• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Icon4Hire

Pokemon Breeder
Or young and impatient. Or new to the whole breeding and hunt Business. Lots of new shiny "hunters" Have appeared since the seemingly increased shiny rate. But I would agree. Prolly not for you bro.
I've only owned up to 4th gen games, so any shiny hunts means more work. Though many tend to think It'd be easy, sadly even with the increased rate of shinnies it still takes time. Because of this It may at times be disheartening but the reward is only there after the work put in. Which if you do it yourself without the use of cheats I'd commend you for the time and care spent doing so. As I myself have done and know that patience is needed to do so.

wbartholomy

Shiny Collector
Or young and impatient. Or new to the whole breeding and hunt Business. Lots of new shiny "hunters" Have appeared since the seemingly increased shiny rate. But I would agree. Prolly not for you bro.

BUT NEWS FOR ME! up to 1k eggs on Froakie since I got my first shiny one at 50ish eggs. I shall not give up! GL TO EVERYONE HUNTING! :D
Good Luck Blastonite!
Was the first Torrent? I only ask because that is my fear and why I have been sticking to safe shinies like Goomy, Zorua, Charmander, Mawile, And finally this darn Eevee

Illusione-Tempus

People are finding shinies everywhere... And I'm just here filling up my dex.

So I was breeding for my dex. Got all the Safari Exclusives through the GTS (Thank you Jungle Vivillon). Most of them were Japanese.

Breeding a Jap.Grimer with my Ditto. I usually breed two of each for my friend's dex. And then... Wild Shiny Grimer hatched. I don't know whether I should be happy or not, as I don't really like Grimer, but it's still a shiny.

Oh well, at least I got another shiny other than my Politoed. P:

MYNISTA

In Christ
Meet my new Shiny Breloom “Virtue!” Been running around in a fighting Safari with a Jolly Ralts Synch hoping to get one of these! The synch didn’t work, so she’s adamant…but that will work great on a Breloom too! Gonna train her up and get her ready for battle, then on to my next hunt! #Fresh! She has perfect IVs in HP and speed.

[img300]http://25.media.tumblr.com/69cc3d31dfe0d01070ad3a4a6763cec8/tumblr_my6z60cGqZ1s4x0zvo1_400.jpg[/img300]

EDIT: 5 Minutes later!...

So I decided to run into an Ice Friend Safari right after I got my shiny Breloom (about 5 minutes after)...first encounter - SHINY SNEASEL! Again...exactly what I wanted. Jolly synch didn't work again, and guess what...Adamant again! Haha! I'm on a roll! 3 perfect IVs (judged outstanding) in defense, Sp Atk, and Speed! Dragon killer on deck! #Fresh!

[img300]http://31.media.tumblr.com/896a0fec42b87c875c4fd5910b81143e/tumblr_my70o9YqhI1s4x0zvo1_400.png[/img300]

Last edited:

Lord of Fire

The Great Conqueror
I've been wondering about this for a while: if you were to have an 'all pokemon shiny' cheat on an AR and activate it, then catch a legitimate pokemon,(pokemon without hacking), then would the caught shiny pokemon be legit?

Icon4Hire

Pokemon Breeder
It'll be a cheat. My friend gave me a shiny metagross since I like them so much, but I uploaded it to pokecheck to see it's iv's(can't do this anymore) and it was a blatant hack. Don't do it!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Hey all! Had a question for those hardcore shiny hunters in previous gens! I've recently picked up White 2 for the first time and I'm dying to SR on Virizion. My question is, people do this (sr legendaries) without the shiny charm, right? Or is it possible to get the shiny charm without having Cobalion, Virizion, Kyurem, etc? Thanks all for any tips! :) Trying to figure out if all the legit captures I've seen are doing the 1/8000ish rate or the shiny charm rate!

All my hunting so far has been WITHOUT shiny charm. When I start SRing for Regice, Virizion, and Cresselia, it will be without the shiny charm. I'll be taking my chances against the full odds and seeing if luck still hates me XD

First hatch run for Beldum has come up empty. 370 blue levitating legs, 0 silver. I'm four boxes into egg collection for Round 2 right now. Should be ready to hatch again by the end of the night.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Hey all! Had a question for those hardcore shiny hunters in previous gens! I've recently picked up White 2 for the first time and I'm dying to SR on Virizion. My question is, people do this (sr legendaries) without the shiny charm, right? Or is it possible to get the shiny charm without having Cobalion, Virizion, Kyurem, etc? Thanks all for any tips! :) Trying to figure out if all the legit captures I've seen are doing the 1/8000ish rate or the shiny charm rate!

Yea, I think most people SR legendaires with full odds since the shiny charm is frowned upon a lot (mostly by the shiny hunters on YT) but there are still some people that hunt them with the charm also. I got the Muskedeer trio shiny on White, so no shiny charm, but I'm thinking about going for another Virizion on my Black 2 with the charm.

---------------------

Well I started hunting in the Friend Safari yesterday since I said I would give my friend a shiny Ponyta for Christmas, and I have already encountered two shiny Fletchinder's, so hopefully Ponyta shines next.

Also, for the people that hunt in the FS a lot, does it really feel all that accomplishing when you find a shiny there? When I got those shiny Fletchinders I didn't really feel anything because I went in knowing it'll be easy, and of course, it was. So I'm just curious what you all think.

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck!

Last edited:

Vhyra

Yea, I think most people SR legendaires with full odds since the shiny charm is frowned upon a lot (mostly by the shiny hunters on YT) but there are still some people that hunt them with the charm also. I got the Muskedeer trio shiny on White, so no shiny charm, but I'm thinking about going for another Virizion on my Black 2 with the charm.

Thanks for the response! I just got White 2 for the first time this past week so I know getting the Shiny Charm is practically impossible, especially if I want to SR for Virizion. Generation V is gone and past-- there's NO way I could complete the Pokedex! Bummer. But, I want that shiny Virizion so I'll be going against full odds as well. :D Thanks again!

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
Good Luck Blastonite!
Was the first Torrent? I only ask because that is my fear and why I have been sticking to safe shinies like Goomy, Zorua, Charmander, Mawile, And finally this darn Eevee

Alas it was Torrent. I was super excited! Then sad. THEN EXCITED. Lol still a 5IV shiny I hatched. Would preferred Protean but I'm hunting for one more before I move onto other Pokemon :3 GL TO YOU! Hopefully yours won't get torrent!

mapijs

well my biggest weakness is killing me at the moment... i am bad at focussing on 1 thing. yesterday i had 3 shinies in friend safari in a total of half an hour, but after serveral hours, yesterday and today nothing so far... i don't know if i should stay in friend safari, or go on with my MM honedge or go sweet scent somewhere....
still 12 shinies in pokemon Y, that's at least 7 more than in all my other games XD

Illusione-Tempus

So I was just searching for Pokemon in the Friend Safari. Mainly to register then for a database so I can find which ones I need if I forgot. P:

This Safari had a Stunfisk in it... And what are the odds that A FREAKING SHINY STUNFISK APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE OMG! Good thing I was wearing my headphones, otherwise I would have never noticed it... since it's so flat.

That's 2 ugly shinies in a row... Well not exactly, but now I need something I really want. .3.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Well I started hunting in the Friend Safari yesterday since I said I would give my friend a shiny Ponyta for Christmas, and I have already encountered two shiny Fletchinder's, so hopefully Ponyta shines next.

Also, for the people that hunt in the FS a lot, does it really feel all that accomplishing when you find a shiny there? When I got those shiny Fletchinders I didn't really feel anything because I went in knowing it'll be easy, and of course, it was. So I'm just curious what you all think.

I think the reason you didn't feel accomplished was because you didn't get what you were hunting for, and it happened twice.
When I found my first shiny magmar, I thought to myself "It's not a Charmeleon, but it's still cool!"
When I found my second shiny magmar, all I did was consider evolving it.
It's not the FS's fault.

Quils

Strange Creature
No new shinies for me, but I EV trained and evolved both my Nidoran and my Espurr.
[IMG139]http://i42.*******.com/281fwqh.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i44.*******.com/15rciuw.jpg[/IMG139]
I named him Burugon (Burû (Blue) + Baragon (a Kaiju that looks a lot like Nidoking))
[IMG139]http://i40.*******.com/28k62c4.jpg[/IMG139]
She's so cute ;u;
Also, I uploaded her video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReEWlh8OhaE

Good luck and congrats to everyone! c:

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
I got a shiny Fearow in 2757 REs in Y. So that means Community Hunt Complete #2. I'm now "mining" for fossils, and I'm at 75 for now since the battery needed charging. Thanks for the good luck and congrats on the shiny Tirtouga TheMaster. I'm ready to try for this hunt, since I'm going to try to actually complete this hunt and it will be my first completed SR. Congrats to everyone else's recent shinies and good luck to all ongoing hunts.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Congratulations on all the recent shinies!

I've been replaying Emerald recently, and right now I'm trying to collect all the Frontier symbols - so shiny hunting has taken a bit of a backseat. I've reached 11,915 SRs for Lugia without success, so I don't think I'll be able to get it before Christmas now... ah, well...

Good luck to everyone still hunting!

yoshi007

Ice Type Trainer
OH MY GOD GUYS

IT HAPPENED :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

432 eggs and finally my Shiny Larvesta appeared! Timid nature too as I made sure, but that's not all.

It's IVs are 31/xx/31/31/31/31... THAT IS PERFECT. I literally could not be happier oh my God. This is my first successful MM shiny and exactly what I wanted, literally I was hoping for it to have 3 or 4 perfect IVs. Out of all 400+ I had only gotten 2 other Larvesta with that spread of 5IVs, and one 6IV. That's 3 in 430 eggs. And then this happens. And oh my God. I literally cannot believe it but I'm so happy ahhhhhhh. :D

Also managed to nab a shiny Luvdisc earlier so overall a brilliant day for me in terms of shinies. :)

Congrats to everyone else on their shinies too! :3

EDIT: Picture proof, moment it hatched. :D

2013-12-22180925.jpg

Last edited:

mapijs

how to do the fossil thing?
do you just collect lots of fossils then change them to a pokemon and reset when you used all your fossils? or is calcuted before you exchange it if it's gonna be shiny or not?

also, isn't MM faster?

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
I think the reason you didn't feel accomplished was because you didn't get what you were hunting for, and it happened twice.
When I found my first shiny magmar, I thought to myself "It's not a Charmeleon, but it's still cool!"
When I found my second shiny magmar, all I did was consider evolving it.
It's not the FS's fault.

Well, I got another Fletchinder and then Ponyta like an hour later, it still didn't really feel all that accomplishing. I mean, I was happy since I could give it to my friend but meh, FS just isn't for me, too easy. But I guess its just more exciting for the newer shiny hunters.

And with all that being said, I'm now hunting in a steel safari for Mawile! Lol, I'm hunting for it because my Nephew really wants one, so yeah. I think I'll just camp at the safari till Christmas eve/day and just wonder trade all my shiny finds. Feelin' the Christmas spirit <3.

I think FS odds are just like the shiny charm odds, I get the same ammount of shinies on a daily base like the shiny charm.
I been hunting for spiritomb for over a week and got nothing, so it's actually still an achievement. Once I got 4 shinies in a day and once I get 1 shiny a week with several hours a day.

Oh, really? I'm finding shinies in the FS way easier than I was with the shiny charm on black 2 or at least it feels that way. Tbh, I feel like the odds are more like 1/500 but maybe I'm just really lucky. :x

Last edited:

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Well, I got another Fletchinder and then Ponyta like an hour later, it still didn't really feel all that accomplishing. I mean, I was happy since I could give it to my friend but meh, FS just isn't for me, too easy. But I guess its just more exciting for the newer shiny hunters.

And with all that being said, I'm now hunting in a steel safari for Mawile! Lol, I'm hunting for it because my Nephew really wants one, so yeah. I think I'll just camp at the safari till Christmas eve/day and just wonder trade all my shiny finds. Feelin' the Christmas spirit <3.

I think FS odds are just like the shiny charm odds, I get the same ammount of shinies on a daily base like the shiny charm.
I been hunting for spiritomb for over a week and got nothing, so it's actually still an achievement. Once I got 4 shinies in a day and once I get 1 shiny a week with several hours a day.

On my shiny news, gave the MM hunt a break and starting hunting for an shiny eevee, instead I got an minccino. Which sucks. I just want to start collecting eeveelutions.