• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Evie Snow

It's been a while since I commented here, wow! Up to 600 eggs for my Vulpix now, nothing yet, but I'm getting ever so impatient now...
Congrats to all on recent shinies! Some of the patience you guys have amazes me.​

MercyMe

Okay, so its been a few days since I've updated but I wanted to wait until something shined for me first and you won't believe what DID shine for me! :)

VkcSCZs.jpg

kwhTxfV.jpg

h3qsZ4L.jpg

I JUST started my Chespin SR last night with 25 SR and decided to do 25 more this morning. Then this little guy popped up on my 40th SR. Calm nature (-Attack, +Sp. Defense) Not the best, but it could have been worst. Beggars can't be choosers.

Update:
(Soulsilver) |Chikorita/Cyndaquil|400 SR
(Platinum) |Piplup|150 SR
(White) |Oshawott|250 SR
(White 2) |Tepig|150 SR
(Y) |Chespin| 40 SR [Complete!]

Quite a few things have happened these past few days. On my Soulsilver SR I decided that I would take either Chikorita OR Cyndaquil. (Though I really want a Cyndaquil) I also swapped Snivy for Tepig on my White 2 SR. Mostly because I'm lazy, but I definitely wouldn't have any complaints with a shiny Emboar. One last thing, if you haven't noticed my Leafgreen SR (Squirtle) and Emerald SR (Treeko) aren't up there. I'm putting them on hold till I can get replacement games, (Hopefully soon!) but I'm not going to even delve into that. It just makes me upset. :(

Congratulations on all of the shinies I missed! :) And good luck to those still hunting! Especially to the ones that are still SRing for a Kalos starter.

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
So, decided to try my luck with chain fishing today. Got myself an Octillery with Suction Cups, and so far have managed to get 3 shinies! :O

My first was Corsola which I got on my first try, was the 25th encounter.
Next was a shiny Relicanth which was my 38th encounter on my next try.
And then after a failed chain I managed to get a Whiscash on the 20th encounter. :D

Haven't had any luck since then but I'm more than happy considering I rarely ever get shinies, so it's amazing getting three. :D

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Congratulations on all the recent shinies, especially Shinyman22 on Chikorita!

I'm at about 2,500 encounters for Charmeleon now... And considering all things, I could just find a Flechinder or another Magmar... Maybe I'll just MM it.

Evie Snow

Haha it's only been a few hours since I posted and my shiny Vulpix just shone! Sadly, it's male, I would've preferred a female, but he does have Drought!
It's been 619 eggs so not too bad! I'm just glad it's over! :D

mitsuhoney

I was in Victory Road training my Pokemon (did not beat the E4 just yet) and I came across a Shiny Graveler in a Horde and caught it. Too bad, Geodude/Graveler/Golem are not my favorite Pokemon though. :( Anyone want it? I feel like it deserves a better home than being in my PC lol.

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
Congrats to all the shinys since my last post! way to many to list, so congrats to all!
I have been taking a slight break, but earlier this week I did manage to chain fish my first poke! a cute little 'karp!

photo_zps644f3b83.jpg

now I just have to name her..
I'd like to chain another one, and whichever of the two is better statistically, I will evolve to an awesome sea serpent. but the other, will stay a little fishy forever =]

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
So while I was catching Ditto's with every nature, for breeding. I caught a few incredible things.

First wow:
- Pokérus! (My 2nd in just this game.)

2nd wow:
- Shiny Ditto :3 (My 2nd.. got one in b2w2.)

3rd wow:
- about 10 3IV'd Ditto's.

4th wow:
- 1 FREAKINg 4IV Ditto! With 22/31/31/29/31/31! Bold nature too. And has its hidden ability. This would be a good competitive ditto ;p also breeding.

Last edited:

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
In finally convinced myself to Soft-Reset for shiny starter in Emerald.

I just have a question about that though. Do you have to choose the starter, then see if its shiny, or does it show that its shiny when you select the three starters? I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Actually, can someone explain it to me? I don't want to do it wrong, haha.

Last edited:
And with this guy, my first shiny team is finally complete:

tumblr_mxt4an3sGd1t1kut4o2_1280.jpg

Now I'm off to raise my normal team to lvl 100 and then to train the shiny team. In the meantime, I encourage you guys to keep giving your best in your shiny hunts. It took me a while to get this little fella, but if I can do it, I know you can too. After all, you are the ones who inspire me to keep hunting. :)

Xionea

Half a centaur

I just have a question about that though. Do you have to choose the starter, then see if its shiny, or does it show that its shiny when you select the three starters? I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Actually, can someone explain it to me? I don't want to do it wrong, haha.

You have to choose the starter, then see if it's a shiny when you go into that battle directly after. But if your game's battery is dead, SR for a shiny will be really hard. Someone else can explain the dead battery thing more to you since I can't explain it well.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Congrats on ghastly! I love his shiny form but never gengars, until the mega evolution (same with garchomp). You were even with me but I managed to get Stunfisk and Klefki pretty close together. Stunfisk took forever though! I'm still not sure what my last target will be just yet. I'm in the process of going through the Frost Cavern. I ev train all my Shinies so i spent most of the day yesterday while I was playing ev training Klefki. You have plenty of time to catch up because I got a newborn baby to take care of and baby and sleep is way more important than Shinies any day!

Anyways, good luck everyone on your hunts and happy hunting! :)

Thanks for the congrats. I do the same with most of my shinies too. When I saw how far you, when I was far behind before I was using you as motivation for me to keep going with my hunts to try and catch up. If it wasn't so cold outside, I'd be doing more than just hunting shinies. Good luck on your next target. :)

I have found BQ #7, shiny Beartic in 382 REs. It suprised me, since I thought it would have taken a little longer. So now I'm going to wait until I'm at the pokemon Village to hunt for BQ #8. Congrats to the recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Arkygi on Ralts, Neriifur on Eevee, Laurelai on Gible, Shadowkrow on Floatzel, ChipOwl on Houndour, Nulava on Sentret, Supremacy on Klefki, Shine on Honedge, PrinceB on Rotom, Neriifur on Bulbasaur, Crimson Penguin on Trubbish, Automail_Junkie on Latios and Vulpix, Unoin on Gligar, Arkygi on Venipede, Blastonite on Froakie, PrinceB on Litwick, Draknir on Bulbasaur, Shadowkrow on Gastly, Mijuwott on both Goomies and Honedge, Xionea on Froakie, Tina on Eevee, Shinyman22 on Chikorita, Chamiel on Gligar, MercyMe on Chespin, Evie Snow on Vulpix, Shadowkrow on Beartic, and everyone else on their shinies!

-------

I think I am going to do the Quest...on my Diamond version instead.
I just...I don't know which starter to try for. I mean, I will most likely go with Piplup.
I was considering doing a BQ on Diamond/Platinum, and I was wondering what Shinies I should aim for? Any Ideas?
I think Piplup and Turtwig are neat shinies to go for. Personally, I just plain don’t like Chimchar/Infernape, though I suppose it’s a nice shiny still.

As for what else…I think Starly and Shinx are great targets :) They’re the main reasons for my own BQ in the first place and I’m quite happy to have them as part of my BQ/team/shiny collection. They both show up in the beginning of the game, so you can hunt them right away.

--------

Check the first post for more info. Basically, to my understanding, the way Emerald’s RNG is set up is that the shiny frame is in the same spot every time you start the game. So say your shiny frame doesn’t appear for 5 minutes into the game…Then every time you SR, unless you waited those 5 minutes each time and then managed to hit the right frame, you’d never get a shiny starter.

So instead, start a new file after every ~50 SRs. And if you see a shiny Pooch, it means you have an early frame, so keep trying on that file. This also applies to Ruby/Sapphire if the internal batteries are dead.

--------

Well, good news/bad-ish news.

Good news: I found a shiny! Shiny Sentret!

[IMG200]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b579/Charizard4993/IMG_1251_zps124334d6.jpg[/IMG200]

The obvious bad news is that it’s a duplicate :p Still, it’s a nice shiny. I was just really hoping to find a Pidgey next since it’s more common than Sentret, especially after 12,184 REs…It’s not a whole lot, especially after all my other HG shinies were quick, but with all 3 of my hunts being a bit stubborn at the moment…

Male//Gentle//Somewhat vain. Another cool thing is that it appeared on my 284th RE today, which is nice since I usually get discouraged after the first 100-150 and feel like nothing will shine after that.

So this won’t count towards my BQ. And since my first one is evolved into an awesome Furret, this one will stay as an amazing Sentret :)

Hopefully some targets appear next for me, and soon :p Good luck, everyone!

Pluski

I've had a lot of luck shiny hunting in the Friend Safari lately. Last night, it took me less than an hour to get two shinies, Piloswine and Pansage, and a moment ago, I was just checking out my newest grass safari when a shiny Oddish appeared. It could be a coincidence, but I usually find shinies a lot faster in safaris that belong to people who are online.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
well guys i officially got my japanese shroomish with good 5 iv and will breed with a good 5 iv flabebe i have wish me luck on my shiny i hope to see her shiny under 1000 eggs i can't wait and pray she got good ivs as well :3 good luck to everyone hunts which im gunna start mine today ;)

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
Check the first post for more info. Basically, to my understanding, the way Emerald’s RNG is set up is that the shiny frame is in the same spot every time you start the game. So say your shiny frame doesn’t appear for 5 minutes into the game…Then every time you SR, unless you waited those 5 minutes each time and then managed to hit the right frame, you’d never get a shiny starter.

So instead, start a new file after every ~50 SRs. And if you see a shiny Pooch, it means you have an early frame, so keep trying on that file. This also applies to Ruby/Sapphire if the internal batteries are dead.

Alright, thank you. :)