• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Thanks for the gratz guys! :]

Idk why, and I feel stupid for feeling this way, but I really like this meme ;_;

Lol ikr! I don't why I like this meme so much either, but I just had to do it when I got Houndour. xD

I do have a question though, as I am close to complete ting the national dex, does the shiny charm work in MM or the friend Safari? or is it just normal random encounters?

It most likely works with MMing just like last gen, but I'm not sure about the Friend Safari since its already pretty easy to get shinies there. Then again, it does seem like they want shinies to be a lot more easier to obtain this gen, so I wouldn't be surprised if it works there also.

--------------------

So, Houndour took only 316 eggs and the IVs are x/x/31/31/31/31 which is good enough for me! As long as it got max special attack and speed, I'm happy. Hot Doge has already been EV trained and evolved, and I must say, shiny Mega Houndoom is so, soo much amaze. I'm now MMing for my next shiny mega target, Ampharos! I already have a shiny Mareep I caught in Soul Silver, but it has a jolly nature and probably bad IVs, so yea. Hopefully this cotton candy sheep doesn't take me too long. :]

Gratz on all the recent shinies, especially Cyberra on Beldum! Good luck everyone.

Joren56

I was training at the cerulean cave on my FireRed today when I randomly encountered a shiny Magneton. It was ages ago encountering a shiny so I definitly caught it!

CallMyName

3.3k mm on spritzee yet and no shiny yet woot woot T_T is my game been glitch? :D and how do you tell if a pokemon is instacheck shiny? ^^

Sito

Shiny Breeder
WOOO, after 15 boxes of Tyrunts, finally gor a shiny :), it is Jolly with Ice,Fire,Thunder Fang, and Dragon Dance, sadly its x/x/31/31/31/31, but I will still use it :D, will post pictures later

Covert Cactus

<--- Halloween shiny
Just caught a shiny mankey in the friend safari. I can barely tell the difference between that one and the normal. Good thing I was looking or I wouldn't I have noticed.

Scrufox86

Oh WOW! My first Friend Safari Shiny! I was just reading up about others farming lucky eggs from Chansey's in FS and just thought why not try to get some more lucky eggs (even though I am not sure why I'd need more considering the exp share). And a shiny little Lillipup with green eyes came to me. I caught it in a luxury ball. I am just so glad I finally got a shiny from FS as I was doubting the shiny rate in there. I think I may feel differently about the FS now.

By the way congratulations to all new shinies and good luck to all shiny hunters!

Jonah White

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH! I AM SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!

(let me elaborate...)

I have been trying for AGES to successfully chain a shiny pokemon on route 7.
It's like the route was cursed cause my chains would always somehow brake,
even though they didn't in other MUCH HARDER to chain patches on other routes.

Well today my luck changed.....I SUCCESSFULLY CHAINED A SHINY SWIRLIX!!!
It is soooooooo adorable and I've given it an equally adorable name...Butterscotch!
It has 'superior' stats with two perfect IVs in Sp. Attack and Defence. Its nature is Docile,
I'm not sure whether that's good or bad....

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS to all the INCREDIBLE shiny hunters here, both enjoying success or still hunting.
Good luck to you all!!!!

AND MAY THE SHINE BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR!

JoshRJV77

I feel like the most unlucky person when it comes to shinies! I got the shiny charm in my pokemon Y and still no luck with wild pokemon, I've done 500+ horde battles in the last day and a half and nothing!! Lol, but I hear people getting multiple shinies in a day! Anyone else having any luck with the shiny charm?

Just caught a shiny mankey in the friend safari. I can barely tell the difference between that one and the normal. Good thing I was looking or I wouldn't I have noticed.
I agree! I also caught a shiny monkey in the friend safari and could hardly tell! The green is so subtle!

Last edited:

SEdive07

DIVEstrong
So last night after busting through the first 300 SR's for Moltres I decided that I wanted to see something shine so I chain fished. First I pulled up the Carvahna that I have wanted for a while after 27 catches. I thought "Wow let's go for one more so I can keep one and evolve one." That was a terrible idea because after a 144 chain I got a Goldeen...... oh well I caught it anyway!

Ajduk

I am working on a shiny pokemon in FS theory.
When you get one, please tell me in which safari and
in game time. Might be onto something :)

Sealotic

I took a little pause of Shiny Hunting since XY arrived (even if I got some shinies during that period) and now I think I'm back to Shiny Hunting!
So I opened my Pearl version and tried to chain for a Ponyta, something easy to start. I had my Emerald version in the dual slot (since I was doing steps on X with my 3DS to train a Larvesta, but whatever...) On this route, I broke my ponyta chain at ...4 I think and a wild Gligar appeared. So I start to chain a 8% Gligar and on my first try I got to chain 40!
But I didn't know how long it would be to have a shiny patch... it took 3 hours and my DS almost died when I saw it.
Oh well, male shiny Gligar with a Serious nature which I don't care since I've always wanted a Shiny Gliscor !

Also, on another topic, I cannot wait until Pokebank arrives because I have 6 box of 'mons to transfer to get my Shiny Charm and start to MM a Milotic, a Volcarona and a Ninetales...

Good luck with your hunts ! (Especially The Prince Of May on Kyogre because... he's my only friend :'( )

mapijs

after a few afk hours of horde encouters, i suddenly saw a mime jr. which dyed his hair green ;)
second horde encouter shiny, i am not sure if i am gonna keep it as a Mime jr. or gonna evolve it, i don't have any competitive use for a mr. mime.

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies, especially Cyberra on that shiny Beldum.
So.... I have news to report. I was hunting in the friend safari for a Fletchinder with Gale Wings, Adamant Nature and decent IVs, Id say I caught and released well over 100 fletchinders without luck but suddenly... BAM .... SHINY CHARMELEON! I am happy despite having a shiny Charmander on gen 5, but this one is Adamant, so perfect for M-Charizard X! Good luck to everyone that needs it!

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
Started to MM shiny Venipede. I just love Shiny Scolipede, so I want one on my X too. Haven't got many eggs, because I'm also training to Elite 4, but still.

JoshRJV77

Also, on another topic, I cannot wait until Pokebank arrives because I have 6 box of 'mons to transfer to get my Shiny Charm and start to MM a Milotic, a Volcarona and a Ninetales...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw in X and Y the shiny charm only applies to wild pokemon! I have the shiny charm and was bummed cuz I'm trying to MM a couple pokemon!

Sealotic

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw in X and Y the shiny charm only applies to wild pokemon! I have the shiny charm and was bummed cuz I'm trying to MM a couple pokemon!

I really think the Shiny Charm affects all of the pokemon's, wild or eggs because I've seen some stats saying that MM (in 5th gen) was even easier with the Shiny Charm.
I guess it's the same in this generation, but I guess we could ask for the confirmation of someone else... **Anybody in the room? :p**

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Nope, in 5th Gen it does work on all Pokemon, but now only on wilds in 6th Gen.

Mr. Shinx

My frustration with my shiny hunting has hit a new level! After hunting on average a few hours a day, which normally gets me a shiny every couple of weeks, and been SRing for a Fennekin on my Y BQ since release day (which is the most boring SR hunt I've ever done!), and now hunting for Ho-oh on my Heart Gold BQ, plus starting a Charmander hunt on a Fire Red BQ - I have found myself once soft resetting before I even checked to see if Fennekin was a shiny! I'm really hoping I've only done that once and that I haven't subconsciously soft resetted too soon. To think I may have skipped past a shiny infruriates me!

With my wedding last week, and then Christmas, hunting has understandably been slow. But I'm stepping up a gear, determined to get this BQ started. Please wish me luck, need as much as I can.

Congrats to everyone on your recent shinies.

LexSuicune

Feraligatr Master
My frustration with my shiny hunting has hit a new level! After hunting on average a few hours a day, which normally gets me a shiny every couple of weeks, and been SRing for a Fennekin on my Y BQ since release day (which is the most boring SR hunt I've ever done!), and now hunting for Ho-oh on my Heart Gold BQ, plus starting a Charmander hunt on a Fire Red BQ - I have found myself once soft resetting before I even checked to see if Fennekin was a shiny! I'm really hoping I've only done that once and that I haven't subconsciously soft resetted too soon. To think I may have skipped past a shiny infruriates me!

With my wedding last week, and then Christmas, hunting has understandably been slow. But I'm stepping up a gear, determined to get this BQ started. Please wish me luck, need as much as I can.

Congrats to everyone on your recent shinies.

Congrats on your wedding and Good luck, you'll get those shinies EVENTUALLY, it's all a matter of patience.

I'd advice sticking to that Fennekin one first and just go balls to the wall until you get it.

Just got a 5IV Modest Flabébé through a Masuda Hunt, White Flower, Premiere Ball, she's absolutely perfect.

Will post pics once I find a Shiny Stone to evolve her lol, I have none in my game.