• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
As for shiny hunting, I decided to start soft resetting for a shiny Amaura in X. I have three fossils, so the SR can go quite quickly. Currently I'm at 510 SR.

If I were you I'd just breed one so if nothing else you will have a few 5-6 IV ones in the time it takes to get the Shiny, and you have a good chance of having a 5-6IV shiny when it hatches. Just my thoughts tho.

wbartholomy

Shiny Collector
If I were you I'd just breed one so if nothing else you will have a few 5-6 IV ones in the time it takes to get the Shiny, and you have a good chance of having a 5-6IV shiny when it hatches. Just my thoughts tho.

Second that motion, but there is a certain satisfaction to SR for a shiny. Not many have the patience to do it. It would be a trophy shiny though.

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Ouch, sorry about the lost shiny Moltres. I'm suddenly reminded of my lost shiny Rayquaza, which took a full year or so to get back.

Ganieda

Midnight Valkyrie
Hello Guys,
after doing really bad at MM for shiny Mienfoo, I asked a great friend to help me, and ShinyHunter001 hatched that shiny Mienfoo for me withing 8 eggs! So happy now, he is adamant, and i don't really care that his only 31IV is special Attack since I don't battle competitively. Was a great christmas surprise =D
I started my Pokemon Y Version with an all-shiny team (which is freakingly overleveled now...)

I have a weird question: Does anyone of you know (or perchance is) Kerri (ID: 42666) ? I have a gorgeous 4IV shiny Eevee I received in a trade and want to nickname...so I thought I could try to find the OT ;-)

Good luck on all the shiny hunts, for this and for the next year too =D

Artnerd

Insane Artist
I've gotten 3 shinies so far in my Nuzlocke Badge Quest on X. A Scatterbug, Gulpin and Magikarp. All of them are fully evolved already. Currently softresetting in front of a dark spot in the Glittering Cave.

A suggestion for the community hunt of January; To celibate winter, either Ice only or shinies with white in their scheme, though there are too little shinies that turn white as their main feature, there are many that have white in them. For example, Whimsicott's fluff turns white when shiny, or Coferigus' coffin is white as shiny. But Mincchino who is already white without being shiny, would count too.

Dangertrout

I've gotten 3 shinies so far in my Nuzlocke Badge Quest on X. A Scatterbug, Gulpin and Magikarp. All of them are fully evolved already. Currently softresetting in front of a dark spot in the Glittering Cave.

A suggestion for the community hunt of January; To celibate winter, either Ice only or shinies with white in their scheme, though there are too little shinies that turn white as their main feature, there are many that have white in them. For example, Whimsicott's fluff turns white when shiny, or Coferigus' coffin is white as shiny. But Mincchino who is already white without being shiny, would count too.

Ice types is a possibility, but I'd rather not do another color-schemed hunt. Very few people actually liked it because it was too broad.
There was also the catch a shiny on the first route of a game idea to match the victory road hunt.
anyone else have an opinion on what we should do?

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
I think we should catch a Shiny Pokémon with visible Flames for our next hunt, like Ponyta!

Just a thought, but it may not be broad enough though...

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Well, according to the New Chinese Year calender, the new year will start in January 31st, which is exactly the last day of January. So I thought why not making a community hunt to tie with this big event ?
We could let people hunt for whatever they want, but to enter the community hunt, each shiny will have to be nicknamed based on the chinese pronounciation of a word ?
Let's say I find a shiny Oddish and I want to nickname it "flower"; I go in Google Translate, write "flower" from english into simplified chinese and the word coming out is a chinese sign (花), but just below is written how to pronounce it, which, in this case, is Huā. My Oddish will then be nicknamed Huā (or Hua to simplify). We could note, on the main post of this thread, each shiny with their names and make a chinese words compilation. :) The goal would be to get as many different words as possible (although getting many times the same word wouldn't bother).
This community hunt would let everyone enter, of course, but would let people discover new words from China to celebrate the chinese new year. It may be a little "free for all", but I think it would be original.

Last edited:

Dragonitor

<- Shiny Hunter
Whew so many Shinies again. It sure keeps me motivated. :) Anyways congratulations to everyone who got a Shiny. :)

So I managed to get my hands on a cheap Platinum game. So I thought why not do a BQ? XD So I have 3 BQs going on now. I hope one of them will give me a Shiny sometime soon. :)

So good luck to everyone and Im off double hunting again. :p

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Well, according to the New Chinese Year calender, the new year will start in January 31st, which is exactly the last day of January. So I thought why not making a community hunt to tie with this big event ?
We could let people hunt for whatever they want, but to enter the community hunt, each shiny will have to be nicknamed based on the chinese pronounciation of a word ?
Let's say I find a shiny Oddish and I want to nickname it "flower"; I go in Google Translate, write "flower" from english into simplified chinese and the word coming out is a chinese sign (花), but just below is written how to pronounce it, which, in this case, is Huā. My Oddish will then be nicknamed Huā (or Hua to simplify). We could note, on the main post of this thread, each shiny with their names and make a chinese words compilation. :) The goal would be to get as many different words as possible (although getting many times the same word wouldn't bother).
This community hunt would let everyone enter, of course, but would let people discover new words from China to celebrate the chinese new year. It may be a little "free for all", but I think it would be original.

I like the idea of Chinese New Year themed hunt... but not so much a fan of the nickname idea, mostly because i don't nickname my Shiny Pokemon.

At a quick glance, these are the following animals related to the Chinese calendar;

Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog & Pig.

So, how about a hunt wherein people have to try and get as many "related/themed" Shiny Pokemon as possible. This wouldn't be an easy CH to complete, but it would be interesting to see which Pokemon people choose to go after, especially when restricted in such a way.

Certain exceptions could be made based on limited pokemon for each animal, but only so far as being related to the same Order/Family... i.e. Rats, belong to the Order of Rodentia, which also pertains to beavers & squirrels, meaning you could choose to hunt Pachirisu or Bibarel.

An example hunt could be;

Pachirisu(Order of Rodentia), Bouffalant(Family of Bovinae), Purugly(The Tiger Cat Pokemon), Axew(Dragon), Seviper(Snake), Horsea(Sea-Horse ;) ), Skiddo(Goat), Pansage(Monkey), Unfezant(Order of Phasianidae), Poochyena(Order of Carnivora), Spoink(Pig).

Last edited:

LexSuicune

Feraligatr Master
Literally Ain't nobody got time fa dat girl.

I say we hunt something that not a lot of people hunt, a Pokemon so underrated, spread its shininess accross the fandom <3.

Like Shiny Seel, <3 so barely shiny.

Xionea

Half a centaur
I semi-accidentally found a shiny Beldum when doing MM today. I was mostly doing it to get a perfect Metagross for competitive play and then try for a shiny after I got a perfect one, but after only 11 (!) eggs, a shiny Beldum hatched! It totally caught me off guard cause I've never had a shiny Pokemon hatch that quickly. So that was a nice surprise. Only has max IVs in Speed so thats a bit of a bummer, but it's a shiny so I don't mind!

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
I like the idea of Chinese New Year themed hunt... but not so much a fan of the nickname idea, mostly because i don't nickname my Shiny Pokemon.

At a quick glance, these are the following animals related to the Chinese calendar;

Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog & Pig.

So, how about a hunt wherein people have to try and get as many "related/themed" Shiny Pokemon as possible. This wouldn't be an easy CH to complete, but it would be interesting to see which Pokemon people choose to go after, especially when restricted in such a way.

Certain exceptions could be made based on limited pokemon for each animal, but only so far as being related to the same Order/Family... i.e. Rats, belong to the Order of Rodentia, which also pertains to beavers & squirrels, meaning you could choose to hunt Pachirisu or Bibarel.

An example hunt could be;

Pachirisu(Order of Rodentia), Bouffalant(Family of Bovinae), Purugly(The Tiger Cat Pokemon), Axew(Dragon), Seviper(Snake), Horsea(Sea-Horse ;) ), Skiddo(Goat), Pansage(Monkey), Unfezant(Order of Phasianidae), Poochyena(Order of Carnivora), Spoink(Pig).

I like this idea. I like it a lot!!!
And I am wanting to hunt for a Shiny Pikachu, so he would work as a Rat, and a Bunnelby for Competitive play.

I am wondering...could tiger and Cat be the same. I mean, I am looking at Fruit Basket...and they have the Cat as one of the Zodiacs. And let us not forget Okami, who also added the cat.

---

I hope Pokebank is going to be fixed soon, a long with the Nintendo eShop problem and such. I want to get photoes of my Shiny Pokemon in Black and White in my X.

Also, I am now stuck back in the beginning. You see, I got a Pikachu 3DS XL for Christmas...which means all of my friends over on my old 3DS are not in my new game. Also, I cannot save in Lumiose at the moment because I cannot download the update. [I also cannot go on line]
So, quite literally, I am stuck. Ah well...I guess I can try to look for a Pikachu with Lightning rod on my old 3DS over on the GTS.
I still cannot believe I got a shiny Omanyte...

mapijs

i am atm MMing the starters that i got today!!!!
have been doing some GTS and wonder trade and got myself
treecko,totodile,mudkip,piplup,turtwig and tepig
if anyone wants one of these for MM just give me a PM (i'm EU,dutch)

btw, what starter do you guys love the most as shiny of the little list above?

i think emboar, love the blue flames, kinda the X charizard :p

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Ice types is a possibility, but I'd rather not do another color-schemed hunt. Very few people actually liked it because it was too broad.
There was also the catch a shiny on the first route of a game idea to match the victory road hunt.

W we ring in the NEW YEAR wit a new pokemon in this generation? We can hunt for Gen VI pokemon, or we could hunt for pokemon that mega evolve?

Congratulations everyone on your shinies and good luck to those who are hunting!
I just got back from a holiday and I got 2 shinies while I was on holiday. I got a Skiddo with the pokeradar (IVs are 31/31/23/31/31/26 :O) and a Shuppet at 311 eggs! It's IVs are 31/28/12/5/31/31. I am now going to try breed a 6 perfect IV Honedge and start a MM hunt for a shiny Honedge once I get one with 5 or 6 perfect IVs. I'm not an expert on IVs so I'm hoping I do this right... :I

Daylin

Dark Type Trainer
Does anybody know if there is a shiny Kecleon scripted in Pokemon Ruby + Sapphire? I remember finding one on Route 120 in my Ruby version. I decided to play the game again and restarted (I was young and didn't really know the significance of shiny Pokemon) and I found one in the same spot! I figure the chances of that happening are astronomical so I'm wondering if there's always a shiny there, like shiny Gyarados in Silver/Gold.

Xionea

Half a centaur
I am now going to try breed a 6 perfect IV Honedge and start a MM hunt for a shiny Honedge once I get one with 5 or 6 perfect IVs. I'm not an expert on IVs so I'm hoping I do this right... :I

From what I know of, an Aegislash with 0 IVs in Speed is the way to go if you plan to use it competitively. That way a majority of the time people are attacking it in its defense form.

Does anybody know if there is a shiny Kecleon scripted in Pokemon Ruby + Sapphire? I remember finding one on Route 120 in my Ruby version. I decided to play the game again and restarted (I was young and didn't really know the significance of shiny Pokemon) and I found one in the same spot! I figure the chances of that happening are astronomical so I'm wondering if there's always a shiny there, like shiny Gyarados in Silver/Gold.

Nope. You're just really lucky.

I'm really unsure of what to hunt for next. I want to continue hunting in the Friend Safari after I evolve my shiny Beldum, but all my Safaris all have at least one Pokemon I'd rather not have as a shiny. Guess I just have to take a risk. I mean, I'll still take any shiny I find.

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
Found two shiny Spritzee over Christmas, both male, named them Krampus and Nick.
Still hunting for my last badge quest shiny in my other game and having no luck so far, but I did find a Spinda with a really neat pattern so there's that I guess?