• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
More than a little bit excited right now.
My first ever SR hunt has already ended in my Heartgold BQ! After a measly 532 SR's I have found my shiny starter and it's a CYNDAQUIL!!!!
I cannot believe how lucky I am, not only was it one of the quickest hunts I have ever had, I managed to get the Pokemon I wanted the most.

[IMG300]http://i58.*******.com/29sjnb.jpg[/IMG300][IMG300]http://i58.*******.com/30a7zgy.jpg[/IMG300][IMG300]http://i61.*******.com/1z3ue84.jpg[/IMG300]

As always, congrats to those who have completed their hunts and quests. To the others who are still looking, I hope something shines for you soon.

Last edited:

MDS777

The name's Riley
Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies, especially jrmftw on Cyndaquil. I love my little Cyndaquil I just recently got. Sorry for the loss on Chikorita, ClipOwl.

Anyway, I've already hatched 180 Shuppet today without a single being shiny. Total count: 2,430. I figured out a way to max out my recharge rate for the O-powers easily, and I'm absolutely in love with the 4x recharge rate. I'll be taking a break for a while and I'll hatch some more later. I'll update this post if anything happens.

Edit: Make that 295 Shuppet hatched today. Total Shuppet hatched: 2,545.

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
well my current hunt is starting to add up 100 eggs so far no shiny swirlix to be found but gunna keep going though congrats to everyone shinies and good luck to future hunts...

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
*waves crazily* Hello everyone, Misty~ Happy February and Congrats to EVERYONE who has gotten a shiny since...like...three weeks ago.

I am now collecting eggs...not for any of the Pokemon I mentioned before, but of GASTLY! For Valentines Day...hopefully...I will give my dear girl friend her favorite Pokemon as a Shiny, a Gengar. A friend was kind enough to give me a Korean, 6IV Ditto, so...yeah, breeding has become VERY much happier for me. xD Hopefully, with enough luck, I can get her the Gastly...even if she cannot RECEIVE it. (I hate living so far away from here. ;0; Her Wi-Fi isn't working well)
After that, I might as well hunt for the Vulpix as well, seeing as it is a CH...or maybe a competitive Ralts or Phantump, seeing how I love them both so very much...however, I do see that WURMPLE is an option for the Pairs...which makes me super duper happy. :D I might go for that...I'll figure something out. x3

I was, however, given a Shiny Feebas. However, with the exception of Swirlix, I really do not wish to count my Traded Pokemon as my "Shines I have gotten"...sooooo~!

Gastly hunt...AWAY~

Good luck to everyone, and I hope you all have a fantastic day~

Dangertrout

To those doing badge quests in Gen's with the original odds, how many hours did you clock for your first REd shiny?

Also, how many of us are currently doing BQs?
I'm doing one on Pearl, hunting #1 at Lake Verity for now.

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
To those doing badge quests in Gen's with the original odds, how many hours did you clock for your first REd shiny?

Well my first was completely random Claydol in emerald but in fire red I decided to go for diglet in diglets cave and got it in 21, then in around 4000 RE's I got pawniard in white.

I saw a video today of someone who got a shiny Cobalion after 60k+ resets, so I’m just thankful none of my hunts have been THAT bad yet :)

Good luck, everyone!
I saw that video today too. I have a habit of looking up the next pokemon I plan on hunting on youtube.

Last edited:

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
I finally cleaned up my pc a bit, and now I have quite a few boxes to MM with. I have 451 hatched so far, and will be working on hatching more during any free time I have. Hopefully something shines soon and doesn't go beyond the odds :/

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Jirachi9 on Charmander, Squirtle_Master on Charmander, Duckzorz on Gastly, PhazonRain429 on Goomy, PKMaster2 on Beldum, TheFonz on Gastly, jrmftw on Cyndaquil, and everyone else on your shinies!

That sucks about Chikorita, ClipOwl :(

-----------

I’ve got both my BQs going that are in my sig…My first RE shiny on Platinum was Starly, and she just appeared randomly while I was EV training Piplup after just 101 REs, so considering doing all the game content up to that point…Maybe 2-3 hours? On HeartGold, my Sentret appeared after 3,418 REs, so maybe 20-25 hours (again, for counting all the time battling all the trainers and getting myself set up for the 2nd gym).

-----------

February 2nd marks a little anniversary for me :p

Well, as long as it’s after midnight, February 2nd marks a nice shiny hunting anniversary for me…A year ago today, I found my first hunted shiny, Eevee, which was for a favorite pokemon and a favorite shiny – Umbreon!

At the time, I only had one system, so I was single hunting. I really wanted to get it from the wild rather than from an in-game trade/gift, so I was really happy to see that it could actually be hunted in the wild in Black 2…Being 5% in Castelia Park, I was using the repel trick to find only Eevee, but since I didn’t have a lot of money for repels, didn’t want to take time to earn more money, and wanted to save after each hunting session rather than SR and get my repels back, I had to make it far more difficult on myself by trying to stay in one spot as much as possible and just keep turning back and forth, so that it wouldn’t count as making steps that would use up the repels, but would still let me encounter pokemon.

Not only that, but encounters could take up to a minute (sometimes over) to happen since Eevee was still just a 5% pokemon. So even though it only took about 5,500 REs there, it still felt worse than my 10k-20k hunts I’ve had.

I have to say, I’m actually kind of glad my first hunt was one that sort of tested my shiny-hunter mettle…And it definitely paid off when I looked down at my screen one night to see the Eevee I’d encountered and was getting ready to run from was actually a silvery, white-ish color instead of brown :p Just a year ago…

-------------

500 SRs and 700 REs again. Seems to be a common amount for me to do lately :x But nothing. So I’m at 5,500 SRs on Platinum, 7,000 REs on Black 2, and 18,900 REs on HeartGold.

I saw a video today of someone who got a shiny Cobalion after 60k+ resets, so I’m just thankful none of my hunts have been THAT bad yet :)

Good luck, everyone!

Slushie

Requiescat en pace.
Haven't kept track at all, but I'm trying to SR one of the stationary Voltorb in New Mauville of Emerald version. So far no luck, but I shall not give up. I love the way a shiny Voltorb looks! :D

But other than that, I recently obtained a shiny Relicanth from chain fishing in my Y version!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After putting Lucario and Eevee into the daycare and gathering some eggs, I headed off down Route 10 through Geosenge Town toward Reflection Cave. I want to finish my seviper HH and complete the power plant bit to open up the rest of Lumiose City before I start breeding eevees in earnest.

Tried my fin at chain fishing today. After several false starts and a couple of broken chains (complete with some hair-sizzling curses), I caught this...

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/Picture6138_zps1d271053.jpg[/IMG139]

Gold male magikarp, on a chain of 87! Took me most of an hour to get 'cause my chain kept breaking XP "Reeled in too slow", my foot... Anyway. Crimson the gyarados is now lvl 24, fully evolved, and up to three hearts of affection after an hour of playing in pokemon amie.

After catching magikarp and going through Reflection Cave battling everyone in sight, I decided on a little more practice and headed for the shoreline section of Route 8 to try. Several more false starts and broken chains later, I got a successful chain of 26 and up came a shiny luvdisc

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/Picture6139_zps099d043f.jpg[/IMG139]

I'm very pleased with it ^_^ Can't wait to get the good rod so I can try for skrelp (which is one of the reasons I got Y instead of X to begin with ^^;;;;;; )

Hopefully now the rain in Route 8 has gone away so I can work on my seviper HH.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Cyberra on Wingull, Lucario, Magikarp, and Luvdisc, Supremacy on Meditite, jrmftw on Wingull, Murkrow, and Cyndaquil (and those free shinies from HG), blue8arman on Poliwhirl x2 and Audino, I, Pink Elephant on Shuppet, ArdhiS on Tropius, Amaura, Sliggoo, Rattata, Jigglypuff, Dugtrio, Vullaby, Chansey, Teddiursa, Ariados, and Ninetales, MimiSkitty on Croagunk, MYNISTA on Tropius, mapijs on Abra, NintendoFan82 on Dragalge, ClipOwl on Venipede x5 (holy cow! and my condolences on Chikorita), Alfred Jones on Shelgon, DCFCdan on Hoppip, shinyclauncher1234 on Landorus, TaurosRicardo on Zubat, Jirachi9 on Rhydon and Charmander, Squirtle_Master on Charmander, Duckzorz on Gastly, PhazonRain429 on Goomy, FarFromFreedom on Whismur, xKatie0391 on Phantump, PKMaster2 on Beldum, tothewest88 on your three shinies (I can't see the attachments for some reason, sorry), Tsukuyomi56 on Wingull, TheFonz on Gastly, and everyone else on your shinies!

Also, big thanks to Supremacy, jrmftw, Roseheart95, ClipOwl, and Cpchris for the congrats, it's much appreciated. ^_^

So I didn't do any hunting yesterday - instead, I decided to finish White with my 8-man army of shinies. I got my eighth badge (which was a struggle as the majority of my Pokemon are pretty slow and those Dragon-types could two-shot most of my Pokemon), and then I was off to the Pokemon League. I really wish I could use all of my shinies on my team at once, but sadly I had to leave Garbodor and Litwick behind before taking on the Elite Four. My Pokemon were pretty underleveled, so it took me a while to get through. But eventually, my ideals triumphed over N and Ghetsis, and I officially finished my BadgeQuest with a time of around 189 hours. I have to say, that was one of the biggest senses of achievement I've had in a Pokemon game in a very long time.

Then tonight, I decided to start my SoulSilver BQ, and thought I'd just get a few SRs done for a starter. The Johto starters are one of the few starter trios that I think all look great in their shiny forms (even though Chikorita is my favorite of the three overall), so I was excited to start the hunt. So I'm sitting there watching a TV program, just casually doing SRs (which go a heck of a lot faster than 5th gen, which is nice). And a couple of hours into it, I cycle through the starters and notice one of them is not like the others. That's right, I found a Shiny Totodile in 244 SRs.

I was absolutely speechless when I saw that light blue Totodile on my screen. I could not believe how fast it went. I just started this BQ tonight. I only did two. Hundred. Forty. Four. Freaking. Resets. And I already have shiny #1 - I can't believe it! Even though Chikorita was my target, I fell in love with the little croc after recovering from my initial shock, because like Golett, Totodile looks so much better on the actual game. It's just amazing, all the way around (love the backsprite - forgot how clean they are in HGSS, especially compared to 5th gen). I named him Zawadi, which apparently means "gift" in Swahili, and he has a Naive nature, which is actually pretty good as natures go (at least it wasn't Modest or something like that). I know I've said this in like my last five posts here, but I just cannot get over my incredible luck right now.

I guess now I'm off to claim my second BQ shiny already... I think I'm going to try Route 32 for a Mareep or Hoppip. Also may put my Skiddo hunt on hold and start MMing for another Pokemon for the CH, but I haven't decided yet. I'm still just flabbergasted by this whole turn of events, seriously... I thought I was going to be seeing those starters for a long while.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

Edit: Wow long post is long... XD

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Congrats to Cyberra on Wingull, Lucario, Magikarp, and Luvdisc,

The lucario was not shiny >.> Just a normal-colored male with good IVs that I'm using as breeding material looking for a silver eevee

Here's a question for all you other pokemon breeders. I have a normal-color 5IV Japanese lucario, and I am breeding it with a female eevee for a sylveon. The lucario apparently has perfect IVs in everything but ATK. My question is: should I give him the destiny knot to try and pass down those IVs? Is sylveon typically a special or a physical attacker?

Sylveon is a defensive and specially offensive wall, its best to run Sylveon with Wish but thats mostly for competitive purposes. The two stats that Sylveon really do not need are Attack and Speed.
Your lucario is perfect with those stats, so give it the Destiny Knot and if either your Eevee or Lucario has a defensive nature then you should pass that down with the ever stone.
Also, it doesnt matter which parent holds the Destiny Knot, it chooses 5 random stats randomly from either parents disregarding which parent holds the Knot,

I checked my lucario and eevee. Lucario is docile, so neutral nature, and eevee is modest (+Sp. ATK, -ATK). Which isn't a bad nature, if sylveon is a special attacker. I'll give lucario the destiny knot and eevee the everstone

Last edited:

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats everyone on your recent shinies! Goodluck to those still hunting! Im seeing lots of luck. ^w^

I have no new shinies to report, once again. My Lugia SR has just reached 2000 SRs, I know its not a big number for a legendary SR but if it does reach 10K+ then maybe all the luck that was on my SS game was used up on my Cyndaquil... xD

Edit:
My question is: should I give him the destiny knot to try and pass down those IVs? Is sylveon typically a special or a physical attacker?

Sylveon is a defensive and specially offensive wall, its best to run Sylveon with Wish but thats mostly for competitive purposes. The two stats that Sylveon really do not need are Attack and Speed.
Your lucario is perfect with those stats, so give it the Destiny Knot and if either your Eevee or Lucario has a defensive nature then you should pass that down with the ever stone.
Also, it doesnt matter which parent holds the Destiny Knot, it chooses 5 random stats randomly from either parents disregarding which parent holds the Knot,

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Haven't kept track at all, but I'm trying to SR one of the stationary Voltorb in New Mauville of Emerald version. So far no luck, but I shall not give up. I love the way a shiny Voltorb looks! :D

But other than that, I recently obtained a shiny Relicanth from chain fishing in my Y version!

You may want to move on to a new target or obtain Voltorb through a different method on Emerald.
The RNG in emerald always starts at 0, so if you haven't found it yet, you're probably not going to find any shinies via SR in that game.
REing is still an option though, if you want to hunt shinies in that game.

pokeonu

I am too lazy to keep on trying to shiny hunt. I have tried mainly all the methods and all of them take patience and I don't have any. Right now I don't care what type or what pokemon I just want a shiny pokemon I'm even fine with magikarp for pete-sake. I have been trying the consecutive fishing and have been getting decent chains but then i got distracted and reeled in to slow I almost threw my ds at the wall when I was at a chain of 49. I'm very short tempered. Anyway, the whole point of this post was just to ask people if I should keep on trying and what method is better to use. (I'm also posting this to make friends :'( ) So I hope you guys respond and most likely put me down. jk. okay baiiiiiiii :3. (My friend code is 0817-4180-2046. *^*)

ArdhiS

congrats to xkatie0391 on shiny phantump (i got the same too), jrmftw on cyndaquil, cyberra on magikarp and luvdic, crimsom penguin on totodile and everyone shinies since my last post
well, yesterday was my lucky day, i got 4 shinies from safari, another shiny teddiursa with quick feet, another shiny ninetales with droyght, shiny phantump with harvest, and shiny krockodille with intimidate (unfortunately he has bold nature -__-), and today i got shiny yanma after 2 hours hunting :D :) :)
good luck to everyone on your hunt
http://imageshack.com/a/img191/8739/l0j6.jpg

edit: oh i forgot, COMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE :D

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hi everyone!
Luck isn't with me at the moment. I've been hunting Kyogre like crazy. Must be around 6000 soft resets by now, but I don't keep track. I've been hunting over a month for that little one so I was wondering if anyone had tips or advices to give so I can hunt with more ease...
I was really hoping I'd fine this guy in January, so I'd start the year greatly, but it seems like my first shiny will be in Febuary - that is, if Kyogre is kind enough to allow me that. :p But I won't give up. It tests my patience and I think it's a good thing. I want patience to be one of my quality.
I didn't touch my X copy every since I started that hunt. And I have so many hunts in mind to when I finish this one! Tangela reclaim, Mime Jr., Gastly and Cottonee are next.
Congratulations on the latest shinies, and I hope you all have better luck than me on your hunts!

Dangertrout

I am too lazy to keep on trying to shiny hunt. I have tried mainly all the methods and all of them take patience and I don't have any. Right now I don't care what type or what pokemon I just want a shiny pokemon I'm even fine with magikarp for pete-sake. I have been trying the consecutive fishing and have been getting decent chains but then i got distracted and reeled in to slow I almost threw my ds at the wall when I was at a chain of 49. I'm very short tempered. Anyway, the whole point of this post was just to ask people if I should keep on trying and what method is better to use. (I'm also posting this to make friends :'( ) So I hope you guys respond and most likely put me down. jk. okay baiiiiiiii :3. (My friend code is 0817-4180-2046. *^*)

Chain fishing is probably the best way to go, even if your chain keeps breaking.
My first success was at chain 8, but it was after I got distracted and missed a reel at chain 85 and had to start over.
It definitely requires patience and determination.
If you're short tempered enough to want to resort to destroying your system, maybe shiny hunting isn't for you.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

Hatched 6 boxes of Buneary eggs. No shiny yet. Hope it shines soon. Once it does I think my next target will be either Swampert or Lucario.

Does anyone know, if I put an english game into japanese, will the Pokemon count as foreign Pokemon and work for the MM? I'd much rather be able to get both of the parents myself than having to rely on the GTS for them.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.

EDIT: Managed to get a Japanese Riolu with 31/31/31/31/X/31 IVs so my next target will be a shiny Lucario.

I do think that they count as foriegn, but i am not fully sure.

I hope you're right. I'll be playing my Y in japanese anyway but it'll still be nice if I can breed Pokemon for the MM while playing :)

Last edited:

DragonXmicro

何これ?かえったね。
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

Hatched 6 boxes of Buneary eggs. No shiny yet. Hope it shines soon. Once it does I think my next target will be either Swampert or Lucario.

Does anyone know, if I put an english game into japanese, will the Pokemon count as foreign Pokemon and work for the MM? I'd much rather be able to get both of the parents myself than having to rely on the GTS for them.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts.
I do think that they count as foriegn, but i am not fully sure.

Gratz and luck to all, as i take my sights from gulpin and aim at Route 12: Octillery, Huntail, and Corsola. had a chain going earlier, but it broke due to my stupid self hitting a too early :/