• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Azienskieth

Hooked on Pokémon
Does anyone know if a korean ditto works to breed with a European pokemon?
I'm 1600 MM eggs in on my trevenant hunt, and still no shiny. I know this happens a lot, but would be nice to have it confirmed.

Any two Pokemon from different regions will work, so yes, you're doing it right.

Neji-and-Pidgeot

After 56 eggs I hatched a shiny fennekin. Its timid but it didn't get its ha. It has 31 iv in special defense. I guess that doesn't matter because im just going to use it on an in game team. I am just glad its in a dusk ball. This is my second shortest hunt.

Frost Mage

<3 Heavenly~
It's been a few months since the release of X and Y and I was wondering again... What are all of your opinions on the increased shiny rates? As for me... And if you remember my last post I'm a broken record... But I'm still forming an opinion.

Princess Raspberyl

~Shining One~
It's been a few months since the release of X and Y and I was wondering again... What are all of your opinions on the increased shiny rates? As for me... And if you remember my last post I'm a broken record... But I'm still forming an opinion.

Maybe my luck is terrible but I'm not having much luck like other people do with MMing or REing haha. D8 I don't mind the increased rate. Still pretty hard to get a shiny I think unless your luck is really good. =P I've been wondering, is the MM rate being increased? I'm just curious. =P

Growlie19

That was fast. While EV training Swablu (which is now a lovely Altaria), a green-winged Wingull appeared! His name is MINE, based off of what the seagulls in Finding Nemo say. He has a Naive nature with perfect HP and the Keen Eye ability.

Forgot, but Community Hunt Complete with Swablu (rooster) earlier today!

Last edited:

The Scientist

Here's what I believe the consensus is, and this is also what I think:

Wild: 1/4096 (1/1365.3 with shiny charm)
Friend Safari: 1/512
Masuda Method: 1/683

No one knows how/if friend safari and Masuda method are affected by shiny charm, but you can follow and participate in this study at Smogon- http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/shiny-charm-and-masuda-method-volunteers-needed.3496464/

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
wait, Munna and Musharna are in the CH for the "Pig" category? They're not pigs lol

Numel and Camerupt shouldn't be counted as an "Ox" either, they're clearly based on a camel.

speaking of the CH

community hunt complete

my first shiny in 2014 is this Docile snow rabbit :D

[IMG139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/bunnelby_zps8a4d55a9.jpg[/IMG139]

And once again it's an RE shiny. Somehow I have way more luck in RE than in MM, despite RE supposed to have the lowest chance while MM has the highest chance.......

I encountered the Bunnelby while I was passing through Route 5, before hatching egg #421-425 in my Froakie MM hunt. Still haven't got the Shiny Froakie yet.

By the way, I already have the Shiny Charm since New Year, so yeah, the Bunnelby is also my first 6th Gen Shiny obtained with Shiny Charm.

also, my Christmas shiny I forgot to post back then:

[IMG139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/clamperl_zps1cd05d3f.jpg[/IMG139]

Yeah, she's going to be a Gorebyss, despite the Lonely Nature.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
wait, Munna and Musharna are in the CH for the "Pig" category? They're not pigs lol

Numel and Camerupt shouldn't be counted as an "Ox" either, they're clearly based on a camel.

I think the idea was to provide a little more variety in those categories, especially since there's hardly any ox Pokemon, and camels have been used as "beast of burden" animals in some countries, similar to an ox.

and clearly I'm not just saying that because I'm hunting Numel for the CH, not one bit Congrats on the Bunnelby though!

Lunafloon

Shiny Hunter
Sorry I haven't been around! Haven't had the best shiny luck...

Im here today to announce 3 things.

1. My Noibat MM hunt has hit 1000.
2. My Sandile RE Badge Quest hunt on Black 2 (what a mouthful) has hit 20,000.
3. Today a shiny Lunatone exploded because I was an idiot and didn't realise I had left my Damp Politoed behind.

So overall, terrible shiny luck still. Could really appreciate some luck, and some comfort. I've never lost a shiny before, and I do hope I can reclaim it D:

That said, congrats on any and all shinies. I don't even want to know how many more there are since I've left with Gen VI's new odds around (which I obviously am missing out on...)
Would be interesting to see how many familiar faces are still around OwO
Good luck to all of you!

ClipOwl

Fell off a boat

They're in there so that there would be more options than just one or two for those categories.

---

Anyway, I have no new shinies, but I am breeding a 5IV Geodude to use for an MM hunt. A friend of mine found a shiny geodude as his first every shiny in any game, but it ended up being offed by the others in the horde using Magnitude. I'm going to hatch him one as a gift.
And give it the egg move Curse because I'm a terrible person.

@Lunafloon I'm sorry you lost your shiny Lunatone D=
I hope you can get it back soon!

Last edited:

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
Sorry I haven't been around! Haven't had the best shiny luck...

Im here today to announce 3 things.

1. My Noibat MM hunt has hit 1000.
2. My Sandile RE Badge Quest hunt on Black 2 (what a mouthful) has hit 20,000.
3. Today a shiny Lunatone exploded because I was an idiot and didn't realise I had left my Damp Politoed behind.

So overall, terrible shiny luck still. Could really appreciate some luck, and some comfort. I've never lost a shiny before, and I do hope I can reclaim it D:

That said, congrats on any and all shinies. I don't even want to know how many more there are since I've left with Gen VI's new odds around (which I obviously am missing out on...)
Would be interesting to see how many familiar faces are still around OwO
Good luck to all of you!

Theshinylunatone regrets the death of your shiny liunatone. Once, just oncee, I found a shiny graveler, and it was killed. The pain of loosing a shiny is great, but the joy of reclaiming one is even greater

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to General_Ridley on Charmander, TheFonz on Squirtle, KittyKitty3308 on Terrakion, Diego24 on Cyndaquil, darthmalice777 on Snivy, Sehjenkai on Charmander, Neji-and-Pidgeot on Fennekin, Shine on Bunnelby, and everyone else on your shinies!

That’s really too bad about Lunatone, Lunafloon :( Good luck reclaiming it (and with that Sandile hunt!)!

----------

Well, more good news and bad news about testing Giratina…Good news is, after leveling Gastly up to 70, I started being able to throw 35+ pokeballs (compared to max of 32 on my previous 3 tries with Lv. 70 Bibarel). My tests weren’t as effective this time around because, funnily enough, I caught it 2 of the 4 times! The first time was on the 6th pokeball, and the fourth test was caught on the 28th pokeball…Neither of which tell me just how many pokeballs I’m able to throw should an end come near. On the other 2 tests, I threw 40 and 38 pokeballs.

The bad news is that failing is still very likely. I’m going to level Gastly up some more (critical hits that result in OHKOs are disasterous! Takes away all my Battle Item effects and wastes a lot of possible pokeball throws getting Gastly back up to speed) and I also decided to go ahead and teach it Trick, so hopefully I’ll be able to snag an extra 5 moves for Giratina, which could be very useful.

This is what my battle generally looks like:
First out is Machamp at 1 HP to use Foresight. Giratina either kills him, or uses Shadow Force. With either outcome, Staraptor goes in next at 1 HP (immune to Shadow Force) and uses Endeavor to reduce Giratina to 1 HP. Again, either Giratina kills her or uses a Ghost type move, but regardless of which, Bibarel switches in next to use Yawn. After Yawn, I send in Luxray to use Scary Face and reduce Giratina’s speed by 2 stages while Giratina’s falling asleep (mainly a precaution for potential speed boosts from Ancient Power and Ominous Wind).

Now that Giratina’s asleep, I switch in Gastly, hoping Giratina doesn’t wake up right away, and I use X Accuracy to boost Hypnosis to 80 Accuracy, and another one to make it 99 or 100 (I’ve never missed Hypnosis after 2 X Accs. So far, after ~40+ uses). Then I use 2 X Defs. and 2 X Sp. Defs. to help Gastly survive Giratina’s attacks when it wakes up, and once I make sure Gastly can withstand attack, I start throwing pokeballs.

And that’s pretty much it :x I hate to see so much time used in the beginning for things other than throwing pokeballs, but it’s all pretty necessary…Thanks again for all the ideas!

Sadly, it seems I’m running out of options…Or at least options I’m willing to use. Once I level up Gastly and start using Trick, I think I’ll have done just about everything I can do to try to catch Giratina in a pokeball =\ Unless anyone has more ideas, in which case, please tell :D

-----------

Not relevant to anything really, but I was going to check Ho-Oh’s moveset to see if any of the moves give Ho-Oh stat boosts. I was using a different site that I normally use (not sure if I can say it on here? It’s an obvious one), and they changed the layout of the learned attacks list. And for Heart-Gold, they showed Ho-Oh as not learning Extrasensory until level 65, and that instead, it knew Brave Bird (which causes recoil!). I felt so overwhelmed, since that would mean out of 30 PP total (like Giratina), 15 of those would cause recoil, so I had no idea how I’d be able to counter it…

Luckily, I double checked on Serebii, and then on youtube videos to be extra sure, and it does indeed have Extrasensory instead of Brave Bird :p But I was really scared for a minute since I had no clue how I’d be able to catch it in a pokeball.

-----------

I'm not sure what pokemon I should go after eevee? Any suggestions? I already have Typhlosion, Nidorina, Bellsprout.

I know you already have Nidorina and this would risk a duplicate, but I think Nidoking’s an epic shiny! Dratini from game corner would be really nice, too. There’s also Gastly at night in Sprout Tower, and Oddish at night in Ilex Forest. Or headbutting for Heracross and Aipom. I basically just told you my own main targets, but… :p Good luck!

-----------

Oh wow!!! Around 11:15 tonight, I found a shiny in Virbank Complex…And guess what? It’s not a duplicate!

But alas, my luck still isn’t good enough for it to be Growlithe ;) Instead, Shiny Audino! And here's the video! Live like usual.

[IMG200]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b579/Charizard4993/IMG_1326_zps9ffa3b86.jpg[/IMG200]

I found it after 6,771 REs (Whoa! Under the odds!) and on my 571st RE of the day. Male, Hasty, Mischievous, Healer.

I have to say, I really didn’t expect to ever get this shiny…It seemed like the chances were too slim (but apparently not as slim as Growlithe!). I didn’t even see it appear, either, since off to my left, I was training Gastly, who’s now Level 79. But I heard the 5th gen sparkles and looked over right away (a little confused at first since I saw it was Audino), and I couldn’t even believe it :p

I also almost didn’t even give myself the chance to find it…At 500 REs, I decided I’d stop for the night so I could just focus on training Gastly and then watch White Collar once the TV was free…But since I hunt in Ilex Forest on HeartGold at night, I like to go back to Route 29 so I don’t have to make the trip back there at the start of my hunting the next day. But I was about 15 or so steps from the exit, and being a little OCD about counting all encounters and always ending on a multiple of 100 REs, I decided that if I made it to the exit without another encounter, I’d be done, but if I got another encounter, I’d go ahead and finish another 100 REs…

Well, I made it out of the Forest, but then while going through the next route, I accidentally veered off into some grass and got an encounter…So back to hunting I went!

And I jokingly thought to myself, “Maybe it’s fate, and I’ll end up finding a shiny tonight”. Though I seriously doubted it would happen, not just because shinies are just generally unlikely, but because I always feel like a shiny won’t appear after a few hundred REs…So yet another instance where I’m proven wrong about that :)

And I almost forgot…For the 2nd time ever (or maybe 3rd?)…Community Hunt Complete!

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Not relevant to anything really, but I was going to check Ho-Oh’s moveset to see if any of the moves give Ho-Oh stat boosts. I was using a different site that I normally use (not sure if I can say it on here? It’s an obvious one), and they changed the layout of the learned attacks list. And for Heart-Gold, they showed Ho-Oh as not learning Extrasensory until level 65, and that instead, it knew Brave Bird (which causes recoil!). I felt so overwhelmed, since that would mean out of 30 PP total (like Giratina), 15 of those would cause recoil, so I had no idea how I’d be able to counter it…

Luckily, I double checked on Serebii, and then on youtube videos to be extra sure, and it does indeed have Extrasensory instead of Brave Bird :p But I was really scared for a minute since I had no clue how I’d be able to catch it in a pokeball.

Yeah, Ho-oh in Heart Gold does get slightly more PP than it does in Soul Silver, which I didn't realize until I found the shiny bird myself in SS. The trade-off being 5 less PP in SS for a move that doesn't do damage to you. Too bad it's Safeguard, which makes sleep an ineffective status to bother with when catching a SS Ho-oh (I always preferred paralysis, anyway). So you've got things covered there. It may be a ways away, but good luck on that! Not to mention, good luck on both Giratina hunts going on right now! I remember both you and Aqua starting a Platinum BQ not too long after me, and it's been like 7-8 months since I finished mine. I almost feel bad that my Giratina wasn't even at half the odds, when both of you still have this going now. I can't wait to see both of those hunts finish!

Meanwhile, I've still got my Tornadus hunt going. No idea how that's going, but I don't think I'm all that far. If anything, I'm at about 1000 SR's at the most, but I don't mind. I'll probably be starting an MM in Y soon, though, so I'll have that too.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
740 eggs hatched and Purrloin still eludes me. Oh well. The hunt is still young. I'm back on Route 3 collecting more eggs.

My Virbank Complex RE hunt in White 2 is currently at 6,000 REs. I'm running around in doubles grass, so I've actually seen more pokemon than that but apparently even a wild double battle only counts as one encounter *shrugs*

I took a break from both my shiny spritzee hunt and shiny machoke/pancham/breloom in the FS since I was waiting for bank to get both the shiny charm and my trusty old Armaldo. He's still the first one I got in Sapphire. I want to MM for a shiny Anorith, but it has to be a child from that specific Armaldo ^^;

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Whilst EV training, bumped into and caught a shiny Cubchoo, which is now a Beartic. Shiny is a bit underwhelming, but ah well, shiny number fifteen!

Congrats on everyone's shinies and good luck if you're hunting!
I've decided to not start a new MM hunt and resume an SR hunt for a Johto starter that I put on hold before pokemon X and Y were released. I was at 700SRs and I did 100 today. I am hoping to get it over with so I will do minimum 100 SRs a day. Hopefully I may be able to squeeze in 200-300 on some days. I'm also hoping I get Cyndaquil or Chikorita. I've never chosen a grass type starter so a shiny one would be a change. ^_^