• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, I'm still waiting for my first Unova shiny (it's taking forever and ever and ever...), but at least I finally got a fresh new shiny, the first non-repeat with the shiny charm (third overall). While trying to hatch my woobat eggs by the Village Bridge, I found a shiny zangoose! Luckily I had the sense to switch out my flame body volcarona before it could be burned. I thought it had a critical capture at one point, but somehow it still broke out. o_O At least I caught it in an ultra ball.

It's male, impish nature, and likes to run.

I hope, hope, hope, HOPE the next shiny will be 5th gen, woobat or not.

MurderofKrow

Bird Brain
Well.... Another shiny appeared in the Safari Zone in HG, and guess what.... I was able to freaking catch it! It is a shiny Gastly in 790 REs, 3483 REs combined with the number from the lost Smeargle. It's kind of funny, because they both are shinies I already have in Y, The Gastly is a Gengar now. Another funny thing is the fact that my heart was pounding like crazy when I saw that it was shiny and trying to catch it. I am now hunting for BQ #7 in the Ruins of Alph.

As for the rest of my hunts. I'm at 20590 REs for BQ #2 in B2, and 510 MMs for Shelmet in Y. Congrats to the recent shinies, especially Supremacy on Scatterbug and
pokemaster13 on the completed BQ. Also good luck to all ongoing hunts especially Cpchris on Grolithe, TheMaster327 on the bird trio, and Psynergy on Tornadus. Sorry to hear that you lost that Snover, Rain Dance. Hope you get it again soon.

LullabyVullaby

Shiny Collector
I'm back as well after getting a really bad fever which I had for about a week! I just want to give a huge congrats to CpChris on that magnificent Giritina and to Supremacy on finally getting that shiny Scatterbug although I'm a bit sad he's farther ahead of me now :'( also congrats to Aqua on the blitzle!

Update-wise I am at 2500 SRs for Chimchar now that I've gotten back into seriously hunting and I'm aslo at 2054 SRs for Fennekin. Not going to expect anything soon but now I'm on spring break so I can get a lot more hunting done over this week. Hopefully I'll hit 5k for both or get a shiny lol. I don't mind waiting anyway good luck with all your hunts everyone!

KantoMasta

call me KM!
So Storm and Pokemaster inspired me...

I started my own badgequest on B2 but I have a couple questions. Does my first shiny HAVE to be my starter? I absolutely DESPISE SR'g. (Although those kanto bird look worth it ;) Can I just RE my first and box my starter? Oh, and more of a general question, but what do you guys do while shiny hunting to occupy the time?

Laurelai

Continuing to work on my CH, I decided that I was tired of MMing my current target (will continue now) because I generally MM for control of nature and stats. Well, I was getting tired of egging, so I decided to use the FS this time. So off I hopped to a bug safari and began tracking for Beautifly. There were tons of Butterfree, so when this popped up,
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/Butterfree_zps8bd2ea44.jpg
I was not surprised. My timid sync did not work, but that's ok, Butterfree is not a pokemon I am planning on using competitively but gosh darn is it cute. 20-ish encounters later,
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/Beautifly_zps9bb4490b.jpg appeared! Yay! Next step in my CH.... except Beautifly cannot learn Sunny Day by leveling up I discover. !@$%$ should have done my research a bit better. And again, timid sync did not work. Ah well, its still lovely :)

Ok! So off to a grass safari with 2 of 3 pokemon that learn Sunny Day are present (Sunkern, Sawsbuck and Maractus were there). So what pops? the 1/3 that cannot learn Sunny Day :p
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/Sawsbuck_zps77927eaf.jpg
Annnnnd of course, timid sync now decided to kick in with a physical attacker >.<

Onward to glory!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/Maractus_zpsc72117d9.jpg
Yay! A pretty purple cactus and this episode of this month's CH is completed.

Now to hatch that egg......

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Congrats on your BQ Pokemaster!

Cyberra, you know what's worse than fanfics? Creepypastas. They get addicting at one point.

I'll take your word for that, as I have no idea what creepypastas are >.>;;;

What to know what is worse than both of those.
WRITING the Fan Fictions. I have to juggle whether I should write or not, and than I lose interest in writing, and then...it gets really ugly.

XD I DO write fanfics, both solo and as roleplay-style co-writing with other fanfic authors. And I beta-read for several more, since I am notorious for hating typos and grammar goofs *glares at everyone in this thread who sticks apostrophes in places they don't belong*

I rarely post in here but I do have good news.

I am currently looking for a Sableye in Reflecting Cave for nat dex reasons and I've yet to come across one, what I did come across was a shiny Roggenrola, which I named Amethyst. I freaked out as it is my 2nd ever shiny that I've encountered AND like my first, it was under 100 REs and caught with a critical capture.

It has an Impish nature so I may even use it online.

Congrats on the roggenrola ^_^ I have a shiny gigalith named Amethyst in Black 2, though I bred her instead of REing. Longest MM hunt yet.

My MM for deerling has once again come up empty. I'll be beginning egg collection for round 5 shortly, once I get the running around over with.

In Y, I am DONE with scatterbugs for the time being. I've been REing at night but MMing during the day, since I promised a friend a shiny polar vivillon. I hatched a male shiny scatterbug at 400 eggs, and earlier this evening a female hatched from egg 1,639. Making scatterbug my longest Gen VI MM yet. Though something else is probably going to break that record eventually...

Sparky Mc-S

Let the sparks fly~
Finally! After 1971 SRs, my SS BQ can begin. I was secretly hoping for a Cyndaquil too~
For some reason, the games like to give me shiny, female starters.

Last edited:

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well after my Absol, Izanagi, I went on to MM Gible and less than three hours of hatching eggs today, A little Jolly male shone on egg 86 named him Teostra after the garchomp I IV breed earlier and is in theroy it's grandmother Lunastra. Went and checked it's IV's and it's also another 4IV with 31/X/31/X/31/31 too bad it's missing attack but oh well...

Shiny Gible!.JPG

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
So Storm and Pokemaster inspired me...

I started my own badgequest on B2 but I have a couple questions. Does my first shiny HAVE to be my starter? I absolutely DESPISE SR'g. (Although those kanto bird look worth it ;) Can I just RE my first and box my starter? Oh, and more of a general question, but what do you guys do while shiny hunting to occupy the time?

Your first shiny does not have to be your starter - a badge quest is a self-imposed challenge, so you can do as you wish. The only basic rule is to obtain a shiny before every badge. I don't think there are even rules about having to use them on your team or not, but most people do.
Personally, I watch anime whilst shiny hunting. I only recently became quite interested in it, so I still look forward to watching it, and it makes long hunts more bearable. Most people will watch stuff, like movies or other shiny hunts on Youtube, or they'll just listen to music or something. I usually take my DS with me on long car journeys to hunt, as well.

Anyway, congratulations on all the recent shinies, and sorry to hear about that Snover, Rain Dance.

Didn't do much hunting yesterday - I haven't been, recently, but my total SRs for Lugia are now up to 21,587, so we'll see how much longer this hunt takes.

Good luck to everybody hunting!

Dangertrout

Finished hatching my 500 swinub eggs and found a second shiny swinub in egg #411.
Unfortunately, both shinies are missing the atk IV, so they will have to sit in my trophy box.
Now I'm boxing up another 500 eggs of different species for the trophy box.
So far I have Rotom and Koffing in there

Last edited:

Goedjuh

Congrats everyone on your new shinies!
Luck isn't on my side unfortunately... I'm hatched 900 eggs for a shiny Litleo, but still nothing. I almost give on hope for this one...

Misjie

Shiny hunter
Hi everyone! It's been a while now since I last posted... Major congratz on all those amazing hunts that are finished! Lots of BQ's lately. Sorry for the blank congratz but I did read every single post!

Since my shiny caterpie I didn't came across anything shiny. I didn't want to MM so I started to look for my second badge quest member in pokémon Y on route 6. Really hoping for an Espurr but I will gladly take anything that shines. Furthermore I started a BQ on my old pokemon HG. I'm really hoping for a Chikorita but I would be happy with any of those!

Good luck on the ongoing hunts!

I'm sorry for the lost Snover but I hope you will reclaim it!

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
I'll take your word for that, as I have no idea what creepypastas are >.>;;;
OK, you know how people will sit around campfires and tell scary stories? Creepypastas are basically the online version of that.

Now then. OK, all I gotta say is, my cousin is some sort of good luck charm for me. First, he was there when I fished up that Shiny Dratini. Then, he was there when I encountered that Shiny Noibat. And now... I was doing horde encounters on Route 20. A fainted Adamant Synchronize Abra was in the lead, and my Illumise was spamming Sweet Scent. At some point during this, he shows up and we start talking. Roughly 10 minutes later, BAM! Shiny Trevenant! Took out the other four Trevenant with Klinklang's Gear Grind, paralyzed the Shiny with Thunder Wave, threw a single Premier Ball, and success! Better still, the Synchronizer managed to work his magic- she's Adamant and has Natural Cure! OK, actually, she had Frisk at first, I used an Ability Capsule to change it.

Earlier, I had attempted to do a little chain fishing in Shalour City, hoping for a Shiny Chinchou (though more realistically expecting a Shiny Remoraid). Unfortunately, I reeled it in prematurely when the chain was, I think, pushing 40. But yeah, the Trevenant kinda definitely makes up for it. :D

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Thanks for the gratz everyone!

I managed to beat Grant after two fails and I've begun SRing for Amaura. These soft resets are a breeze compared to when I was going for Fennekin; I often find myself spamming the B button more than I should since I'm use to the longer SRs lol. I'm just happy I got the two most challenging hunts on this BQ out of the way; the rest of my hunts are gonna be pretty straight-forward with me taking whatever shines first. Although, just like my other BQs, I'm only sticking to RE/SR hunts. CFing and horde hunting cheapens the challenge imo, especially for BQs, so I won't be doing those methods. Hopefully everything goes smoothly! I don't track my SRs so I'm not sure how many I have done for Amaura but lets hope it doesn't take too long. :]

Gratz on the recent shinies and good luck everyone!

mellowrush

I haven't been playing a lot with Pokémon Y, but in a quick session I was so lucky to find this little fellow in the safari zone : a shiny Pikachu! (does seem like a normal one though)
http://s328.photobucket.com/user/mellowrush/media/_20140414_235037_zpsvxdd5axp.jpg.html
In other news: I've decided to begin my first badge quest! Either in pokemon fire red or black...any advice on the one I should tackle first? I was thinking to go in chronological order, but I'm open to suggestions..
( I actually started pokemon fire red in the meantime... Goal: shiny squirtle!)
Congratulations everyone! Keep up with the good work ^_^

avsimone

Magma Trainer
Ok, so I was breeding Lucario, completely not expecting anything to come of it, when suddenly a shiny Riolu happened. (AWESOME!) It had three egg moves: vacuum wave, high jump kick and bullet punch. (pretty awesome!) but it's quiet nature... (not so awesome... but still kinda awesome). So I figure, I might as well just leave it in the trophy box, maybe train it up to be a mixed revenge killer. I figure I'll start breeding for Shiniest when I've got all the Pokemon I want set.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Still nothing on my Hail hunt, but I am now using a male Cute Charm Delcatty to help me improve the odds of a female snorunt if it ends up shiny.

Rotifer

Congrats on all the shinies that y'all have gotten over the past few weeks! I'm sorry that I'm not naming names individually... It would take to long to read back through all of those pages!

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly since I've been discouraged with hunting recently. I've still been trying to get my hands on a shiny starly, a shiny which has eluded me despite whatever method I might try... I've gone through getting two non-starly horde shinies off of route 11, enduring countless chains in Platinum inexplicably breaking (while somehow getting two shiny bidoof), and now braving roughly
1,050 non-shiny eggs on my Y game.

I think it's kind of funny that starly is now my second longest ever masuda method hunt, even when the odds have been raised this generation! It's looking like it will vie for the gold alongside the 1,646 eggs it took for charmander back on White. I had incredibly good luck with that game... getting all 5 my shinies (except for you, charmander) in under 1,000 eggs. I even got one in 23 and another in 54! Maybe my good luck is coming back to bite me on this starly hunt.

But I've got a bit of good news! My friend who recently got a shiny charm went through 1,100 litleo eggs with nothing, and decided she was going to get a shiny charmander this weekend... She got one with 4 IVs and three egg moves in about 200 eggs! I'm so happy for her since it's her first masuda shiny. She was convinced that masuda method didn't work for a while since her luck was so bad!

Inspired by her awesome charmander I've now set up my starly parents again, breeding with a foreign, adamant 5 IV fletchling and a 4 IV (for now) HA starly with the egg moves steel wing and double edge. When (and if) it finally hatches it will be well worth the wait... I've never bred a shiny with any IVs or a hidden ability before!

Wish me luck! I really don't want to go double the odds!

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Uhh... WHAT!?

I can't believe this.. I just started this hunt today and it's already here! This beauty has a Serious nature and Capable of taking hits, which is a possible max IV in defense, so not bad! This hunt went by so fast that I haven't thought of a nickname for it yet, so if anyone has any ideas feel free to let me know :] At this point I have no idea where to hunt next. I'll just beat the next gym and see what my best option is and go on from there.

So this also means... Community hunt complete 1/3!

It's been awhile since I've said that lol. Well, gratz on the recent shinies everyone and good luck!! :]