• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

DarkOverlord777

The Dragon Mage
I have decided to put my porygon MM in X on hold in favor of sr'ing regirock! I have never soft reset for a shiny before, and the regi's are my absolute favorite pokemon, so I thought I would soft reset for it in my white 2! I will not, however, be counting the soft resets I do as it would drive me bonkers. But let's hope for my sake it shines early! About how long, on average, do your soft reset hunts take( time wise)? Always good to know what to expect before heading into it! Thanks!

Congrats on recent shinies and good luck to all!

Chrisachu

The Newcomer
May i ask where the ebst place to chain for Fletching or evos is?
Also a tale of woe. As i finished my 40 chain of Klefki i was quite excited and ready for the shiny patch. I walk to the patch and swap my synchro up front *a level 10 abra* i miss the patch by one ok no big deal I make the turn to step into it and get an encounter T.T damn you skorupi!!!

Edit: Got the Shiny Klefki but the darn thing didnt get the synchronize. Oh well back at it ^-^
Edit2: Got the relaxed Shiny Klefki i was looking for <3

Last edited:

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
what is this tipping method all speak off??

congradulations on shimies...i feel so left out! taken abreak from boxing seedots to hatch on order to re in fs....

i do not have a single shiny in this game.
*weeps*

good luck everyone...i will hopefully hatch mopre eggs in jan.

Laurelai

1100+ eggs and the shiny Larvitar continues to elude me :( I took a break and hatched about 200 eevee eggs and had two pop within 2 eggs of each other, but neither had its hidden ability (I REALLY want a lime green Magic Bounce Espeon!!) so now my total shiny eeveelution count is Jolteon, Umbreon, Vaporeon, Glaceon and Sylveon. Eevee is being really stingy with that HA. Back to the Larvitar though, I have gotten a fair number of 5 IV babies :) They are as perfect as they need to be because they are only missing the 31 in SpAtk.

OK YOU CAN SHINE NOW LARVITAR!!

Iwanuq

Iwan
Was running through a new fs and got myself a shiny larvesta in under five mins of entering the safari :) so far I've got an abra, quilladin, Sawk, emolga and a helioptile

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to L-Knight on Oddish, Laurelai on both Eevees, and everyone else on their shinies!

-----------

Not a genius idea, but, ever thought of evolving Gastly? Might improve its longevity against a mighty Giratina, which will almost definitely be faster than Gastly. That's my idea, if I were you.

Thought of, yes, but never considered it a real option since Gastly is one of my dream shinies :p I’m not as worried about speed though, since Gastly’s base speed is only 10 lower than Giratina’s, and if my math is right, Giratina’s max speed at Lv. 47 (31 IV + good nature, not counting Ancient Power/Ominous Wind stat boosts) is 114-115, and my Gastly is at 111.

Thanks for the idea though. I want to be aware of as many potential plans as possible :)

Dragonitor sent me this message, though I’m unable to respond to it directly, so I’ll do so here:
Alright I've seen you could use some help with your Giratina problem and I have some suggestions.

1) Evolve your Gastly, it will be stronger and capable of doing more. (So unless you really don't want to do so, I would evolve it. :) ... Shiny Mega Gengar is awesome. ;) ) Another option would be to lvl up your Gastly to insane lvls like 80 and up.
2) I don't know if you thought of this and if it's still possible but Roselia learns GrassWhistle at lvl 22. SO I don't know if you thought your Roselia that move because then you might have a better chance at keeping it asleep.
3) You could learn your Staraptor Endure and Endeavor to get Giratina to 1 HP (Since none of your Shinies can learn False Swipe.)
4) Well there are more options but since you only want to use your BQ shinies you limit yourself pretty much to anything you already came up with yourself. (and my suggestions)

Anyways it's up to you which strategy you choose and ofcourse I wish you the best of luck with whatever strategy or hunt you will choose. :)

For number one, same as what I said above…It’s too much of a dream shiny of mine to evolve it :p

Number two, that’s a great idea. I saw it had GrassWhistle before I even found mine, but kind of discredited it because of the accuracy (very stupid of me, since it’s only 5 less than hypnosis). Considering Roserade takes normal damage from Ghosts, unlike Gastly, it would have been a good choice. But I didn’t teach it Grass Whistle when it was a Roselia, and now as a Roserade, I can’t teach it or have it relearned anymore :(

Number three, never even thought of those moves. Maybe instead of Endure (since Ghost moves won’t hit it, and it might take multiple attacks that I can’t really afford in order to drain the HP), I could go in with her HP at one…Thought I’d need for a Ghost type move to be used, otherwise I’m dead at switch-in :x It’d also be a great bonus to have her intimidate lower Giratina’s attack. I suppose I could attempt it at the risk of sacrificing one of Giratina’s PP…Best case scenario, Giratina’s HP is dropped in one hit instead of 4, worst case scenario, I lose one of Giratina’s moves but lower his attack a little.

Wish I could try 2 out, but I’ll give 3 a shot too and see how it works out. Thanks a lot :)

I have an idea for this tiny problem, Cpchris, I hope you will like it!

I see your Machamp has Foresight and Bibarel has Yawn and Super Fang. That is cool, but I have something here even cooler (well, to me...) to make you win this Giratina easily! But for it, make sure Machamp or Luxray has Scary Face. It's pretty important.
My strategy is to, prior to the battle, put your Staraptor to 1 HP (see below for a trick how to easily do it) while it knows the move Endeavor. Make sure Machamp uses Foresight and, to be safe, having Machamp (again) or Luxray to use Scary Face to be far from sure Staraptor will go first. Let Giratina knock out one of your Pokémon (perhaps Gastly ?) and then send Staraptor and use Endeavor safely. Here you go, Giratina with 1 HP left! Just use a move to put it asleep (Yawn, Hypnosis or GrassWhistle) and this Giratina is an easy catch!

Few small tools that can help you in your catch; Luxray or Machamp can use Scary Face if you want Bibarel or Staraptor (very important if you use my strategy) to be faster than Giratina. Roserade can paralyse it with Stun Spore (if you still have it) and put Giratina asleep with GrassWhistle (if you still have it), although yours has Poison Point, so not a good idea. Bibarel can use Yawn to put asleep (although not very useful as it takes so many turns to activate). Gastly can have Hypnosis, which is always useful if you manage to hit it. Gastly is not quite strong, so making it evolve into Gengar would be, honestly, the best thing to do (I sincerely think Gengar's shiny form is yet minimal but amazingly beautiful), but if you wanna stick with Gastly, I respect fully your choice. :)
Also, to put Staraptor to exactly 1 HP, I propose you to poison it somehow (with Roserade in a double battle, perhaps ?) and then, after the battle's over, walk around until its HP is at 1, and only then you will heal it with an Antidote.
Of course, you can always pick up some Heart Scales underground afterward to rearrange your movesets, because I wouldn't like, myself, to use Foresight, Endeavor and Scary Face in a normal playthrough, but that's up to you!

What do you think ? :D

Definitely some good ideas! My Roserade actually has Natural Cure, so I’d have been able to use him if it weren’t for the fact that I can’t give him GrassWhistle :(

That’s also a great idea to use Scary Face. I didn’t think about that move. I’m not too concerned about speed, since most of my pokemon have higher speed than Giratina, but I may still consider using this move to try to combat any instances that it gets a stat boost from either Ancient Power or Ominous Wind.

I like the poison idea on how to get Staraptor to 1HP. Your post also made me realize that I can put more than just Staraptor at 1HP, too. I may just try to make sure my Machamp can outspeed Giratina, lower his health pre-battle, and let him get fainted after using Foresight. Though if I end up using Scary Face as a preventative measure, I’ll have to rethink about doing that…

And luckily, with all my shard hunting earlier in my BQ and recently for some blue shards, I’ve currently got 30 Heart Scales (that’s after teaching Bidoof Super Fang and Yawn twice each, and giving Machamp Foresight!).

Thanks for those ideas! Although sadly, getting Giratina’s health down is just a small part of all this, so he still won’t be an easy catch after doing so :x

Thanks a ton for all the ideas you three!

------------

Still didn’t do much hunting…Mainly trying to work out how to catch Giratina the way I want to :p I did make the time for 300 REs on Black 2 and HeartGold, so Black 2 went over the odds again today and is at 8,200 REs, and HeartGold is getting there at 6,200.

Good luck, everyone!

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
And just two minutes ago I hatched myself my shiny Charmander. Timid with all perfect stats except Attack and Speed. Bloodfeast the Extremeinator is mine!

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
YESSS!!! After only 309 eggs I got my shiny Squirtle!!!! Luckily it has 4 perfect IVs in HP, DEF, SP ATK, and SP DEF! I'm so excited right now!

The funniest part is I assumed shiny Squirtle was purple like shiny Blastoise. So I didn't even notice I hatched a shiny until I was depositing it into the PC! My exact thought was "Wait...what's that star? WOAHHHHHHHHHH". Squirtle I'm sorry I missed your birth, but thank you for hatching and being my first ever Masuda Method shiny :)

I'd also like to add that it's female and knows Yawn, Dragon Pulse, and Aura Sphere! Yay!

Anyways congrats on your shinies and I wish you all good luck!

*edit*
Just realized that this makes 3 shinies in my Y version in 8 days, 4 total that I've caught, and a 5th one which I got from Wonder Trade. Hope my luck rubs off on some people who need it!

Last edited:

Mays

Decided to come back to Pokemon, and just to casually catch a few shinies (or at least try to) and I caught a shiny Ponyta within 3 encounters this morning! Excuse the buggered up link and the dirty screen - barely played the 3DS in the past few months and I mainly do at night so I can't see the dirtiness :p

Attachments

• tumblr_mz4zsdEDxU1soa0ayo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mz4zsdEDxU1soa0ayo1_500.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

anothername

well tired of getting nothing I decided to try for shiny hunt by fishing and it was sooooooooooo easy it took me like 12 min to get party ready and find one in my fifth fish in a row and it was the new gen crab one female with hasty nature maybe I will try to get a dozen of those and choose the best and trade the others away so that a little kid the other side of the world freaks out. XD

MidnightCombat

Bird of Destruction
Hmm, well my first shiny I've ever encountered was a Shiny Spearow in LeafGreen. I was basically grinding my Pokémon to get ready for Misty's gym when suddenly it showed up and I was really happy about it. Sadly, it got deleted and I was upset about it (I can't believe it's going to be 5 years already).
But anyways, my current shinies I have are Stoutland, Scrafty (a friend RNG'ed a flawless one for me), Hydreigon, Golurk, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Ninetales and just recently a Trapinch. But, I'm also going to try and MM for a shiny Noibat soonish~

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
Yes! Another quick hunt and community hunt complete! After only about a day and a half, shiny Terrakion shines in my white 2! I now have the whole trio in shiny form! He has a gentle nature (+sp def, - def). I caught him in just a few repeat balls. Question is now, what to hunt next? Another b2w2 legendary? A CH MM in XY? A CH that I can get through friend safari? We will see! :)

Happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Scrufox86 on Shelgon, Minccino and Teddiursa, JoshRJV77 on Whismur x4, Camerupt and Noibat, Dangertrout on Chespin x2, maldoror on Zubat, Absol and both Nidoran, TheResidentEvil on Feebas x2 and Yamask, kayteemae on Frogadier, Ambri on Tyrunt, Abysmal Flames on Sneasel, Keovix on Cresselia, Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf, backwardinduction on Roselia, FairyWitch on Mime Jr., manske90 on Smeargle, wingman32x on Tyrunt, Cutty on Clauncher, Quagsire and Poliwhirl, GrayFire503 on Masquerain, ArdhiS on Treecko, Samus_Aran on Ralts, ClipOwl on Skiddo and Cubone, EmpressMyuu on Paras, Foxeaf on Buneary, Spinda and Cyndaquil x2, HeathFOLK on Pikachu and Mime Jr., The Thunderbird on Xatu, Greedy Chibi on Furfrou, Lugia12 on Mienshao, tothewest88 on Foongus and Hoppip, Sutittaja on Nidoran M, Iris Mist on Dedenne, L-Knight on Oddish, Chrisachu on Klefki x2, Laurelai on Eevee x2, General_Ridley on Charmander, TheFonz on Squirtle, Mays on Ponyta, anothername on Clauncher, KittyKitty3308 on Terrakion, and everyone else on your shinies!

Crimson Penguin on Litwick (you're on fire!)

Haha, I see what you did there. :p Thanks to you and to Cpchris for the congrats!

Quick update, no new shinies. I started my Twist Mountain hunt and I'm up to just 500 REs. Too bad I just missed being able to hunt there in winter for the higher Cryogonal chance, but I'm not really sure that it's worth it, as Cubchoo's chance goes up to around 40% (I like Cubchoo but I'd prefer one of the other shinies here), and Gurdurr's chance goes down to 10%, IIRC. I think I'll just stay in here and hope for a 30% Gurdurr instead, or maybe I'll get lucky and find a 1% Cryogonal.

On the MM front, Numel is being a lot more stubborn than Ralts and Ponyta, but I guess that's to be expected. I've done 3 cycles at 90 eggs each (I really need to clean out my boxes because I only have 3 open for MMing right now), so I'm up to 270 eggs with no shiny. Oh well, I kind of knew this hunt was going to take longer. Serves me right after my last 5 hunts were ridiculously short.

And since Latias is finally mine, I'm considering picking up that SoulSilver BQ I talked about a long time ago, and even more so now that my White BQ is almost done. I might wait until summer to do so, however, because school is going to be a lot more time-consuming this semester. Still, I guess it's an option if I get bored. XD

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

Diego24

Congrats on latest shinies !
I finally hatched my shiny Cyndaquil. It has modest nature and it's male.
It was my first MM hunt.

Good luck everyone!

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
I have decided to make Kyurem my next hunt. I am doing this instead of another community hunt target because I still have Kyurem, the lake trio, Cresselia, and Heatran to get in shiny form in B2W2. So I have a ton of work still to do in these games, but it's a good thing that I can dual SR for all of these. I'm not worried about tornadus, thunderus, or landorus in shiny form because they are quite annoying to hunt for. I may try them in the future sometime, but I doubt it. Now I'm off to hunt for this frozen Turkey looking thing! ;)

professorj15

Congrats to everyone on their hunts! 500 eggs into my MM hunt for Eevee, so I decided to take a break and go in a few friend safaris. 20-ish encounters in, and shiny marowak appeared! My first friend safari pokemon to shine, for I've had awful luck in there. Hope this is a sign of more shinies to come.image.jpg

tothewest88

Huzzah! Just landed a beautiful gold shiny Nosepass. :) I'll be evolving that right quick into an even more awesome shiny Probopass! Still hunting for that ever so elusive shiny Houndour. I really want a Shiny Mega Houndoom!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Booo Feebas, booo! I have hatched over 1,500 eggs of these ugly fishes and still nothing. This must be the price of trying to obtain the epitome of beauty, that is shiny Milotic.

Not much else to say, but gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone. :]

Last edited: