• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Sehjenkai

hey guysi ive got a question for the masuda method...

i have 2 american games amd systems

change 1 game to japanese language and such

i breed pokes on japan game and trade em over to my english game

in my english game the pokemon from the jpn game( which was bought in america) shows the black jpn box in its info showing its foreign

will i be benefiting from the masuda method breeding?

*note* i did do this and yes the pokemon is showing the foreign black box from the game i changed.

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!

in my english game the pokemon from the jpn game( which was bought in america) shows the black jpn box in its info showing its foreign

*note* i did do this and yes the pokemon is showing the foreign black box from the game i changed.

I'm not entirely sure. I know Storm_Dragoon was testing it with her copies purchased in Canada with one set to Japanese. She posted the picture of the box, but she hasn't said anything more about it :/

Sehjenkai

I'm not entirely sure. I know Storm_Dragoon was testing it with her copies purchased in Canada with one set to Japanese. She posted the picture of the box, but she hasn't said anything more about it :/

well im testing the theory eith some gligars atm, im 2 boxes in right now so if i get a shiny ill certainly report the results :)

tothewest88

I know they're not very exciting Shinies, but I digress- I got encountered a shiny Foongus and a shiny Hoppip in Horde Encounters yesterday! A shiny is a shiny, and I did a happy dance. *not literally* :)

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter

MM should still work, good luck! :]

i hatched another shiny yamask but its 5IVs with a special attack IV of 2. 2!! ugh

EDIT: I kept going and got a better one

Tbh, I would of kept the first one you hatched with 22 in defence, its not like those 9 points would have made a huge difference anyways, but congratz. :]

----------------------

Well, Feebas is now over 1200 eggs, so it looks like my MM luck has dried up :[. But I'm not giving up anytime soon. My hunt for Unown is going smoothly also but I really wish Feebas would hatch already. =/

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone.

Icon4Hire

Pokemon Breeder
Put my shiny tyrogue hunt on hold to hatch some electrike and houndour eggs. I have quite a few pokemon in my boxes I need to get rid of.

Dangertrout

Community Hunt Complete x2!!
Yesterday was slow at work, so I had some time to hatch more eggs.
Another shiny Chespin was in the 10th box of eggs. Male with Bulletproof this time ^_^
Checking IVs after I'm done hatching all the eggs.

Today I'm sick :( but hey, maybe I can finish hatching everything

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Anyway, someone wouldn't happen to have a Meowth they'd be willing to part with, would they?

I know you already got an offer, but I also have Meowth on Gen VI and I can breed one for you :) PM if interested.

From what I have heard, this DOES work, because MM is determined by language in XY instead of region. As long as the Pokemon's foreign black box is present, it counts as the Masuda Method if you breed it with a Pokemon from your own game.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to TheResidentEvil on both Feebas, Ambri on Tyrunt, Keovix on Cresselia and Uxie and Azelf and Mesprit, backwardinduction on Roselia, manske90 on Smeargle,wingman32x on Tyrunt, Cutty on Quagsire, ArdhiS on Treecko, Samus_Aran on Ralts, ClipOwl on Skiddo, Foxeaf on Buneary and both Cyndaquils, Greedy Chibi on Furfrou, Lugia12 on Mienshao, Dangertrout on Chespin, and everyone else on their shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Ambri :)

--------------

Not shiny news, but I did train my Bibarel up from level 55 to 70, and it’s definitely helped. In my 3 tries since leveling, I caught Giratina once, and during the 3 tries, I was able to throw 25 (caught), 26, and 32 pokeballs respectively. Prior to this, the maximum number I was able to throw was 19 before it struggled. Of course, I’m still far way off from ‘ensuring’ capture…

I’m having trouble figuring out how to go about Giratina, since I have a few options…So if anyone thinks they have good ideas, feel free to help me decide or give me different insight. I’ll put it in spoilers since it’s a lot of junk.

As I’ve recently said, I want to catch all my shinies in regular pokeballs, preferably legendaries as well. I also want to try to get it for my Badge Quest. Following my own BQ rules, I can only use the shinies that are part of my BQ (which you can see in my sig) – so no, I can’t just get a Parasect with Spore (or rather, I won’t).

I’m already using Machamp for Foresight, and Bibarel for Super Fang and Yawn.

Gastly knows hypnosis, and I could give it X Accuracies to increase the chance of landing hypnosis first try (which is critical, since my Gastly is high risk for a OHKO). However, being a first stage mon and having low defenses, it can’t take hits well (I did, however, EV train it max in Def and Sp. Def). Additionally, Gastly is weak to Ghost, which make up 2 of Giratina’s moves. I can swap to Bibarel if I see it’s using Shadow Force, but Ominous Wind could be fatal, and costly in the end. Also, if it gets knocked out, the X Accuracies’ effects are removed.

So…

Option #1: Keep sticking to Bibarel with Yawn. Even though this won’t let me throw more than ~35 pokeballs (with a 1/50 chance of catching). Ie. I’m relying primarily on chance, and the odds won’t be in my favor that the shiny one stays in the pokeball.

Option #2: Train up Gastly, bring some X Accs., sleep Giratina with Bibarel, switch in Gastly, use the X Accs while asleep, hopefully not get OHKOd when it wakes, and hope to land Hypnosis first try before it can use another move. Then, if not OHKOd, heal up while asleep, then continue throwing pokeballs.

Option #3: Similar to Option #2, except hold off on using Gastly until Giratina mainly has (or only has) Dragon Claw left.

Option #4: With either Options #2 or #3, teach Gastly “Trick” and give it a Leppa Berry. Use it on Giratina to try to restore a 5 PP move (Not sure how Trick works – would doing that even work?). Downside is that it would most likely restore a move that could OHKO Gastly, and might not really end up working.

And as a reminder, Giratina has 30 PP total. Each use of Yawn generally costs Giratina 3 PP – one when it wakes up, one when I use Yawn, and one before it falls asleep. Hypnosis, in an ideal scenario, would only cost Giratina 1 PP each time…Which means I have more chances to sleep Giratina, which means more chances to throw pokeballs.

I suppose I do have an Option #5…Kill Giratina, and hunt something else for my last BQ pokemon, then hunt Giratina afterwards with less restrictive pokemon (but still aiming to capture it in a pokeball). I would really like to have Giratina be my final BQ pokemon, but at the same time, I suppose I care more about catching it in a Pokeball than I do having it on my BQ.

So if you have any input about this, please let me know :)

----------

At any rate, between training up Bibarel, working, and hanging out with friends, I’ve only managed 100 REs on Black 2 and HeartGold yesterday, and none the day before :x I’m still really focusing on figuring out how to catch Giratina in a pokeball, which is annoying since I really want to keep hunting >.<

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:

Sehjenkai

thanks for the answers guys! i rrally appreciate the help! off to get my shiny charizard!!

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
YES! I finally got shiny!

After 38 horde encouters, shiny Nidoran M appeared. Luckiky it was in the middle of horde, so it was easy to catch. :D
He has Imprish nature and perfect IV's in Special Defence, not sure about others. Im just so happy!

radjess331

Reptile Keeper
Looking for a shiny noibat, got a shiny sliggoo to trade :)

Last edited:

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat
Caught a random shiny Cubone just now while I was running around in Glittering Cave for a Lunatone. Brave nature, no idea what the IVs are, but pretty cute.

TheMaster327

Congrats to TheResidentEvil on both Feebas, Ambri on Tyrunt, Keovix on Cresselia and Uxie and Azelf and Mesprit, backwardinduction on Roselia, manske90 on Smeargle,wingman32x on Tyrunt, Cutty on Quagsire, ArdhiS on Treecko, Samus_Aran on Ralts, ClipOwl on Skiddo, Foxeaf on Buneary and both Cyndaquils, Greedy Chibi on Furfrou, Lugia12 on Mienshao, Dangertrout on Chespin, and everyone else on their shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Ambri :)

--------------

Not shiny news, but I did train my Bibarel up from level 55 to 70, and it’s definitely helped. In my 3 tries since leveling, I caught Giratina once, and during the 3 tries, I was able to throw 25 (caught), 26, and 32 pokeballs respectively. Prior to this, the maximum number I was able to throw was 19 before it struggled. Of course, I’m still far way off from ‘ensuring’ capture…

I’m having trouble figuring out how to go about Giratina, since I have a few options…So if anyone thinks they have good ideas, feel free to help me decide or give me different insight. I’ll put it in spoilers since it’s a lot of junk.

As I’ve recently said, I want to catch all my shinies in regular pokeballs, preferably legendaries as well. I also want to try to get it for my Badge Quest. Following my own BQ rules, I can only use the shinies that are part of my BQ (which you can see in my sig) – so no, I can’t just get a Parasect with Spore (or rather, I won’t).

Gastly knows hypnosis, and I could give it X Accuracies to increase the chance of landing hypnosis first try (which is critical, since my Gastly is high risk for a OHKO). However, being a first stage mon and having low defenses, it can’t take hits well (I did, however, EV train it max in Def and Sp. Def). Additionally, Gastly is weak to Ghost, which make up 2 of Giratina’s moves. I can swap to Bibarel if I see it’s using Shadow Force, but Ominous Wind could be fatal, and costly in the end. Also, if it gets knocked out, the X Accuracies’ effects are removed.

So…

Option #1: Keep sticking to Bibarel with Yawn. Even though this won’t let me throw more than ~35 pokeballs (with a 1/50 chance of catching). Ie. I’m relying primarily on chance, and the odds won’t be in my favor that the shiny one stays in the pokeball.

Option #2: Train up Gastly, bring some X Accs., sleep Giratina with Bibarel, switch in Gastly, use the X Accs while asleep, hopefully not get OHKOd when it wakes, and hope to land Hypnosis first try before it can use another move. Then, if not OHKOd, heal up while asleep, then continue throwing pokeballs.

Option #3: Similar to Option #2, except hold off on using Gastly until Giratina mainly has (or only has) Dragon Claw left.

Option #4: With either Options #2 or #3, teach Gastly “Trick” and give it a Leppa Berry. Use it on Giratina to try to restore a 5 PP move (Not sure how Trick works – would doing that even work?). Downside is that it would most likely restore a move that could OHKO Gastly, and might not really end up working.

And as a reminder, Giratina has 30 PP total. Each use of Yawn generally costs Giratina 3 PP – one when it wakes up, one when I use Yawn, and one before it falls asleep. Hypnosis, in an ideal scenario, would only cost Giratina 1 PP each time…Which means I have more chances to sleep Giratina, which means more chances to throw pokeballs.

I suppose I do have an Option #5…Kill Giratina, and hunt something else for my last BQ pokemon, then hunt Giratina afterwards with less restrictive pokemon (but still aiming to capture it in a pokeball). I would really like to have Giratina be my final BQ pokemon, but at the same time, I suppose I care more about catching it in a Pokeball than I do having it on my BQ.

----------

At any rate, between training up Bibarel, working, and hanging out with friends, I’ve only managed 100 REs on Black 2 and HeartGold yesterday, and none the day before :x I’m still really focusing on figuring out how to catch Giratina in a pokeball, which is annoying since I really want to keep hunting >.<

Good luck, everyone!

Not a genius idea, but, ever thought of evolving Gastly? Might improve its longevity against a mighty Giratina, which will almost definitely be faster than Gastly. That's my idea, if I were you.

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
About 300 eggs into the charmander hunt. Nothing yet, but I do have a name picked out. So there's that. Doing it a box at a time and wonder trading off the rejects. Slowly filling up my national dex that way.

I'll report back when Bloodfeast the Extremeinator shines.

anothername

Well nothing new except the new SHINY LEGENDARY Ho-oh AT GPX PLUS (super rare to hatch you can see in the sig)

I've been tryin to get shiny terrakion on both my black and white 2 files to no avail, seriously I must be getting around 30000 srs already its the 5th time I resumed this hunt and I stopped counting around 20000 srs... just this one to get the shiny trio (both the others together were in under 5000 srs) .

Everlasting

Everything stays.

So…

I have an idea for this tiny problem, Cpchris, I hope you will like it!

I see your Machamp has Foresight and Bibarel has Yawn and Super Fang. That is cool, but I have something here even cooler (well, to me...) to make you win this Giratina easily! But for it, make sure Machamp or Luxray has Scary Face. It's pretty important.
My strategy is to, prior to the battle, put your Staraptor to 1 HP (see below for a trick how to easily do it) while it knows the move Endeavor. Make sure Machamp uses Foresight and, to be safe, having Machamp (again) or Luxray to use Scary Face to be far from sure Staraptor will go first. Let Giratina knock out one of your Pokémon (perhaps Gastly ?) and then send Staraptor and use Endeavor safely. Here you go, Giratina with 1 HP left! Just use a move to put it asleep (Yawn, Hypnosis or GrassWhistle) and this Giratina is an easy catch!

Few small tools that can help you in your catch; Luxray or Machamp can use Scary Face if you want Bibarel or Staraptor (very important if you use my strategy) to be faster than Giratina. Roserade can paralyse it with Stun Spore (if you still have it) and put Giratina asleep with GrassWhistle (if you still have it), although yours has Poison Point, so not a good idea. Bibarel can use Yawn to put asleep (although not very useful as it takes so many turns to activate). Gastly can have Hypnosis, which is always useful if you manage to hit it. Gastly is not quite strong, so making it evolve into Gengar would be, honestly, the best thing to do (I sincerely think Gengar's shiny form is yet minimal but amazingly beautiful), but if you wanna stick with Gastly, I respect fully your choice. :)
Also, to put Staraptor to exactly 1 HP, I propose you to poison it somehow (with Roserade in a double battle, perhaps ?) and then, after the battle's over, walk around until its HP is at 1, and only then you will heal it with an Antidote.
Of course, you can always pick up some Heart Scales underground afterward to rearrange your movesets, because I wouldn't like, myself, to use Foresight, Endeavor and Scary Face in a normal playthrough, but that's up to you!

What do you think ? :D

Last edited:

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
400 eggs later...

Nothing still.

I filled 3 boxes at once, maybe even more...maybe 5...Yeah...5 box now. 150 eggs at once. That way, it'll stay a little even when I am counting the eggs.
...Watch...Pichu hatches on the first box. That would just be my luck!

I...kind of hope it'll hatch soon. It is starting to feel like Swirlix all over again.
Then again...I feel kind of different with this one. After Estrala...and Marin...and even Oxnard...I cannot just give up now.
So, I will keep going. No matter how many eggs I must hatch. My mother finds it hard to believe that I am still going for it! The reason...is because I want to feel complete. I want to know I did something. I got something from hard work. And you guys know that more than I do, because you guys have been doing it more than I have.

So, I'll get moving and fill up my 5 boxes before the end of the week. I start school tomorrow, so I'll not be able to play until I finish my assignment for the day [I take Virtual School...NOT EASY!]
A new year means new beginnings...And shiny hunting...I think it'll be helping me quite a bit this year.

Congratulations to everyone who got themselves some shiny Pokemon, not to mention the Shiny Charm! [I am trying to fill that, myself. 385 Pokemon at the moment...my mother has a little more than me], and good luck to all who are hunting. Do not give up, because you never know when it might be your lucky break.
I hope you all have a Fantastic day!
~Misty

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
Took a break from hunting Tyrogue and Mienfoo to try some chain fishing, with no luck. Added a few new friends, and while checking out the available Pokemon, I met and caught a shiny Dedenne. Nearly had a heart attack. This is the first time ever since I started playing Pokemon that I catch, let alone meet, more than one shiny in a single game.

She doesn't have her HA, but at least, she's female :)