• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

manske90

I've been MM for a Tepig for weeks. 1200 or so eggs. With the shiny charm. Still no gold pig. In this time I have caught the following shinies:

Frogadier
Ivysaur
Audino
Zubat
Woobat

And I hatched a random egg in my boxes that turned out to be a 4iv HA shiny Charmander.

So yeah, this pig is driving me crazy.

Well, after I got the shiny charm, I decided to shiny hunt by doing hordes. My target is a shiny male Nidoran.
After 3 days, I found a shiny Stunky instead, it's not my target pokémon, but it's my first horde shiny. Plus the color looks nice on it~

AmazingChi

Volcanic Rage
I was attempting to Masuda a Noibat (got to 98 eggs) and then Bank came out. Now, a few days later with a Shiny Charm and a perfect Japanese Ditto I returned to MMing yesterday in 90 egg batches. Just started by second round of hatches when THE FIRST ONE comes out blue. Finished off that party of 5 before running off to the IV man. He tells me it's outstanding (unsurprising considering the parents have 11 31s between them). He continues: HP, Att... my heart sank, that meant it's got that off the Ditto and that the random is probably going to be speed, knowing my luck... Def, SpA, SpD... Speed. I'm flailing. It's literally perfect [Infiltrator - I'd been getting a silly amount of Frisks in the first 90]. Well, that's my luck used up for the year, probably won't seem around this thread again!

Still, gonna try the challenge next with a Tyrunt... once I've hatched the other 85 Noibat, of course.

Slushie

Requiescat en pace.
I was in the water friend safari looking for a shiny Azumarill or Gyarados, and I stumbled upon a shiny Bibarel. Well, I was doing this for about an hour or so, so I was pretty used to running away and by mistake I hit the 'Run' button instead of the 'Bag' button.....

But anyways I forced myself to leave the safari and to go and look for a shiny Shuppet in the ghost safari.

R.I.P. Shiny Bibarel

sdotj

Found a shiny fletchinder in a friend safari this morning, but sync didn't work nor did it have gale wings. I was mad. Will continue to look for a gale wings adamant now that I have the shiny charm. Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
After 2,050 eggs shiny Fletchling hatches!

Andddd, it has Big Pecks.

.... I'm just gonna go cry in a corner now. ;-;

sdotj

I know that feel bro. I hatched one with big pecks and I was sooo mad. Now I found one in the fs and it had flame body and I was soo mad again. Just keep trying I guess

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Long time since my last update...

I'm literally hours away from getting my Shiny Charm... I just need to pal park a few pokemon to Pearl in around 12 hours time, then transport them to Black2 & then transporter them to Bank... so long winded lol.

Once that's done, i'll double check i've got them all by trying to get the Shiny Charm, if i do, then i'll be shifting all pokemon to Bank, and restarting X & Y to do a badge quest on each game.

I had a Shiny Karrablast I caught while hunting for a Timid Haunter...promptly traded it for a Zapdos because the Karrablast was Modest.

Right now I am about to enter the grass for the first time postgame and I know Moltres is about to jump me and then run for it. What I need to know, before I waste time, is can I get the Roaming Legendry Bird to spawn as Shiny.

I'd really like to know before I spend time Soft Resetting for it to happen.

All legendaries in X/Y are fixed to be non shiny.

Last edited:

WandererBeta

I had a Shiny Karrablast I caught while hunting for a Timid Haunter...promptly traded it for a Zapdos because the Karrablast was Modest.

Right now I am about to enter the grass for the first time postgame and I know Moltres is about to jump me and then run for it. What I need to know, before I waste time, is can I get the Roaming Legendry Bird to spawn as Shiny.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

No, as far as everyone can tell, ALL legendaries in XY are shiny locked - Xerneas/Yvetal, Zygarde, the birds, and Mewtwo. Many people have SR'd for them thousands of times and no one has gotten a shiny.

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
Whoa, shiny charm + FS sounds like some potent stuff.

I was traded a shiny Larvesta... not how I wanted the effort of boxes and boxes of MM Larvesta to end up, but I'm really happy to have her. She, Venipede, and my Scizor will be the shining stars of my new team. x__x Their colors totally compliment, too. Hhhhgn. So many bug sparkles.

e:

Aw, but Flamebody talonflame is still very good... equipping it with rocky helmet really puts a satisfying hurt and burn to those looking to exploit its weak physical defense, anyway.
It's a shame pokemon with flame body coupled with Talonflame lead don't just melt right out of their shells after like 100 steps. Would have made the boxes and boxes of Larvesta much less painful. :/

Last edited:

Xerneltal

Sonic aficionado
Well, it's official. I finally have a shiny that isn't the Lake of Rage Gyarados! A friend of mine on Deviant Art, who I exchanged friend codes with, gave me a shiny Eevee. I just evolved it into Glaceon, and while it's not that big a color change from regular Glaceon, it sure is pretty! ^^ Also, it completed my Eeveelution collection.

Vaksa

Shiny Hunter
While working on filling out my pokedex, I bred a single egg from my Kabutops to get a Kabuto. Which promptly hatched shiny. I cannot even begin to tell you how many eggs of various species I have hatched in attempts to get a shiny, and then this little bugger has the nerve to pop in. A shiny is a shiny, I suppose.

Also, thanks to Pokemon Bank, I've finally been reunited with my precious shiny Japanese Salamence. Between that and all the other shinies I finally got to this game, I guess I can't really complain. :3

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.

Oh man...that REALLY stinks.
But hey, you got a shiny. :3

As for me. Nothing since Tangela...but...I did some research.
A shiny Jirachi...IS possible to get!

I have the special Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc, and I was planning on getting a box full of Jirachi to send to Pokemon X and Y to randomly Wonder trade off at the end of the month...but now I have a much BIGGER reason as to why I want to do so.
You can ACTUALLY get a shiny out of it. I have no real clue HOW yet, it is still not a well talked about topic.
Jirachi is, without a doubt, my favorite legendary, so learning that it could ACTUALLY be possible to get one as a Shiny, I couldn't help but grow super happy.

So...after I get my Ivysaur...maybe even WHILE I am looking for the Ivysaur, I will Hard Reset for one. (It isn't the same as Soft Reseting...sadly.)

Enjoy being frustrated at nintendo for not allowing it through Bank.
What do you mean by that. It would have the OT of WISHMKR, meaning it is a legit.
I have not heard anything on WISHMKR Jirachi not going through.
Not to mention, that was a bit of a Kill Joy...*sigh*

Sorry to kill your joy, but yeah, Shiny WISHMKR Jirachi, even legitimate ones, won't go through Pokebank/Transporter. I should know, as I have one.

Normal WISHMKR Jirachi will go through, shiny ones however, will not.

A shiny one is never considered as legitimate by Game Freak, it can't even be uploaded into 5th Gen GTS, in the same way you cannot trade away a Level 9 or under Resh/Zek.

From what I've heard, the reason why it is not considered as legitimate, is because it was never meant to be able to shine. Apparently, while all the other Pokemon has 1 shiny check (that is a check that determines whether a Pokemon is shiny or not), this Jirachi has 2. It is possible that the 2 shiny check is meant to make it way harder to get a shiny one, as you're dealing with 1/8192 being rolled twice. If the first check produces a shiny, the second check will roll, and will most likely change the result of the first check. Therefore, while it is still possible to obtain a shiny (on the second check), the chance of it happening is so slim you might as well consider it not possible - you basically have to encounter two shinies in a row with the standard 1/8192 chance.

However, people eventually found a way to bypass the double shiny check, iirc it was through some kind of RNG abuse.

I think that's what makes GF create and implement shiny lock, which instead of making it harder to get a shiny, it completely lock the shiny form out by having 1 check that always roll again if it produces a shiny - basically, an infinite shiny check.

Another theory I've also heard is that the Jirachi already has a shiny lock on it - it's just not activated for whatever reason, probably the programmer forgot to activate it.
That would also explain why GF refuse to admit Shiny Jirachi is possible - because it was supposed to be not possible to shine.

In addition to that, there are only 9 possible Natures for a Shiny Jirachi due to how the system works back then, which somewhat makes it even harder to get a shiny one.

...Sigh. Just another thing to make my life suck.
Thank-you for telling me before I wasted my time and had my heart crushed even more then it already has been. I'll go back to hunting Ivysaur then...and forget a Shiny Jirachi ever could be possible.

Last edited:

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I love how I still haven't found a shiny after having the charm. Oy vey.

Congrats to everyone else.

DragonXmicro

何これ?かえったね。
Oh man...that REALLY stinks.
But hey, you got a shiny. :3

As for me. Nothing since Tangela...but...I did some research.
A shiny Jirachi...IS possible to get!

I have the special Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc, and I was planning on getting a box full of Jirachi to send to Pokemon X and Y to randomly Wonder trade off at the end of the month...but now I have a much BIGGER reason as to why I want to do so.
You can ACTUALLY get a shiny out of it. I have no real clue HOW yet, it is still not a well talked about topic.
Jirachi is, without a doubt, my favorite legendary, so learning that it could ACTUALLY be possible to get one as a Shiny, I couldn't help but grow super happy.

So...after I get my Ivysaur...maybe even WHILE I am looking for the Ivysaur, I will Hard Reset for one. (It isn't the same as Soft Reseting...sadly.)

Enjoy being frustrated at nintendo for not allowing it through Bank.

In other shiny news: I've started a hunt to reclaim what i lost 8 years ago: a shiny Electrike from my old emerald. im only like 15 eggs in. i don't care how long it takes, either

Nerdboyiam

Unlucky Hunter
Well first off congrats to all on their new shinies! Decided to hunt roggenrola for the community hunt doing some horde battles. My 3rd horde coughed up a shiny Mime jr. Was surprised since I've been on a 2 month dry spell. Went to train the little guy after MM some roggenrola to no avail just to find another shiny Mime jr in my 3rd horde.

Last edited: