• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
well you see, I meant to go through the list and make a few changes and additions.....
but I've been sick all month and ran out of time to get it done so I just posted the original list that someone was kind enough to throw together in the first place
I could edit the list, but I don't want to penalize anyone who started hunts based on what's there...

You could have told me if you need a Pokemon added but you have no time to do it.......I can edit the post too :p

But yeah, taking out Pokemon can pose a problem if someone has already started hunting for it.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Fina-freaking-lly! I finally have my Shiny Honedge. It was egg number 1488 and the 138th one hatched today. Now that I finally have this, I am going to move onto Eevee and then Goomy to round out the Shiny version of my Y team.

Congrats on all shinies since, like, the middle of December when I last posted.

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Ok, I've got a couple things to run by everyone concerning the community hunts.
With X&Y being so easy to get shinies in, I haven't been able to post the completed hunts in the OP anymore.
There are just too many people completing them and I don't have the time.

So first proposal: What if I only list the ones that provide photo proof of the summary page?
I know this means some of us (myself included) won't be able to get on the list.

Secondly, what about a 3 part hunt for March? One in which you need all three parts to complete the CH?
part one = grab bag selected via random generator
part two = selected green shinies for st patties day
part three= selected gold/yellow shinies for the pot of gold

I'll throw in the proposed list so people can argue about the validity of the choices ahead of time :p They were all chosen with a random generator, but the green and yellow ones were pulled aside for the other two categories. Also, for the first part I made sure to get two families for each gen.

Meowth / Persian
Diglett / Dugtrio
Larvitar / Pupitar / Tyranitar
Lugia
Feebas / Milotic
Seedot / Nuzleaf / Shiftry
Shieldon / Bastiodon
Burmy / Wormadam / Mothim
Mienfoo / Mienshao
Oshawott / Dewott / Samurott
Spritzee / Aromatisse
Froakie / Frogadier / Greninja

Pansage / Simisage
Bagon / Shellgon / Salamence
Mime Jr. / Mr. Mime
Dragonite
Mankey / Primeape
Grimer / Muk
Bulbasaur / Ivysaur / Venusaur
Huntail
Doduo / Dodrio
Zubat / Golbat
Lileep
Woobat

Caterpie
Gorebyss
Lickitung / Lickilicky
Girafarig
Pineco / Forretress
Silcoon
Buizel / Floatzel
Hoothoot
Ferrothorn
Torchic / Combusken
Swablu / Altaria
Piloswine

MDS777

The name's Riley
2,760 Shuppet eggs hatched for my reclaim hunt. This is a pretty annoying hunt and I wish it was already over, but my game is just like, "nope, ain't happening". Getting pretty close to filling up my box again, which will happen at egg #3,000. Hopefully I'll get it before then. :p

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
With X&Y being so easy to get shinies in, I haven't been able to post the completed hunts in the OP anymore.

So first proposal: What if I only list the ones that provide photo proof of the summary page?
I know this means some of us (myself included) won't be able to get on the list.

Secondly, what about a 3 part hunt for March? One in which you need all three parts to complete the CH?

I'll throw in the proposed list so people can argue about the validity of the choices ahead of time :p They were all chosen with a random generator, but the green and yellow ones were pulled aside for the other two categories. Also, for the first part I made sure to get two families for each gen.

Meowth / Persian
Diglett / Dugtrio
Lugia
Feebas / Milotic
Shieldon / Bastiodon
Mienfoo / Mienshao
Spritzee / Aromatisse

Pansage / Simisage
Mime Jr. / Mr. Mime
Dragonite
Mankey / Primeape
Grimer / Muk
Huntail
Doduo / Dodrio
Zubat / Golbat
Lileep
Woobat

Caterpie
Gorebyss
Lickitung / Lickilicky
Girafarig
Pineco / Forretress
Silcoon
Buizel / Floatzel
Hoothoot
Ferrothorn
Torchic / Combusken
Swablu / Altaria
Piloswine

I really like the 3 part community hunt for this at least for 1 CH. Maybe you only need 2 to complete it. Also while we are talking about hunts ahead of time. We should have a hunt in every gen the month after. Like gen 3 route # gen 4 route # gen 5 route # and so forth. I kinda like the idea of community hunts with a lot of pokemon but i felt more connected before when we did it with a route. Everyone was fighting for the same 2-3 shinies in that one route. Last hunt everyone basically completed it without trying, this hunt (even though im being a little hypocritical wanting to advocate for latias being put in just because Im hunting for it) has a lot of shinies also. Im thinking maybe we should make it so you do have to get BOTH shinies in the love pairs. Making it more difficult. Because I liked the lowered odds CH's and the less amount of pokemon. I mean picking a certain poke gives room to just friend safari'ing it which could take a day (not discounting FS shinies at all It took me 2 weeks to get mine) but I feel like the more challenging less pokemon CH's are the funnest. I remember back in Black and White we would have a route 2 hunt or a litwick in the ghost tower hunt and every time someone caught one it was awesome everyone was so much more connected. I think we should take more thought into which hunts we do and im glad you're thinking about it this early.

On another note
Im SR'ing for both kyruem and latias still. Latias has been off and on for 5 months prob around 8k and kyruem has been 3 days with around 400 SR's a day so thats about 1200 SRs. Happy hunting everyone!

EDIT

I'm not sure how I feel about having to provide photo proof.. Like Cpchris said, I feel like everyone here is pretty trustworthy. Just proving the usual 'community hunt complete' in bold should make browsing through easier, but its up to you. Also, and I know some people probably won't like this, but I think CF and FS shinies shouldn't count for CH's. It'll make things way more easier for you to track and CH's will be more challenging like how it was before XY. Also, the 3 part idea for March's CH is really cool, so no complaints there. :]
See thats why I think we should do methods or places and not just pokemon because if we say "get a shiny heracross" and someone gets one in the FS and we establish a rule where you can't get one from there it would just make them sad. And overall make it not a fun experience. If we make the methods/games/areas harder and people dig it then it would make it more challenging without alienating anyone who wants to join in.

Last edited:

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
congrats to everyone with there new shinies goin up to 300 eggs now no shiny swirilix i have a feeling this is gunna be a really big hunt everyone good luck though guys and stay strong ^_^

Slushie

Requiescat en pace.
Currently hunting for a shiny Zapdos from my Leaf Green, and a shiny Articuno from my Fire Red version; doing it from two gameboys. Just going to continue doing S/R until I get em.

Due to RNG issues with Emerald and S/R for a shiny Voltorb(thanks to Dangertrout and ChaoticInverse), I shall jump on my Soul Silver for a shiny Electrode, or just s/r off of a Voltorb from my Fire Red version after I get the shiny Articuno, hopefully...

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to The Benmeister on Zweilous, Greedy Chibi on Buneary, AquaRegisteel on Ratata, darthmalice777 on Scatterbug, Winter02 on Sigilyph, Heliotrope on Kyurem, Shine on Froakie, Draknir on Honedge, and everyone else on your shinies!

-------------

My own opinion of this would depend on what your reasoning is.

If by chance it’s a matter of honesty (which I doubt), I’d say I don’t think we have much of an issue, if any, with honesty…So no, I wouldn’t think it’s a good idea. I’m sure most of us here (if not all) are honest, and if by chance there are a couple people fudging things or just flat out lying, I’d say that’s their own problem, and that they likely make up such a small percentage of overall shinies found, that trying to eliminate them would hardly put a dent in how many shinies are found…So it would ultimately just keep people from enjoying the CH as much.

If it’s to make it easier for you to browse and see who’s completed the CH, then sure.

If it’s just sort of an arbitrary way to cut down on the number of people to include knowing some won’t (or can’t) upload pics, then sort of undecided on it. I suppose it could help ease up on anyone who completes the CH, but doesn’t care enough to bother getting their name listed. Although as you said, it’s also keeping some people off.

Also, we now have methods that not only can make it easier to find shinies, but the methods are also more accessible, and the processes to make it easier are easier (compared to 4th gen pokeradar, which gives some people trouble, but makes shinies ultimately easier to find, but with a more difficult process). Naturally, these methods mean there are far more shinies coming in. I think it’s easy to see where I’m going with this. I might sound biased, but it’s just the simple truth, biased or not.

In the end, you’re the one doing all of this (though I’m generally willing to help track it if you need assistance), so whatever works out for you is really all that matters.

Meowth / Persian
Diglett / Dugtrio
Lugia
Feebas / Milotic
Shieldon / Bastiodon
Mienfoo / Mienshao
Spritzee / Aromatisse

Pansage / Simisage
Mime Jr. / Mr. Mime
Dragonite
Mankey / Primeape
Grimer / Muk
Huntail
Doduo / Dodrio
Zubat / Golbat
Lileep
Woobat

Caterpie
Gorebyss
Lickitung / Lickilicky
Girafarig
Pineco / Forretress
Silcoon
Buizel / Floatzel
Hoothoot
Ferrothorn
Torchic / Combusken
Swablu / Altaria
Piloswine

I think this is a really neat idea, fits some nice themes of the month, and offers a unique take on the CH. I think it’s nice to mix it up, having some CHes that have a broad range of pokemon and are easier to complete, and having others like this proposed one that add a higher level of difficulty.

Although, I don’t see myself completing this one, since even if I did run into some insane shiny luck, my future targets that are in each category are too far into the future to access/complete in two month’s time, so I’m not sure what value my opinion holds here :p

--------------

Off-topic, but it was really unusual to see two local people making big news today. I think they’re like the only two people in our area that have celebrity status, and they both make national news on the same day…Talk about odds o_O

Anyways, I did 400 SRs and 500 REs today. I actually watched the Super Bowl tonight, too. I haven’t watched it in maybe 5-10 years, as I have little-to-no interest in watching sports…I just can’t justify watching a 4-5 hour game when 80%+ of that time contains no action or content I care about. I suppose I can understand the interest more if you watch games with friends, or when you’re making bets on the outcomes (pff, like I need another bad habit)…

But I digress >.> At any rate, I only watched it because I could stream it on my laptop while hunting, and it gave me something to watch which made hunting less tedious, and the hunting gave me a distraction from all the boring moments in between plays, so they worked out well together :p

Really hoping to find a Pidgey soon on HeartGold. Black 2 isn’t over the odds just yet, but it’s close…Funny thing, I’m actually partly hoping for a Magnemite. I just need one more to be able to have the whole evolutionary line, and then I’ll be able to have the evolutionary line of everything from Virbank Complex (except for Growlithe, and technically Elekid). Then again, it’s been almost a year, and over 100k total REs in Virbank…I’m beyond ready for a shiny Growlithe x.X I guess I'll just hope that if Growlithe isn't the one to shine next, then at least let a Magnemite shine instead ^ ^

Good luck on all your hunts :)

DetectivexConan

Hey everyone. I am trying to breed a shiny Male Nidoran in gen 6 using the mashuda method. I am using a Japanese Ditto with an English Female Nidoran that knows hustle. Believe it or not, I've ended up with five shiny females in the long process and not a single shiny male. Am I just getting unlucky, or is there some weird reason that I don't actually have a boosted chance to hatch a male shiny because I am using a female nidoran with the ditto (or for some other reason unknown to me)? I appreciate any info that anyone can provide. Please let me know if patience will eventually reward me with the shiny male or if something is wrong and I should try something else?

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter

I'm not sure how I feel about having to provide photo proof.. Like Cpchris said, I feel like everyone here is pretty trustworthy. Just proving the usual 'community hunt complete' in bold should make browsing through easier, but its up to you. Also, and I know some people probably won't like this, but I think CF and FS shinies shouldn't count for CH's. It'll make things way more easier for you to track and CH's will be more challenging like how it was before XY. Also, the 3 part idea for March's CH is really cool, so no complaints there. :]

Hey everyone. I am trying to breed a shiny Male Nidoran in gen 6 using the mashuda method. I am using a Japanese Ditto with an English Female Nidoran that knows hustle. Believe it or not, I've ended up with five shiny females in the long process and not a single shiny male. Am I just getting unlucky, or is there some weird reason that I don't actually have a boosted chance to hatch a male shiny because I am using a female nidoran with the ditto (or for some other reason unknown to me)? I appreciate any info that anyone can provide. Please let me know if patience will eventually reward me with the shiny male or if something is wrong and I should try something else?

I can't actually remember if this is the case, but isn't the chance only random with both genders? Have you gotten any male Nidorans at all while hatching?

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
Babies made from a female Nidoran have a 50% chacne of being male or female. Tho I have noticed a bias toward the gender of the parent when breeding with a Ditto, ex: Im trying to get a male Pikachu with Volt Tackle atm. and the Ditto+Pikachu F tend to have a 60-65% bias towards making female Pikachu.

The reported stats are 50% but looking at my box of hatched there is a definite trend that leans to females being more common.

DetectivexConan

Yes, about half of the normal, non shiny eggs that hatch are males, and the other half are females as one would expect. However, all five of the shiny nidorans I have gotten are female. This is making me wonder if I'm really just getting bad luck or if for some reason only the gender mating with the ditto has the increased mashuda shiny boost. That would be unfortunate, it would mean I've been wasting my time all along. I'm sure this sounds silly, but after five shiny females in a row I'm getting a little paranoid lol.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
It's been one of "those days"...

1,259 hordes into phase 2 of my seviper hunt, I hear sparkles. But it's not my neon-colored fang snake. It's another freaking shiny wingull (community hunt complete!) Not needing two shiny wingull, I put the new one on the GTS asking for a ditto, and then traded that ditto for a Japanese ditto. So I'm covered for any future MMing I choose to do.

Only 54 hordes into phase 3 of the seviper hunt, I hear sparkles again. But it's still not seviper ¬.¬ No, this time it was...

[IMG139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/Picture6141_zpsef18db8f.jpg[/IMG139]

...a shiny taillow. Community hunt complete x2! That's one whole pair in less than an hour.

I'm gonna go beat up the Shalour City gym leader before I get back to phase 4 of the seviper hunt. I need to work off some irritation.

After I get seviper I'm contemplating repel trick hunting for carbink in Reflection Cave

Edit: *groans* Ekans is still being a butt. Another hatch spree has ended without a green rattlesnake showing itself. Back to Route 3 for more eggs...

Last edited:

GildedScizor

The drinking bird
I'm still on my self-imposed team challenge, trying to recreate my original Y playthrough team in shiny form and then I plan on using it to crush the Battle Maison in style. Halfway through and been trying for about two weeks now for a Torchic and said "if it's not in this last batch of eggs I'm moving on." The second last egg did it. Only problem is that it's Calm natured and has Blaze. Arguably the worst possible Torchic. Not that I'm much of a competitive battler but still....Oh well, still happy. 4 down, 2 to go, moving on to Honedge now!

Also congrats and good luck to everyone on their shiny hunts!

Keovix

Congratulations to everyone on your shinies!

It's been a while since my last post, almost 2 weeks ago I found the shiny Groudon in SS, it has Adamant nature and a HP IV of either 30 or 31, very happy about that hunt 'cos the synch worked and it didn't took too many SR. Currently hunting shiny Mewtwo in the same game.
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/Mobile%20Uploads/DSCN2351_zps6281d5ae.jpg

Last week I managed to get the shiny charm in Pokemon X so I decided to give it a try and yesterday I found two shiny Mienfoo and one shiny Hariyama in the FS, trying to catch a shiny Throh there.
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/Mobile%20Uploads/DSCN2357_zps7c1ddfce.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/keovix/Mobile%20Uploads/DSCN2370_zps4740ed1c.jpg

I was also SR for a shiny Virizion in Black2 and White2 with the shiny charm in both games and after 5855 SR I took a break from it, will restart that hunt in a couple of days though.

Good luck on your current hunts!

Tina

Boy Skylark
Congrats everyone on your new shinies and goodluck to those still hunting! ^u^

I just reached 3002 resets for Lugia, this is my 4th day of hunting. Still really hoping it doesnt go over 10K... But i'm probably hexing myself by saying that xD.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I really like the 3 part community hunt for this at least for 1 CH. Maybe you only need 2 to complete it. Also while we are talking about hunts ahead of time. We should have a hunt in every gen the month after. Like gen 3 route # gen 4 route # gen 5 route # and so forth. I kinda like the idea of community hunts with a lot of pokemon but i felt more connected before when we did it with a route. Everyone was fighting for the same 2-3 shinies in that one route. Last hunt everyone basically completed it without trying, this hunt (even though im being a little hypocritical wanting to advocate for latias being put in just because Im hunting for it) has a lot of shinies also. Im thinking maybe we should make it so you do have to get BOTH shinies in the love pairs. Making it more difficult. Because I liked the lowered odds CH's and the less amount of pokemon. I mean picking a certain poke gives room to just friend safari'ing it which could take a day (not discounting FS shinies at all It took me 2 weeks to get mine) but I feel like the more challenging less pokemon CH's are the funnest. I remember back in Black and White we would have a route 2 hunt or a litwick in the ghost tower hunt and every time someone caught one it was awesome everyone was so much more connected. I think we should take more thought into which hunts we do and im glad you're thinking about it this early.

I must agree with Gligari. I really liked when people were restricted to a low amount of Pokémon to hunt. I mean, you always have the choice of not participate, but those who entered could become closer as most of them are hunting a common Pokémon. The grab bags and pairs are good ideas, no doubt, but it just feels less fun to enter the community hunt when you know probably nobody will compete with you. Being limited to few Pokémon increases the challenge of finding one first, or the fun of finding one better than the others (nature, stats and ability, for instance) as well as being able to think "I got one too! I'm like the others, too!".

I don't think providing a photo proof would be any good. Yes, I love to see pictures and I always enjoy looking at someone's personal shiny (that's why I do it myself). But like Cpchris and Supremacy mentioned, I don't think there are many, if at all, not trust worthy people on this thread. That'd just limit some people from participating in the community hunt. If you really are looking for something that could help you collect community hunt participants more easily, than why don't you ask them to write "Community Hunt Complete!" in a more obvious way ? You could ask them to put it in size 3, bold with the red color so you could very easily notice everyone who manages to find a shiny being in the community hunt. I know a lot of people putting some simple bold in their paragraphs here and I doubt it helps when you are collecting participants, right ?

As for the March community hunt, I'm all for it. Grab bags are fun and this one looks more challenging. I may not participate, though, as I doubt I'll find Kyogre any sooner. But if I could, I'd definitely try to do it. That's a great idea. :)

Last edited:

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny

Meowth / Persian
Diglett / Dugtrio
Lugia
Feebas / Milotic
Shieldon / Bastiodon
Mienfoo / Mienshao
Spritzee / Aromatisse

Pansage / Simisage
Mime Jr. / Mr. Mime
Dragonite
Mankey / Primeape
Grimer / Muk
Huntail
Doduo / Dodrio
Zubat / Golbat
Lileep
Woobat

Caterpie
Gorebyss
Lickitung / Lickilicky
Girafarig
Pineco / Forretress
Silcoon
Buizel / Floatzel
Hoothoot
Ferrothorn
Torchic / Combusken
Swablu / Altaria
Piloswine

I think it should all depend on the game. If you're SR'ing on a Gen IV/V game, you only need one hunt, but if you use Gen VI, than you should start considering multi-steps. Please don't do the summary thing though, that will severely limit quite a few people, me included, I don't want to just throw this out, but it is a suggestion. What if you started a new thread and found someone to help you manage the CH completions.

Dangertrout

Just going to respond to the first point quickly.
The issue I'm having is the vast number of people completing hunts making it difficult to track, even with the ability to just browse the thread for the "CH complete" marker.
So right now we have zero people on the front page.

First off, it's not a trust issue, so don't worry about that.

I'm not saying that people who can't upload can't PARTICIPATE in the CH, the current method of announcement would still stand.
The difference is only that the ones who take the time to upload pics would get to be on the front page.

I could go with only recording when we do hunts outside of X&Y, but that solution has it's own problems.
When I suggest generation exclusive hunts I often get a lot of resistance because people want to hunt in their favorite games, not the ones sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
Also, some people only started playing this year and therefor only have the new game.

Anyways, continue discussing and I'll continue to think on it.