with Sturdy. I'm pretty happy that at least when all was said and done I actually got the shiny that I was looking for!

That is some serious devotion, congratulations. How long did that take?

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I was looking for a golden Charmeleon for my friend, so I was REing in a Fire safari.
After about... 200 RE, a pink Magmar appeared! I named him "Fire Lotus" for no reason in particular.
I already have my golden Magby in Black2 (Which I intend on transferring ASAP) so this means that I now have two members of the Magmar family as shinies!

MDS777

The name's Riley
So far I've hatched exactly 900 eggs for Shuppet. This is starting to turn out like my Hawlucha and Litleo MM hunt. >_<

But congrats to everyone on their recent shinies. :)

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
What is this?! I can't believe it! I took a break from studying because I have a headache for some reason, and went hunting. And it looks like Christmas decided to come early!

[IMG139]http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b588/gustavo1495/Shinies/Snapshot_20131209_3_zps6609961e.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b588/gustavo1495/Shinies/HNI_0035_zpsf076a4ea.jpg[/IMG139]

Modest sync worked and IV's are 2/14/18/25/23/10. I've been hoping to use Scarf or Specs Kyurem-W, and this is now possible thanks to that amazing Special Attack IV. I can settle with these IV's, but wow, this was insanely fast! Hardly 500 SR's, if even that. That makes two 1/8192 shiny legendaries that quickly within a gap less than two weeks! That's just ridiculous, and it's a very good memento of my Black Nuzlocke. Now, I may be done with hunting for awhile with finals coming up, so good luck to everyone during this time!

Drakonekoshi

I've caught a lot of shinies since I last posted here, so I'll make a quick run down

Chain Fishing

2 shiny Basculins ( Red )
5 shiny Remoraids
1 shiny Alomomola
1 shiny Poliwhirl
1 shiny Horsea

Friend Safari

Shiny Pawniard in a little over 30 encounters, SO HAPPY I GOT THIS BABY~

special thanks to my friend's Dark type Safari~

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
this is awesome another shiny that made up for the knocked out snubbull :3 i randomly once again ran into a shiny while searching for ha again...

Shiny Riolu

good luck and congrats to everyones hunts :3

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
What a lucky day!

I put my Taillow egg hatching on hold because I wasn't getting anywhere, so I popped to the Friend Safari to hunt in my mate's Fighting type area, containing Mienfoo, Riolu and Pancham. After about an hour or two, a lovely blue shiny Mienfoo popped up, my tenth shiny in Pokemon X! I used my stockpile of Rare Candies from Pokemile spending to turn my latest acquisition into a lovely pink Mienshao! I suppose sometime soon I should actually get pictures of all my shinies to legitimise them.

As soon as I did that I popped down to do the daily lottery ticket drawing, and for the first time ever I happened upon having a Pokemon with all five digits, so now I have two Master Balls! It's nice to have spares in case a shiny exploder pops up!

Also earlier my friend happened to be on, and I utilised him to evolve my second shiny Poliwhirl into a nice blue and pinkish shiny Politoed. Everything's coming up Milhouse! Now if only this darn Taillow would shine!

RJWF

I'm using the mm method to breed shiny charmander
Any tips to make this faster or easier?
I'm up to 450 something already and I gotta say, this might be my favourite pokemon in existence, but it's starting to get tedious.
I tried trading for one, but I only have some legendaries and a shiny clawncher -.-

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
So, I caught a shiny Ledyba in the FS earlier today while studying for my evolution final. I didn't catch the sparkle, and starred at it dubiously for a good minute before catching it. Low and behold, it had a red star. Cool! Shame the poor dear is adamant natured.... or is it really a shame?

In great desire of a shiny Scolipede, I caved in to MM. Got a Japanese Venipede via GTS (faretheewell, Yveltal...), and the only bug that happened to have a good nature and male was, well, my recently caught shiny Ledyba. So I let them do their thing, got a 4 IV adamant male bred him with his mother.... this is why I disdain breeding

10 or 13 eggs later, as I am studying for my insect ecology final this time, out pops a shiny Venipede. Male, adamant, and 6 perfect IVs. I am the luckiest jerk ever. Study entomology while you hatch your bug pokemon everyone.